• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Duck is 81 years old today. Let's talk about his cartoons and comics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same in Finland. And we had the first issue in December of 1951.

Brazil had it on July 1950.

revista+o+pato+donald+n+1+vendo+urgente+sao+paulo+sp+brasil__199018_1.jpg

I free up reading its comics, Love Barks.

Is there some kind of consensus toward which comics are the all time best to read? I don't remember much from my childhood and would like to track down some nowadays to actually get into :)

Love me some Donald Duck. I have three out of the four Walt Disney Treasures - The Chronological Donald volumes. The last one I need is really expensive on eBay and Amazon...just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Is there some kind of consensus toward which comics are the all time best to read? I don't remember much from my childhood and would like to track down some nowadays to actually get into :)

Barks and Rosa. No question about it. Just about any collection from either one of them would do.

My absolute favourite is The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa, but that is, as the title says, about uncle Scrooge and not Donald.

despire

Barks and Rosa. No question about it. Just about any collection from either one of them would do.

My absolute favourite is The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa, but that is, as the title says, about uncle Scrooge and not Donald.

Scrooge is the better character anyway ;) Even Rosa thinks so.

This is a good start. Volume 3 and 4 come out later in the year and will include the first part of Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, one of the most popular runs (and most definitely a brilliant run).

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Fan...A-DUCK-LIBRARY-HC-BOX-SET-VOL-01-02/SEP141431

Alpende

I still have a weekly subscription for Donald Duck and still enjoy reading the stories.

Daisy Duck seems like a bitch though. I also like how they put little references in the comics kids wouldn't know about but the more mature audience does.

Donald Duck has had his own magazine in The Netherlands since 1952, I doubt there's a person in the country that didn't grow up reading it, very big part of our society, I would say.

They did a pretty cool cover a few weeks ago in collaboration with the Van Gogh Museum:
CGLwiymUIAE4Qc7.jpg

That cover is awesome, surprised me when I got it.

This is a good start. Volume 3 and 4 come out later in the year and will include the first part of Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, one of the most popular runs (and most definitely a brilliant run).

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Fan...A-DUCK-LIBRARY-HC-BOX-SET-VOL-01-02/SEP141431

Thanks mate, i just ordered it, can't wait to get back into these comics :) Hopefully they can recreate at least SOME of the magic they made me feel back then and it's not all nostalgia ;)

Mr Swine

Banned
I love Donald Duck but I really really hate the comics that depicts Donald as a loser that is poor and extremely unlucky. I think Carl Barks,Don Rosa and the cartoons got Donald Duck right

Did anyone of you fellow Donald Duck & Co readers buy one of those Huey, Dewey, and Louie Junior Woodchucks Guidebook? It felt so amazing as a kid getting one of those after reading all the stories where the book answered every conceivable question. Not that the real thing was close to that lol. But it was a pretty neat book of basic survival. After that I think they started releasing several themed versions that weren't as cool. Not sure if anything like it was released in English.

Yep. Hm... Not sure I still got it. Think I spilled chocolate milk on it :p

Like other people mentioned, Donald Duck is a weekly magazine here in the Netherlands, ever since 1952. It's great. Even quite a lot of adults still secretly love it. It has stories (often original content, later translated into other languages), contests, kids can write letters, membership benefits (museum discounts for example)

Donald is the best Disney character. You include all the Marvel and Star Wars people in there, too; they're nothing compared to Donald.

I've always felt that a lot of his best stuff, in terms of cartoons, is when he's Mickey and Goofy, though.

donaldnazi.jpg

I know I was already beaten by this, but I love old Disney based WW2 propaganda. If you watch the video, it isn't quite as offensive as the still images suggest. Donald is having a nightmare about being forced to live under Nazi rule.

Who's never wrong but always right?
"Yeah?"
Who'd never dream of starting a fight?
"That so?!"
Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
No one... but Donald Duck!
"Yeah!"

Loved his cartoons growing up.

Oddly enough Disney released a new Paul Rudish short the other day for his birthday (they're usually released on Fridays). Not really Donald-centric, but... dat ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ubNBxbLpZE

Kenai

Donald is probably my favorite cartoon character of all time. Never failed to make me laugh growing up, and still does a pretty good job today whenever i watched some of the older stuff.

Definitely Disney's best.

Rydeen

What is it about the ducks in both Disney and Warner's wheel houses that make them so awesome? I was just thinking about Donald and Daffy both being the funniest characters in their respective franchises.

jqpvZSo.jpg

I used to love this tape as a kid. Only 3 of the 6 cartoons actually starred Donald though that didn't really matter since everything was horror themed and I loved that stuff.

Watching Donald flip out or be a total jerk was always fun.

Richie

Mad props for putting a restored version of this! Which makes it even darker/more hilarious, because you'll notice the sun has set in the very last panel.
Implying Donald freaking stayed all the time it took to confirm Goofy wasn't coming out before leaving.

This thread has my seal of approval.

Your post and good taste have my seal of approval too, good sir!

Incidentally the first Caballeros comic by Don Rosa was one of the first I came across, after a life of knowing Donald from animation only. That bit where Panchito and José praise him for thinking of his nephews before anything else in life made me grin like you have no idea.

I had this short on VHS, along with some others. What a fookin classic.

It's on the OP if you wanna watch it again! :) Under 'legendary temper'.

Also worth noting that Donald Duck is also The Mightiest Chemist in the Universe and discovered methylene 20 years before real scientists did.[/URL

Not to mention coming up with a [URL="http://www.iusmentis.com/patents/priorart/donaldduck/"]legit way to raise sunken ships (using ping pong balls)
that not only worked in real life, but the person trying to patent it was DENIED because the patent office knew of the Duck comic and could tell the idea wasn't new. Freakin' Carl Barks, man.

Mike from Cinemassacre did a superb job talking about the Donald Duck comics in a video a while back.

http://cinemassacre.com/2012/09/16/donald-duck-comics-review/

Check it out. He also one about Donald Duck video games, but it isn't as interesting.

Thank you so much for this. It was posted on a blog I visited back in the day, but for one reason or the other the link would never load. Tried to hear it once I got a better laptop and the link was dead. I'll give it a good listen.

love him ... but never understand this part

1430347582_DonaldMickey_xlarge.jpeg

If one half of your body is covered, it isn't indecency! :p

Donald has always been my favorite Disney character. I swear in the old cartoons he would curse sometimes, but it was obscured by his Donald voice. "Little bastards", things like that.

Best thing of this is that they can tame his dialogue all they want, but if it's close enough to the real deal ("Golddarn it!" "The heck with this!") who's gonna notice the difference?

Bam 37 posts till the nazi stuff

0 posts you mean! It's in the OP ;P

Donald is the best, he reminds me so much of myself as I have a similar short fuse and fly off the handle when things go wrong.

I think my favourite cartoon of his was the one where he argued with Pete about their fence and it slowly escalates, can't remember the name of it but just loved his petty vindictiveness in it.

Here ye go, bud!

Holy crap, talk about obscure. Nice find!

My favorite Disney character by far. Recently I got the first two volumes of The Walt Disney Treasure for Donald Duck. Fuck the prices for the last two volumes though, Volume 3 - Volume 4. They are extremely well made DVD's, shame I didn't know shit about them back in the day or I would have jumped all over it, now I gotta wait for a sensible seller or just cough up the dough.

Ten bucks say they're gonna reissue plenty of the Treasures DVDs in BluRay form.

Donald Duck has had his own magazine in The Netherlands since 1952, I doubt there's a person in the country that didn't grow up reading it, very big part of our society, I would say.

They did a pretty cool cover a few weeks ago in collaboration with the Van Gogh Museum:
CGLwiymUIAE4Qc7.jpg

Man, if I could give a Like to NeoGAF posts...

Time to read the best Donald comic ever created again (The Duck Who Never Was, by Don Rosa):

I freakin' loved whenever Don Rosa made comics for big events, like this Donald anniversary or A Little Something Special for Scrooge. When Rosa is at his best he's on damn FIRE. I think it's impossible to have the smallest fondest for Donald and not to grin like an idiot when reading this comic.

We need a Duck cinematic universe.

I think comics by Barks, Rosa and the best by other authors would make an absolutely smashin' TV series. Nothing against the original DuckTales but I'd love to see the 2017 reboot stay more loyal to the comics. I'd also be there day one for some movies.
The tricky thing is how to preserve Donald's more flowery language from the comics into animation, because I bet they aren't gonna change his iconic voice at all, not even with the nephews' treatment.

Nearly all of my Donald memories are about him getting punked by two chipmunks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWRtCKjNW74

Fun trivia, this is the last non-educational Donald short made in the classic era. The very ending sums up Don pretty damn well; life's kicked his ass once more, but Surrender is just not in his vocabulary!

I'll give him his fair do's, he is pretty funny.

He's definitely the second greatest duck.

:D :D :D :D :D

My idiot grin ain't never going away, is it...

deleted

Love Donald Duck. Grew up reading his magazine for years.
I'm kinda freaking out about the English names of Kwik Kwek en Kwak, get outta here with those silly names,

True that, the Dutch translators really knocked it out of the park with their naming back in the 40s(?). Willie Wortel, Guus Geluk, Oom Dagobert, de Zware Jongens - I've been reading the original English versions of Life and Times recently, and I prefer it to the Dutch versions except for the naming.

Germany too, Tick, Trick and Track are so much better than their English names.

Try to guess who these are:
Gustav Gans
Gundel Gaukelei
Klaas Klever
Mac Moneysack
Kater Karlo
Phantomias
Onkel Dagobert

This thread reminds me, that I still have to complete my Carl Barks Collection sometime in the future. I'm still missing around 5 books.

Tizoc

Do not fuck
With this McDuck

Donald and Scrooge are among the best comic/fictional characters ever. Easily among my top 10.

EDIT: Holy shit it's the Metal Gear Ray vs. Rex from MGS4!
letter07.jpg

Joni

Managed to find A Christmas for Shacktown from the hardcover Carl Barks collection. Does anyone have this complete collection? If so, is it worth looking around to find all of them? Managed to snag this one up for €3.50 in a second hand comic shop.

617xMnhqqzL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mad props for putting a restored version of this! Which makes it even darker/more hilarious, because you'll notice the sun has set in the very last panel.
Implying Donald freaking stayed all the time it took to confirm Goofy wasn't coming out before leaving.

Holy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom