• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Horizon ZD the only game this gen that delivered on its early trailers promise

You don't seem to be familiar with the concept of "direct port with no optimization". I'll ignore the rest.

I already argumented on what changed between the trailer and the final game and i did it a billion times. The real mystery here is why i even bother.
I'm really not sure what you mean by the game not having a downgrade from the first few trailers to what we have now.

vivekTO

This comparison reminds me when earlier the release of the game someone saying the Game is downgraded while comparing the E3 trailer to a japan Stream, like "look at the texture quality". the grass and plants still drops shadow , that can checked in the screenshot thread. Please if you want to compare atleast pick proper sources not youtube.

I mean look at the variation and density
1488468342-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170302154822.png

1488468350-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170302155127.png

About your other post regarding "gameplay" i think she means that when you do all the platforming sequence with explosions and Destructions with the fidelity of reveal trailer, that can't be possible with Ps4 , the reveal was just a character with pre defined motion, it is hard to pull in a game.

Synth

This comparison reminds me when earlier the release of the game someone saying the Game is downgraded while comparing the E3 trailer to a japan Stream, like "look at the texture quality". the grass and plants still drops shadow , that can checked in the screenshot thread. Please if you want to compare atleast pick proper sources not youtube.

I was just using the same source that OP themselves directed everyone to. I know what the final game of Horizon looks like, as I've played it for myself on my PS4 Pro... so I don't need to view screenshots.

I'm not saying that the shadowing is absent. It's just quite clearly not as good as the reveal footage, and that can be seen easily even via YouTube. If we could create a screenshot thread using whatever build/spec the reveal was, it'd look noticeably better than the shots in the current screenshot thread also. But it makes even less sense to grab a bunch of direct feed (and more often than not, photomode enhanced) screens, and then use them to compare to a compressed video.

About your other post regarding "gameplay" i think she means that when you do all the platforming sequence with explosions and Destructions with the fidelity of reveal trailer, that can't be possible with Ps4 , the reveal was just a character with pre defined motion, it is hard to pull in a game.

Yea, but those sorts of setpieces already make concession beyond those of the non-interactive cutscenes anyway. That's standard for basically every game in existence.

vivekTO

I'm not saying that the shadowing is absent. It's just quite clearly not as good as the reveal footage, and that can be seen easily even via YouTube.

Sorry if we are talking about change in direction of lights lead to different shadow than i can agree upon but i can't see the quality of shadow from the youtube capture, maybe i am alone in this. But its ok, i don't have to go back n forth on this matter, just wanted to be clear my points on the Comparison.

Synth

Sorry if we are talking about change in direction of lights lead to different shadow than i can agree upon but i can't see the quality of shadow from the youtube capture, maybe i am alone in this. But its ok, i don't have to go back n forth on this matter, just wanted to be clear my points on the Comparison.

Sure, I don't really want to go back and forth on this either... but yes, you can. For all the crap people give YouTube, it's not so unclear that you can't tell when something like shadowing is more detailed. If we were talking about seeing the micro detail in a 4K asphalt texture, then I'd agree, but we're not.

It's not even just the quality of shadows either, but the quantity. Everything is self-shadowing and casting onto everything else with serious consistency in the reveal trailer when compared to the final game, under all conditions.

EDIT: Oh, and photomode shots should never be brought into graphical comparison discussions. Just because we can now make our own bullshots, that doesn't stop them from being bullshots. Gameplay footage implies real-time rendering, not whatever cleanup and additional passes they can apply with the unlimited time a photomode shot gets to render out.

That trailer has such cherry picked final game screenshots it's just hilarious. Zones with short grass rather than the more frequent tall grass, a screenshot of Link with a derpy face, and best of all, a backlighted screenshot of a guardian so it shows next to no detail (basically a black shadow with growy bits).

Back on topic, I think plenty of games delivered or even overdelivered this gen, graphically or otherwise. Bloodborne may be my pick.

Synth

This thread was bound to become a petty nitpicking arena and it sure as hell delivered....

Well to be fair, you'd have to be nitpicky to be eliminating the vast majority of non-Ubisoft games this generation.

So it's either that, or the answer is just "no", and then /thread

whoszed

If you like cinematic games and were ever even curious about The Order, it's definitely one to check out, even if it's just for a single playthrough (it's not that long a game) because, presentation wise, I don't think there's a game that really tops it. Just prepare for the feeling of disappointment that there will never be a sequel to fix the issues the game has.

The sequel should have been called The Order 1996 where the main characters of the previous game would be grumpy, out of touch old fucks living in an alternate version of the modern world and you'd play as a new member of the Order.

EDIT: Oh, and photomode shots should never be brought into graphical comparison discussions. Just because we can now make our own bullshots, that doesn't stop them from being bullshots. Gameplay footage implies real-time rendering, not whatever cleanup and additional passes they can apply with the unlimited time a photomode shot gets to render out.

Unless you apply DOF or the color filters, there is literally no visible difference between a photomode shot and a gameplay shot in Horizon.

And even with added DOF or a changed FOV the photomode is still running in real time. Its not like it processes a screenshot first.

Horizon photomode shots are perfectly valid for comparisons.

Synth

Unless you apply DOF or the color filters, there is literally no visible difference between a photomode shot and a gameplay shot in Horizon.

And even with added DOF or a changed FOV the photomode is still running in real time. Its not like it processes a screenshot first.

Horizon photomode shots are perfectly valid for comparisons.

If that's the case for Horizon, then fair enough.. I'm just used to seeing photomodes that add all sorts of shit to the image being passed off as representative this gen. Screenshot threads aren't even really screenshot threads anymore these days.

If that's the case for Horizon, then fair enough.. I'm just used to seeing photomodes that add all sorts of shit to the image being passed off as representative this gen. Screenshot threads aren't even really screenshot threads anymore these days.

The Photomode in Horizon lets you change the time of day, it lets you control the camera more freely than during normal gameplay, it lets you add depth of field and it lets you change the field of view. And then it offers some color filters.

But it adds no visual enhancements. What you see in a photomode shot is what you see ingame.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Still can't believe The Order actually looked as good as when they revealed it. Remember how everyone was... yeah... riiiigggghhhtttt... That game looks so damn good.

Why are people comparing non gameplay trailers to gameplay footage?

You do realise that the non gameplay footage of Horizon looks and plays nothing like the actual game, right? It's a great game regardless but using that as part of the discussion is stupid.

Some of you need to bottle your salt because you could make a fortune.

IHaveIce

Banned
Honestly most of Sony's output delivers on their early showings in terms of visuals

Driveclub, Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886, Bloodborne, and framerate aside, Uncharted 4 all basically looked as good or better than their prerelease footage.
Bloodborne was better prerelease.

But the others were damn close to their trailers, Sony often delays games and they announce them way too early, but at least when they release they are pretty good technically.

Exceot for Last Guardian

That trailer has such cherry picked final game screenshots it's just hilarious. Zones with short grass rather than the more frequent tall grass, a screenshot of Link with a derpy face, and best of all, a backlighted screenshot of a guardian so it shows next to no detail (basically a black shadow with growy bits).

Back on topic, I think plenty of games delivered or even overdelivered this gen, graphically or otherwise. Bloodborne may be my pick.

the denial is stronger than ever with this game

Tyaren

News for you: The photomode does (unlike games like Driveclub) add no graphical enhancements to the game. I for example always want to keep my photos as close as possible to the actual look of the game. I never use DOF, filters, or other image altering effects. All I do is move the camera, zoom in or out, maybe tilt it a little if I feel extra rebellious. ;)

horizon_zero_dawn_10_by_gamephotography-db15yqm.png

horizon_zero_dawn_28_by_gamephotography-db36s35.png

32345284233_49de69c7e2_o.png

News for you: The photomode does (unlike games like Driveclub) add no graphical enhancements to the game. I for example always want to keep my photos as close as possible to the actual look of the game. I never use DOF, filters, or other image altering effects. All I do is move the camera, zoom in or out, maybe tilt it a little if I feel extra rebellious. ;)

Not strictly true, but it's minimal

zhQxExt.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/5zidtl/join_our_ama_with_the_developers_of_horizon_zero/

The irony of this post is that it just proove the thread's point even more. The game is unchanged in photo mode, so calling them bullshots is rather complimentary. One of the best looking screenshots I've seen looks like a straight gameplay shot.

Synth

Well, it's not news, as someone else already told me. :p

The irony of this post is that it just proove the thread's point even more. The game is unchanged in photo mode, so calling them bullshots is rather complimentary. One of the best looking screenshots I've seen looks like a straight gameplay shot.

It doesn't really prove the threads point tbh. HZD is imo the best looking game there is right now, so the fact that the shots look great isn't surprising. That doesn't mean that it looks identical to the reveal trailer however.

I was more commenting as a general rule, as photomode shots have been replacing screenshots in general on here. HZD is an apparent exception.

Thats not exclusive to photomode, though. Same thing is true when you just don't move during gameplay.
All the things standing still will benefit from the temporal techniques used more over time(couple of frames)
Foliage is usually moving, though.

But compare a gameplay shot of foliage to a photomode shot of foliage. I can't see a difference.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
the new stealth grass is easy to spot for its distinctive style and color. Gotta side with GG for making that decision even though they could've gone with the other one.
I'm not talking about the design. I am talking about the physics and hit detection that moves the grass around Aloy as she moves. It makes no difference what design the grass has. They could have put the same physics in the current design, but instead you just clip through it. That is the downgrade. So when you look at the picture I posted, imagine the current grass moving around as if Aloy was actually in it.

No it didn't. Stop with this crap.

Nice comparison between a room of a tech demo and a giant open world.

Link me the post cause all I see is a massive downgrade.

--

Horizon is technically better than the reveal trailer. Personally, I don't think that's up for debate when you take the framerate into consideration along with what the final game throws at you. The reveal struggled with 1 Thunderjaw. The final game laughs at that.

Tyaren

I'm not talking about the design. I am talking about the physics and hit detection that moves the grass around Aloy as she moves. It makes no difference what design the grass has. They could have put the same physics in the current design, but instead you just clip through it. That is the downgrade. So when you look at the picture I posted, imagine the current grass moving around as if Aloy was actually in it.

But the current stealth grass moves around Aloy as she moves in it...

On Horizon, a few things got downgraded, while some is better in the released game.

The foliage and fog is not as pretty as the reveal trailers, nor is there any interaction between Aloy and most of the foliage but there is a whole lot of improvement when it comes to LOD.

Before foliage only appears when it is around 20-30 meters in front of Aloy.

Papacheeks

Banned
Watching a Youtube vid of the Mass Effect Downgrade made me realise that Horizon is the only game that I can think of that looks as good if not better than its E3 trailers.
Mass Effect Andromeda comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSmkBu4Xxg
Horison Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eX1XJnfyAU
Are there any other games that have come close to their reveal trailers please link if so.

NIOH, NIER, YAKUZA 0, Resident Evil all came out some with issues like Nier's stutters and resolution. But animations,combat, story are all great.

They all looked like what they showed trailer wise way back. No tricks.

Uncharted 4 I would put in that camp, along with Second Son, Until dawn. Bloodborne is the only one because of frame rate that I can see being maybe lumped into downgrade territory?

SomTervo

I think Dying Light did a great job. Besides pre rendered trailers everything they showed was exactly the same upon release.

Great game.

Wait, that's a gameplay shot. It has the blur at the bottom of the image that they (unfortuately) always add to the image during gameplay.

Well I thought it was a gameplay shot but as I did not take it myself, I wasn't sure. Good observation though.

NahaNago

I really do think Sony should expand these companies to make movie versions of the games they make. I mean they already create hours of cut scenes in these games just have somebody put some of them together, tidy them up, create more scenes when necessary, and movie. Shorts for before the game and after would be nice as well. I would say think of the overwatch shorts (even though i haven't watched them but in my defense i'm not in to shooters) and the final fantasy media rush with anime and cg movies. A horizon zero dawn movie with the cut scenes in the game would be pretty much an instant buy for me , infamous second son even if i don't like the main character would be an instant buy as well, and a god of war movie prequel to this game would sell as well especially if the movie is released during the games prerelease marketing blitz. I honestly wish the final fantasy platinum demo was a short film instead of the tutorial .

NahaNago

Big downgrade.

yep, i've been remembering the first trailer and comparing it in my head to the tidbits of gameplay i've seen and thats whats been coming up every time lately. I still think the game looks pretty good and it feels like they changed the style and graphics because the system was too weak.

Quite a lot deliver on the visual concept from announcements, especially regarding Sonys first party offerings of recent years but they still take a hit as those initial reveals are not fully functional games which have more room to use resources or entirely fictitious CGI that use processes not possible in games. The first things to go is usually the frame rate, LOD, shadow quality, reflection quality and overall IQ. I don't think a many games mentioned in the thread manages to hit the same targets as the reveals except for The Order which I thought looked pretty crap initially, that is to be expected really and it is damn impressive how close some get. But we often see improvements in models from reveals as well as a more coherent direction and vision.

Hylian7

Maybe it's another topic for another thread, but given how game development works, I always wonder what developers can really do to prevent "downgrades". Often optimization of a game comes after content, and usually in early reveals content is the focus. One thing they could definitely do is actually mention "Hey the final game might not look like this", but I'm guessing that's not done so they don't jeopardize their game. I feel like the few developers that have done that though suffered less backlash than those that just promised and then downgraded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDOdVAav84

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Wii-U-E3-2014-2.jpg

yeah dude the game totally looks like that

While the game was visually downgraded for sure, it is kind of crazy to me how otherwise, the game lived up to almost everything in that trailer. The only thing other than the visuals was the Guardian smashing the bridge, everything else in that trailer you could still do.

- Riding your horse through a field dodging laser beams
- Laser beams setting fire to grass.
- Vaulting off of horse, and firing arrows at Guardian in slow motion.

LastNac

If you like cinematic games and were ever even curious about The Order, it's definitely one to check out, even if it's just for a single playthrough (it's not that long a game) because, presentation wise, I don't think there's a game that really tops it. Just prepare for the feeling of disappointment that there will never be a sequel to fix the issues the game has.
Well, I'm coming from a place that interprets the term "cinematic" literally, in the sense that it is an adjective as opposed to the misconception that it's a noun. Cinematic=/=Cutscene, it did maybe 10-15 years ago, but as technology has evovled so have the understandings of terms.

Now granted, The Order is entirely too cutscene heavy for my liking and I find that to be a problem. But under the lens of my understanding of cinamtic as a presentational tool, I loved the film grain, the chromatic aberration, and especially LOVED the aspect ratio.

That said, for me there was a criminal underused technique which should have been utilized in a game taylor made to look like a film, and that is the use of composition/dynamic camera angles during game play. There were so many moments in the game that could have been playable if they just pulled the camera back but kept it "on stick."

Wildslands is looking absolutely stunning on PC, especially since all of it is actual environment and not just a skybox. I even think it's looking better than the what Ubisoft showed first

First Screenshots:
GRWE3002.jpg

grw_news_announcement_e3_208994.jpg

Acutal Gameplay:
0Y7O1PC.jpg

2hZyjx9.png

PXb3zBw.jpg

ueVeaBn.png

8Q4xU0t.jpg

xLmiebv.png

tLVpMPw.png

5MQsEyL.png

SomTervo

Yeah, Wildlands is such a looker and a great addition to this thread.

While the game was visually downgraded for sure, it is kind of crazy to me how otherwise, the game lived up to almost everything in that trailer. The only thing other than the visuals was the Guardian smashing the bridge, everything else in that trailer you could still do.

- Riding your horse through a field dodging laser beams
- Laser beams setting fire to grass.
- Vaulting off of horse, and firing arrows at Guardian in slow motion.

Also notice how the volcano is so much smaller in this screen? In the final game the volcano is pretty damn big no matter where you are in the game world.

I wonder if they reduced the world size as they went along.

Cyborg

I think GG dod a great job to delivering a game without any lies/tricks. The game looks absolutly amazing and gameplay matches it.

This and Zelda make 2017 a great year and other games(Nier, Nioh) just complete an amazing year for the PS4.

Top Bottom