• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else's Switch... bent?

th4tguy

That'd take some special kind of 6 year old sister to so carefully heat and warp the system like this. Sitting on or forcing it will damage the system, not warp it.

Also, not sure why people are sending theirs in for "repairs" right now; there's nothing stopping it from happening again.
Your warrant starts over from the repair date. You get a system repaired at the end of your warranty year and it resets giving you another year.

phant0m

I feel like I lucked out so far on Switch. Picked one up on launch day with no pre-order, no joy con problems, systems not bent, no wifi issues, and no scratches without using a screen protector.

Same. But sometimes I think people treat their things poorly or just like to make drama.

Thread made me paranoid so I just checked mine. Launch unit with 50+ hours of Zelda according to my Switch, and I've primarily been playing docked. Luckily no bend in my unit. My dock is slightly bent though.

I cannot tell if it were bent from the get go; or if it became like that. I treat my products pristinely and have used it less in handheld, because I don't want hand oils to ruin the joycon finish or weaken the rails.

So I use the pro controller.

Though I traditionally love handheld gaming and Switch as a portable.

I have a glass screen protector on it as well.

I have noticed, when Zelda is playing and I have undocked it, the Switch is quite warm.

It's bent upward ever so slightly only on the right side, is this heat related?

And to the people thinking this is people being hard with their system:

Fuck you.

I keep it docked, in the Zelda SE case and won't let others play it - because again OCD, they may loosen an analog stick or rough it up.

///PATRIOT

Banned
I wonder if i should ruler test mine.

ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

:)

Dynheart

Banned
Being familiar with the plastication process, I can say with 100% certainty that this came out of the box. With these being bent, 1 of 2 things occurred.

1) The mixture during the fill process was off, causing issues during the cooling process. This causes integrity issues like thin zones, brittle areas etc. The casing seems to be fine, however, so outside of a few cases I do not think this would be the case.

2) The cooling process itself. If the manufacturer hastens the cooling process, and does not allow for the casing to set before ejection, the productiwill most likely warp. During my time in the plastication industry there were Q&A tests for these type of things. So I'm guessing these meet the manufactures, and Nintendo's, specifications for retail.

EDIT: To add, I'm sure the Switch casing was given a hardener during the fill process. So while it probably takes around 700 degrees initially to melt, it will take much more than that to break down once bonded together after cooling. Likely scenario is that the case would burn (wouldn't melt) due to the additive. I highly doubt the Switch get's that hot. So the dock some how molding it as the player is playing is very highly unlikely. I would go as far as to say impossible. 100% straight out of the box. If the plastic was that pliable while warm, I'm sure there would be finger indention's in the back of the Switch.

bomblord1

Banned
PS4 launch controllers had issues with the analog rubbing off. Issue with the system turning into a jet engine. Issues with the Blu Ray drive as well.

XB1 had issues with the Blu Ray drive. There was a mandatory day 1 patch, otherwise the system wouldn't work. Bumpers on controller were a nightmare. Controllers started to creak after a short time.

Dont forget about the HDMI outputs being unusable on several launch PS4's

Timeaisis

So...for people with bent Switches...it probably was bent out of the box, right?

I mean what could warp it that much while playing? Especially if it's docked most of the time.

TheExodu5

Banned
Absolutely no indications of it being bent...seems perfectly flat.

No joycon issues, and no scratches on my screen from the first week of unprotective use.

Kevdo

Not to say that a slightly warped switch is okay, but why are people so sure that it didn't start that way? Did they measure it out as soon as it came out of the box and notice that it was straight?

I don't think people did that. My money's on they came slightly bent and just nobody noticed because who looks for that?

Skyzard

Banned
I was going to say how did this guy not notice it come from the factory like this:

qnM4Nle.png

But I guess it's possible most don't realise. Looking at it again, it's not THAT obvious.

senj

So...for people with bent Switches...it probably was bent out of the box, right?

I mean what could warp it that much while playing? Especially if it's docked most of the time.

It almost has to be out-of-the-box.This thing doesn't get nearly hot enough to start making the plastic and metal in the shell malleable. If it got hot enough to do that the battery would almost certainly blow.

Raitaro

No, don't tell me there's yet another issue to check for...sigh...

I love my Switch but this is getting a bit ridiculous.

I'll check later today as well.

Dynheart

Banned
I'm trying to tell you guys that it's a non issue. It's just purely cosmetic (although depending on the severity, it may contribute to the scratched screens) . Look at any piece of plastic and it will have some type if warping, flashing, expanding etc. As long as they function, Nintendo and the manufacture will pass it (and company will) through their Q&A process. The only thing that is not acceptable is a failed integrity test.

Flashing can be manually removed, and I'm sure they have plenty of people for just that. Warping and expanding product, their machines and dies, I'm sure, compensate for these variations in the molding process. Although there is a limit as to what is acceptable.

I can guarantee that this is a byproduct of trying to meet demand. Fast cooling times, possibly improper filling process, and not letting the product set in a proper environment can cause problems. In this case, I'm sure they are cutting corners on the cooling process to meet demand.

gundalf

Bending Switch consoles are to be expected since it is build to be used by children and thus have high mechanical tolerances. Yeah it looks cheap but it isn't.

krumble

Both the PS4 and Xbox One had nearly perfect launches, I can't recall a single launch hardware problem with either. It's entirely reasonable for people to want their $300 device to not bend or scratch.

Really? The Xbox Ones that couldn't even read disks that Xmas, even nongamers heard about that one and joked about it
People have very short memories

Lucifon

I'd like to see if there is a correlation between this and scratches from docking the unit.
I would also. Personally I believe those who have slightly bent ones have always had said bend they've just only noticed. I really doubt this thing is getting that hot that it's bending without any pressure. Personally my switch gets warm in the dock but nowhere near bend levels of warm.

icespide

Banned
I'd like to see if there is a correlation between this and scratches from docking the unit.

combo of slightly bent Switch units and also varying amounts of bend on Docks probably leads to different probabilities of scratches.

my switch got scratched the dock for what its worth

No bendo and I play docked too will keep an eye but I guess it's not related to docked play and those that are bent came that way.

Timeaisis

Interesting note, my left joycon is also a little wobbly when I'm playing in handheld mode. Not like going to fall off wobbly, just noticeably looser than the right one. I've got a neon, fwiw.

It doesn't really bother me that much, but at first I thought it was a defect. Now that I see more people mention it, it just seems like that's how it is.

Seems like a first wave manufacturing quirk from launch molds. People find a slight offangle in an out of the box Switch while others seem to find them perfectly straight.

LCD panel lottery, bent dock lottery, left joy con, and now bent frame. I'm picking mine up this fall for mario, but I hope I haven't used up all my rng luck in gacha games.

Lorcain

LCD panel lottery, bent dock lottery, left joy con, and now bent frame. I'm picking mine up this fall for mario, but I hope I haven't used up all my rng luck in gacha games.
You know you just jinxed yourself to have all of those issues, right?
I bought 2 on launch day and thankfully have had none of those issues.

Blam

Apparently this is a problem with a lot of the people who are charging their switches while playing them. Not using the dock but with another charger.

VanWinkle

Apparently this is a problem with a lot of the people who are charging their switches while playing them. Not using the dock but with another charger.

That's not the case for mine. Have never charged it outside of the dock. I can't see how they could possibly warp it.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

So... the system is effectively melting?

Edit: my Switch is perfectly straight and all four of my joy-cons are rock solid. Dock is very slightly bent, but it's never made a mark on my screen.

angelic

Banned
There is no way I am purchasing this messed up machine, in years to come this will be looked at the same as the fat DS.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Mine seems completely straight, idk.

But also if your console is so slightly warped that you didn't even notice until you saw this thread and got a ruler out... who gives a shit?

JaseMath

There is no way I am purchasing this messed up machine, in years to come this will be looked at the same as the fat DS.
Will it? Industrial design isn't the issue here whereas the DS Fat was an eyesore to everyone. The Switch has, by and large, gotten plenty of kudos for how substantial it looks (and feels).

PeterGAF

Banned
Mine seems completely straight, idk.

But also if your console is so slightly warped that you didn't even notice until you saw this thread and got a ruler out... who gives a shit?
When you spend $300 on something it's not unreasonable to expect it to be built correctly

mlclmtckr

Banned
When you spend $300 on something it's not unreasonable to expect it to be built correctly

Right but is it built 'incorrectly' if it seems perfect to the naked eye and functions as intended?

I mean what is the actual negative impact of this other than bothering people who take the time to test their console with a ruler after reading a thread about it on a message board?

Top Bottom