• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is buying a PS5 day one a reasonable course of action? I am debating this ...

Nickolaidas

First of all, I intend my PS5 to fully replace my PS4 Pro. I do not want both consoles taking space in my room.

Also, three of the games I really want to play on my PS5 are not released until late 2021/early 2022 - Demon's Souls, Resident Evil 8 and Horizon Forbidden West.

So with my top 3 requested games coming 12-20 months down the line, and with Backwards Compatibility not fully integrated on Day One ... is buying a PS5 a good idea for me?

On the other hand, what happens if I change my mind but all stores in my country will be out of stock and I'll have to wait 2-4 months to get a PS5?

The very definition of first world problems, right here.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
There's nothing "reasonable" in buying a gaming console, even more so debating buying it when you don't even know the price.

It's a luxury, hence the simple equation when they announce the price is: Will it make me happy? Can I comfortably afford it? If the answer is yes to both questions is yes, buy it.

Incidentally:

Backwards Compatibility not fully integrated on Day One

No one ever said this.

Last edited:

Pizdetz

Banned
I'd say save your money. Even with the pandemic they'll likely have reasonable stock mid year 2021. They'll likely also be a deal with a bundled game or two, buy it then.
I'd only buy a console day 1 if it played all current gen games at noticeably better settings OR there were at least 1 or 2 next gen games I was interested coming out at launch.
PS5 has neither of those things for now.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
There's nothing "reasonable" in buying a gaming console.

This.... and only for Demons souls remake and Cyberpunk 2077 i will get this console.

But no... i prefer go to travel weekend to Cancun beach.

Spiderman could be a game to consider, but I dislike the fact that peter parker is not in the game.

Ratchet and Clank are not day one games.

If it was a Gravity rush game,i will buy it immediately.

Last edited:

PrimeTime

I will not be an early adopter of anything anymore-there’s no benefit. We all think product launches will go without a hitch but inevitably there will be hardware defects, os issues, game delays, etc etc. I prefer to wait a year to 2 and let all that crap get resolved...

cireza

So with my top 3 requested games coming 12-20 months down the line, and with Backwards Compatibility not fully integrated on Day One ... is buying a PS5 a good idea for me?
Looks like waiting would be a good option.

On the other hand, what happens if I change my mind but all stores in my country will be out of stock and I'll have to wait 2-4 months to get a PS5?
Waiting 2 or 4 months isn't a problem, this in only an entertainment device.

Last edited:

ksdixon

I mean... I'd really like those SpiderMan 15 secs > 0.8 secs loading time increases, or something like them. Some games this gen are horrendus.

But I've not seen a definitive answer if all PS4 games played on PS5 will jsut work that way because they're running off an SSD accessing data in a faster way; or if individual devs are going to have to put out a patch to make them load faster when run on a PS5.

Genx3

If you have the expendable income go for it.
If you have to stretch yourself financially, just wait until you're in a better place financially. Maybe they'll be a price drop by then or a more efficient model.

Bryank75

Banned
First of all, I intend my PS5 to fully replace my PS4 Pro. I do not want both consoles taking space in my room.

Also, three of the games I really want to play on my PS5 are not released until late 2021/early 2022 - Demon's Souls, Resident Evil 8 and Horizon Forbidden West.

You'll need to get a pre-order... if you are trading in, I'd do it very soon or you will not get much.
I am buying 2 at launch and I expect there to be very little stock for the first 6 - 9 months at least, maybe longer. Some of the Gamestops in Ireland already have nearly a hundred pre-orders for a single store and we do not even have a price yet.

BC will be there at launch but some of the less played PS4 games might not be tested yet.... think Mad Max and AA games etc.

If you have the money to comfortably buy it, there is no reason not to.... you potentially get 7 years or more entertainment out of it and you have a warranty for a year or so.....

Remember there are 27 million views on the English PlayStation 5 reveal alone.... there will only be 6.5 million PS5's for the first 6 months or so.

Last edited:
I mean, you could always just sell it if it turns out you don't like it. Getting someone to take it off your hands in the months after launch won't be hard at all, and if it ends up flying off the shelves like the PS4 you might even make a profit. I sold my launch PS4 for 200 Euros more than I paid for it a week after I got it.

Nickolaidas

I mean, you could always just sell it if it turns out you don't like it.

There's no chance I won't like it. It's already my favourite PS console based on what I've seen and heard.

My problem is that the PS5 will most likely won't be backwards compatible with every single PS4 game *Day one*. Which means that, if I'm playing, say, Lords of the Fallen and it doesn't play on a PS5, I'm forced to have my PS4 connected to my TV as well as my PS5. Not to mention the hassle of saved games being different in each console from the moment I'll be gaming on both of them.

At this point, I don't care about enhanced versions of PS4 games running on PS5, as much as I care about ALL PS4 games running on PS5, even on 'PS4' settings.

Bryank75

Banned
There's no chance I won't like it. It's already my favourite PS console based on what I've seen and heard.

My problem is that the PS5 will most likely won't be backwards compatible with every single PS4 game *Day one*. Which means that, if I'm playing, say, Lords of the Fallen and it doesn't play on a PS5, I'm forced to have my PS4 connected to my TV as well as my PS5. Not to mention the hassle of saved games being different in each console from the moment I'll be gaming on both of them.

At this point, I don't care about enhanced versions of PS4 games running on PS5, as much as I care about ALL PS4 games running on PS5, even on 'PS4' settings.
It will probably August to hear something on that.... just my guess.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm not buying a PS5 at launch because

there aren't enough exclusives to justify buying it. So far only Demons Souls + Horizon 2. With only two games it's in the territory of "eh if I need to wait or never get to play them then fine". Maybe if there were another 2-3 games then I might be tempted to pick it up. If they want to convince me to keep it then need more exclusives lined up.

Not only is there a lack of exclusives that interest me ... I don't know when they'll launch. No point buying a console until I can buy the games.

I'll get a PS5 when I can buy and play 4-5 exclusives with promise of some more down the line.

If that's launch then I'll get it at launch. If it's late 2021 then that's when I'll get it. If it's 2022 then that's the point I'll probably just hold off for a price drop/slim revision.

Backwards compatibility is nice but I'll just keep hold of my PS4 to play the 1 or 2 games I've still to play.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Pre-ordering/buying day one and waiting all comes down to two things -

Do you have the money to not only buy the PlayStation 5 but also a high end 60HZ+ 4K HDR TV or OLED? If the answer is no to either, then I would suggest waiting. If you already have the TV then it simply depends on if you want to wait or not.

Resident Evil 8 is definitely 2021 while Demon's Souls Remake is 50/50 for 2021. As for Horizon 2, I believe early 2022 is the safer bet. It will probably get a Fall 2021 release date and then get delayed seeing as how Sony has delayed nearly every major exclusive for PS4 throughout the entire generation. I'm expecting them to do the same with PlayStation 5 exclusives.

My suggestion for you would be to wait. You won't lose anything by waiting. Plus, it will allow you to save up extra money for when you do buy the console. And even if you change your mind and want to buy it at launch, if the games you want the most are nowhere to be found, why would you? It would just sit there collecting dust. So again, my suggestion would be to wait.

nush

Gold Member

Just wait until the games you want are actually available AND review well. At which pointg you'll have a bigger liabary, bundled games, price drop AND internal hardware revisions to correct problems. There is no way on earth you'll be waiting 2-4 months to get one at that point.

SleepDoctor

Banned
It went from day one to being on the fence about just waiting for some games to release.

Nothing shown thus far is a must have day one imo. Then you got a 825gb storage which will fill up fast.

I would probably lock in a pre-order once they open and then you can think on your final decision all the way up till release day. Most likely what I'll do.

Yoda

Launch exclusives tend to suck, maybe that'll be different this time, but generally it'll take a bit to get some solid titles on the new system.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 has real meat to it a lot of people will be there day 1, Japan gets their hands on it first

Ar¢tos

I have a similar dilemma.
At launch I'm only interested in Astro Bot and Sackboy (it's probably a launch game), i can see myself playing Godfall, but there is no rush for that.
What I really want is Demon's Souls.
So my choices are, get one at launch to play 2 games + crossgen games, or wait for Demon's Souls and there is a chance they will do a limited edition (prettier than the original) for DeS.
I'm inclined to wait for DeS and I hope they do a limited DeS version.

Guilty_AI

Don't buy consoles day one. Period.
They're ultra expensive, have little to no good games and can suffer from unforeseen hardware issues.

Mista

Banned
Why shouldn't it be reasonable? You're free to do what you want with your money

I'll be getting the digital version day one. Can someone come and tell me its "unreasonable"?

Of course not, its none of anybody business what I do with my money. I bought the Vita for just one game years ago.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m Day 1. I typically try and get Day 1. I have been saving up for it each month for about a year now.

If you want it then enjoy. There’s going to be pros and cons about everything.

I got my PS4 at midnight on launch and I’m going to play Ghost of Tsushima on it. It was totally worth it.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I'm potentially day 1. The only thing holding me back is I'm not sure how glitchy BC is going to be. The only game I play is R6 Siege and if it isn't a perfect BC then I will wait. I have 3.5k hours on my account and I can't afford for my save to get corrupted or something like that.

Last edited:
If the games you want to play aren't going to be available until at least a year after release I don't see why you should buy one on release. I don't intend on getting one until there is at least 3 games I want on it. Also, if you don't intend on keeping your PS4 Pro, just make sure the games you have/want for PS4 will be backward compatible first. No reason to enter the new generation in a hurry.

I'm keeping my Pro and replacing my stock PS4 with the PS5, provided the behemoth will fit into my entertainment center. I'm looking forward to having it and the XseX right next to each other to see if together their combined mass can collapse my floor! 🤦‍♂️😅

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Yes, you can play thousands of PS4 games on day 1.

I'm getting one day 1, $500 or $600 is nothing for a device you use for +5 years

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Since you will not play anything exclusive for the console, wait a little because early consoles usually has hardware problems

Rikkori

Yes, you're going to buy one anyway. Enjoy the new hardware ;) You should be more worried you won't find one at release.

Reactions: Isa

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Personally I sold my PS4 around a couple of months back and hence will have a few PS4 games (Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima) to play when PS5 launches. Hopefully these games will be enhanced and maybe it will launch with Spiderman or Ratchet etc so I will have those too. In any case, it does look like I might have at least 5-6 games to play on Day one so I do plan to buy it day one.
But yeah, if the BC sucks Day one then I will have to rethink.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned

Humm, i have thoughts about a day one purchase too.

I have a ps4 pro to.

My back log is huge, i have not even played the last two assassins creed games or the last spider man or days gone for that matter. Besides those i still have another 10 games in reserve that need playing too.

Do i buy a new ps5 to take advanage of all the reduced loads times etc, that's a tick there.

However, what about a console refresh, how long do we normally have to wait before they improve something technical in the design. will that be 6 months or 3 years, its something that i think about.

Lastly, what about custom consoles, if there is going to be say a horizon zero dawn or Demon souls custom console with the game included for a good price 6 months down the line, is it worth considering or waiting for.

All these points trouble me.

NahaNago

Me too. But I NEED to know whether or not my PS4 backlog is going to be 90% compatible on the PS5 system on day one.

90% seems a bit high starting out. I guess I'm not too stressed out over the backlog issue. My backlog is just going to grow as soon as the ps5 comes around so not being able to play a couple of older games at launch won't hurt me.

Tulipanzo

Obviously it depends; I bought a PS4 on day 1, but didn't really use it consistently until later in 2014.

However, this gen feels like it will be far better straight out of the gate
- BC, with improvements via patches and no loading times (!!!)
- A much better selection of games, both at launch and in the first year
I'm using my Pro rn, and wince at any loading screens, so I'll be very happy to see them gone.

Bar disastrous hw failures, I'll get mine at launch, but I think it's safe to say you'll have more stuff to play, both old and new, much earlier.

Top Bottom