• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is buying a PS5 day one a reasonable course of action? I am debating this ...

LordOfChaos

If you think about it in terms of dollars per entertainment day, launch consoles don't actually fare any worse than waiting for the price to drop. It's more, imo, about figuring out if there's any hardware issues that are likely to manifest and deciding on that. Hopefully there's no repeats of hardware mistakes.

There's always buying it on a CC with an extended warranty too.

Great Hair

Banned
Even if I was interested in buying a PS5 which I'm not because of Sony's censorship, this is why I'd wait:

#lol bring back dem titties to Devil May Cry 5 SONY!!!1111.

- a Pro-model *will* come, no doubt about it

Sony already said, there won´t be any PRO model. A PS5 Pro with 15TFlops ain´t enough to be called "PRO", it would be just a minor upgrade. For 8K upscaling, uprendering you need at least 100% add. flops ... good luck getting a SoC with 20Tflops, when there are no desktop gpus out there, with big pcb´s the size of a human foot with such power.

- it'll take a couple years before you have at least 3-4 musthave nextgen games, perfect for when above happens

At an asking price of $500 or less, ... this is a dumb decision especially when you´re going to be able to play PS4 (most 100 played games) patched on the PS5. IF BLOOD BORNE is among them .... the PS5 will have more exclusives than the PS4 had.

- I have no doubt that this PS5 will be unacceptable loud again, its design looks anti-fan management

... have you seen on and played on it? DOES IT have heating issues? This is FUD.

- speaking of which: it looks awful (contradictory to your "no exclusives for the first 3 years", meaning that your reasoning for not buying are the LOOKS and no games ... but what if THERE ARE games?)

... it still fits inside your TV cabinet, if you so desire. The XSX is so fat, you´re forced to have it beside your TV. An ugly sore, to have a generic vertical box taking up place. And i know what im talking, im using a homethreater pc in a similar case (not as tall, but even bit wider) and it just looks bad.

- and combining some of the above: the PS5 Pro will most likely look VASTLY different, so launch-buyers will be left with the toy-PS5 while those who wait get a more simplistic, elegant looking PS5 redesign

So yeah, if I was interested in a PS5, I'd wait 2-3 more years for the Pro-redesign.

I can not wait to replay most PS4 games DAY 1 patched to 4K. Bloodborne running at 4K60 would nullify XSX for 10 years, add Demon´s Souls ... there will be enough games DAY1.

Obviously it depends; I bought a PS4 on day 1, but didn't really use it consistently until later in 2014.

However, this gen feels like it will be far better straight out of the gate
- BC, with improvements via patches and no loading times (!!!)
- A much better selection of games, both at launch and in the first year
I'm using my Pro rn, and wince at any loading screens, so I'll be very happy to see them gone.

Bar disastrous hw failures, I'll get mine at launch, but I think it's safe to say you'll have more stuff to play, both old and new, much earlier.

Agreed. My only real concern with the PS5 aside from its orbit inducing size/mass, is the paltry storage size of the stock SSD and presumably absurd cost of add-on SSD storage. My PS4 backlog is pretty good sized (tho nowhere near as ridiculously large as my Xbone backlog), so this becomes a concern if I basically can't fit my existing PS4 collection onto my new PS5 without selling my first born child.

I'm not too concerned about build quality of the launch units. If anything Sony typically produces better launch units and cheaps out on revision quality. Knock on wood.

Tulipanzo

Agreed. My only real concern with the PS5 aside from its orbit inducing size/mass, is the paltry storage size of the stock SSD and presumably absurd cost of add-on SSD storage. My PS4 backlog is pretty good sized (tho nowhere near as ridiculously large as my Xbone backlog), so this becomes a concern if I basically can't fit my existing PS4 collection onto my new PS5 without selling my first born child.

I'm not too concerned about build quality of the launch units. If anything Sony typically produces better launch units and cheaps out on revision quality. Knock on wood.
Yeah, my base PS4 from 2013 is still kicking. I've taken my measurements and PS5 will fit np (unlike the fatter XSX, funny enough).

Probably worth investing in an external HDD, but I have really fast internet and most of my collection on discs, so I'm not too bothered thankfully.
I'm getting an expansion as soon as an available card shows up though.

Top Bottom