• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is all of our conventional knowledge wrong?

Gander

Banned
Steroids are bad. Are they? Arnold Schwarzenegger used Steroids, married a Kennedy became an actor and governor. The only reason he isn't President is he wasn't born here.

Stealing is wrong but is it worth it? Bernie Madoff stole from people and lived a lavish lifestyle for years

Being Humble is a virtue. Trump bragged about being worth more than he was until he reputation brought him real riches.

I find frustration in trash behavior getting people so far in life. It confuses me and goes against my up bringing

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Steroids are bad. Are they? Arnold Schwarzenegger used Steroids, married a Kennedy became an actor and governor. The only reason he isn't President is he wasn't born here.

Stealing is wrong but is it worth it? Bernie Madoff stole from people and lived a lavish lifestyle for years

Being Humble is a virtue. Trump bragged about being worth more than he was until he reputation brought him real riches.

I find frustration in trash behavior getting people so far in life. It confuses me and goes against my up bringing
1. Steroids increase your risk for several potentially terminal illnesses, it does not mean you need to have negative consequences. It's just more likely. There are smokers who never get lung cancer.
2. Steeling is morally wrong and illegal, expect to be punished if you do it. However, you can be lucky with it.
3. Being humble is not a recipe for success in general, it is something that can make you more enojoyable to be with. Trump probably has quite a few interpersonal issues because of his brashness.

So no, our conventional knowledge is not wrong, but your interpretation of it may be.

LordPezix

No, we only see the veil. On the inside their conscious eats them alive. Every. Single. Night.

SKM1

Life is not so simple. Conventional knowledge is the best we have, but it's by no means a complete solution to the problem of ethics.

olimariOA

Banned

When you smoke your first joint you gotta
NZ538YH.gif

llien

I have a better example of stealing: Zuckerberg stole FB idea, made billions. (whose from whom he stole it got compensated with about 90 million I think). He also dumped his partner who has supported him all along. (got away with paying him 1 billion or so, instead of 25)

Moral restrictions benefit us as a society, but breaking them might bring benefits to particular individuals. That's how most get to the top.

World as a whole has never been fair.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned

Steroids aren't bad. We use them to treat a wide variety of conditions. Even Anabolic steroids have a purpose in medicine. We even use pure testosterone as a treatment for guys with low testosterone. Abusing them can have ill-effects.

Stealing is immoral. Madoff is in prison now.

Is being humble a vitue? Arrogance is bad, but being too humble, to the point of self-sacrifice is just as bad. Nothing is wrong with being assertive and looking out for yourself.

At the end of the day a lot of people are VERY wealthy because of illegal/questionable decisions they've done in life. A lot of people have also become wealthy legitimately but have also done illegal/questionable shit to stay there. The problem now is with the way the world/society is a lot of it is getting exposed now. That's just the way the world is. If people were brought up believing this at a young age though it wouldn't bode well for society as a whole. We'd be living in a much bigger unforgiving cesspool than what we currently live in now.

Why do people think that doing the right thing is easy? Choosing virtue over vice has always been the tougher choice. You do good because it has an intrinsic value, not because you expect to be recompensed.

It's like playing life on the highest difficult settings, because only scrubs play on easy.

image.jpeg

And you don't want to be a scrub, do you?

Moral restrictions benefit us as a society, but breaking them might bring benefits to particular individuals. That's how most get to the top.

World as a whole has never been fair.

It is conceivable that breaking the moral codes of many in research could expedite such research. Societies breaking virtually all moral codes behind closed doors may experience advances that may give them an edge and allow them to become the dominant group outcompeting all others.

It may be that in the art of war and weapons development, you have to break some eggs to make an omelette or suffer the consequences.

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned

Arnold has had two heart operations. Every dude in Hollywood is on roids these days. You get people telling you they’re safe and other people saying they will take years off your life. I’d never take them myself as I’m fine with my body. The amount of regular people that take them is insane though. I never thought it was a thing till I started hitting the gym.

Arnold has had two heart operations. Every dude in Hollywood is on roids these days. You get people telling you they’re safe and other people saying they will take years off your life. I’d never take them myself as I’m fine with my body. The amount of regular people that take them is insane though. I never thought it was a thing till I started hitting the gym.
The ultimate loss would be if they cure aging 50 years from now, but these guys who're in their 20s and 30s miss out for those few years they lost.

pramod

Banned
This seems like a Resetera thread.

Anyway Dark Helmet was right, evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

This seems like a Resetera thread.

Anyway Dark Helmet was right, evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
Even if evil wins, perhaps something like decency would make it do good after victory?

Thanos attained ultimate power in this series, by grasping the heart of the universe. But he was predestined to acquire it, and after the events that transpired, he was forced to recreate the universe and fix a fundamental flaw, whilst apparently giving up his ultimate power and ending in some farmland or something.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Maybe, but confirmation bias is definitely real.

Catphish

If riches are mine only by stealing or somehow manipulating and taking from others, I choose not to be rich.

The world is the fucking mess it's been for a long time because of people who live in luxury at the expense of others. If ever a lesson needed to be learned by humanity, it's that.

If riches are mine only by stealing or somehow manipulating and taking from others, I choose not to be rich.

The world is the fucking mess it's been for a long time because of people who live in luxury at the expense of others. If ever a lesson needed to be learned by humanity, it's that.

It is like a kid in a playground, perhaps entrepreneurial, that manages to earn most of the other kids toys. Yes perhaps it was fair and square, but unless new toys are brought, the I got mine fuck you mentality is not helpful.

? When you see something like that and you start at max level it makes you wonder...

At the same time if people are given aid and rather than self improve exponential population growth occurs, it only makes the problem worse.

We will soon have machines to do all of our work. What is needed is population reduction, the lower the population the more the minimum resources per individual rises. Obviously the only ethical way to do that is through reducing reproduction.

Disincentives to reproduction are needed, and antiaging technology too, to help in the transition. But care needs be taken lest people start doing things like killing their newborns to avoid the disincentives.

Last edited:
Top Bottom