• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anybody here genuinely undecided about which next gen console they are going to get?

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Getting both. Always have done.

Been putting money aside each week for them so why not? 🙂

Zannegan

Of course not. I might get either, both, or neither depending on what they offer in terms of features, performance, and games, just like every gen. Why on earth would I stan for a brand when I don't know what they're offering?

sn0man

But for anyone with an outdated PC looking to undertake a complete rebuild, I think the next gen consoles may offer a very tempting alternative (assuming that they only use their PC as a gaming platform)

As someone that uses a Mac for computing and built a dedicated gaming PC I’m still fairly undecided. If Sony joins MS for their online requirements I will likely build another gaming PC for the living room.

Last edited:
I'm currently leaning towards the PS5 rather than the XSX, based purely on the fact, that I've had such a great time with the PS4 this gen. Plus, I'll likely be able to play any XSX exclusive that takes my fancy on the PC anyways. :messenger_sunglasses:

-Troid-

Banned
I mostly play Multiplat games and care little for either Microsoft's or Sony's exclusives, so if the XSX is indeed more powerful than PS5 as leaks/rumors suggest, then I'll probably get that.

When depends on price. If the SX is $500 and I can trade in my One S for a decent dent off the price I'll probably get it day one. If it's $600 I'll probably wait for a price drop.

Really would like to see actual info on the PS5 though.

Hostile_18

Banned
I want to go PS5 because that's where my massive back catalogue and favorite developer is, but it would be foolish to rule out one console over the other.

When both are fully revealed I'll weight them up and make an informed decision.

Well sony exclusives are much better to me but if the github leak is correct which i think it will be ps5 doesn't look so good, i wouldn't buy a 2GHZ console, which will probably have high malfunction rate and if BC doesn't improve games Like the X series i'm switching.

Birdo

Banned
Nah, I'll probably just go with PS5 because I've invested more in that ecosystem.

However, I do think that the Series X will be a better machine.

Im pretty sure I'll stick with Xbox.
I knowingly went with inferior hardware and software (lack of exclusives) this gen, because I really like the XBL online environment. I think I'll do the same next time.

Kdad

Looking at the responses to every morsel of next-gen news, it seems that many people (if not most) already made up their minds long ago and are now in justification mode. So, is there anyone here that can say hand-on-heart that they really are in two minds as to which console they are going to buy? If so, which factors will be most important in your decision?

Despite MS's big news drop today, there are still a number of unknowns which could influence someone's choice:
- specs (of the PS5 and Lockhart)
- price
- launch line up of games
- confirmation of rumours of PS4/5 exclusives coming to PC
- backwards compatibility (PS5 only, already confirmed for Xbox)

Even for those who think they know which console they are going to get, would any of these realistic "worst case scenarios" make you change your mind?

Screenshot__90_.0.png

Worst case PS5 scenario:
- same price as Series X, but only 9 TF
- Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War confirmed for PC, with hints of delayed PC ports of first party PS5 games as well
- backwards compatibility limited to PS4 only

xbox-series-x-xbox-next-gen.jpg

Worst case Xbox scenario:
- Series X only slightly more powerful than PS5 but over $100+ more
- lacklustre lineup of launch window titles, despite their recent studio purchases
- the first party titles look compromised due to the need to cater to last-gen Xbox One users

Even those worst case scenarios aren't on the same level as the PS3 and Xbox One botched launches, but they might be enough to tip the balance.

BTW, I know that the choice of consoles aren't mutually exclusive, but I imagine that for most people (even Gaf members) dropping $1000+ on console hardware in one go isn't something that most would be willing to consider, especially given how similar they are likely to be, so some kind of decision will be necessary for most.

BTW2 I will be getting a PC, so have no dog in this fight. I'll just say that I'm happy that MS raised the bar today and hope that Sony follows closely in terms of specs. The imminent release of next gen consoles is good news for PC gamers looking to push gaming forward. They look like being a good value proposition vis-a-vis PC (at least for the first year), and I would be tempted myself, if I didn't need a powerful PC for non-gaming purposes.
Nothing would interest me about Xbox. Any game will be on PC. The only choice is PS5...it's just a matter of whether I need it at launch of not.

GriffinCorp

So far I'm leaning towards getting the XSX, but I want to see how Sony handles Backwards Compatibility. BC is something that I don't use a lot of the time but I feel so much gratitude when I do use it. Playing 4 generations of Xbox games on one console sounds great. I would love to be able to play PSone and PS2 games on the PS5. Seeing how Sony handled the PS2 games on PS4 doesn't give me much hope.

At some early point I end up with both consoles, this time I would like to pick one and support it for 2/3 years or longer. Most of my gaming friends play COD on Xbox so that has to get factored too.

So far I'm leaning towards getting the XSX, but I want to see how Sony handles Backwards Compatibility. BC is something that I don't use a lot of the time but I feel so much gratitude when I do use it. Playing 4 generations of Xbox games on one console sounds great. I would love to be able to play PSone and PS2 games on the PS5. Seeing how Sony handled the PS2 games on PS4 doesn't give me much hope.

At some early point I end up with both consoles, this time I would like to pick one and support it for 2/3 years or longer. Most of my gaming friends play COD on Xbox so that has to get factored too.

I think X will run most last gen games at 60fps which is crazy.

Pobb

Neo Member
PS5 day one for me.
I bought an Xbox one for MCC and Halo 5. MCC was awful for a long time and Halo 5 sucked.
If Halo infinite is good I'll consider a series x.
Gears of war remastered was awesome on the xbox but none of the 1st party titles interest me anymore apart from Forza Horizon.
Playstation just have better exclusive games.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Being a pc gamer I pick up consoles for exclusives so I have no idea which---if any---console I'll choose from the upcoming generation. I mean sure, Sony is most likely to have to have some exclusives I find worth the purchase of a console, eventually, but I can't rule out Nintendo. Even Microsoft could change their stance and stop putting practically everything on PC too.

Too early for your decisions to be set in stone on this one, people.

Last edited:

Three

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and the decline in PS+ quality made the choice between Xbox and PS easy.

Subbed to Game Pass Ultimate till 2023. Stopped subbing to PS+ after they cut down to a measly 2 paid games/month.

If I get a next-gen machine it will be an Xbox, but I could just as easily save the money I would have spent on a console and use it towards PC upgrades.
Says the guy who bought an xbox one at launch and was defending it to death with games like Ryse.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Nah I know where the games I like are at. Psv day one the hyperbolic comments from fanboys after every announcement is funny. Most ppl know where thy are gaming.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm uncertain if I will even buy a nextgen console, but if I do it'll be a PS5 with full backwards compatibility with my existing Ps1-PS4 library.

Not interested otherwise.

sublimit

Banned
Unless Sony does something very stupid and pisses me off, PS5 is a one way road for me. Especially if they make it backwards compatible with all their previous consoles since i have a Playstation library that extends for over 25 years.
It's more a question of "when i'll get it" than "if i get it".

And i still need to get a Switch. This is the first gen that i have postponed so much buying a Nintendo console (i usually buy one 2-3 years after i buy the new Sony console for a Sony/Nintendo combo) but lately i find it really hard to find the time to invest to more than one system. But i will get it one day (or Switch Pro/2) because it has exclusives that i really want to play.

And that brings me to MS. I don't have a history with any of their systems since they never had any exclusives that i wanted to play and they have showed nothing so far to make me even consider buying their new console(s). I don't care for subscription services like Gamepass either because i want to choose the game i buy and play it at MY own time,when I want to play it and being able to replay it whenever i want to. For the same reason i don't care in the slightest for PS Now and i would have dropped PS+ instantly if they didn't had online-play locked behind it.
I also don't care about specs. If i did cared about having the most powerful system i would have made a gaming PC. I can still go back and fire up my PS2/PS3/Wii/WiiU and play my old games and enjoy them tremendously.

For me it's all about the games,and especially about unique Japanese ones. On that front both Sony and Nintendo have a history and legacy that they carry with them into their future that MS just can't compete with.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I’m waiting to see all options on the table but for the most part made up my mind that is unless someone surprises us with some crazy feature or specs.

hunthunt

Banned
PlayStation will always be my console of interest and always love their hardward and first party output.

If microsoft ouput decent games with thheir suppossed decent teams I may get a nice gaming pc to play them.

Zero interest in that ugly ass xboxx

Last edited:
No, because I'm getting both :) i don't have brand loyalty. i have game loyalty. i just love games and both platforms offer great games and experiences.

Bkdk

Me. As I’m gonna focus on PC, I’m not gonna get either console until they have an exclusive that I really want to play it right away. So far I have no idea which one yet.

AGRacing

I will eventually own both I believe... unless someone screws up....

But right now I have no idea which one I will buy first. I have definitely been more of a PlayStation guy (today I don’t even own an Xbox... I’ve been playing those games on PC) but the series X power is going to be incredible.

Price, PS5 spec and launch titles will all influence my decision.

Nester99

I will buy both eventually but launch will depend on launch exclusives and what Xbox does with game pass.

leaning to PS5 as I think it will have better exclusives and my current XBox X will run game pass like a champ for a while.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Upgrading to a 3080 Ti AND buying an XSX.
One percenter! jk this will likely be my route as well. I have an office for my pc setup(my primary gaming setup) and the xsx will make a nice compliment to it in the living room. I may also buy a ps5 for the exclusives though... fuck I don't know lol. I'll probably just end up buying them all again and wondering why I'm broke all the time.

Last edited:

Daymos

I'm undecided. I have a long standing dislike of microsoft's business practices (since I bought MS office in college 20 years ago... and built pcs with windows of course) and I also dislike Sony's social justice crap.

I have no idea which system I'll buy. I have a ps4 and mainly use it as a blu ray player, but when that dies I'll need a new 'blu ray' player.. and it'll be an xbox or playstation5, cuz it might as well play games too. :messenger_beaming:

I don't care about 4k/60fps so either system will have plenty of power for me. I also don't like the last of us, god of war ,nor forza, gears of war, or halo... so I guess 1st party stuff doesn't matter so much. I'm mainly a big JRPG and zelda/metroid fan, who also loves portable gaming (which matters none in terms of sony/ms now).

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I am, for sure. I grew up playing consoles as I was a child as they were just more accessible to me. But when I got into PC gaming in my teens, that became by primary. However, I still wanted to own all of the consoles. Growing up I realize how expensive that was, so I ended up rolling with 1, at least since the PS3/360 era.

I've flipped flopped between Microsoft and Sony for forever. Sometimes I owned both, but played one more than the other, which eventually lead to me selling the one I barely touched. So really, the outcome belongs to anyone. However, I'll admit that when it comes to exclusives and first party characters, it's hard not to assume it'll be Sony. I just don't want to get ahead of myself because you never know. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Old Empire.

Most of my third party games are on PS4 pro. Nevertheless, if the Xbox is better spec wise, I just going to buy it at launch over the PS5. Might as well drop the extra money for better FPS and the extra power.

If somehow PS5 and xbox are identical, i just get the PS5 .

bRacing

Banned
Completely undecided if I'll get both. The only given is that I own a Switch and love it. If MS delivers a noticeably stronger console than Sony, I'll buy theirs and use it for third party games and exclusives, and down the line maybe get a PS5 for their exclusives. And vice versa if Sony releases the more powerful console I'll go with them first. Compared with Nintendo, neither Sony nor MS deliver exclusives in a way that drives me towards them like Nintendo does, but they do create platforms for third parties to shine in a way that Nintendo never does.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Don't care. I'll be gettikg both anyways, as I always do. I already have the money set aside.

Top Bottom