• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "freshness" the secret to Wii's success?

Big-E

Link said:
This may be true regarding third parties, but people don't seem to be buying the DS for the usual Nintendo suspects. And if Wii Sports and Wii Play are any indication, that's not what they're buying the Wii for either.

They may not be the normal Nintendo style games, but they are Nintendo made games.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Link said:
Do you really want to make this argument? Because I can tell you right now you're going to get severely burned. Let me ask you this, are you even aware of the sell-through ratios for the games you mentioned? Because you obviously aren't.

This may be true regarding third parties, but people don't seem to be buying the DS for the usual Nintendo suspects. And if Wii Sports and Wii Play are any indication, that's not what they're buying the Wii for either.

Go ahead and burn away. You guys don't get it. I'm just telling you what I see. I don't see these people buying a lot of games. End of story.

Maybe where you live grandmas are lining up to buy zelda and red steel, they're not doing it in my neck of the woods.

The Wii is not the DS. The console market is not the handheld market. I can't put it any simpler than that. If you believe the two markets are the same, then there isn't much left to discuss.

I will ask you if you can say with a straight face that introducing a new control scheme to a market you own is exactly the same as introducing a new control scheme to a market you had a cage match with MS over last place for last generation?

I really don't know what the point of arguing about it is anyways. I don't see non-gamers buying a lot of software, you do, end of story.

theBishop

Banned
TigersFan said:
Maybe I'm just hoping here, but I think Wii games have the opportunity to bridge the gap between these two things. Complex games with simple controls. I think their bread and butter will be simple games though. PacMan sells to a much much larger audience than FF or MGS or DMC ever will.

I'm loving TP though. Complex games are possible on it. And if it gets that huge simple game fanbase they're shooting for, I think the complex games will come too. It seems to have worked for the DS that way.

Maybe it will. But for your average 3rd/1st person free-camera 3d game, I find the Wii control setup to be far more complicated than the 360 or PS3.

Nintendo has always said their goal with the Wii was to overcome the intimidating controls that have kept certain people from playing games. The remote is a brilliant piece of engineering in that direction. But the tethered nunchuck blows it out of the water. I couldn't have imagined a more intimidating-looking contraption for controlling a video game.

Jokeropia

Woo-Fu said:
They sell a lot of software, they don't sell a lot of software for each DS/DS Lite out there. The numbers are misleading, at least when having the discussion we're having now.
Get your facts straight. DS has a distinctly better tie-ratio than the GBA had at this point and obviously way better than PSP.
Woo-Fu said:
Instead of trying to compare it the portable market, I'm forming my opinion based upon the gamers/non-gamers I know who have the Wii are doing.
And I'm looking at the facts which say Wii has almost twice the tie ratio of PS3.

Your entire post is based on anecdotal evidence which obviously means nothing when it conflicts with the facts.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Woo-Fu said:
I really don't know what the point of arguing about it is anyways. I don't see non-gamers buying a lot of software, you do, end of story.
Except you're the one who is wrong on so many levels :lol

Enron

Banned
i think that for games like tennis, golf, baseball, basically any sports game where the real-life physical motion can be approximated with the use of the wiimote, the Wii will be great and move a good number of units. The controller adds a lot to the experience. But for more traditional games, I think the Wii will fizzle here in this department. And ultimately, it will be what brings the Wii back down to earth. Sure, everyone is loving the "fresh" and "innovative" controls of wiisports, but what's going to happen when Wii owners get tired of wiisports-like games and want to play something like Halo or Metal Gear or Gears of War? Nintendo won't have an answer for that. So, I think things will eventually settle down to where they were last gen. The Mario/Metroid/Zelda fans will be clamoring for all things wii and the casual gamers that got hooked on wiisports and havent by then tired of it will push it along, but I think that they will still settle for 3rd behind ps3/xbox360. Much like last gen, although the numbers will be a LOT closer.

Big-E

Woo-Fu said:
Go ahead and burn away. You guys don't get it. I'm just telling you what I see. I don't see these people buying a lot of games. End of story.

Maybe where you live grandmas are lining up to buy zelda and red steel, they're not doing it in my neck of the woods.

The Wii is not the DS. The console market is not the handheld market. I can't put it any simpler than that. If you believe the two markets are the same, then there isn't much left to discuss.

I will ask you if you can say with a straight face that introducing a new control scheme to a market you own is exactly the same as introducing a new control scheme to a market you had a cage match with MS over last place for last generation?

Your main point is probably valid about not buying software. The reason people got upset with your is that your logic is a little bit hazy and that comment about the PS2 having multiple 50 million sellers didn't help your cause.

Flo_Evans said:
I think its too early to tell. Wii is definatly hot right now, but who knows? Core gamers will own the system reguardless, casuals and the dreaded non-gamers can't really hurt the wii even if they only buy 3 games then put the thing in the closet never to be seen again. I know ALOT of casual gamers that don't play with their PS2s. They buy bad games then shelf the thing. The same may happen with the wii but I don't really see it hurting thier bussiness model, just as it didn't hurt the PS2.

The casual/non-gamers can help the system attract more 3rd party developers sheerly by increasing the install base of the system. This will help the Wii have a diverse selection of games.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Woo-Fu said:
You're the one that mentioned DS game sales as a precedent for Wii game sales.

It seems to be working pretty well for them so far.

Again, looking at DS software sales, yes, I do. Even ignoring that, looking at the sales of Wii Sports in Japan and the hype it has caused over here, again, yes, I do.

Woo-Fu said:

I think you're missing the point.

The whole point of the Wii is to turn non-gamers INTO gamers. Gamers will then buy software.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Woo-Fu said:

Wait you tell me use numbers, when I get numbers proving me right you rely on what youre seeing at local game shops...wtf!? So far Wii is selling pretty well. So where are you getting the fact that Nintendo can't replicate what it did with the DS?

Spike

fresquito said:
Ah, the the sweet memories... I fondly remember when such argument was done about nintendogs, then about Brain Training, then about Animal Crossing, then about Brain Training 2, or English Training... how many copies of them have been sold around the world?

Too bad the real non-gamers are buying PS3s and PSPs :lol

Bingo.

The Wii is a gaming system only, not a multifunction device like the other two systems. People are buying the PS3 for the promise of games to come and Blu-Ray movies. The X360 is selling because of the awesome online experience and games and it's expanding to include movie and tv download service. The Wii is selling for the games only.

Myself, I like the Wii, but I don't know if I adore it yet. It's fun, to be sure, but it still is in the launch period, so I'll reserve judgement for when the games start flowing consistently.

Mrbob

DeaconKnowledge said:
I think you're missing the point.

The whole point of the Wii is to turn non-gamers INTO gamers. Gamers will then buy software.

And the ripple effect could be these people then buy a PS3 in 2009 when it is $299.99, and HDTVs are more mainstream.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Woo-Fu said:
You'd have to ask Doc, he was the one who pulled that number out...

Dude it was an obvious joke......thats why it was funny when you said the Ps2 had plenty of 50 million sellers :)

Woo-Fu said:

Can I give you a little hint ? You're new and you don't know the GAF yet. Ignore provocations, or you'll be banned very soon......

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I think "freshness" is a silly term to use for a games console anyway. Refreshing is how I'd describe a cool drink of water, not a games console.

I don't drink my Wii now, do I?

Mrbob said:
Hah. Not exactly the same situation, and you know this. Gamecube wasn't a system ahead of its time. PS3 is.

Yeah, gamers really care about that. Dreamcast was ahead of it's time too. I didn't see any grassroots campaign to adopt the system after support dried up in favour of the PS2.

marc^o^

Enron said:
but what's going to happen when Wii owners get tired of wiisports-like games and want to play something like Halo or Metal Gear or Gears of War?
Metroïd, Resident Evil and other FPS won't be released on Wii. Oh wait...

Enron

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Metroïd, Resident Evil and other FPS won't be released on Wii. Oh wait...

That's not exactly what i meant. Do you honestly think those types of games will provide the same experience for the gamer on the Wii as they will on the ps3/xbox360? I certainly don't.

Big-E

DeaconKnowledge said:
Worked for the GameCube.

I think you are a little misguided to use this term in reference to PS3 and XBOX 360. The PS3 and the XBOX 360 are vastly different to the Wii compared to how the Gamecube was different then the PS2.

R0nn

Enron said:
Sure, everyone is loving the "fresh" and "innovative" controls of wiisports, but what's going to happen when Wii owners get tired of wiisports-like games and want to play something like Halo or Metal Gear or Gears of War? Nintendo won't have an answer for that.

The mainstream market (ie. non/lapsed gamers and Wii's biggest target audience) are going to care about Metal Gear and GoW? Yeah, just like they did in the past amirite? Nintendo will have an answer for these people, and it's more games in the vein of Wii Sports (ie. Wii Music, Wii Fitness etc.). For the core and hardcore groups they'd better also keep releasing traditional Nintendo titles and give third parties a go too.

The Wii is a gaming system only, not a multifunction device like the other two systems.

Not completely true. Otherwise you'll have to explain features like the News Channel, Voting Channel (what's the English name for it anyway?), Weather Channel and message board to me. The Wii IS more than just a gaming system, only in a different light. It has additional features other than multimedia.

If anything, the X360 is still the most traditional gaming system of all three (and I like it for that).

That's not exactly what i meant. Do you honestly think those types of games will provide the same experience for the gamer on the Wii as they will on the ps3/xbox360? I certainly don't.

No, but it will not matter in the long run seeing as how Nintendo tries to attract other groups besides the traditional group of gamers. It's dellusional to think that core and hardcore gamers are the de facto audience of the Wii.

Mrbob

DeaconKnowledge said:
Yeah, gamers really care about that. Dreamcast was ahead of it's time too. I didn't see any grassroots campaign to adopt the system after support dried up in favour of the PS2.

Depends on what you want to categorize the PS3 as. I wouldn't consider the PS3 a pure games machine. It is the first real multimedia convergence device, which also plays games. Whether it works out in the long run, I don't know. But I would argue that the success of the PS3 has nothing to do with what Nintendo and MS accomplish. It depends on Blu Ray becoming the dominant force for HD movies. Of course games is part of the equation, otherwise the system wouldn't play them. But it isn't the only driving force.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Enron said:
To be honest, I'm guessing most people that will buy a Wii and enjoy it really won't care if they don't have HD graphics and 5.1 surround sound. So yes, to them, it will be pretty much the same experience.

Big-E said:
I think you are a little misguided to use this term in reference to PS3 and XBOX 360. The PS3 and the XBOX 360 are vastly different to the Wii compared to how the Gamecube was different then the PS2.

Not really.

Was GameCube the jump over PS2 that the PS3 is over the Wii? Of course not.

But I ask you, why would gamers that have (hypothetically) anointed the Wii as market leader abandon it mid-race for the PS3? That argument completely ignores third party trends.

Look at the DS and PSP. The DS claims to bring in new gamers. Why then have the new gamers not adopted the PSP? It is the superior system graphically.

Flo_Evans

Confidence Man said:
Wii owes it's success to timing as much as the novelty of it's control. Among non-gaming adults, parents, etc... I imagine there's a sense that these $400+ next-gen consoles pushing HD visuals is ridiculously excessive for silly videogames. Oh, but here's the Wii - family friendly entertainment with a funny name, lower price, and "OMG you pretend you're actually swinging a racket!" with playskool-inspired characters. It's perfect timing, really.

I think this is true. The wii is seen as new and exciting technology but still family friendly priced. What happens in 2-3 years when the PS3 is $300, 360 is $200 and wii is $150 though? Some of the wii non-gamer converts might be ready for a more 'hardcore' machine. They might want to actaully experience an online game or take advantage of their new TV.

As for games only.. WTF are these photo news and weather channels then?! Being games only really didn't help out the cube. People like multifunction devices. Puting a memory card in the slot and being able to see pictures on the TV is like magic to non-technical people.

Enron

Banned
R0nn said:
The mainstream market (ie. non/lapsed gamers and Wii's biggest target audience) are going to care about Metal Gear and GoW? Yeah, just like they did in the past amirite?

Not everyone that buys a Wii is a non-gamer, amirite?

marc^o^

Enron said:
That's not exactly what i meant. Do you honestly think those games will provide the same experience for the gamer on the Wii as they will on the ps3/xbox360? I certainly don't.
Well, can't really say as these games aren't out yet. Will the wiimote controls make you forget about the non HD graphics? It all depends on the talent of developers. The potential is there, certainly.

Besides some gamers will have a wii and a next gen console. And some gamers will only have a wii. So there's a market for these games on wii too.

Jiggy

DenogginizerOS said:
I had one of those Wii moments the other night that convinced me Nintendo is winning right now because they are providing a highly interactive fresh experience that has never been executed so well before in gaming.
Either that or pricing are pretty much the only reasons to explain Wii's success thus far. The "freshness" is almost a default factor because, unlike the DS, which is anchored by hordes of superb traditional games among everything else--one could easily construct a great DS library and never use the touch screen (though one would be stupidly missing out on Elite Beat Agents)--basically everything on Wii so far has been catered to the controller. Except, perhaps, for people like me who have twelve Virtual Console games and one PS2 port, you won't find people who are buying a Wii to support their traditionalist values.

If X360 and/or Sony fully copied the Wii-Mote, would it suddenly increase their sales?
If they did, it'd be too late and divide their users into the categories of those who had the motion control and those who didn't--which would then fracture game developers, some of the mindset that they should focus only on the control style every 360/PS3 owner has, and others of the mindset that they should use the extra resources to create both control styles.

Which leads me to another question. When will we see PS3 and X360 deliver something so fresh and exciting that the Wii might possibly be eclipsed as the must-have system? I think that something like Halo 3 or Metal Gear Solid 4 is the easy answer to this question, but I really believe it will be a game we weren't expecting
Assuming that I give you the premise that freshness is what drives a system to be "must-have," then yes, a game we aren't expecting is the answer. There's a difference between fresh and high-quality; Halo 3, MGS4, FFXIII, etc. may each end up being high-quality (and, for Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, etc.), but fresh? Doubtful. At the least, not fresh to those who have played their predecessors. It's usually the new franchises that come out of nowhere that show the most stunning success, relative to franchises that existed before--Pokemon, 3D GTA, Halo 1 (outside Japan), Brain Training (inside Japan).

Enron

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Well, can't really say as these games aren't out yet. Will the wiimote controls make you forget about the non HD graphics? It all depends on the talent of developers. The potential is there, certainly.

Besides some gamers will have a wii and a next gen console. And some gamers will only have a wii. So there's a market for these games on wii too.

Not entirely related, but I wonder: out of the population that owns a console, what percentage of those folks own more than ONE console from the same generation? I remember back when i was a kid, you either had a nintendo or you had a sega. No one had both. When i was in college, you either had a PS or a Nintendo64. Never both.

Xrenity

All I can say is that I totally missed this thread because I've been playing EXCITE TRUCK for a couple of hours, of which some were versus my dad. He really liked it, and even better, I absolutely enjoy tilting the controller left and right, while making these enormous jumps.

If Nintendo just keeps those games (Metroid, Mario, etc) and non-games (sports, music, health, etc) coming, they're going to be just fine.

marc^o^

Yes, Excite Trucks rocks pretty hard. This is one good example of a wii game that feels fresh. Now I want my Wave Race with these controls to get things even fresher.

Big-E

DeaconKnowledge said:
Not really.

Was GameCube the jump over PS2 that the PS3 is over the Wii? Of course not.

But I ask you, why would gamers that have (hypothetically) anointed the Wii as market leader abandon it mid-race for the PS3? That argument completely ignores third party trends.

Look at the DS and PSP. The DS claims to bring in new gamers. Why then have the new gamers not adopted the PSP? It is the superior system graphically.

Third parties haven't really embraced the DS to its full extent. 3rd party software sales are better for the PSP then the DS. As the old adage goes, Nintendo is your biggest competitor on a Nintendo system. It will be interesting to see if 3rd party developers are going to enjoy success on the Wii.

Link

The Autumn Wind
speculawyer said:
Sometimes I have that 'not so fresh' feeling? What should I do?
Now with wings!

wiings.jpg

Big-E said:
Third parties haven't really embraced the DS to its full extent. 3rd party software sales are better for the PSP then the DS. As the old adage goes, Nintendo is your biggest competitor on a Nintendo system. It will be interesting to see if 3rd party developers are going to enjoy success on the Wii.

Many PSP third party titles use PS2 resources to make games. The PS3 will not have the same luxury.

Also, $600.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Big-E said:
Your main point is probably valid about not buying software. The reason people got upset with your is that your logic is a little bit hazy and that comment about the PS2 having multiple 50 million sellers didn't help your cause.

That comment was misread.

It isn't multiple 50 million sellers, it is 50 individual titles that sold a million plus. I never said that about the PS2 in the first place, but that is beside the point. I said it had plenty of million+ sellers, and I seem to recall that being a true statement.

They're not my numbers...

Big-E

DeaconKnowledge said:
Many PSP third party titles use PS2 resources to make games. The PS3 will not have the same luxury.

Also, $600.

Isn't this what we are seing with the Wii already though? We already have a PSP and Wii PoP and there have been anouncements of PS2/Wii titles in development. The PSP may have better third party sales because of the closeness to PS2 projects but I don't think the Wii is going to have a healthy third party area if it adapts a lot of these type of projects.

Jokeropia

Woo Fu said:
That comment was misread.

It isn't multiple 50 million sellers, it is 50 individual titles that sold a million plus. I never said that about the PS2 in the first place, but that is beside the point. I said it had plenty of million+ sellers, and I seem to recall that being a true statement.

They're not my numbers...
The primary reason you got called on your comments is that you used anecdotal evidence to claim that DS has a poor tie-ratio, when the actual facts (HW/SW shipment figures and tracker sell-through figures) contradict this.

ksamedi

Xrenity said:
All I can say is that I totally missed this thread because I've been playing EXCITE TRUCK for a couple of hours, of which some were versus my dad. He really liked it, and even better, I absolutely enjoy tilting the controller left and right, while making these enormous jumps.

If Nintendo just keeps those games (Metroid, Mario, etc) and non-games (sports, music, health, etc) coming, they're going to be just fine.

Well i dont think they will be just fine, from the looks of it, they will rule the console and handheld seen for a long time. And i mean really rule it, like Nintendo top 30s and stuff.

R0nn

Enron said:
Not everyone that buys a Wii is a non-gamer, amirite?

No, and I said so already. But what part of 'biggest target audience' didn't you understand? I mean, that group of non-gamers is most probably Nintendo's most important audience and one they want to keep. Sure, the core and hardcore gamers are quite important too, but Nintendo still has their more traditional licenses for those people. Then there is third-party which might concentrate more on Wii depending on how succesful the console becomes and how third party games sell on the platform.

Still, I do believe that the Wii will never be a main platform for more traditional gaming in the Gears of War-sense so to speak. People should get either a X360 or PS3 for that.

marc^o^

R0nn said:
Still, I do believe that the Wii will never be a main platform for more traditional gaming in the Gears of War-sense so to speak. People should get either a X360 or PS3 for that.
I think we all agree with that. But this doesn't mean Wii won't offer such tradional gaming and won't host some gems for gamers like Enron.

Big-E said:
Isn't this what we are seing with the Wii already though? We already have a PSP and Wii PoP and there have been anouncements of PS2/Wii titles in development. The PSP may have better third party sales because of the closeness to PS2 projects but I don't think the Wii is going to have a healthy third party area if it adapts a lot of these type of projects.

You're not getting it.

Under the hypothetical "Wii is the market leader" argument, there is not much incentive for 3rd parties to develop for the PS3 because they have to build tools and engines from scratch, whereas on the Wii they can re-use resources made for the Wii and transferred from the PS2.

This is why despite the DS' success the PSP still sees healthy (but declining) 3rd party development; devs can just transfer PS2 resources. That won't be a viable option for the PS3.

R0nn

Jokeropia said:
The primary reason you got called on your comments is that you used anecdotal evidence to claim that DS has a poor tie-ratio, when the actual facts (HW/SW shipment figures and tracker sell-through figures) contradict this.

It's not just that. He also seems to forget how much longer the PS2 is on the market compared to the DS and also how much bigger it's userbase is.

So yeah, it's not a very valid argument he's making. At the least, it's rather baseless. Anecdotal evidence isn't much, especially when it gets debunked by actual figures.

Well i dont think they will be just fine, from the looks of it, they will rule the console and handheld seen for a long time. And i mean really rule it, like Nintendo top 30s and stuff.

Now that's some serious hyperbole right there! :lol This scenario will never happen, not in more than one territory at least (Japan might be possible). You can quote me on that later.

Top Bottom