• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else bored of loot?

down 2 orth

It feels like the last five or six years have been game makers trying to outdo each other in getting players attached to their game's loot.

I'm sure it's worked well. I'm pretty sure a lot of players have had many a 'WOW' moment, and for some people, getting a special item is the best part of their regular everyday lives (a lot of Destiny players come to mind).

I'm sick of it though. Loot crates don't do anything for me. I thought Diablo 3 was boring as fuck spending almost as much time fighting as swifting through loot. Borderlands 2 was fun for a while, but eventually I had the same gripe. And in Neverwinter it was just painful watching a well established D&D world get shit on by MMO mechanics... dozens of people riding giant spiders around town, like that's what fantasy is all about.

Baldur's Gate did it best, I think, because great items were given sparingly. I remember halfway through the game getting a staff that glowed, and it was a huge deal. Soulsborne games have been pretty good about it too. Anyways, interested to hear what others think.

I think for the loot aspect to be engaging, the game must be extremely likable OUTSIDE of that aspect, otherwise the loot is just a confusing chore.

Haven't played too many loot games but even in the ones I have (Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 1) the loot gathering aspect of it wasn't what appealed to me, though I did like the games. Couldn't get into Path of Exile at all, primarily due to the loot drops.

xviper

pretty much most games loot was boring and nothing excited, at the end, you will get what other players have

except in one game, that game is Destiny 1 Year 1, the loot in that game was incredibly special, when you get a certain weapon that other players don't have, you will feel like a fucking boss, i remember in the first week of the game's launch, before Xur ever came, i got a SORUS Regime drop from a PvP match, i was shocked, and when i tried it, it was OP as fuck, i destroyed everyone in PvP and i was the only one i met who has it, it felt so damn good and felt so damn special, but then that fucker Xur sold the weapon on his second week and ruined the moment for me

Destiny 2 failed to do this as it gives pretty much all the Exotics to everyone in the easiest way, not to mention that pretty much all the exotics sucks and aren't special, i'm not complaining, i'm glad they did this because i don't want to spend more time in D2 like i did in D1, i know that D1 was much better, but D1 sank my time and i'm glad that didn't happen with D2 as i stopped playing like just 1 month and a half from the game's launch

It feels like the last five or six years have been game makers trying to outdo each other in getting players attached to their game's loot.

I'm sure it's worked well. I'm pretty sure a lot of players have had many a 'WOW' moment, and for some people, getting a special item is the best part of their regular everyday lives (a lot of Destiny players come to mind).

I'm sick of it though. Loot crates don't do anything for me. I thought Diablo 3 was boring as fuck spending almost as much time fighting as swifting through loot. Borderlands 2 was fun for a while, but eventually I had the same gripe. And in Neverwinter it was just painful watching a well established D&D world get shit on by MMO mechanics... dozens of people riding giant spiders around town, like that's what fantasy is all about.

Baldur's Gate did it best, I think, because great items were given sparingly. I remember halfway through the game getting a staff that glowed, and it was a huge deal. Soulsborne games have been pretty good about it too. Anyways, interested to hear what others think.

Yes, especially in games that are only good for a quick burst like Battlefront 2. I've been playing it this last few days and I don't even know what the cards do. I'm sure they will boost me in some way, but idgaf in the slightest, it's a cumbersome front end that stands between me jumping in and out.

Redshirt

Banned
Not really, but my favorite genres are cRPGs, aRPGs and looter shooters. I don't like when loot systems are shoehorned, though.

I'm fine with classic low-magic style for cRPGs and BGII is my favorite game, but that doesn't translate well to aRPGs.

Also, I've never spent more time sorting loot than fighting in either D3 or BL2, which are my most played games ever, I'm sure.

Shifty

I think Borderlands 2 was the last time I really enjoyed loot.

Stat-driven RPG systems in general have been wearing on me as of late. I'd much rather have a fixed set of stuff that is carefully, explicitly balanced rather than the 'soft' balancing that comes with grinding up levels and improving your gear.

Setmeni

I personally liked how Witcher 3 handled it. You either crafted the best stuff or went on a treasure hunt, everything else was useless.

xviper

I personally liked how Witcher 3 handled it. You either crafted the best stuff or went on a treasure hunt, everything else was useless.

not really, the easiest way to get good loot in Witcher 3 is by playing Witcher contracts quests, after you kill the monster, you earn amazing loot, and these quests are scattered all around the map, crafting weapons does make the best ones but they are not that much better from the ones you get in Witcher contract quests

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I love tinkering tweaking my char constantly to maximize my dps output.
Try new builds and compare them.
That shit is like digital crack for me.
Diablo 3 is the best loot game of all time.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
pretty much most games loot was boring and nothing excited, at the end, you will get what other players have

except in one game, that game is Destiny 1 Year 1, the loot in that game was incredibly special, when you get a certain weapon that other players don't have, you will feel like a fucking boss, i remember in the first week of the game's launch, before Xur ever came, i got a SORUS Regime drop from a PvP match, i was shocked, and when i tried it, it was OP as fuck, i destroyed everyone in PvP and i was the only one i met who has it, it felt so damn good and felt so damn special, but then that fucker Xur sold the weapon on his second week and ruined the moment for me

Destiny 2 failed to do this as it gives pretty much all the Exotics to everyone in the easiest way, not to mention that pretty much all the exotics sucks and aren't special, i'm not complaining, i'm glad they did this because i don't want to spend more time in D2 like i did in D1, i know that D1 was much better, but D1 sank my time and i'm glad that didn't happen with D2 as i stopped playing like just 1 month and a half from the game's launch
Yup i got the SUROS REGIME on a drop early too only person I knew who had one I used that exotic as my only weapon for soooo long 😊

Brofist

So it's only good if you can be a special snowflake

Ichabod

Banned
Hell no. I'm a complete loot whore. Seeing a legendary drop from whatever loot pinata you just finished beating the hell out of is aces. Tinkering with unique/legendary item set-ups to make a beastly build is my jam.

Randomized loot crates can just fuck off, though.

Valdega

I think loot can add an interesting layer to a game but it's not a compulsion factor for me. I got bored of Destiny 2 real quick because I didn't find the core gameplay all that compelling.

Of the loot systems I've tried, I liked Shadow Warrior 2's the best. Instead of getting random weapons, you get random gems that can slot into weapons. This way, you have a small set of unique weapons that look and feel very distinct but also the ability to customize their attributes and behavior with gems. I found that to be a much more interesting way to min/max.

RainblowDash

Gold Member
I like the Atelier games because you find individual ingredients with stats to make your own stuff, complete customization.

I also enjoyed Borderlands Pre-Sequel the most because it seemed like the drop rates in that one were way more forgiving than Borderlands 2.

laxu

I like unique loot. Nothing better than finding a unique weapon or armor after killing a tough enemy or finding a secret area.

A good example is Dark Souls games vs Nioh. Nioh has the Diablo style loot system where only stats matter whereas DS gives you weapons where most have unique movesets or favor certain builds and buffs. Finding new weapons in DS is always a joy whereas in Nioh it eventually becomes "oh this is not even a green tier weapon, sell it".

sublimit

Banned
I like unique loot. Nothing better than finding a unique weapon or armor after killing a tough enemy or finding a secret area.

A good example is Dark Souls games vs Nioh. Nioh has the Diablo style loot system where only stats matter whereas DS gives you weapons where most have unique movesets or favor certain builds and buffs. Finding new weapons in DS is always a joy whereas in Nioh it eventually becomes "oh this is not even a green tier weapon, sell it".

Well said.I totally agree.

I too like Unique loot in a single player game. That is, stuff with its own look, abilities and lore.
In PvP, Im perfectly fine with objects sharing the same mesh and just being texture swaps etc. As long as they have different stats. Chasing "perfect" weapons can be fun there.

cormack12

Gold Member
I like the concept of loot but it's implemented so poorly. What I want from an epic loot is something really grabbing in a cosmetic sense. Size, glow, attack effects. I want it to look unique and powerful. A lot of stuff might have an orange or gold emblem and has better dps or a class bonus but they don't really stand out. I'm seeing more and more people chasing the same item in games like the promotheus lens. Reminds me of WoW when the cloth classes were chasing the same vestments.

Destiny 2 exotics add a little light effect but it's not enough. Plus loot games have to be finishable with a base level (unless scaled). Like even if you have an ultra rare, high DPS weapon the game needs to account for those players who just rely on generic world loot and want to finish the game. Especially in terms of crafting and side quests.

Possibly the most balanced has been kingdoms of amalur crafting from what I've played.

Unique loot seems to be the same loot with different rolls these days. Diablo 3 was a good loot game but even that became tiresome after a bit. After a while i just want to be able to search/design a specific weapon and go and harvest the items for that.

I think the aesthetic look and the stats need to br seperated out. Like the division has a goid system for that which I hope is embraced by more developers.

Part of the joy of Borderlands was progressing through the narrative, which took the attention away from any tedious, loot meta game.

It also really helped to have a really snappy UI so that you didn't feel bogged down with inventory management.

A good loot-based game needs to remove the impression that dealing with loot is a chore. It needs to actually make loot a secondary focus.

I am sick to my core of playing games where I keep finding useless junk. I miss old games like classic Zelda where almost every chest you’d find would contain something meaningful that would almost always certainly be better than the equipment you already had. Seeing a chest was fun and exciting. You *knew* it would contain something good. In BotW and Witcher 3, I quickly became jaded of seeing any sort of loot. It’s like they’re not even rewarding you for completing hard tasks. It’s like it’s just there to waste your time. My reaction to seeing a chest was often “oh great, another chest with some shitty ass rusty sword.”
I mean what’s the point? It sucks out all the joy of playing the game if it doesn’t reward you properly. Rewarding the player is one of the very basics of game design and this system goes against it. Even the hidden chests in the shrines of the latest BotW DLC contained weapons/shields that were all inferior to everything I had in my inventory. You make me solve a complex puzzle and you reward me with a fucking wooden kokiri sword!? I mean, fuck you pal!

How does anyone even like that sort of system? Even Witcher 3 had you go to insanely long questing/crafting lengths to obtain legendary Witcher gear, only to find out that stores eventually sold gear that was much more powerful, rendering all that time you spent completely meaningless. Had I known I would not have bothered!

sublimit

Banned
I am sick to my core of playing games where I keep finding useless junk. I miss old games like classic Zelda where almost every chest you’d find would contain something meaningful that would almost always certainly be better than the equipment you already had. Seeing a chest was fun and exciting. You *knew* it would contain something good. In BotW and Witcher 3, I quickly became jaded of seeing any sort of loot. It’s like they’re not even rewarding you for completing hard tasks. It’s like it’s just there to waste your time. My reaction to seeing a chest was often “oh great, another chest with some shitty ass rusty sword.”
I mean what’s the point? It sucks out all the joy of playing the game if it doesn’t reward you properly. Rewarding the player is one of the very basics of game design and this system goes against it. Even the hidden chests in the shrines of the latest BotW DLC contained weapons/shields that were all inferior to everything I had in my inventory. You make me solve a complex puzzle and you reward me with a fucking wooden kokiri sword!? I mean, fuck you pal!

How does anyone even like that sort of system? Even Witcher 3 had you go to insanely long questing/crafting lengths to obtain legendary Witcher gear, only to find out that stores eventually sold gear that was much more powerful, rendering all that time you spent completely meaningless. Had I known I would not have bothered!

You are absolutely right (with the Souls games being the only exception to my knowledge to this rule).Unfortunatelly in most modern games loot is only there in order to reward players with OCD who want to collect everything regardless of value. Personally i'm always about the "journey" rather than the "destination" so i don't care much except if it's something like Nioh's loot which then becomes annoying and breaks the flow of the actual game.

BANGS

Banned
I've always been bored of the generic loot process, since like year 2000 with Phantasy Star Online. I feel like you're just playing and praying for a good drop, instead of actually having a clear goal to earn one. While actually getting a good drop is exciting, everything in between is pointless...

I much prefer to get set items from set quests, so it feels like an accomplishment and is much less frustrating. Loot systems are pretty lazy IMO and never feel engaging...

Narroo

I was bored of loot from the get go. Diablo 2 was an amazing disappointment that I fail to understand the attraction of. Even games like Oblivion, which are only sorta loot based, bore me to tears. Loot was the greatest flaw in Kid Icarus Uprising. I really hope they stop emphasizing it so much.

Sentenza

Well designed loot is always a plus. Badly designed loot is always a negative.
Pretty much, yes.
Now I guess the rest of the conversation depends on what we count as good or bad.

For instance, I'd say more games need loot like Baldur's Gate II (several excellent unique, hand-placed items, which are a challenge and a joy to find).
On the other hand I would gladly do without any Diablo-like system. Games like Diablo, Borderlands, Darksiders 2, Nioh, etc.... I really don't like wasting my time gathering and comparing HUNDREDS of items, which are always pretty much the same fucking thing often with trivial variations in stats.
It never feels rewarding, it never feels "diverse". It just takes away from the uniqueness of every treasure and it turns everything in a dull grey goo of items.
Not to mention it's also pace-breaking and introduces a lot of UI bloat (especially when tied to any sort of inventory management).

Fuck randomized loot, really.

Dunki

I honestly love random loot for various reasons. The most important part is that it often also "forces" you to use different strategies. Example you start the game as some knight with a sword but suddendly a huge legendary Axe drops. It makes you reconsiders your normally pretty straight way through a game.

Also it makes multile playthgoughs more intersting since you have to adjust as well.

Sentenza

I honestly love random loot for various reasons. The most important part is that it often also "forces" you to use different strategies. Example you start the game as some knight with a sword but suddendly a huge legendary Axe drops. It makes you reconsiders your normally pretty straight way through a game.

Also it makes multile playthgoughs more intersting since you have to adjust as well.
I disagree with both statements.
The claim is typically "everything is random so every time it feels different", but in my experience what happens when the reward is completely randomized is actually that "any moment feels pretty much the same".

There's no "thrill to see what's next" as much as "feeling that your accomplishments hardly matter because rewards come randomly".

Redshirt

Banned
There absolutely is thrill to see what's next for aRPG fans. Maybe that genre isn't for you, but that doesn't mean it's bad design.

I also think PoE handles this really well since if you're not into solo self found, you can trade all the good stuff you do find for all the stuff you want.

Wulfram

I'm bored of that same damn system of MMO style loot that seems to have got absolutely everywhere, with the greens and blues and purples/oranges.

I'm bored of loot that's just a minor upgrade to one of a whole Christmas tree of slots of my current gear, and will be replaced by another minor upgrade in not very long.

I'm bored of loot that rewards me for risking a higher level area by not letting me use anything until I level up.

What I want are loot systems that aren't terrified of letting me be overpowered for a bit, and which let me find cool items that I'll use for an appreciable chunk of the game

I want loot systems that offer me interesting options, not just endless numerical inflation.

In KOTOR, you spend half the game with normal equipment until you get skilled enough to build your own light saber from scratch.

That’s what loot should be like. No complex color code system or wading through trash 24/7, just regular stuff until you can actually build something epic on your own, and no “chance” involved.

Modern loot systems take away from the epic payoff of crafting or getting something great because everything is either very rare or only an incremental upgrade.

Haeleos

Diablo 2 was an amazing disappointment that I fail to understand the attraction of.

It's a progression mechanic that gives you a constant stream of rewards that help to differentiate your character cosmetically and mechanically from others as well as overcome increasing difficulties. What are you failing to understand?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I like loot if it's good loot. I don't like amassing 90% of the same useless crap over and over again. Coming back from exploring for a few hours and have 30 Iron Swords, 25 Leather Helms, and just one unique/legendary item.

But if I had my choice to have a game with or without loot I'd take the repetitive loot over no loot at all. It gives you motive to explore. Without loot what motivation do you really even have to explore unless you know the game has some type of a hidden boss, hidden recruitable character or something else really cool? I mean, essentially, all sidequest stuff in RPGs are all a means to getting some kind of loot combined with bragging rights.

When you find that secret cave or town, you hope the cave has some cool powerful weapon, and you hope that town has additional sidequests to give you cool weapons or armor. When you beat that secret boss, you hope he drops a badass weapon or item. So I think loot is very important, I just prefer it not to be watered down with 90% crap.

Fbh

Yep. I dislike most games that focus on loot and I hate it when games have random loot systems.

I find no enjoyment or excitement in killing the same enemies over and over and over in order to get the same weapon I've owned hundreds of times before but now with higher attack values and a better passive ability.

I also hate it when getting better loot is the main objective of a game. I enjoy getting better gear in games, I enjoy the sense of progression of my character growing stronger and allowing me to face greater challenges. But when the only point of getting better loot is to be able to grind/farm through a higher level version of the same old content simply to get better loot I just don't see the point and do, in fact, just find it to be boring.

Games with unbalanced loot are just as bad though. It's the main reason I have a hard time enjoying Skyrim. Yes it's cool that I can enter a random cave while exploring and find a whole dungeon with a challenging enemy at the end. But when my reward for doing so is some crappy equipment it always feels unrewarding

One of the many reasons I like the souls games so much is that I think they do loot/gear right. You are given specific items for completing specific tasks (often beating an enemy/Boss, completing a quest or exploring). Moreover (at least in the PVE part of the game) weapons are defined by more than just their stats, meaning that there is value in finding a new weapon because while its stats might be worse than what I already own, maybe its moveset will fit better with my playstyle
The day that beating a boss in a souls game gives me 6 different Uchigatanas with slightly different stats is the day I'll start losing interest in the souls formula

Sentenza

In KOTOR, you spend half the game with normal equipment until you get skilled enough to build your own light saber from scratch.

That’s what loot should be like. No complex color code system or wading through trash 24/7
Gothic had an even more interesting system: you are given a couple of genuinely cheap and basic armors at first, then you have to join one of the three factions to get one of the more valuable ones, then climb ranks in that faction to get several improvements over that.

When it comes to weapons, you'll find some of the most common ones as standard equipment for most people/monsters, then a handful of valuable unique items around the landscape.

This "less is more" approach actually works wonders to make you feel like every single finding is a fucking big deal.

Top Bottom