• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is buying a PS5 day one a reasonable course of action? I am debating this ...

Ridaxan

I'm hoping to be able to sell both consoles by the time I'm done with Ghost of Tsushima. This is obviously under the assumption that the PS5 will be able to play the majority of the "weekly" games in my digital library (MK11, COD, Overwatch, etc)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I think I am. I want to play PES2021 on PS5. If that is an option on day one, nothing is stopping me.

b0uncyfr0

Buying a console for just 3 games seems unreasonable to me, no matter if you can afford it.

If you strictly wanna play those 3 and they're released later, simply wait it out.

If you can wait that long, why limit yourself to a PS5? XSX might come out with something you want, either way time is on ur side if you wait.

Honestly Op, we don't have enough information and you are better off waiting. Sony has been vague about BC so if you still have PS4 games you want to play and will unplug your PS4 when you get a PS5 then that is something that you will need to wait for.

We also don't have a true picture of the PS5 launch lineup for exclusives, so again it is impossible to know whether buying day one is the right call yet

Bryank75

Banned
Buying a console at launch is the absolute worst time to buy one.

Lowest amount of exclusives at launch.
Price of the system is the highest at launch.

Best to wait till there are many exclusives that actually interest you.
Disagree, Every PlayStation launch model was excellent and very dependable... PS3 had a better and more feature rich model at launch than later models. I think PlayStation base units are always very well engineered tbh.

I won't be getting a PS5 day one, nothing exclusive coming out anytime soon, and blowing their entire load in the reveal had nothing for me to be excited about just yet.

I will be getting a Series X day one only because we know Halo is right around the corner, Forza most likely will be dropping before Xmas if not at launch and MS still has it's first Party Studio's they purchased years back that the public has not heard a peep out of yet, very excited for July. PS5 I'll pick up maybe a year after launch.

I have a feeling the Series X & PS5 for me will be just as the PS4 Pro and One X is now, i will be getting most my 3rd Party games on the technically superior Series X and will reserve my PS5 for Sony's Exclusives & PSVR.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
If it's nearly fully backwards compatible and you don't already have a UHD blu ray player (and care to have one), sure. Why not? New tech, new fun, better looking and playing games.

If you don't give a shit about any of that, then no. Why bother?

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with purchasing a new console day one, That being said it really depend upon what Sony does. Sony has removed the PS3 and Vita from the monthly PS+ , they have doubled the price of PS+ and they have disallowed any sale of digital games except through them.

If they release the PS5 with disk over $450 then I am going to stand back and wait about 18 months before I pick one up . By that time I will also be able to pick up some cheap launch titles. If the price is reasonable then I will likely buy 2 at launch as well as a few titles,

Yamakua

Neo Member
Well as history shows most consoles suck the at least 3 months. So in my opinion I would get it but I wouldnt expect it to blow things out of the water and I would expect a buggy, poorly interfaced console. But i'm sure that will clear up soon.

Gamerguy84

Oh no, I intend to get a lot of ps5 games. Those three are the ones I need day one.

BTW Sony said they expect the mojaroty of 4000 titles to be playable day 1. I dont think youll have trouble with mainstream titles.

I cant deal with a new PS console being out and me not owning it. Ive owned them all launch day including vita.

Vroadstar

Even if I was interested in buying a PS5 which I'm not because of Sony's censorship, this is why I'd wait:

- a Pro-model *will* come, no doubt about it
- it'll take a couple years before you have at least 3-4 musthave nextgen games, perfect for when above happens
- I have no doubt that this PS5 will be unacceptable loud again, its design looks anti-fan management
- speaking of which: it looks awful
- and combining some of the above: the PS5 Pro will most likely look VASTLY different, so launch-buyers will be left with the toy-PS5 while those who wait get a more simplistic, elegant looking PS5 redesign

So yeah, if I was interested in a PS5, I'd wait 2-3 more years for the Pro-redesign.

Take your FUD spreading warrior BS elsewhere.

Back on topic, to OP I think as gamers where all in that predicament one time or another when a new console is launched buying day 1 or waiting. The hard thing is when you spend time here or other forums seeing them talk about there new shining console you just have the itch to go buy one even if you plan to buy later. So for me, if you have the cash, I'll definitely buy one to scratch that next-gen itch, I'll save you a headache later of searching for one when its not available.

Ryu Kaiba

Theres going to be another event I'm guessing sometime in the fall. There's still so much info we dont know including the price, release date, console features, launch line-up etc. it's wait and see for now, but I'll be more inclined to pick it up day one if it enhances PS4 games in some way. ..Also I need it in black.
cYMnhDH.jpg

Barakov

I'm already on board with PS5 because of DS Remake and the new Ratchet and Clank. Even if it stumbles out of the gate like the PS3 did the PS5 will eventually be worth picking up because of Sony's first party content. And if they pick up more third party exclusives all the better.

As far as if it's worth picking it up day 1? The jury is still out on that. Wait till the next showing of the PS5 before making up your mind. The launch games will be the big decider on that front.

the_master

Day one is the best day to buy the new console, you get the latest tech, one day apart from the future, in your hands, and with it, all the hopes and dreams about the awesome games that will be coming.
Buy PS5 and Xsex day 1 !!!!!!

GiJoint

This time around I’m only picking one of the consoles at launch and the other a year, year and a half or so in.
This gen, specifically the second half, life stuff really kicked it up a notch and I felt overwhelmed with all the gaming tech and software I have, my backlog also grew much faster and now its ridiculous.

Things are starting to settle again and I’ll be managing it better this time around, learning to get rid of that “day one” mindset was actually much harder than I thought.

Last edited:

fybyfyby

Buying PS5 day one is better than buying PS4 day one thanks to BC with enhancements. It depends if there will be any game, which doesnt work and if this game is the game you want to play. But generaly, it is not bad decision. It depends. But even if you wait one year, price will not drop so much. But maybe you can buy some used ones, if price is your concern. For me, PS5 is day one (because of bc and PS4Pro loudness).

MastaKiiLA

If you can afford it, then yes. I will buy one as soon as I can, but I don't preorder, and don't know what availability will be like.

Type_Raver

First of all, I intend my PS5 to fully replace my PS4 Pro. I do not want both consoles taking space in my room.

Also, three of the games I really want to play on my PS5 are not released until late 2021/early 2022 - Demon's Souls, Resident Evil 8 and Horizon Forbidden West.

So with my top 3 requested games coming 12-20 months down the line, and with Backwards Compatibility not fully integrated on Day One ... is buying a PS5 a good idea for me?

On the other hand, what happens if I change my mind but all stores in my country will be out of stock and I'll have to wait 2-4 months to get a PS5?

The very definition of first world problems, right here.

If there's something your super keen to play on launch day, buy the ps5.

If you want to maximise your resale/trade value, sell the ps4 pro now (or at launch) and get the ps5.

Otherwise, wait.

Last edited:

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
io comprerò Ps5 a dayone perché non ho Ps4 pro, e ora voglio video di gioco e app 4k;

more than this I haven't bought a console since the ps4 launch

ArcaneNLSC

It can depend on a lot of factors I will state this regarding the PS4 release here in Australia. If you didn't pre order it by June or July 2013 you weren't getting one until April-May 2014 because they were sold out and with all the pre orders they had I was lucky and got mine on launch day when I pre ordered mine. So if there are some titles you are keen to play at launch and don't want them to be spoiled or have to wait 6+ months after initial launch to potentially get a console if history repeats then it might be worth the gamble.

shaddam

I bought my PS4 on day one. I will do the same with thr PS5. The console will keep its price for a year atleast, so I cant spare money by waiting. I'm not afraid of hardware failures, if it breaks the shop will just replace it

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Day one. Always.

You're not going to save any money whether you buy a PS5 in November 2020 or a year later. The price will only go down once the PS5 Slim arrives in two years. In that case I'd rather be enjoying enhanced PS4 games and nextgen PS5 games for two years for the launch price than wait two years so I can save a measly 100 euro. And let's be honest, what's 100 euro/dollar these days? I bet almost all of you spend that amount without thinking when going out during the weekend,

The only real downside to getting a console at launch is the simple fact that in the first years there are few bargains to be had. All games are full-price, there are hardly any mid-priced games.

zkorejo

I always bought the new console after 1 year of release. Except PS4.. and it died after 1.5 years. That was the first time my brand new console died on me in such a short time.

There were not even many new games on it the first year. All remastered versions and Witcher 3.

Waiting 1-2 years is always the best decision IMO.

Hunnybun

I'm getting it day one, if I can.

Spider-Man, Kena and Deathloop are all launch games (or near enough) and they all look great. I'll probably get the new FIFA and Call of Duty too.

Then there's loads of stuff slated for the first year too.

martino

day one + reasonable ?
does not compute
day one purchases are expression of passions.
Don't try to fool yourself and accept you have them.

Last edited:

engstra

BC is going to be such a deciding factor for me. They have to have digital BC right? How certain upcoming games like FIFA 21 will handle free upgrades from ps4 to ps5 doesn't bode well...

Malakhov

Banned
From my experience it's never a good idea to buy a console at launch unless you want to have the crappiest model of that console. There's always problems with the first release, I will wait a while

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
From my experience it's never a good idea to buy a console at launch unless you want to have the crappiest model of that console. There's always problems with the first release, I will wait a while

If you got the US PS3 Phat at launch, you got the best PS3 Sony ever made: 100% hw compatibility with the PS1 and PS2. My launch PS Vita had an OLED screen, something Sony removed with later revisions. I never had/have problems with my launch PS4 and Pro.

The only console that died on me was my launch Xbox 360. That was also the loudest console I've ever owned. People complain about the PS4 Pro fan noise, I guess those folks never heard the crazy noise of a 360 game running from DVD. Coming from the PS2, I couldn't believe my ears.

Malakhov

Banned
If you got the US PS3 Phat at launch, you got the best PS3 Sony ever made: 100% hw compatibility with the PS1 and PS2. My launch PS Vita had an OLED screen, something Sony removed with later revisions. I never had/have problems with my launch PS4 and Pro.

The only console that died on me was my launch Xbox 360. That was also the loudest console I've ever owned. People complain about the PS4 Pro fan noise, I guess those folks never heard the crazy noise of a 360 game running from DVD. Coming from the PS2, I couldn't believe my ears.
That's about the only exception. I had problems with almost all my consoles except Nintendo's.

I skipped the PS3, obviously 🤷

But nope, not a good idea to buy a console at launch unless you don't mind having problems

Eating breakfast knowing death is right around the corner is unreasonable. Of course getting a PS5 day one is unreasonable. :p

Embrace the absurd! :p

Seriously though, I used to be an early adopter type person, but those days ended with the PS2. Too many games in the backlog, and I'm generally just in no rush to do anything. The console will still be there later and cheaper, and with a bigger library of (again, cheaper) games.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
If it has games you want to play and you have the money sitting around. From what I have seen so far it doesn't look like it will hurt to wait a bit. Nothing seems too exciting about it just yet.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think there's reason to wait, but I don't want to.

I don't even think Sony has announced all of its launch lineup yet.

Rikoi

Never bought a console on day one. Too often I have heard of people have issues with the first models I don't wanna waste my time sending them back and waiting for it to be repaired or changed.

johntown

Banned
So far I don't plan on it. For me it depends on release games. If Demon's Souls turns into a release game I would get it day 1.

SkylineRKR

Buying a system day one is never reasonable. I had the PS4 day one and the first few months were slow going. There is risk of bugs, though my launch PS4 was fine until I got rid of it.

Expensive launch software, with the lot of them never being that great. I'm still in doubt if I do it again.

DESTROYA

I never want something that desperately that I need it day one, might even wait for a PS5 Slim .
Well see how this plays out

Personally I think if you have the funds the PS5 and Series X is worth the day one purchase, which is what I will be doing.

Being able to play optimized Ps4 and Xbone games like cyberpunk 2077 plus launch titles like Ratchet and clank, NBA 2K21 and Halo infinite has me sold.

Top Bottom