• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Boss!

Made some Aloo Dum.

It is lightly fried potatoes in a spicy coconut/fennel seed/yogurt gravy. No tomatoes...the color comes from the paprika.

P1020696.jpg

RbBrdMan said:
Look, look I made a pizza last night. From scratch. Well I used canned sauce. But everything else was homemade.

It's not as awesome as some of the 5 star delights I've seen in this thread but I was proud of myself. :D

4033357640_d7c45d3caa_o.jpg

It looks good enough. And better than some chains like Dominos

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Where's your foods, people?
The "empty the freezer" period has started here, we hat a few hashed browns left over, so it was (think this, but with hash browns):
smallP1030130.jpg

Yes Boss!

OnkelC said:

I've been cooking daily but I'm doing only Dal dishes for another week so I've been repeating older dishes with slight variations. I only like to post when I do something new.

I'll post some new stuff after a week!

That said, this morning I stir-fried asparagus with cumin seed and lemon juice for a very refreshing side.

So, what various sorcery has IronGAF came up with regarding Couscous over the years? At 24 years of age, I FINALLY managed to get ahold of some apparently from France earlier this week that we fixed to good and speedy effect with some clay pot lamb that did not lack broth---though nor was there a massive abundance of it.

I had thought of using it with ground buffalo and my usual tricks instead of pasta for instance...

Also, randomly, what is it that makes the range of sauces available for chicken wings/tenders such that it is in terms of most eateries? I mean, I can think of some stuff that would strike me as nifty to it that would normally be served cold or roomtemp---but likewise BBQ sauce and most hot sauces would also apply. Has it something to do with reaction to cooking heat?

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
The "empty the freezer" period has started here, we hat a few hashed browns left over, so it was (think this, but with hash browns):

Busy pursuing a career in the restaurant business and will one day hopefully lead me to opening my own restaurant.

But since you asked you shall receive! Due to my new living situation I'm very limited in my selection of cookware so I have tried to do the best I can. At least I got a new lense so the pics should look nice.

Today was my day off work so one of my rare occasions I will cook these days:

lets start with cremini mushrooms, red potatoes, a ribeye steak, sea scallops, smoked bacon, shallots, garlic, and some butter.
4041079574_afbb3dc11b_o.jpg

Let's roast the potatoes and mushrooms with some salt, pepper, oil, and crushed garlic
4040332337_cf473716e9_o.jpg

salt, pepper, and an experiment; taco seasoning (it wasn't bad but lets say I won't be trying that again)

4041080884_efbc501370_o.jpg

Sear and bake the steak to medium rare and let it rest
4041095954_1a6ef6623e_o.jpg

Now blanch some baby spinach, make a bed of it, place the scallops and crisped bacon on top and set it next to the ribeye and serve with the side of roasted red potatoes and cremini mushrooms
4040333735_a63f5b27ba_o.jpg

4040334117_8fbc4ce9ba_o.jpg

End result: Somewhat disappointing to my standards, some of the scallops were overcooked since I don't cook scallops much and I should have taken the smaller ones out first since they cooked faster. The steak could have been a little rarer. Overall it was alright but I know better for next time.

Upgrading my quick and dirty egg muffin from last week, I have this:

Did a real egg poach this time around (so fucking easy, can't believe people think this is tough), some awesome black forest deli ham, a nice marble cheddar.

numble

Zyzyxxz said:
Busy pursuing a career in the restaurant business and will one day hopefully lead me to opening my own restaurant.
Where are you planning on opening a restaurant? And what type?

Steppenwolf said:
I don't want to crush your feelings but this is definately no real black forest ham. Black forest ham is smoked and looks a lot darker.
No hurt feelings. :) It's not "traditional" black forest ham to be sure.

Hm...pumpkin pancakes. Brilliant and seasonal!

I've been busy w/ traveling for my new job so I haven't been able to cook as much lately. Went to Fleur de Lys in SF last week and it was PHENOMENAL. Best restaurant meal EVAR.

Some highlights of the meal:

4038408907_73db880c36.jpg

amuse bouche: fava bean puree and a cold creamy lemongrass soup.

4039158862_7cc2319b16.jpg

crab salad and lobster mousse

4038409119_612f508d14.jpg

prawn and pork belly. OMG flavor explosion in my mouth.

4038409227_a9a8e2f0ac.jpg

perfectly cooked lamb. Don't under-estimate the power of perfectly cooked lamb.

4039159054_4571bfb3b7.jpg

OMG truffles. dying.

Complete write-up of it here:
http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/2009/10/fleur-de-lys-sf-meal-of-a-lifetime/

I *highly* recommend this restaurant. I drank a lot of wine to prepare myself for sticker shock when the bill came, but I didn't really need to. The meal was definitely worth it. Total damage cost about the same as a PS3.

entremet

Nice pics, NS. I heard great things about Fleur De Lys. Speaking of lamb. I cooked a rack recently. It's one of my occasional splurges, but it came out great.

I purchased a 1.5 pound/680g rack from Whole Foods, seasoned it with salt and pepper, seared on the stove top in olive oli and butter, basting the fat with additions of whole garlic for flavor.

Here's rack the out of the oven
IMG_0011.jpg

Here's the individual chops. I researed them since they were slightly below rare. I prefer lamb medium rare.
IMG_0014.jpg

Time to dig in.
IMG_0015.jpg

Zyzyxxz

entrement said:
Nice pics, NS. I heard great things about Fleur De Lys. Speaking of lamb. I cooked a rack recently. It's one of my occasional splurges, but it came out great.

I purchased a 1.5 pound/680g rack from Whole Foods, seasoned it with salt and pepper, seared on the stove top in olive oli and butter, basting the fat with additions of whole garlic for flavor.

nice, I've never had the chance to cook a rack of lam but I'm sure I'll probably try it soon.

nakedsushi said:
Hm...pumpkin pancakes. Brilliant and seasonal!

I've been busy w/ traveling for my new job so I haven't been able to cook as much lately. Went to Fleur de Lys in SF last week and it was PHENOMENAL. Best restaurant meal EVAR.

SOOO JEALOUS!!!

numble said:
Where are you planning on opening a restaurant? And what type?

Hopefully in about 5 years time when I think I should have enough experience I will try to find a good location in Southern California where I am from, preferably in the San Gabriel Valley.

Most likely I'm gonna experiment with Asian fusion with a minor focus in Japanese as what I currently see bores me other than David Chang of Momofuku's food who I find as inspiration.

numble

Zyzyxxz said:
Hopefully in about 5 years time when I think I should have enough experience I will try to find a good location in Southern California where I am from, preferably in the San Gabriel Valley.

Most likely I'm gonna experiment with Asian fusion with a minor focus in Japanese as what I currently see bores me other than David Chang of Momofuku's food who I find as inspiration.
Nice, I am from the SGV, though currently in New York.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
abstract alien said:
What kinda cake is that Beelz? Looks good and fluffy, I want a piece!

angel food cake!

my mum and i are sort of running our own little bakery now, and it's one of the really popular items at the moment.

beelzebozo said:
angel food cake!

my mum and i are sort of running our own little bakery now, and it's one of the really popular items at the moment.
Mmmmm!!! Looks great, I wanna buy a slice. Scratch that, make that a whole one. NOW!

Yes Boss! said:
I've been cooking daily but I'm doing only Dal dishes for another week so I've been repeating older dishes with slight variations. I only like to post when I do something new.

I'll post some new stuff after a week!

That said, this morning I stir-fried asparagus with cumin seed and lemon juice for a very refreshing side.

your dal's look good. Sambhar you made also loks great , it is better with idly or dosa.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zyzyxxz said:
are you running it out of your home?

yeah man. for the time being jumping head-first into a brick & mortar space is too financially risky, and we both have other jobs. but business is really picking up, and who knows? give us five years, and maybe we'll have built a customer base that warrants a place where people can walk in and get things at their leisure. for now, it's pretty much special order.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
beelzebozo said:
yeah man. for the time being jumping head-first into a brick & mortar space is too financially risky, and we both have other jobs. but business is really picking up, and who knows? give us five years, and maybe we'll have built a customer base that warrants a place where people can walk in and get things at their leisure. for now, it's pretty much special order.

That's really fantastic, and the sort of thing I'm hoping to be able to be a part of someday after pastry school. I've told my sister many times she should be selling her amazing baked goods, but she's content to keep it in the family.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, that's something i left out, and maybe the best part of all: i get to spend oodles of time with my mom, and we're bonding. it's wonderful when we nail down a dish and know it's the best.

OMG now I am starving.

I have been thinking about getting into cooking......... Never been that great of a cook but then again I have never really applied myself to it.

BenzMoney

Yes Boss! said:
Tonight I made a batch of Channa Masala. Always a favorite but this time I doubled the gravy by upping the tomato count then compensated for the increased loos-ness by stirring in an arrowroot slurry. And to increase the tartness, I added a cup of yogurt at the end, off the heat, in addition to the juice of one lemon.

P1020588.jpg

I can't tell you how much my girlfriend and I love the Channa Masala we get from a nice little indian restaurant down the street. Yours looks equally amazing - would love to try it! Any chance you can hook a guy up with the recipe?

Yes Boss!

Since I'm cooking Dal for another few days I've made a kinda special and unique one. This is whole and unhulled green moong dal that is mixed with fresh tomatoes, chiles, onions, spices and a ton of fresh fenugreek. It is a very lean bean so I've added a bit of butter and heavy cream to round it all out. Rustic and fun.

P1020796.jpg

Yes Boss!

BenzMoney said:
I can't tell you how much my girlfriend and I love the Channa Masala we get from a nice little indian restaurant down the street. Yours looks equally amazing - would love to try it! Any chance you can hook a guy up with the recipe?

I don't really have a set-in-stone recipe. What I will do is post the photos and steps tomorrow...I'm soaking a cup of chickpeas tonight.

(I'll make a second batch with canned chickpeas as well)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Aquavelvaman said:
I need one of you to be my roommate.

are you a beautiful woman, or a wealthy man who will make me dispense with the pretense of heterosexuality for the pursuit of material goods?

Jefklak

beelzebozo said:
i can hook you up with the best cinnamon roll recipe ever, should you be interested.

:)

Please do share, I love everything cinnamon-related!
Did make the rolls a few weeks back, but they dried out quite fast. Didn't want to use too much butter either.

beelzebozo said:
i'm really in the mood to make this pan pizza again.
Nice looking pizza beelz! I still remember the other pizza you posted in here a while back, your form has gotten much better with this one from what I recall. Nice progress, looks yumms.

Here is another cheesecake I made. The shiny top and the coloring down the side is a strawberry and champagne sauce, but its pretty strong so it only takes a little.

Zyzyxxz

Man we should have a IronGAF cook-together.

Everyone would bring their best dish and we all share instead of virtually eating it through pics on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom