• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 50Mbps a good internet speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgtl_10

I'm single and live alone. My AT&T contract expires in August. I am currently getting 18 Mbps which works even though I stream quite a bit. Time Warner just recently upgraded all their speeds and now offer 50 Mbps for $34.99 and that is $10 cheaper than AT&T's 18 Mbps.

I am wondering if I should get 50 Mbps or pay an extra $10 for 100 Mbps?

Is 50 Mbps for most streaming or should take into account that I might reach 50 most of the time?

Palocca

If you're the only one on the network, 50 mbps should be plenty. No need to pay extra for bandwidth you won't be using.

Fury Sense

50 is fine, but 100 for $10 more is something I'd spring for every time.

I think once you get to 30mbps you have a pretty consistently good experience. 15ish is enough to get by, but below that and you'll suffer.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I have a 50/5 connection, there's not a single thing I can't do with it, or any time I've ever felt things were slow. Netflix,Hulu, Amazon and Youtube all instantly play at the highest setting and quality.

I wish my upload speed was better as I do a lot of remote desktop work, but otherwise I see no reason to spend any more for 100 if you wont see any perks to it.

oh and TWC internet is wonderful, at least around me.

AT&T is shitty. I had the exact same options at you, ATT or TWC, with ATT only offering 18mb.

potam

Banned
The only difference you'll really notice between 50 and 100 is when downloading large files like games. For streaming/gifs/small files, you won't see a difference. I just went from 105 (really 120) to 50 (really 60) when I moved last week, and I haven't noticed a thing. Still maxes out PSN....

pgtl_10

I think the threat of Google Fiber coming into San Antonio and being in nearby Austin has scared TWC. ATT isn't offering Gigapower yet. Grande Communication(A local ISP) offers 1 Gbps in Austin and 400 Gbps in San Antonio.

This is why I want Google Fiber to go everywhere. I heard Houston is getting AT&T Gigapower.

Volimar

I get 15 and its usually good enough for three people/devices. Just some lag when downloading, but I'm not complaining. 50 should be easily enough.

Syncytia

50 is fine, but 100 for $10 more is something I'd spring for every time.

I think once you get to 30mbps you have a pretty consistently good experience. 15ish is enough to get by, but below that and you'll suffer.

I have about 8 and it's fine. Gaming, streaming, downloading is all fine.

Seriously the only thing is the time to download like a 50GB game. Sure, I wish I had a faster connection but I don't have much an option. $35 for 50Mbps sounds amazing to me.

pgtl_10

Do you do wireless? does your modem support up to 50 or 100 Mbps?

I will buy one from TWC's list. I don't pay for ATT modem because I have U-Verse TV. With NFL Sunday Ticket available on PS3, an antenna, and Sling TV giving me ESPN I should save some decent cash.

50 is just fine. I have 15 and never had issues.
Also, just FYI - that $34.99 is a 1-year promotional price. It'll go up to full-price after that. You may want to double check what the non-promotional prices are for both 50Mbps and 100Mbps, because that's what you will be paying after 1 year.

Just whatever you do - don't rent a modem/router from TWC. It's a massive waste of money. Buying your own will pay for itself in a year or so, and it's YOURS.

200 Mbit/s synchronous dude here.

It's good. Most of the services won't even max it, so you're technically losing money. Steam however, does. dat 22MB/s downloading rate

clav

If you're on wifi, then 50 is enough. Your wifi won't take advantage of all the bandwidth.

If you're on wired, then go for 100.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
No OP. You need at least 200 Mbps so that when you only average 120 Mbps, you can still feel like you're not on dial-up that 50 Mbps is. Can you even download gifs at that speed? The meme would probably be old by the time the download's done.

I have 160 but I'm thinking about downgrading. The heaviest use of the connection here is when 2 screens are watching Netflix simultaneously. So it seems like a waste of money.

50 is fine if you don't plan on downloading the entire internet.

1Gbit/sec synchronous here, bitches! With full IPv6 support and an unconditional commitment to net neutrality as added extras. Yes, I love my internet provider! :-D

50 is beautiful. I'm coming off 3Mbps though so that may have something to do with it. Go for the 100 if it's only 10 dollars more though.

pgtl_10

50 is fine if you don't plan on downloading the entire internet.

1Gbit/sec synchronous here, bitches! With full IPv6 support and an unconditional commitment to net neutrality as added extras. Yes, I love my internet provider! :-D

Who do you have? Here in San Antonio I think a local ISP is planning 1 Gbps.

farisr

Unlimited usage for both? Up to you then. Is downloading things twice as fast, or streaming in better quality (dependant on the computer) worth the $10 to you?

Over here an ISP provides package for 60mbps with 200GB of usage, and a package that costs $10 more that gets you 100mbps with unlimited usage. A no brainer right there.

LogicStep

I have 30 and I'm good, don't really need more. But I will say this, more is better. So got for 100 if you can. The price difference is well worth it.

$10 more for 100 Mbps?

YES do it always better to have more you will need it in the future anyway.
if you can afford it you will enjoy faster internet so much more.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I just downgraded from 100 to 50. Don't even really notice a difference.

I wish, really, that I could get like 20 down and 20 up. Instead of this 100mb down and 5 up and 50 down and 3 up. Its. Ridiculous.

Bit-Bit

It's ok. I've got the 50mbps with Comcast and will occasionally have to wait a few seconds on sites like Vimeo.

But youtube in HD always works right away.

Unlimited usage for both? Up to you then. Is downloading things twice as fast, or streaming in better quality (dependant on the computer) worth the $10 to you?

Over here an ISP provides package for 60mbps with 200GB of usage, and a package that costs $10 more that gets you 100mbps with unlimited usage. A no brainer right there.

Yeah, that looks like they're trying to entice people to that higher tier while the people who won't even reach half that cap get on the 60Mbps tier, more money for them.

Tripolygon

Banned
Make sure they don't have a bandwidth cap (they won't tell you unless you ask), i'll take 18Mbps uncapped than 50Mbps capped. My current uverse is uncapped at 18Mbps but the comcast over here 50Mbps is capped at 300GB/month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom