• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anybody here genuinely undecided about which next gen console they are going to get?

I’m definitely having some undecided feelings towards what I want to buy.

Im relatively certain I will buy a PS5 no matter what happens. Basically all of my favorite games have come from Sony in recent years. I don’t play a lot of game’s anymore and I seem to get easily bored by anything that doesn’t feel top of the range to me. I’m mostly a AAA gamer. Although I’ve been playing some other smaller titles like FTL and Banner Saga lately. I’m certain I will eventually want a PS5 the question is whether I will want one at launch or not. Most likely I will wait until there is a game being released that I must play and that will convince me to buy the console.

I’m also considering buying an XSX for some of the following reasons.
1. I owned and Xbox and an Xbox 360 and during those gens owned all consoles. I’m more frugal these days and an XSX is a good potential option instead of upgrading my 8 year old gaming PC. The back catalogue, the back compatibility with upgrades all of this appeals to me to some degree.
2. I like the idea of Xbox game pass. I will renew my subscription to play a game I want to play in the library and end the subscription after I’m finished. I don’t play enough games often enough to leave the subscription going in between games.
3. I’m a big graphics lover (not sure if I can use the ‘w’ word any more) although despite this I can handle the lesser quality from PS4 Pro as ‘good enough’ on most game’s at the moment.
4. It will still take some game that I feel I must play for me to buy an Xbox. I’m not going to buy a console that doesn’t have any must play game for me. In a way I’m kind of hoping they do get something right for me because I’d like to be able to own the next console. It looks cool and I think Microsoft are doing a lot of things right with the announcement.
5. I kind of believe the leak that the ps5 will be 9.7 Tf and XSX will be 12. I don't want to believe it but I expect it to be true. If the ps5 is announced to be 12TF as well then it will probably make the decision of ‘no’ towards XSX for me. I know I know bring out the pitch forks TF doesn’t matter it’s the way the devs use the console and I fully expect the sony first party devs to be making games on a 9.7tf ps5 that look significantly better than the Microsoft XSX games simply because MS has all the cross platform hold backs to worry about and the Sony devs will be making their games just for the ps5 hardware. . Maybe that won’t last into the future but then that potentially makes any interest I have in buying the Xbox drop away by years.

The main reason I may way to upgrade my PC is for Cyberpunk... just not the biggest fan of playing FPS with controllers. This could really impact my enjoyment of the game. Playing FPS or any FP game on my bed with a mouse and keyboard doesn’t hold so much appeal either and I’m not really certain I want to play cyberpunk at my desk. I really wish they’d allowed for a 3rd person game there but I will still play it. But I could bring the PS4 Pro, XSX or Ps5 to my desk and use my 4K pc monitor (Still using a 1080p tv for my PS4 pro games) so that is an option.

These are the things I’m thinking about at the moment. Of course there is some hype involved in the new console releases. Honestly I think I probably won’t end up with an Xbox because I don’t have any real expectation that they’re going to make a game I want to play so much that I’ll need to buy the console. *shrugs* but you see I’m undecided.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Never was a question for me, XsX only.

I tried the PS4 for the 1st time this gen and hated pretty much everything about the cheap quality console, the shitty controller and I was quite underwhelmed by their over-hyped exclusives with the exception of Horizon Zero Dawn. Not impressed or interested in anything on the Horizon for PS 5 except Horizon 2 but I'm not buying a console to play just one single game. I can't think of anything that would entice me to buy a Sony box again.

LOVE my premium quality 1X console, controller, ecosystem, Game Pass, and sparse as they were this gen, I much preferred the Xbox exclusives to what PS offered. After playing a lot of the games from the studios MS has purchased that will now be MS exclusives there is no doubt that for me Xbox will have the vastly superior line up for the type of games I enjoy. The specs released today simply ensured that it will be a Day 1 buy for me.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Looking at the responses to every morsel of next-gen news, it seems that many people (if not most) already made up their minds long ago and are now in justification mode. So, is there anyone here that can say hand-on-heart that they really are in two minds as to which console they are going to buy? If so, which factors will be most important in your decision?

Despite MS's big news drop today, there are still a number of unknowns which could influence someone's choice:
- specs (of the PS5 and Lockhart)
- price
- launch line up of games
- confirmation of rumours of PS4/5 exclusives coming to PC
- backwards compatibility (PS5 only, already confirmed for Xbox)

Even for those who think they know which console they are going to get, would any of these realistic "worst case scenarios" make you change your mind?

Screenshot__90_.0.png

Worst case PS5 scenario:
- same price as Series X, but only 9 TF
- Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War confirmed for PC, with hints of delayed PC ports of first party PS5 games as well
- backwards compatibility limited to PS4 only

xbox-series-x-xbox-next-gen.jpg

Worst case Xbox scenario:
- Series X only slightly more powerful than PS5 but over $100+ more
- lacklustre lineup of launch window titles, despite their recent studio purchases
- the first party titles look compromised due to the need to cater to last-gen Xbox One users

Even those worst case scenarios aren't on the same level as the PS3 and Xbox One botched launches, but they might be enough to tip the balance.

BTW, I know that the choice of consoles aren't mutually exclusive, but I imagine that for most people (even Gaf members) dropping $1000+ on console hardware in one go isn't something that most would be willing to consider, especially given how similar they are likely to be, so some kind of decision will be necessary for most.

BTW2 I will be getting a PC, so have no dog in this fight. I'll just say that I'm happy that MS raised the bar today and hope that Sony follows closely in terms of specs. The imminent release of next gen consoles is good news for PC gamers looking to push gaming forward. They look like being a good value proposition vis-a-vis PC (at least for the first year), and I would be tempted myself, if I didn't need a powerful PC for non-gaming purposes.
My advice

1. Get a Pc

2. Go for Ps5 and switch

3. Thats all.

4. Avoid anything related with xbox

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Not really? This gen Xbox had nothing to offer me and I don’t think that’s gonna change next gen.

I’m mostly gonna stick with PlayStation and Nintendo. It’s best combo as someone who mostly enjoys Japanese games and single player games.
Best combo: Nintendo and Sony

Ultra. Combo : PC, Nintendo, Sony

GamingKaiju

Its the games I'm waiting for. XSX has the specs (this time :messenger_tongue:) but dem games where iz dem games, by this point pre-current gen we were been drip fed games and screen shots, videos etc but nothing its shockingly silent.

Hopefully they'll start dropping some soon. I have a switch, PC, PS4 and X1 so I'll probably end up getting them all again.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Its the games I'm waiting for. XSX has the specs (this time :messenger_tongue:) but dem games where iz dem games, by this point pre-current gen we were been drip fed games and screen shots, videos etc but nothing its shockingly silent.

Hopefully they'll start dropping some soon. I have a switch, PC, PS4 and X1 so I'll probably end up getting them all again.
Traditionally speaking, E3 before the new console releases have been where all the heavy hitters come out swinging with their next-gen game reveals, so we probably have a few more months of getting t he drip-feed.

GamingKaiju

Traditionally speaking, E3 before the new console releases have been where all the heavy hitters come out swinging with their next-gen game reveals, so we probably have a few more months of getting t he drip-feed.

Hopefully 🤞I'm hungry for some next gen games to be hyped up.

Anki

Banned
I dont game much as before so i buy only one console. I generaly prefer xbox but I am also interested in VR so I am not really sure. I will wait until they release and will decide then.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I've never had an Xbox or Microsoft console, and I already have a Switch.

So I'm probably gonna get the PS5. Unless things go horribly wrong for Sony.

Domisto

It's looking like PS5 will have less under the hood than XSX, but I'll accept it if the difference isn't too big. Sony will have to screw up pretty hard to change my mind. I won't be buying day one so I'll have time to see how they actually perform before a final decision.

TwiztidElf

Seeing as XB1 only had two exclusives I liked this whole gen (FH3 and DR3), I'll be skipping the Xbox Series X until I see some reason to get it.
First new gen I've gone in NOT planning on buying every major console on launch day since SNES/MD gen.
Congrats MS, that's quite an achievement.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If you aren’t undecided at this point, with scant details available, you aren’t interested in getting the best possible console for yourself, and are probably more into spewing absurdist rhetoric promoting your company of choice on message boards.

So, I expect a good chunk of people here to say no.

I’m leaning towards Series X myself, and even have a soft spot for Microsoft, but as a customer that has to look out for number 1, I will flip in a second if PS5 offers me a better proposition.

Last edited:

dalekjay

XSX with gamepass Day 1
Ps5 for exclusives
Switch exclusives

Also I will not pay for ps plus anymore

Last edited:

redfirm

Banned
Do you know how much money i've spent on the playstation ecosystem in the past 4 years. there is no way i am dropping everything and moving to xbox. too invested.

redfirm

Banned
I'm getting a switch and that's it. Not really willing to continue giving money to Microsoft or Sony's gaming arms anymore.

Hell, I'm not all that ecstatic about giving Nintendo money either.
you might be interested in Ouya. and wont you look at that, i just happen to have one laying here. what are the chances right! PM ME and its yours for just 199!

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
PS5 day one. No point in getting an XSX as the exclusives dont appeal to me.
Also hoping the PS5 is sub 450.

isual

i can afford to buy both, but for now i'm leaning towards slightly PS5. It will really depend on the games lineup and if i can use my backlog of available controllers for either console (i have a lot).

its all about dem games ya digg mein nigg? chad warden here.

headchots

Neo Member
I don’t really care about specs since I have a high end pc for that, But I do care about exclusives and Sony didn’t disappoint, so yeah i will be getting a PS5 for sure unless MS have some great triple A games coming to SEX

StormCell

At this point, I'm just looking for Microsoft to give me even more reasons to buy an Xbox. I'm not at all loyal to Sony. Just give me the best games, and I'll play them.

I have around 120 games invested in my PS4 Pro. There is no chance i'm going to Xbox Series X on day one. It will be PS5 day one.

However, later down the line i will pick up an Xbox Series X. I don't think shelling out close to $2300 dollars on two next gen consoles is a smart idea. I can only play so many games at a time.

Vol5

How can anyone decide on a next gen console when we've seen absolutely no games on either system?

PS5

Celcius

°Temp. member
I plan to get a PS5 no matter what. PC will still be my main platform though.

Last edited:

hussar16

I think many people are like me and it depends right now, still buying ps5 but if they release that ps5 will be 9 tf,
I will have to think about it, also since xbox has amazing backwards capability and sony lately has been milking theirs with making us pay for remasters and doesn't include any patches to upgrade old games instead throws low res streaming games on ps now its a disappointment and all included right now sony has to get close to what xbox is promising or exceeed it for me to go with them. Sony exclusives are alright but not mazing enough for me to blindly go with their camp

daemissary

Haven’t decided for sure yet but I’m leaning towards Xbox Series X day 1, PS5 as soon as there is an exclusive which demands my attention.

Microsoft has just done a much better job of being pro-consumer the last few years. Gamepass alone has introduced me to many incredible games that I never would’ve otherwise played.

If Sony doesn’t come out of the gate hard with good exclusives then I could conceivably be waiting awhile...to me, that is their only real advantage.

I am getting the Series X day one, and PS5 as soon as the next Bloodborne comes out. I mostly play on PC but gamespass is awesome and some of my friends only have consoles.

Gargus

Banned
Nope. Going to be playstation.

I dont care about the specs of it. It will be more powerful than the ps4 and I dont care if the xbox is more powerful than the ps5. If the xbox is more powerful it won't mean shit because the xbox one x was more powerful than ps4 and it didnt do anything to help it, it still had no good games. And that's what gaming is about, playing good games. Xbox could be from 100 years in the future but if the games on it suck then it's useless to me.

Good graphics do not equal good game. Good game equals good game.

So it'll be ps5 and pc for me, with my switch occasionally getting turned on it.

spawn

I'm buying an xbox for the first time ever. With Microsoft buying Obsidian and Ninja Theory I think they will have great stuff. I'm already 100% committed to PlayStation. I have been since OG PlayStation. Don't play on pc so don't give a rats ass if their games are ported

Last edited:

Sota4077

I'm decided, it will either be a PS5 or I'm going back to PC. I won't buy microsoft hardware. I just hope the PS5 will be as powerful as the new xbox, because - at heart - I'm a console gamer.

I am a lifelong Xbox guy and give the new position, which I love, that all games for Xbox are coming to PC even I am debating getting a PS5 at launch and then picking up the Series X in march when I get my annual bonus at work.

FeldMonster

I can honestly say that no matter what, I will be buying an Xbox Series X. It has the games I want to play, backwards compatibility, and will use all of my existing accessories.

There is absolutely nothing Sony can do to entice me. Playstation doesn't have any games that I care about.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I currently see nothing that's worth a deciding choice outside brand loyalty and backwards compatibility at the moment.
Microsoft is winning by default just because they have "something"
Although games wise I hope what they've shown isn't all there is outside 3rd Party Games
Sony at the moment
IpDAgCi.gif

At the moment I'm just
source.gif

VertigoOA

Banned
I have less reasons to own them all I get older. I got over brand loyalties and at best just follow teams or directors with some kind of fandom. However, biggest movers and shakers aren’t necessarily exclusives. And I’d argue that the exclusive lineups are mostly interchangeable across the board. I think the PS4 is the best games machine of all time at this point no less, partly in thanks to Bloodborne being the best Metroidvania since Super Metroid.

A 100$ price difference isn’t a huge factor. Hell, even a 700$ console isn’t out of the question... I bought a launch 360 for more without a hard drive day one.

Power is a huge factor. Best versions of games and I’d still rather play Halo and Gears over any Naughty Dog game. From software is everywhere etc... and yea 343 is a team of hacks but still rather play their game...

Add already existing library of bc support, enchanted bc support, forward compatibility for today’s biggest online games, and fucking gamespass!

Gamespass alone will offset the cost of the more powerful hardware.

Only way I’d go Sony if they can can surpass MS’ hardware and I dont think they will. This is one of those instances were leaks have a trend at being ... true.

Sony fucked up having the less powerful machine this go around.

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I'm still undecided about whether or not I'm even getting a next-gen console. I don't like the direction Sony and Microsoft are heading politically and I don't really want to give them money if I can avoid it. I also don't like how they are starting to censor their games.

And most of the people I used to play console with are growing up and have work and families and just don't spend as much time online as they used to.

Right now I'm leaning toward getting a PC upgrade in a few years and cutting ties with the consoles.

But I am a (physical) game collector, and if I do actually skip the new consoles I will miss out on a bunch of new games. Even if half the next-gen games are digital only, there will still be a lot of stuff I'll be missing. Plus the console exclusives. So I'm not discounting the consoles completely. If I had to pick one, it'd be the PlayStation. Just like their games more. Xbox really took a shit this gen (and that's a disappointment for me considering how big of a fanboy of the 360 I was).

The one thing that will sell me immediately is FULL backwards compatibility on the PS5.

More or less...no reason for me to jump ship when ive been invested in the same environment for the past 2 gens

That said - its not a closed book. Im definitely open to switch.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm definitely leaning XSX as my first console, but I'm not closing the door on either until they are both fully revealed.

Portugeezer

PS5 will probably be my first purchase, unless there is some big differentiator yet to be seen.

I have switched brands every gen though, and this gen I had a PS4, so...

I think the best choice for me is PS5 as that is the safe choice. If the new xbox turns out to be something special I'll get one of those too. Can't really lose with Sony's game releases.

Nooope. The only thing that could get me to buy an Xbox instead of PS5 is if Sony fucks up royally like Microsoft did with the Xbox One, and Microsoft suddenly starts offering worthwhile exclusives.

So just about 0% chance. Regardless of price/power, all that matters to me is games and features. Exclusives, VR..

Plus the XSX looks like a small PC tower which is incredibly unappealing to me. Yes, I care about form-factor, size and design. Crossing my fingers that the PS5 looks better than that.

Kazza

Plus the XSX looks like a small PC tower which is incredibly unappealing to me. Yes, I care about form-factor, size and design. Crossing my fingers that the PS5 looks better than that.

th

I genuinely think this, or a variation of it, would be a great design.

Top Bottom