• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else's Switch... bent?

Coxy100

Banned
Right but is it built 'incorrectly' if it seems perfect to the naked eye and functions as intended?

I mean what is the actual negative impact of this other than bothering people who take the time to test their console with a ruler after reading a thread about it on a message board?
Why are you defending a console getting bent?

Mine seems completely straight, idk.

But also if your console is so slightly warped that you didn't even notice until you saw this thread and got a ruler out... who gives a shit?

Right but is it built 'incorrectly' if it seems perfect to the naked eye and functions as intended?

I mean what is the actual negative impact of this other than bothering people who take the time to test their console with a ruler after reading a thread about it on a message board?

These can't be real posts.

hiim_haz

Banned
Haven't noticed this with mine. Sucks though some people have it. I have a hard time believing it's bending because if the dock though, seems more likely that it came like that out of the box.

Soi-Fong

Noticed mine is a bit bent too. I'm not too picky on this issue though, compared to dead pixels and such since there's not a noticeable effect on the screen itself when playing.

It's still annoying though and just another mark against Nintendo on their horrid QA for this console.

shira

GAF has such unreasonable expectations. Switches are meant to have curves.

oGJbpSK.jpg

Minarik

Idk can you explain to me why a console being (imperceptibly) bent matters?

The issue for me isn't necessarily the bend itself (as mine is currently very slight), but it could be indicative of a more serious underlying issue, like overheating.

angelic

Banned
Will it? Industrial design isn't the issue here whereas the DS Fat was an eyesore to everyone. The Switch has, by and large, gotten plenty of kudos for how substantial it looks (and feels).

I think we'll see a new one in 2018 correcting the many flaws.

LoveCake

First I have heard of this, the only thing I can think of is it's a heat issue when docked.

It really does seem to be one issue after another with the Switch :/

LoveCake

But how is it low-quality if the problem in question is literally imperceptible unless you see a forum thread and get out a ruler?

If it is a heat issue and gets worse over time then it could well be a real problem, I don't have a Switch but if I did it would only be a home console and would never come out of the dock.

I worry enough as it is about my other consoles breaking where there is no issue with them, but there seems to be numerous issues with the Switch, Nintendo had enough time to get this all sorted out, people cannot say that the Switch was rushed to launch, yet is seems that the hardware is not 100% and there are issues with the software not being ready like the browser and YouTube app, I am sorry but it just isn't good enough, I am not a Nintendo hater either, I have all previous Nintendo consoles.

Nintendo should be doing it better, they really should.

FX-GMC

If it is a heat issue and gets worse over time then it could well be a real problem, I don't have a Switch but if I did it would only be a home console and would never come out of the dock.

I worry enough as it is about my other consoles breaking where there is no issue with them, but there seems to be numerous issues with the Switch, Nintendo had enough time to get this all sorted out, people cannot say that the Switch was rushed to launch, yet is seems that the hardware is not 100% and there are issues with the software not being ready like the browser and YouTube app, I am sorry but it just isn't good enough, I am not a Nintendo hater either, I have all previous Nintendo consoles.

I would think, if heat was the issue, there would be noticeable gaps where the panels meet because not all of the plastics that mate are going to be heated to the same temperature and would therefore not be as likely to bend. Without gaps I would say it's a manufacturing defect.

totowhoa

Banned

I'd 100% wait for the holiday purchase if you didn't adopt a Switch at launch! I haven't had any issues with mine (though I haven't checked to see if it's bent yet). But better safe than sorry - plus there *should* be plenty to play for this winter, depending on your tastes.

Breakage

Perhaps Nintendo took inspiration from the first-gen X360's inhaled designs.
It's inhaling ready to release its power into hands of enchanted Nintendo fans.

JoeInky

I have the warping dock issue, but it doesn't scratch the screen.

The switch itself does seem to be slightly bent, but would it even be worth contacting Nintendo about it?

DVCY201

So, looks like another manufacturing variation then, which makes sense with the plastic filling and cooling.

Geez, Nintendo should find a new manufacturer. Whoever assembled the units, really dropped the ball

Edit: just laid mine down on a table, both sides, no light peering through or wobbling

Dynheart covers this process in great detail and excellently put. Everyone in this thread should read it. If it's a concern for you, contact Nintendo for a replacement or wait before your warranty expires

ggx2ac

I don't think it's a heat issue when the Switch is in operation. I think it is likely to be a manufacturing issue as explained by Dynheart in the quotes below.

Since I've also shown how bendable the plastic is by force but is still usable, these bent Switches most likely passed quality control because they still worked hence being only a cosmetic fault.

I doubt the plastic is warping due to operational use when we've seen the heat tests show around 50°C at the fan vent.

If we identify the type of plastic it is using, it would be easier knowing its melting point then.

Considering that smartphones get really hot easily and don't have this warping issue, the Switch could be using the same type of plastic as smartphone casings which is a polycarbonate where it's upper working temperature range is 115°C to 130°C, that would be more than double the temperature inside the Switch when operating.

Even we see here from the ifixit teardown that the Switch also has a metal layer which is likely aluminium to conduct heat just like in some tablets that use aluminium casings to conduct heat since those systems run hot without fans.

I'm thinking it is likely the below quotes that explain the warping issue due to quality control from manufacturers.

Being familiar with the plastication process, I can say with 100% certainty that this came out of the box. With these being bent, 1 of 2 things occurred.

1) The mixture during the fill process was off, causing issues during the cooling process. This causes integrity issues like thin zones, brittle areas etc. The casing seems to be fine, however, so outside of a few cases I do not think this would be the case.

2) The cooling process itself. If the manufacturer hastens the cooling process, and does not allow for the casing to set before ejection, the productiwill most likely warp. During my time in the plastication industry there were Q&A tests for these type of things. So I'm guessing these meet the manufactures, and Nintendo's, specifications for retail.

EDIT: To add, I'm sure the Switch casing was given a hardener during the fill process. So while it probably takes around 700 degrees initially to melt, it will take much more than that to break down once bonded together after cooling. Likely scenario is that the case would burn (wouldn't melt) due to the additive. I highly doubt the Switch get's that hot. So the dock some how molding it as the player is playing is very highly unlikely. I would go as far as to say impossible. 100% straight out of the box. If the plastic was that pliable while warm, I'm sure there would be finger indention's in the back of the Switch.

I'm trying to tell you guys that it's a non issue. It's just purely cosmetic (although depending on the severity, it may contribute to the scratched screens) . Look at any piece of plastic and it will have some type if warping, flashing, expanding etc. As long as they function, Nintendo and the manufacture will pass it (and company will) through their Q&A process. The only thing that is not acceptable is a failed integrity test.

Flashing can be manually removed, and I'm sure they have plenty of people for just that. Warping and expanding product, their machines and dies, I'm sure, compensate for these variations in the molding process. Although there is a limit as to what is acceptable.

I can guarantee that this is a byproduct of trying to meet demand. Fast cooling times, possibly improper filling process, and not letting the product set in a proper environment can cause problems. In this case, I'm sure they are cutting corners on the cooling process to meet demand.

Vena

It's not heat warping. The Switch isn't sustaining over hundreds of degrees centigrade to start warping industrial plastics.

My switch is partially bent, from a rough measure it's sub degree. It has been used docked all of once, and has never been "hot" on play. To warp plastic, I'd have gotten third degree burns by the logic being thrown around here.

ggx2ac

It's not heat warping. The Switch isn't sustaining over hundreds of degrees centigrade to start warping industrial plastics.

It's probably too late though to explain the actual cause because I've seen articles spread now about this issue. lol

Now a lot of people are going to think their Switch is near melting point as opposed to the bending being from quality control during manufacturing.

Vena

It's probably too late though to explain the actual cause because I've seen articles spread now about this issue. lol

Now a lot of people are going to think their Switch is near melting point as opposed to the bending being from quality control during manufacturing.

You'd also smell the plastic if it were warping, as the hottest layers would almost certainly be releasing vapors into the air. It'd be a mix of a burning and new-car smell.

But the other issue is that warping is non-uniform (because the heat is obviously non-uniform), so this would lead to the seals of the Switch front and back-panel peeling apart. But since no one has shown such split seams, it is very unlikely to have been due to any form of heat. (Also non-uniform, effectively brownian expansion would not "curve" so neatly in every device, that's nonsensical.)

The front of the Switch is likely 5-10C cooler (if not more) than the back when docked with the screen off and in handheld it'd be about even (screen side likely still cooler). If the heat is distributed on both sides, it'd likely not actually warp in the ways we see because it'd be even heating/expansion rates. But if only one side if overheating and warping, the front/panel side would actually rigidly try to oppose and this would lead to forced warping -> cracks -> seams breaking.

Of course, its also ludicrous to think the panel side of the Switch is warping at all because the pixels would almost definitely be heat-warped to different colors or outright just destroyed. Moreover, those pixels are themselves not that far from the heatsink/heat source, and they likely have very specific thresholds and are far more sensitive than plastic to heating.

VanWinkle

But how is it low-quality if the problem in question is literally imperceptible unless you see a forum thread and get out a ruler?

It's low quality because it's bent. It doesn't matter how easy it is to notice. A good quality product wouldn't be bent.

Kyle8497

I'm not a engineer or anything, but this sounds more like a manufacturing defect just like the JoyCon issue.

First I saw this. Just checked mine with a square and it does appear to be a little bent. I've played both docked and undocked about equal.

In my case it seems like in the back there is a place with a bump that I can even push back down somewhat.

The only other issue I've had is a game card not reading properly. That issue seems to be with one particular game and if I take it out and put it back it reads it fine. I guess I'm just going to hold on to it for now and may send it in for repairs at some point in the future.

Skellybroski88

Neo Member
Issues like this and the left joycon are stopping me from getting a switch even though I really want one. I feel like in a few months we will have a version that doesn't have all these issues.

mlclmtckr

Banned
It's low quality because it's bent. It doesn't matter how easy it is to notice. A good quality product wouldn't be bent.

Right but if you got out some high quality calipers you could find similar defects in almost everything you own. So what's the borderline here? No manufactured product is going to be perfectly straight down to the molecular level.

Right but if you got out some high quality calipers you could find similar defects in almost everything you own. So what's the borderline here? No manufactured product is going to be perfectly straight down to the molecular level.

In my case there is actually a hump on the back that can be pressed down a bit. Still though if it continues to function properly I will likely just keep it.

zeioIIDX

Issues like this and the left joycon are stopping me from getting a switch even though I really want one. I feel like in a few months we will have a version that doesn't have all these issues.

Same here, there's just no way I'm paying $300 for a console that has wifi issues, bends, has controller connectivity issues, and scratches/smudges when using the dock. For the first time ever, I'm waiting it out with a Nintendo console to see if they hopefully do a revision in the future that fixes these problems. By then, the games I actually want to play should be out already.

Mine's not bent.

I only suffer from bad wifi (not unusable, just not as fast as it should be) and JoyCon controllers that have a very slight give when attached to the switch. Too minor annoyances to do anything about it but still things I wish I could fix.

AddiF

Well then.. mine is a little bent but only on the right side it appears. Starts where the kickstand is and curves toward the screen on the right side of the Switch. My left JC wiggles, too.

Teletraan1

Banned
I can't wait to buy a refurb bent switch with some dead pixels, buffed out scratches and a bent dock with a fixed up left joycon for cheap.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Bin it.

In all seriousness I'm with everyone who suspects it came out of the factory like this with warped plastics.

Unfortunate but you'd have to really be looking for it to notice in most circumstances, like OP's.

Bin it.

In all seriousness I'm with everyone who suspects it came out of the factory like this with warped plastics.

Unfortunate but you'd have to really be looking for it to notice in most circumstances, like OP's.

I played mine daily and didn't notice until i saw this thread and put a straight edge on it. I can't imagine it's from getting too hot, as it's never been so hot that it was legitimately hot to touch it.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I played mine daily and didn't notice until i saw this thread and put a straight edge on it. I can't imagine it's from getting too hot, as it's never been so hot that it was legitimately hot to touch it.

Exactly, I don't think we'll ever live to see a day when Nintendo puts in an inadequate cooling system for their hardware.

muu

I took a look at this yesterday, wouldn't surprise me if this is within tolerance since it's imperceptible w/o a straight edge.

mindatlarge

Mines been docked pretty much exclusively, about 200 hours of Zelda played docked and it's fine. Some of my sessions are 6 or so hours as well at a time. Just to maybe eliminate that this is a docking/heat issue, at least when it's placed in a straight dock like I have.

Could a bent dock plus heat cause a Switch to bend like this perhaps?

Top Bottom