• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Duck is 81 years old today. Let's talk about his cartoons and comics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

Carl_Barks_Duck_family_portrait.jpg

Happy birthday to my favorite character of all time! Quacking since 1934 and still a worldwide beloved duck after all these decades.

You may remember him from the classic shorts, many great moments there! Including of course his legendary short temper, trolling Mickey Mouse to no end, matching wits with his nephews at Halloween or snow fights, daily battles against Chip n' Dale, or being forced to serve Hitler in the one Oscar winning short of his career! That's just some well known examples, but there's so much more goodness through all of his cartoons. Also, how about that theme song?

And what about the comics? Bless Carl Barks, whom we owe the creation of Scrooge McDuck, the Beagle Boys, Gladstone Gander, Gyro Gearloose, Magica De Spell...The fondly remembered DuckTales wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the genius of this man. The Donald of his comics may as well be a totally different character from the duck in the cartoons; he's a true everyman, possibly one of the most versatile and multifaceted characters out there, and Barks made him star in hundreds of comics that hold up beautifully to this day.

Fantagraphics is currently releasing compilations of Barks' work, alongside volumes of much celebrated Duck author Don Rosa, also responsible for plenty of Duck goodness.

tumblr_lsuy99ZrMD1qidrtmo1_1280.jpg

It's been 81 years. With Kingdom Hearts 3 coming, his appearances in the new Mickey Mouse cartoons, comics starring him showing absolutely no sign of stopping, and those news of he becoming a main character in the upcoming DuckTales reboot, Donald indeed laughs in the face of death. A resounding Happy Birthday, Don!

B.K.

I haven't seen a Disney cartoon short since they quit airing them on the Disney Channel in the mid 90s. I would love to see some of them again. I wish the Treasures DVDs weren't so rare and expensive. Disney Channel really needs to do a retro block for the old cartoons.

Ahasverus

The best thing about Donald is that he brought us Scrooge which is a simply wonderful character with a delightful history for the Ages.

Dicknald is my shit tho.

Best theme song
Best cartoons
Best cameos (chip and dale cartoons)
Best comics
Best spinoffs (Ducktales)

Yep Donald is definitely GOAT duck.

frontovik

Banned
Donald is my favourite Disney character; which is the reason why I bought his plush during a trip to Disneyland a decade ago. Donald is the GOAT Duck.

walt-disney-treasures-on-the-front-lines--20040517064638931.jpg

Donald has always been my favorite Disney character. I swear in the old cartoons he would curse sometimes, but it was obscured by his Donald voice. "Little bastards", things like that.

hpkomic

Neo Member
Donald is a legend. Love that duck.

His scene with Daffy in Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of the most brilliant bits of cinema ever.

Donald was chosen by Botafogo FR (one of the most traditional football teams from Brazil) supporters as one of the club's mascot:

BFR%2BGlorioso.jpg

Pato-Donald-Botafogo.png

Kanyon

Donald is the best, he reminds me so much of myself as I have a similar short fuse and fly off the handle when things go wrong.

I think my favourite cartoon of his was the one where he argued with Pete about their fence and it slowly escalates, can't remember the name of it but just loved his petty vindictiveness in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom