• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Horizon ZD the only game this gen that delivered on its early trailers promise

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Lol, seems as if someone hasn't played the game but enjoys nitpicking:

https://youtu.be/-Q-LpMyKWRA?t=35m15s

Don't know whats wrong with that gif.
1) I have a platinum trophy in the game (it's actually the first game I've done that)
2) That is a gif from my actual playthrough.
3) The reason it does that is because when you enter grass it goes through stock waving animation. It's fun if you stand at a corner of a grass area and stand still, then the grass just waves wildly over and over and over because you're triggering the grass entry animation constantly. Anyway, in large areas of grass, as you walk deeper in, it eventually just stops triggering the waving animation. Because it's not actually reacting to the character.

Look. I am not attacking the game. I love the game, but you cannot deny that the physics of the stealth grass in the first pic is much better than what made it into the game. I'm not nitpicking. This is what the thread is. I'm sorry if you think the game has to be considered 100% perfect by all. But yeah.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Wait, that's a gameplay shot. It has the blur at the bottom of the image that they (unfortuately) always add to the image during gameplay.

Whats the reason for that? Making the transition from sceen to off-screen look less harsh or something? Never seen it before

ViolentP

No. Halo 5 has a metacritic Score of 84%. How is this mediocre?

The Order has 63%.

Mediocrity comes in many flavors and many are greatly enjoyed. The idea that you think a metacritic score is at all relevant to an individuals enjoyment of a game is grossly misinformed.

Final build of horizon actually features higher polycount and level of detail. Look how low quality the tall neck is at a somewhat close position. Also pay attention to Aloy's hair, there is more of it and looks to be of higher quality. Water also looks much better in the final game.
22336930518_86fa538ecs0um5.png

horizonzerodawn_20170qdu19.png

Even in a farther position the tall neck still looks better than in 2015.
horizonzerodawn_201704tu4t.png

Final build of horizon actually features higher polycount and level of detail. Look how low quality the tall neck is at a somewhat close position. Also pay attention to Aloy's hair, there is more of it and looks to be of higher quality. Water also looks much better in the final game.

horizonzerodawn_20170qdu19.png

horizonzerodawn_201704tu4t.png

True. The hair, SSS, alphas, transparency and foliage look more realistic and natural in the final build than on the first reveal.

https://abload.de/img/22336930518_86fa538ecs0um5.png[/
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/horizonzerodawn_20170qdu19.png[/IM

[IMG]https://abload.de/img/horizonzerodawn_201704tu4t.png[/IM[/QUOTE]

Yeah and the image quality is much better too (cleaner).

gossi

Ratchet and Clank actually looks better now (4K, HDR) than the trailers. It looks like CGI now. I'm not kidding.

Not pre-rendered it's realtime
Actually, the training montage IS pre-rendered. You cannot enter photo-mode during it and there are compression artifacts. The game also uses a pre-rendered cinematic a few times late in the game, like the ending, and you again cannot enter photomode and it shows Aloy wearing the outfit you start the game with rather than your own.

The only shots that are real-time in that comparison are from when she finds the focus and when she is speaking with Rost, and there we mostly see a change in character design (same as during the CG stuff).

the denial is stronger than ever with this game

If you mean I'm denying that the first trailer looks nothing like the game, I'm not, because that was obviously a target render (yet one that I think approached the general look of the game more accurately than most). I mean, the animations are quite obviously ad-hoc.

If you mean I'm denying that the screenshots used in the video linked above are representative of the game rather than cherry picked to make the game look worse than it is, you need only Google pics of the final game to see how they are.

I'm also not denying the game has serious technical issues, at least on Wii U: primarily framerate and aliasing. Frankly I would have preferred if the game looked even simpler and held a steadier framerate, but I understand the desire to push the limits to make the Switch version look better.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Actually, the training montage IS pre-rendered. You cannot enter photo-mode during it and there are compression artifacts. The game also uses a pre-rendered cinematic a few times late in the game, like the ending, and you again cannot enter photomode and it shows Aloy wearing the outfit you start the game with rather than your own.

The only shots that are real-time in that comparison are from when she finds the focus and when she is speaking with Rost, and there we mostly see a change in character design (same as during the CG stuff).
The mountain climbing sequence at the proving is also pre rendered. Using pre-rendered im engine cutscenes isn't an issue as it's mostly to preserve performance with all those camera transitions, no idea why some are offended by it being pointed out tho.

Zojirushi

Holy shit at that draw distance in Wildlands. How do they do that, even games like Witcher 3 look like complete ass and lose all detail further in the distance.

Gestault

The mountain climbing sequence at the proving is also pre rendered. Using pre-rendered im engine cutscenes isn't an issue as it's mostly to preserve performance with all those camera transitions, no idea why some are offended by it being pointed out tho.

I think many don't realize how common/frequent it's been through the two most recent generations. In PC titles you notice it more quickly just on account of the gap in IQ between compressed video and normal gameplay, but unless a scene has characters with custom appearances, it's not always in-your-face that it's being used.

Trouble

Banned

Two tallnecks in one location. Shipping game didn't deliver that.

#failure

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I just bought it in the PSN 'Only on PlayStation' sale. Bought it on release, played & finished but I occasionally wanna get dat eye candy, especially the Agamemnon level.

That was definitely gorgeous. Overall, the game is such a visual showpiece. I'd have loved to have seen a PS4 Pro patch, but that's probably never gonna happen. I also wouldn't have minded some story based DLC in lieu of a sequel. We needed at least another two or three chapters of story.

I play it time to time. I think it's great. Really wish there was a sequel. I mean Knack for cryin out loud gets a sequel.......

It always bummed me out that it didn't get a sequel.

Top Bottom