• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else's Switch... bent?

GAF has such unreasonable expectations. Switches are meant to have curves.

Launch hardware always has problems. I'm sure Gamestop will give people a fair trade in for the next revision of the Switch.

That launch exclusive rainbow edition Switch.

senj

I wonder if this could be from the battery expanding when under thermal load?

It would be bulging out on both sides, not warping preferentially in one direction.

Also: again, the Switch really doesn't get all that hot in the dock. My laptop gets hotter.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Bin it.

In all seriousness I'm with everyone who suspects it came out of the factory like this with warped plastics.

Unfortunate but you'd have to really be looking for it to notice in most circumstances, like OP's.

Yeah it probably is a factory defect, just like the bent/warped docks. Some factory somewhere decided to use the cheap fuck plastic instead of the good stuff, it happens.

GLAMr

The Nintendo Defence Force sure is coming in guns blazing...

"HOW DARE YOU EXPECT SUB-MILLIMETER VARIANCE IN FORM FACTOR FOR A $300 ELECTRONIC DEVICE?!?!"

This sucks for those affected, and I hope Nintendo fixes the issues in a future hardware revision.

If it is a heat issue and gets worse over time then it could well be a real problem, I don't have a Switch but if I did it would only be a home console and would never come out of the dock.

My gut has been telling me a heat issue, but I think it is fresh in my head from TV shopping. The 65 inch model of my tv (Sony X930D) had a number of heat warping complaints on AVS forums.

ParityBit

I just checked mine and it is pretty damn straight. Maybe a little bend ... it is real hard to tell.

I bought a Neon yesterday. I have about 20 min of Zelda + set-up time on it. The Joy-cons worked with no sync loss yet, and they seem to be pretty tight (no wiggle) and no bad pixels.

Lylo

It sucks for the people that are having these problems and i hope Nintendo sort this out, i guess i'm lucky, mine is perfect, bought it day one and i don't have a single problem yet.

nynt9

I posted this in another thread, but my switch appears to be slightly bent in the top right, bending inwards. I rarely ever play docked.

Soi-Fong

Looking at the NintendoLife comments, it's insane how much people are willing to give a pass to Nintendo for these hardware issues. Just insane to me. Any criticism is completely ignored and placed on the user for using the system "incorrectly."

I'm enjoying the Switch and it's a really wonderful console, but even I understand it has many faults.

It's just crazy how rabid Nintendo fanboys are. I guess I shouldn't be surprised what with the Zelda debacle and Jim Sterling.

Looking at the NintendoLife comments, it's insane how much people are willing to give a pass to Nintendo for these hardware issues. Just insane to me. Any criticism is completely ignored and placed on the user for using the system "incorrectly."

Pretty much. The Nintendo Switch has kind of had a ton of hardware issues that should have been caught during adequate QA testing, but none of it seems to matter.

Pretty much. The Nintendo Switch has kind of had a ton of hardware issues that should have been caught during adequate QA testing, but none of it seems to matter.
It's moreso the fact that it's the launch phase of a new console and just like every generation past, some people get screwed and have a faulty console that either has issues or is completely bricked. Yeah it sucks, but buying launch consoles is essentially beta testing the hardware until they have the next revision that fixes the issues and they can sell to you at full price again. Lest we forget 360 rrod's that a mass amount of people had to deal with and wasn't there some issue with PS2 disc drives or something? At least in the Switch's case, it's been nothing console bricking, so far... And just like every company and every past console launches, at least they fix these problems at no cost, other than the time to send it in and get it back. This is always a risk when buying a new launch console.

TheExodu5

Banned
To those with bent Switches: did you modify the dock to prevent scratching.

I could see foam fillers or pads on the rails putting additional torque on the system, leading to bending.

Casanova

The console dock is bent to begin with, so one would expect over time that the foot would start to fit the slipper. If it doesn't hinder my ability to shrine dive for hours in BoTW or smash friends in Mariokart later this month then I don't see the big deal.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I just looked, and yeah, mine is totally fucking bent. Holy fuck...

For the record, mine sits in the dock about 95% of the time

Felensis

Banned
So I've recently discovered that mine is also bent. At least 1 - 2mm clearly visible even without a ruler. The plastic casing above and beyond USB port starts to slightly widen.

I've reached to Nintendo EU today and they told me they're aware of it, but currently are in research before they make any official announcements. For the moment he advised me to keep the unit and keep an eye on it, but he also said if I prefer it I can send my unit in. I don't want to lose my Zelda save (100hrs+), but they told me that they can transfer it as long as the console is fully functional.

Now I'm thinking about sending it in. Compared my unit to those of friends and they either aren't bent or just veeeeery slightly, barely visible. Also everything of their cases around the USB port is perfectly straight.

Pics

img_05803pzxx.jpg

img_056945u52.jpg

ggx2ac

I've reached to Nintendo EU today and they told me they're aware of it, but currently are in research before they make any official announcements. For the moment he advised me to keep the unit and keep an eye on it, but he also said if I prefer it I can send my unit in. I don't want to lose my Zelda save (100hrs+), but they told me that they can transfer it as long as the console is fully functional.

Now I'm thinking about sending it in. Compared my unit to those of friends and they either aren't bent or just veeeeery slightly, barely visible. Also everything of their cases around the USB port is perfectly straight.

I wouldn't be surprised if they find out there's no warping while playing Zelda docked and that it's just to do with the manufacturing as explained a page or two back.

Send it in to them if you want to.

Venfayth

Defending this is a bad look. I have no idea why people will defend Nintendo over things that aren't good for anybody. Why are you doing it?

Do you think Nintendos feelings are hurt? Are you personally offended that people are unhappy with Nintendo?

It's only better for everyone who buys Nintendo products if we call them out on their poor QA and demand a higher standard. Nintendo is a corporation whose legal responsibility is to make money. They won't change unless given a reason to change. Trying to quiet the volume of people complaining actually makes it less likely that Nintendo will care.

Felensis

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if they find out there's no warping while playing Zelda docked and that it's just to do with the manufacturing as explained a page or two back.

Send it in to them if you want to.

Me, too thinks that this isn't related to playing in docked mode since I couldn't explaint to myself how this could even happen from a physical point of view. So I think that must be happened during manufacturing somehow.

spekkeh

Banned
Defending this is a bad look. I have no idea why people will defend Nintendo over things that aren't good for anybody. Why are you doing it?

Do you think Nintendos feelings are hurt? Are you personally offended that people are unhappy with Nintendo?

It's only better for everyone who buys Nintendo products if we call them out on their poor QA and demand a higher standard. Nintendo is a corporation whose legal responsibility is to make money. They won't change unless given a reason to change. Trying to quiet the volume of people complaining actually makes it less likely that Nintendo will care.

Or I just don't particularly expect laser accuracy on a $300 piece of plastic, and think it's a bit ridiculous to get a tizzy fit over something you wouldn't notice if others weren't getting worked up about it. Sure I'd like to be able to put a ruler to it and not have a 1-2mm deviation, but not if all consoles would cost $350 as a result. To me these 'nonsense complaints' lessen the actual problems, like joycon connectivity and bent docks.

Venfayth

Or I just don't particularly expect laser accuracy on a $300 piece of plastic, and think it's a bit ridiculous to get a tizzy fit over something you wouldn't notice if others weren't getting worked up about it. Sure I'd like to be able to put a ruler to it and not have a 1-2mm deviation, but not if all consoles would cost $350 as a result. To me these 'nonsense complaints' lessen the actual problems, like joycon connectivity and bent docks.

Come on, a bent product (even if by a few mm) is a nonsense complaint? People care about aesthetics, they care about something they spend a lot of money on being high quality.

Trying to diminish it by saying it's a $300 "piece of plastic" is really weird, do you think Nintendo or any of its fans see it as such? When people design products a lot of thought and care (typically) goes into that and I assume Nintendo is the same, thus I assume they care when people notice that their product is bent.

The last thing I'll say is that people often come into complaint threads saying stuff like you did here:

"think it's a bit ridiculous to get a tizzy fit over something you wouldn't notice if others weren't getting worked up about it"

My problem with this is that it's all concerned about tone, which is impossible to get right on the internet. Even when people are just complaining or criticizing about a minor problem it's often construed as them being outrage, or as you put it, in a tizzy fit. Why are all complaints and criticisms perceived this way? It is possible to have a minor level of dissatisfaction compared to those larger issues you correctly highlighted. That doesn't mean we have to completely shut up about it. Problems will naturally sort themselves by order of magnitude as long as people don't try and shut conversations down.

FX-GMC

Come on, a bent product (even if by a few mm) is a nonsense complaint? People care about aesthetics, they care about something they spend a lot of money on being high quality.

Trying to diminish it by saying it's a $300 "piece of plastic" is really weird, do you think Nintendo or any of its fans see it as such? When people design products a lot of thought and care (typically) goes into that and I assume Nintendo is the same, thus I assume they care when people notice that their product is bent.

My Father worked in the auto industry for 35 years. They had these things called tolerances. Say for gaps in the panels there are tolerances. Not all gaps had to be the same measure. Some wider, some smaller, as long as they were within spec.

Those vehicles cost anywhere from $30,000 - $80,000.

Yes a few mm is a nonsense complaint for a $300 piece of plastic as much as a 1-2mm gap between panels is a nonsense complaint on a $30,000 car.

Expectations run foul around here.

My Father worked in the auto industry for 35 years. They had these things called tolerances. Say for gaps in the panels there are tolerances. Not all gaps had to be the same measure. Some wider, some smaller, as long as they were within spec.

Yes a few mm is a nonsense complaint for a $300 piece of plastic as much as a 1-2mm gap between panels is a nonsense complaint on a $30,000 car.

This is beyond apples and oranges. Consumers have a reasonable expectation for unbent handhelds when Nintendo has been making solid handhelds for over 20 years as far as shape is concerned. There are no reason for consumers to expect differently for this handheld so they should complain if they desire. It's expectation based on precedent.

spekkeh

Banned
This is beyond apples and oranges. Consumers have a reasonable expectation for unbent handhelds when Nintendo has been making solid handhelds for over 20 years as far as shape is concerned. There are no reason for consumers to expect differently for this handheld so they should complain if they desire. It's expectation based on precedent.
You sure the previous handhelds didn't have tolerances of a millimeter?

FX-GMC

Tolerances in manufacturing are tolerances in manufacturing.

My wobbly 3ds screen would like to tell you that it wasn't solid even on day 1. Try harder.

Link_enfant

My wobbly 3ds screen would like to tell you that it wasn't solid even on day 1. Try harder.

I guess you're talking about the hinge right?
As far as I know this is done on purpose, it's almost always a little bit loose (of course more or less depending on the units and series) to prevent it from breaking even in case of "intense" use.
First series of white DS Lite - at least in Europe - had a very tight hinge. It could felt nice at first, but after a few years/months they were all broken because of that, even if you almost didn't use it.

TheFuzz

How the hell are some of you seeing a "clearly visible bend, about 1mm, even without a ruler?"

ITS A FRIGGIN MILLIMETER.

Honestly, though.... anyone even slightly worried is probably better off waiting until a few months pass before sending it in, right?

Isn't Nintendos hardware warranty good for one year, so you've got time anyway, right?

Venfayth

I don't think the 3DS (old 3DS and old 3DSXL - never had a New) was acceptable for a number of reasons, including build quality. Not exactly a high bar to clear.

Maybe so many people accepting it is why Nintendo now feels comfortable releasing a handheld with a bend in it?

I'd certainly love to know what they think about it, but for me personally a visible bend is pretty disappointing.

//DEVIL//

I just checked mine,from the front there is no bending using the ruler . However I noticed since day one that the back (from the middle) there is a a lil extra hump that I assumed it's for the air and the fan of the console. You can actually even press on it to straight it up before it goes back up again so I figured it's normal. But in theory I do not have any bent from either sides Thank God and I played around 2 hours of Zelda in dock mode .

ggx2ac

I just checked mine,from the front there is no bending using the ruler . However I noticed since day one that the back (from the middle) there is a a lil extra hump that I assumed it's for the air and the fan of the console. You can actually even press on it to straight it up before it goes back up again so I figured it's normal. But in theory I do not have any bent from either sides Thank God and I played around 2 hours of Zelda in dock mode .

It's not from operational use, some Switch units were affected due to manufacturing but were let through quality control because they still function.

It only becomes a cosmetic issue for the people that own them.

TheFuzz

People need to look at the picture with the iPad cover and the Switch; that's a big problem.

Taking a ruler or anything to determine its not 100% flat or off by a millimeter is silly. Plastic, by nature, I malleable. It's not metal.

If you never noticed it before reading a thread or article about it, it's a non-issue.

tsumineko

People need to look at the picture with the iPad cover and the Switch; that's a big problem.

Taking a ruler or anything to determine its not 100% flat or off by a millimeter is silly. Plastic, by nature, I malleable. It's not metal.

If you never noticed it before reading a thread or article about it, it's a non-issue.

Come on... I'm a Switch owner, and love it, and Nintendo to bits, but I can't see why anyone would argue that bend defects are totally fine. How? What do you get out of defending it? It's perfectly okay to be upset with any and all defects the Switch has had since launch. Get it fixed, move on and enjoy your Switch, I'm sure that's what everyone is looking forward to.

Laekon

Great reference. US and UK made cars had tolerances that lead to a horrible image of quality and companies going bankrupt or being bought by formerly smaller companies that focused on quality. Was it Lexus or Infinity that had the commercial of the bearing rolling down the perfect gaps in their body panels? Mass produced products in 2017 shouldn't have issue like this. It's either poor engineering or vendors not using the same material as in test units to try and increase their margin. This isn't a one off hand crafted product so people are going to care.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Nope. Got my Neon on Sunday and looks pretty straight to me. Infact the only thing wrong with it was the left joy con which has been sent in for repair. Let me say thay I am very fussy when it comes to the conditon of my electronics. If I'm spending hundreds or thousands of pounds on something then I won't hesitate using the warranty to get it fixed/replaced or use my consumer rights to get a full refund. If it had anything wrong with it then it'd have been sent straight back to Amazon or Nintendo on Monday morning and that's exactly what I did with the joy con. I am happy with the build quality of my Switch.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So one thing I noticed, the actual Switch logo on the back of my system has a bit of a horizontal scratch to it, and it's only in that spot. Likely from the dock I'd imagine. If my system is bent, that would definitely do it, right?

Felensis

Banned
I can't believe people in here try to justify such bent Switch consoles because of a tolerance factor lol

Based on my experience with smartphones and tablets (and I had a LOT of them since 2007 from different manufacturers) there was not one device that was bent. Also what about the #bendgate from Apple? No one wants to have bent devices or to have to tolerate them.

In my case I already said that my Switch's bent case is easily visible without holding a ruler onto it. This is simply not acceptable and if you wouldn't care for such a fault even though you've spend 330 bucks for it than it's your thing. Others apparently are not fine with a bent Switch and that's perfectly fine IMHO.

spekkeh

Banned
Actually apart from smartphones being a lot smaller than your Switch, the early ones had a bunch of creases that over time would attract sand and dust everywhere. It's only some four, five years ago that they started touting metal smartphones with laser precision finishes. If you expect this from a Switch, I can definitely understand your disappointment. Of course those things are 700-1000 pop and less powerful than Switch.

Seik

Banned
I can't believe people in here try to justify such bent Switch consoles because of a tolerance factor lol

Based on my experience with smartphones and tablets (and I had a LOT of them since 2007 from different manufacturers) there was not one device that was bent. Also what about the #bendgate from Apple? No one wants to have bent devices or to have to tolerate them.

In my case I already said that my Switch's bent case is easily visible without holding a ruler onto it. This is simply not acceptable and if you wouldn't care for such a fault even though you've spend 330 bucks for it than it's your thing. Others apparently are not fine with a bent Switch and that's perfectly fine IMHO.

Did you call Nintendo to return yours? They accept returns for this, I'm sure they'll change your Switch free of charge.

Felensis

Banned
Did you call Nintendo to return yours? They accept returns for this, I'm sure they'll change your Switch free of charge.

Yes, I've called Nintendo and will return my Switch the next days. Hopefully it won't take longer than a week. I need my daily Switch dose *_*

Ripenen

Does the bend negatively affect your ability to use the product? Is the bend continuing to get worse over time?

Top Bottom