• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Ellie from “The last of us: Part ii” on steroids??

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Meat shop is an interesting detail. Makes sense since animals never got infected. I expect they should have full on farms going on.

Nonetheless it's all still Atomic Blonde territory. Having her muscled a bit doesn't change that.

The whole change up in strengths from Joel to Ellie in TLoU1 was fun. Hopefully she still has some level of realistic vulnerability for a 19 y/o girl and isn't able to straight up blast 220 lbs mofos.

But people havd some tone on their body by just doing daily physical activitie.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Are you ok?

I'm doing good.
Here, let's hit the reset button.

A23oUoC.png

Jon Neu

Banned
It is definetly possible for a woman to look like this (without any steroids). There are some women in my gym looking like this ... but in the apocalpyse where food is scarce (to maintain a calorie surplus even with all the fighting and physical activities) and without a workout routine specifically for muscle volume (deadlifts, rowing,...)? Sorry, but you don‘t look like that only from physical combat. You have to workout to achieve a back like this. Especially as a woman.

It's a videogame, doesn't need to be 100% realistic.

If the game was realistic, in a post apocalyptic world without any laws and with the survival of the strongest, all women would be basically sex slaves or dead.

A delicate little girl like Ellie would be a grandma by now.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
You have no idea if they are constantly under threat or attack or not. They had a dance in the first trailer. It seems they are trying to have a semblance of a normal life to go along with surviving.
The story in the sequel is literally about them being attacked by some group that kills Ellie's lady friend...

Tommy's base was under attack by scavengers in the first game. When Joel and Ellie get there, they're tasked with building defenses for the settlement (according to wiki). It's obvious scavengers would want to take over such a position with access to electricity and food, which is relatively defensible.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Body's like the pic in the OP take lots of work and dedication
Its no simple achievement you get without trying

A lean body would be more in tune with the setting
It doesn't.

Im on the run a lot and I try to keep some tone by working out 30-40mins every other day and im not always lifting heavy.

If she worked out regularly, then she would be as toned as the woman in the PGW trailer.

rəddəM

ND really knows what they're doing with this.

yaaaaaaaaasssss show those mosquito bites

Most women like to be feminine and look like hairy men.

By the way you act I'm guessing you're one of them.
The way I act....
You won 2 funny points.
Congratulations.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The story in the sequel is literally about them being attacked by some group that kills Ellie's lady friend...

Tommy's base was under attack by scavengers in the first game. When Joel and Ellie get there, they're tasked with building defenses for the settlement (according to wiki). It's obvious scavengers would want to take over such a position with access to electricity and food, which is relatively defensible.

You have the plot all figured out, don't you?

Hell, even in TWD they are not under attack 24/7. There are long breaks of rebuilding and trying to have a semblance of normalcy.

Forgot this part as well.

Primitive and native cultures were under constant threat from weather, wildlife, other tribes, etc., and they still found time to entertain and tattoo as well.

Tell me what your real issue is, because the mental gymnastics that there is just no time for some normalcy is a very weak defense.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People often criticize TLOU for not having enough gameplay and how the story shouldn't be the main focus point, but now people want to know about her workout routine. Lol

xMxHx

Neo Member
That seems normal. I mean look at her life walking for hours using a bow killing monster and people horse riding swimming that's alot of physical activity all this and u want a frail body doesn't seem right to me.
and sorry for my english.

Saber

I doesn't look like anything particulary strange or excessive buff if you ask me.

To me it looks pretty much like the condition of someone used to survive on whatever the crap they throw at. Nothing wrong with her, at least for me.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I had to replay twice to make sure who in this shot was. I seriously hope there is a backstory to how she managed to get those side delts, traps like Bane and a solid upper back. I don't think its naturally possible for a female to achieve this much muscle density at all. Look at Olympia fitness competitors, even they are not this dense and defined. This is post apocalypse universe . Unless, im missing something, i was absolutely dumbfounded by this design choice.

I mean look at this:

azE1wQh.jpg

Looks like she has been hitting those chin up bars and dumbbells more than she's been playing guitar.
A very good back, so having someone tell you "are you on steroids?" is a very good thing.

vpance

But people havd some tone on their body by just doing daily physical activitie.

The tone isn't really the problem, it's just that I wonder if that will all of a sudden be the justification of how Ellie can wreck adult males double her size. That's what I meant by going Atomic Blonde.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
You have the plot all figured out, don't you?
Nahh, that's just info taken from the previous game and the trailers for the new one.

It's possible that one day, when they didn't find much of use during a scavenging mission, they took some tattoo equipment and ink, and Ellie got a tattoo done by a professional artist who just happened to be part of that settlement. I guess it's possible, in theory. I think that's a bit of a stretch, but it's obvious our opinions differ on that front.

I played the first game multiple times, and it never seemed like getting a tattoo would ever even enter the minds of people surviving in such a harsh world... If there's a in-universe explanation (Everyone in the settlement getting a tattoo done so people can identify corpses/clickers) I'd be fine with it, but Ellie's tattoo seems like a bit of luxury that one normally wouldn't be permitted in a world like the one shown in TLoU.

SonGoku

Really? I don't go to gym and my back is not far away from what the pic shows... to be fair my back is even more shaped than her but that is because I'm a man ;)

I don't think you have any ideia how some body can get ripped easily.

It doesn't.
Im on the run a lot and I try to keep some tone by working out 30-40mins every other day and im not always lifting heavy.
If she worked out regularly, then she would be as toned as the woman in the PGW trailer.
On closer inspection I concede you are right its not that ripped
What threw me off is the very manly physique of the back (waist and shoulders)

Case in point:
Its ripped but feminine and attractive body type

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nahh, that's just info taken from the previous game and the trailers for the new one.

It's possible that one day, when they didn't find much of use during a scavenging mission, they took some tattoo equipment and ink, and Ellie got a tattoo done by a professional artist who just happened to be part of that settlement. I guess it's possible, in theory. I think that's a bit of a stretch, but it's obvious our opinions differ on that front.

I played the first game multiple times, and it never seemed like getting a tattoo would ever even enter the minds of people surviving in such a harsh world... If there's a in-universe explanation (Everyone in the settlement getting a tattoo done so people can identify corpses/clickers) I'd be fine with it, but Ellie's tattoo seems like a bit of luxury that one normally wouldn't be permitted in a world like the one shown in TLoU.

One explanation is that it could be used to cover up her bite mark. Whether to hide she is immune from others, or from a reminder to herself remains to be seen.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The tone isn't really the problem, it's just that I wonder if that will all of a sudden be the justification of how Ellie can wreck adult males double her size. That's what I meant by going Atomic Blonde.
Videogames aren't realistic except when we make our characters ugly!

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
One explanation is that it could be used to cover up her bite mark. Whether to hide she is immune from others, or from a reminder to herself remains to be seen.
You're right, it does seem to be her right arm that has the tattoo. Makes sense to cover that up, and to go through somewhat ridicolous lengths to do so.

I was just looking at it from the angle of the devs adding a detail to her design they thought looked cool. That's fine in and of itself, but it raises too many questions about the world in this case IMO. But yeah, the bite mark would be something you'd want to cover up.

As if people here have seen a naked woman before.

I most certainly *have* seen a naked woman before.

The most surpirsing - and enjoyable - thing about her was that she had a sense of humour and was great at naked wrestling. She was very strong, even though her penis wasn't even as big as mine.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Looks like the body type is possible?

Lots of photographic evidence, even if a lot still don’t look as mannish as Ellie does.

I think that kind of circles around the point, though.

1: A woman is not going to get this male look either in a post-apocalyptic world without appropriate training equipment (although some could be fashioned), and diet. She would get toned, not shredded and mistakable as a guy from the back.

2: In real life, even if you can load up on the steroids, protein powder, eats, training, whatever... should you? What is so wrong with femininity that you have to run away and be a poor imitation of a male? Likewise, for whatever the designers were thinking here, apparently not just once, but with two separate female characters.

I would have much rather have seen a feminine, but battle ready and athletic Ellie, secure in her own identity, not a hulking dude with a dainty head on top. Everything about it feels wrong and freakish, and it’s the same with the bodybuilding pics.

If it felt unrealistic for Ellie to be fighting with that kind of body structure, well, that’s how it is in real life. Even these bodybuilders would likely get wiped out by normal dudes. You can try to ‘woke’ your way around that, or you can embrace a female character, and create the gameplay on that basis, versus making her Joel 2.0.

I don’t think they want to, though. I think this game is no small part influenced by wanting to make social statements, from the lesbian relationship, to the built girls, and I think that’s the type of game they want to make.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I had to replay twice to make sure who in this shot was. I seriously hope there is a backstory to how she managed to get those side delts, traps like Bane and a solid upper back. I don't think its naturally possible for a female to achieve this much muscle density at all. Look at Olympia fitness competitors, even they are not this dense and defined. This is post apocalypse universe . Unless, im missing something, i was absolutely dumbfounded by this design choice.

I mean look at this:

azE1wQh.jpg

Looks like she has been hitting those chin up bars and dumbbells more than she's been playing guitar.

What makes u think this body is imposible to achieve by women?

I ve seen lots of female athletes with more muscular body than this

U must be thin af like Shaggy Doo to have this viewpoint

The great thanos and hulk laughs at ya

Last edited:

MacReady13

There are many women with powerful arms and backs out there who look something like that (and more). I think we can agree Ellie has led a very challenging life physically in that world, and in her many boring hours of down time (not like they have TV and videogames, ya know?) perhaps she WAS hitting some dumbbells and parallel bars to get as strong as possible.

I think maybe people are looking for things to be mad about -- at least wait for the game to come out.

I mean, it is only a game! Who cares what she looks like?

SonGoku

At this point it would be better to call a spade a spade.
They are trying too hard to go for that lesbian power fantasy even if its out of place

Same with people complaining of sexualization in kojimas games (quiet,SW) , sexy armor that isn't practical etc. They are doing the same just the opposite direction.

vpance

Looks like the body type is possible?

Lots of photographic evidence, even if a lot still don’t look as mannish as Ellie does.

I think that kind of circles around the point, though.

1: A woman is not going to get this male look either in a post-apocalyptic world without appropriate training equipment (although some could be fashioned), and diet. She would get toned, not shredded and mistakable as a guy from the back.

2: In real life, even if you can load up on the steroids, protein powder, eats, training, whatever... should you? What is so wrong with femininity that you have to run away and be a poor imitation of a male? Likewise, for whatever the designers were thinking here, apparently not just once, but with two separate female characters.

I would have much rather have seen a feminine, but battle ready and athletic Ellie, secure in her own identity, not a hulking dude with a dainty head on top. Everything about it feels wrong and freakish, and it’s the same with the bodybuilding pics.

If it felt unrealistic for Ellie to be fighting with that kind of body structure, well, that’s how it is in real life. Even these bodybuilders would likely get wiped out by normal dudes. You can try to ‘woke’ your way around that, or you can embrace a feminine character, and create the gameplay on that basis, versus making her Joel 2.0.

I don’t think they want to, though. I think this game is no small part influenced by wanting to make social statements, from the lesbian relationship, to the built girls, and I think that’s the type of game they want to make.

Of course it's possible, but not likely in her situation.

My guess is it's out of necessity to explain how a 19 y/o can do all these feats of combat vs bigger foes. Once they decided she was going to play like a Joel 2.0 they couldn't have her looking like your average teen waif.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
At this point it would be better to call a spade a spade.
They are trying too hard to go for that lesbian power fantasy even if its out of place

Most fun games are power fantasies. Joel kills hundreds of enemies in the first game. There's nothing out of place about Ellie doing the same in the sequel just because she's a lesbian.

Well... I guess we now all know how Neil Druckmann likes his women.

.... Each to their own buut... 🤮.

This game is clearly not for me. Instantly unsold. I'm happy for everyone else though. Have fun. I'm out.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Most fun games are power fantasies. Joel kills hundreds of enemies in the first game. There's nothing out of place about Ellie doing the same in the sequel just because she's a lesbian.
Hey im all for that creative freedom
Just don't pretend ellie is more realiistic than quiet or any other sexualised character

Top Bottom