• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Donald Duck a cannibal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Carl Barks and Don Rosa take the view that Donald and the other ducks are "actually" humans that are represented as ducks, and the same applies to the other anthropomorphic characters. In his early stories, Don Rosa did some gags involving the ducks being ducks, but he considers that to be a mistake now.
That's a very explanatory answer. Thank you.

Aselith

Why is it a bad thing for people to ask questions? Pretty sure we are all aware that it's not real.

It doesn't hurt anything, so I don't see the problem with people asking who puts air in the Batmobile's tires or the supposed diet of Donald Duck.

Well, it's a bad thing because it leads to lame crap like midochlorians or nanomachines explain everything in MGS. Creators making up terrible explanations for things because they're tired of being asked about it which ultimate derails the storytelling a bit. It's fine for fans to speculate if they want but it becomes a problem when creators feel pressed to explain it because fans keep asking.

I mean seriously people
3328775-grant-morrison.jpg

Here's better food for thought when it comes to cartoons-
http://moviepilot.com/posts/3747328

You clearly haven't met that kid that will ask ten thousand questions during a movie when they're 5 years old

Tizoc

Why is it a bad thing for people to ask questions? Pretty sure we are all aware that it's not real.
It's the issue of asking stupid questions that are superfluous.
It doesn't hurt anything, so I don't see the problem with people asking who puts air in the Batmobile's tires or the supposed diet of Donald Duck.

Because it's a stupid question that doesn't matter and doesn't result in anything meaningful.
When Disney made that cartoon, the nature of Donald's diet was not something they wanted people to think about; it was only meant to entertain.

There are cartoons that offer better thought provoking themes, one of which you can see in the link I provided if you actually bothered to click and read it.

Tizoc

You clearly haven't met that kid that will ask ten thousand questions during a movie when they're 5 years old

I find it funny that you focused on the kid part and neglected the adult part.
EDIT: to answer your question though, my nephew was like that and I just humored him. Oh it was irritating but he's over that silly phase.

Kas

We used to have a parrot who loved chicken. Pretty sure it made him a cannibal, so I guess it does for Donald.

18-Volt

I remember Don Rosa once said everybody in Mouse and Duck universe are actually people but have animal characteristics. There are people in both universes that don't represent any specific animal, looks like a human but round black nose and floppy ears.

That still doesn't explain why Donald doesn't wear any pants.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
A little kid asked their parent and me, how come that Goofy, who we explained was a dog, can have a pet dog (Pluto). We were 100% stumped, and gave it our best to explain that it's a different kind of dog because... one can speak! (Which of course just brought more questions that could not be realistically answered)

So yeah that picture of the guy explaining that kids "just get it" can go to hell.

*edit* I wish I could have offered that Don Rosa's answer instead...

PSqueak

Banned
NqKxsEU.png

Really wish i could have found this one faster so i could plea to not have the one above posted in this thread.

Richie

We're all a bunch of talkative mammals and no one thinks it cannibalism to munch on hamburgers...

Much like cows in our world, turkeys in the Donaldverse aren't anthropomorphic.

Greddleok

Isn't he eating turkey? A duck eating turkey is not cannibalism. Just like a human eating a chimpanzee isn't cannibalism.

lol I remember Bill Burr pointing this out in one of his podcasts about those Lay's commercials when mister and misses potatohead sneak off to go eat some chips.

Because it's a stupid question that doesn't matter and doesn't result in anything meaningful.
When Disney made that cartoon, the nature of Donald's diet was not something they wanted people to think about; it was only meant to entertain.

There are cartoons that offer better thought provoking themes, one of which you can see in the link I provided if you actually bothered to click and read it.

You are assuming the aim is to be thought provoking and seek something meaningful. Asking dumb questions and coming up with dumb answers could be fun methods to pass the time.

It's not really something to seriously think about; it was only meant to entertain oneself.

Richie

You are assuming the aim is to be thought provoking and seek something meaningful. Asking dumb questions and coming up with dumb answers could be fun methods to pass the time.

It's not really something to seriously think about; it was only meant to entertain oneself.

"Please, do not prevent others from finally bringing attention to my nephew's disgusting cannibalism vice"

PSqueak

Banned
Wait it's the real George Takei?? Wow lol all this time I thought it was a fake or parody account or something. Mind = blown.

IS likely an intern, but it's the official George Takei account, you should see the official tumblr, posts nothing of clickbaity articles like this.

CNCOMICS

The ol' evolution theory is what I've been sticking with since a kid. Just look at the relationship between humans and primates; there are some humans that eat primates, but we would never say that's cannibalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom