• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 7.5 billion too much and MS overpaid?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
7.5b for buggy games and endless releases of skyrim, what'd ya think
all-these-flavors-and-you-choose-to-be-salty-19205098.png

petran79

Banned
If you consider Fallout 's buggy mess, yes.

If they release those games on Windows store, it will be a disaster on pc too regarding sales

Last edited:

vpance

They paid way too fucking mutch.

Bethesda/Zenimax was worth 2.5 billion in 2016. It didn't triple in value in four years after the shitty games they released the last few years.

Even though they were private I think their valuation is based off of how much the average studio is worth these days. Everything has gone up massively in price since 2016. Was it really 2.5 back then?

Last edited:
Microsoft spending 7.5 billion on Zenimax is about the same as me spending $25 on a box of condoms (I am not proud to say I had to look that price up) It's not even a dent in their wallet and they'll either make it back with the studios acquired, or absorb the costs because they have over 135 billion dollars in cash just sitting around for this type of thing. For comparison, Sony's market cap is 98 billion dollars.

Hopefully they make better use these studios more than I do the condoms.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
a) Obviously, they've had extensive briefings on the next Fallout / Skyrim / Starfield / whatever games. The fact that they're willing to spend this much makes me incredibly positive about how those games will turn out.

b) Still, way over-priced for Gamepass filler. This is the price you pay for a company that pulls revenue from 4+ platforms, not just 1 or 2 (which is why Sony could never afford this, even if they had the money). MS will offer these games on Nintendo / Playstation platforms, and whatever else they can get money out of.

c) ...probably still overpriced, but once you factor in the "hearts and minds" of 100,000,000+ Playstation users it starts making a lot more financial sense.

quest

Not Banned from OT
a) Obviously, they've had extensive briefings on the next Fallout / Skyrim / Starfield / whatever games. The fact that they're willing to spend this much makes me incredibly positive about how those games will turn out.

b) Still, way over-priced for Gamepass filler. This is the price you pay for a company that pulls revenue from 4+ platforms, not just 1 or 2 (which is why Sony could never afford this, even if they had the money). MS will offer these games on Nintendo / Playstation platforms, and whatever else they can get money out of.

c) ...probably still overpriced, but once you factor in the "hearts and minds" of 100,000,000+ Playstation users it starts making a lot more financial sense.
Denial just not a river in Egypt any more. Microsoft did not buy these to help Sony lol. These like obsidian entertainment avowed are Microsoft only exclusives except contract obligations.

Seems too much considering Disney bought Lucasfilm aka Star Wars for ONLY 4 billion. 7.5 billion is a little too much imo.
Does it honestly really matter haha? When you buy your PS5 are you gonna ask your self “ did I pay to much for this under powered tower”?

Last edited:

Megatron

Yes. It massively improves their biggest focus which is gamepass, it generated an insane amount of buzz the day before Xbox pre orders went live. I’m sure the timing was just a coincidence....

Laptop1991

if you only look at the last 5 years of Bethesda's releases, ie their current games they have been promoting then yes i would say, if you judge it by their whole game roster and hopefully MS will push Bethesda to make and promote their older bigger selling titles, then no, they will make alot of money back on them.

Seems too much considering Disney bought Lucasfilm aka Star Wars for ONLY 4 billion. 7.5 billion is a little too much imo.
Figuring out the valuation of a company has always been a weird thing. But, you would think that figuring out the valuation of a video game company might be easier, since you have sales numbers, profit margins, etc. So If they paid 7.5 Billion, it's probably, most likely the price... but, honestly its probably a few Billion over what they should have paid.

The Disney purchase you mentioned, after 4 movies, they've supposedly already pulled even on that purchase. I guess that just based on movie ticket sales, so based on just ticket sales they've pulled even aka they've brought in enough to pay off the 4 Billy. But, I wonder how much advertising added and if Merch help with all of that and they actually pulled even a lot earlier.

Last edited:
This is why I think all the big sellers will be available on PS/Nintendo as well and not only Gamepass. It's way too much money to leave on the table.

Leyasu

Banned
Yes but what choice did they have honesty? Anyone who is opposed what realistic alternative was there? Sony locked up all the 3rd party deals. They needed something big to get fans excited for Tuesday pre orders and reading online it worked.
Yep, they started negotiations friday last week and inked the deal the same day

draliko

Some of you guys are just delusional, they will not go exclusive, they will simply not be on Ps, but everywhere else just like Sony did with some of their games, that's how it works but you don't like it when it backfires in your faces. Grow up and be glad that they took the ips from zenimx hands, now at least we have a chance that this games will not be the same old bug ridden fest. Has anyone thought about the idea of Id now able to work on the halo Ip? I hope to be alive they day it happens

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Remember when MS offered to buy Yahoo for 44 billion $ in 2008? I find it hard to see how they could’ve ever made that money back if the deal had went through, so 7.5 billion for Zenimax really is nothing.

For this recent acquisition to have any discernible effect, Zenimax’ big games need to come out early during the upcoming generation, say 2021 and 2022. And they need to be good, of course. If Starfield releases next year, and is high quality, and they show a trailer for TES VI during the next E3, and the game comes out in 2022, then I think there’s a good chance that MS will gain some marketshare in the west. Skyrim is the most successful RPG of all time, and if its successor is exclusive to Xbox, then that’s definitely a big deal.

If those games are still ways off, however, and won’t come out until 2023 or later, then their impact will be limited, since Sony will most likely have established a strong lead by then.

Neolombax

I would think they have some of the best people in their field working on this acquisition, its really out of our depth to gauge these things honestly.

sxodan

LOL, why the hell you care how much they paid? It's not like Microsoft will ask you to help them out with cash.

To them, it's obvisouly worth it since they paid it. Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout - these are some of the best selling franchises of all time. They are worth every penny.

imsosleepy

people also thought they overpaid for minecraft and look at it now.. People also need to understand that microsoft wil stil own these studios in 50 years. Its really not to much.

The studios are still there, and I highly doubt that the leadership is going to leave... and in the midst of a pandemic and economic uncertainty, I doubt they’d want to...

Also why are you bringing in Sony? They aren’t relevant to the discussion

I'm bringing up Sony because almost all Sony's studios are actively hiring right now as opposed to other publishers.

Leyasu

Banned
This is why I think all the big sellers will be available on PS/Nintendo as well and not only Gamepass. It's way too much money to leave on the table.

No they won't. These will all be hooks to get you into their ecosystem. They are not looking to recoup their outlay for atleast 7 - 10 yrs.

For this recent acquisition to have any discernible effect, Zenimax’ big games need to come out early during the upcoming generation, say 2021 and 2022. And they need to be good, of course. If Starfield releases next year, and is high quality, and they show a trailer for TES VI during the next E3, and the game comes out in 2022, then I think there’s a good chance that MS will gain some marketshare in the west. Skyrim is the most successful RPG of all time, and if its successor is exclusive to Xbox, then that’s definitely a big deal.

If those games are still ways off, however, and won’t come out until 2023 or later, then their impact will be limited, since Sony will most likely have established a strong lead by then.

Microsoft knew long before entering negotiations with Zenimax that next gen was already Sonys. This is the long game. They are looking to the gen after to really take the fight to Sony in regards to console marketshare. Their games studios will not be organised and churning games until 2024/25. Then the momentum will be built, and message finally out there that these games are now only available on microsofts ecosystem. Which will the set up the gen after.

Expecting monumental shifts now is wrong.

Last edited:

acm2000

overpaid? all those studios, IP's, Technology, patents etc and yet mean while CDPR are valued at $8b for basically.... 1 big IP, 1 more soon and a couple of niche.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I'll be honest, to me it seems like an under payment. They got so many franchises, legendary names and some great ID tech. Also the promise of whats to come, hopefully better then Fallout 76. I always thought Bethesda was worth much more as a company and a lot bigger, I know the last decade has been a bit rough, and they had issues with bugs, but still. They also picked up all of Zenimax, I suspect they will trim a lot of those publishing jobs though.

Also, how many new subscribers did they just manage to snag today and in the near future because of this? This acquisition will pay itself off very quickly. Much better then WB Games, although that seems cheap now doesn't it.

Also, how many new subscribers did they just manage to snag today

How does thay work? Why would anyone pay $15 a month from today when the game they want to play will release in 2023-2025?

When the game comes out and it isn't a disaster like Fallout 76, you can at the least expect those to pay $15 and unsubscribe afterwards. Especially on PC, they'll pay $10, try the game and move one to their steam games again.

The only comparable purchase I can think of was Minecraft which was also purchased by MS. They spent $2.5B on that game six years ago, and it seems like a great steal today. So along those lines, I think $7.5B for Zenimax and all their franchises is a pretty reasonable price.
This, I remember the threads were the same, 'did MS overpay in Minecraft buy'?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
7.5b is a huge investment. Microsoft wouldn't be throwing this sort of money around unless they thought they would profit from it.

Personally, I'd lock down all Xbox exclusive games down as not only Xbox console exclusives, but also Gamepass exclusives. People would then have no choice but to sign up to Gamepass if they wanted to play Starfield, ES6, Doom, Forza, Halo etc etc.

They took away, the almost certainly great next Doom, new Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Starfield which only had the potential of being good, and a load of B games from Sony and Nintendo, while gaining nothing they wouldn't have already had.

For the same money, they could have created a dozen or more new AAA studios, created even more new IP's, experimented with new ideas, and created thousands more jobs.

I certainly do not think it was money well spent.

Last edited:
Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Doom are some of the biggest franchises in all of gaming. Removing those from SONY consoles in the future is going to be huge. I've been saying on this forum constantly that SONY needs first party RPGs like a Fallout or Elder Scrolls. They seem content with open worlds and third person action games right now but this has to kick them into gear when it comes to diversifying their exclusive output.

ripeavocado

Banned
Depends on how fucked up the development of Starfield and Tes 6 is.

Considering the poor performance of Microsoft studios, ending with the Halo Infinite debacle, I fear that those problems, if present, are not going to be fixed for a long time.

kikkis

Fallout 4 made 750 million during it's first 24 hours on the market.
Yeah should have included that. Also think fallout games have burned bit of goodwill with their customers. But still cant think zenimax as a whole being on particularly strurdy ground recently. I mean having 2000+ employees burns like 200 milloin dollars a year if we assume 10000 dollars a month cost per employee. Much depends on success of future releases.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yeah should have included that. Also think fallout games have burned bit of goodwill with their customers. But still cant think zenimax as a whole being on particularly strurdy ground recently. I mean having 2000+ employees burns like 200 milloin dollars a year if we assume 10000 dollars a month cost per employee. Much depends on success of future releases.

It sounds like Sony approached Bethesda about making Starfield a timed exclusive.

I think the industry is mighty impressed with what they've seen from Starfield. I expect it to be a huge game when it releases.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really know the financials of Bethesda, but it's probably than they are worth now, but less than they think it will be worth in the future

Last edited by a moderator:

Self

Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Doom are some of the biggest franchises in all of gaming. Removing those from SONY consoles in the future is going to be huge. I've been saying on this forum constantly that SONY needs first party RPGs like a Fallout or Elder Scrolls. They seem content with open worlds and third person action games right now but this has to kick them into gear when it comes to diversifying their exclusive output.

I think people are getting a little delusional over this deal. Bethesda is a future proof gamepass acquisition.
Their mayor franchises will remain multiplatform. MS as Sony are looking for ways to earn money, not waste it.

Top Bottom