• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Horizon Zero Dawn going to be the next big gaming disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I got a little christmas money and was looking on amazon to pre order about 2 games. I don't really normally pre order games anymore, outside of a 3DS title or two or a sport game, I don't think i've pre ordered a game since Fallout 4, and I played that for maybe 5 hours until I just didn't want to anymore.

I know I want Persona 5, so as to the second game, it comes down to Tales of Beseria, Nioh and Horizon. Tales looks like the last 4 Tales games so i'll probably pick that up when it drops to $15 in a few months like they normally do. Nioh seems like a game that will completely waste my time, even though I love the way it looks, and even after beating a game like Dark Souls 2, I just don't want to sit and play a game where it takes me 20 minutes just to get past the first enemy or two. I'll probably just end up watching that on twitch and picking it up later in the year for cheap as well.

Horizon Zero Dawn was a game that caught my attention the moment I saw it during E3 (2015?), however I feel like we've seen more from Mass Effect Andromeda, a game that may not release until Q3 or Q4 2017, than we have out of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Is it just me or has there been a lack of gameplay trailers, a lack of information about the story, combat system, or any other elements?

Maybe i'm just out of the loop, maybe all of this stuff came out and I just missed it. But it just seems that this game is allegedly coming out at the end of Feburary and not a whole lot is known. That's kind of scary to me considering how people got screwed over with their expectations of No Man's Sky.

Not i'm not saying that we are being sold a dream that was never going to materialize as what happened with that particular game. But it just seems to me that not much is out there on Horizon.

So am I missing something or are they hiding the ball on this game?

ckaneo

There is plenty of gameplay.

The game looks great in setting, gameplay, and story.

It's the open world that has me worried. Open world's usually aren't good. If games were more condensed they would be better. We shall see.

blackflag

It looks beautiful and amazing.....but it's from Guerilla so yea maybe.

I'm holding out hope but keeping expectations in check.

Im still waiting on reviews and see what everyone thinks. It looks amazing, just not sure if the gameplay will be fun and if the story will be interesting going by from what Ive seen so far

DNAbro

What a weird thing to think. What are you expecting from the game? I thought the trailers have shown enough and I don't want to see anymore.

The games had a few on stage demos and it's been playable by the press and public a few times now.

I can understand concern, as with any game. And while I don't think Horizon is safe from being a bad game, I don't think its current media exposure is a valid cause for concern.

newjeruse

There's a ton of Horizon gameplay out there. Apparently more than you think. And who can possibly know if it's going to be a disappointment? It looks great but stranger things have happened.

Giolon

Seems like we have this same thread every month for Horizon.

Game seems like it'll be great. Guerilla has a pretty good track record. There's been long form gameplay footage released, and it looks really fun.

We definitely have not seen more from Mass Effect Andromeda. There is about an hour of footage of gameplay out there for Horizon Zero Dawn for you to check out. The game doesn't release for another two months though so just wait for some early impressions or reviews if you are concerned.

I think it at worst it will be good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Impressions from the public demos have been quite positive. It sounds like the combat and enemy AI are in good shape.

Tagyhag

Nah, gameplay-wise it looks great.

That said, it doesn't mean that it's 100% a surefire hit.

This is Guerrila's first open world game, with that , we don't know how they'll address everything to make sure it's fun. Writing, characters, and storytelling aren't also their strong suit so if you're looking for that you probably won't find it here.

We've seen quite a lot of gameplay though, and like I said, it's all looking great, so if what you see in the game looks good, then I see no reason to worry. It might not be GOTY, but I don't think it's going to be NMS level of disappointment.

I just really hope they hit locked 30fps on the Pro.

My feeling is that it will be an okay game, looks good and tries to get something deeper in terms of atmosphere and narrative, but in the end it will fall short. Judging based solely on current media and what I played of their Killzone games, this is my impression. Lots of tech, and fancy art, but lacks in... heart.

I hope I am wrong though.

Hupsel

I hope not.

But yeah, its Guerrilla... and Killzone is not so good (
it´s terrible
).
Combat looks cool, but I will wait for the reviews.

I played a demo at the EB Expo and it was OK. It feels like it indulges in way too much in the Ubisoft Open World Template™ with a lot of map markers and crafting. The combat fares a bit better, kind of like what a lightweight big-budget version of Monster Hunter would be, with an emphasis on trapping and using specific types of ammo. It still feels a bit loose to control. Granted, this was all a demo, but still, be skeptical.

I swear to God if the big twist of this game is that Aloy is a half human half machine though...

Jeiiya

I'm super excited about the world and setting (freakin' robot dinosaurs!), but with open world games I'm always cautious about getting too hyped.

kunonabi

The footage, the developer, and Sony's track record for their first-party stuff make it very likely that the game will be mediocre. That said, I don't think the reception will really reflect that and most people will probably like it.

I think it'll mostly succeed at what it sets out to do. I'm slightly worried for enemy variety though. The enemy designs seems rather complex and there's such an emphasis on fidelity that I wonder just how many enemy designs they can put out since the combat seems to live or die based on that.

Skeeter49

In what world do you live in where we've seen more of Mass Effect than Horizon?
The breakdown is 4 game play trailers of Horizon, and 2 story trailers.

I doubt it'll disappoint but who knows, everything on it so far has looked amazing.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
What a weird thing to think. What are you expecting from the game? I thought the trailers have shown enough and I don't want to see anymore.

I'm expecting it to be the next big franchise for PlayStation personally. At least they've been marketing it that way since it was announced. I expect it to be the game that aligns itself with the GOWs and the uncharteds of the PlayStation brand.

Like everyone else here said: there's a lot of videos with Horizon gameplay out there, not just trailers.

And to answer your question: we will never know for sure until a game launches if it's a dissapointment or not but, so far, I can tell you Horizon is looking amazing and checking all my boxes.

Could it be a let down? Sure. Is it going to be one? Smart money says it probably won't be.

RexNovis

Banned
I think it will be a very paint by the numbers game when it comes to it's open world design complete with all those Ubi factory staples which some people like but I personally can't say I care for.

Whether or not it will be seen as a disappointment by critics I think hinges heavily on how well the story is told, delivered and executed in the game. If the narrative falls flat I think that'll sink it. Luckily I think the narrative shows a lot of promise but I might be a bit biased since the underlying concept reminds me a lot of one of my own favorite short stories minus the robot Dinosaurs mind you. Here's to hoping GG manages to knock it out of the park this time.

Edit: In repsonse to your statements about not seeing much from the game... Yea thats nuts. We've seen loads of stuff from the game at this point. There are ample quantities of gameplay available to view online and while I do think they are playing certain mechanics and story elements a but close to the chest but I can understand why with it being a story focused new IP

PlayerOne

Banned
I
Horizon Zero Dawn was a game that caught my attention the moment I saw it during E3 (2015?), however I feel like we've seen more from Mass Effect Andromeda, a game that may not release until Q3 or Q4 2017, than we have out of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Is it just me or has there been a lack of gameplay trailers, a lack of information about the story, combat system, or any other elements?

Maybe i'm just out of the loop, maybe all of this stuff came out and I just missed it. B

No

Yes

Yes

Venfayth

I think it says something that this is the studio and engine Kojima chose to work with.

But if history has taught us anything: don't preorder games.

The footage, the developer, and Sony's track record for their first-party stuff make it very likely that the game will be mediocre. That said, I don't think the reception will really reflect that and most people will probably like it.

So basically Sony published game are not good to you but you can at least acknowledge that other people like them. I guess that's something.

I don't think it will be. Even if the first game doesn't deliver on the full potential, this is exactly the type of game we should want more of. They are going to have a really exciting foundation from which to continue building from once they complete this game. I don't think it's going to be a disappointment.

No

Yes

Yes
Oh shit haha it didn't sink in that first paragraph fully:

You're living under a rock if you think we've seen more about ME Andromeda than Horizon.

ME:A got its first proper gameplay reveal at the PS4 Pro conference three months ago. We've seen trailers and gameplay videos about Horizon since at least E3 2015

Alucrid

Banned
Maybe i'm just out of the loop, maybe all of this stuff came out and I just missed it. But it just seems that this game is allegedly coming out at the end of Feburary and not a whole lot is known. That's kind of scary to me considering how people got screwed over with their expectations of No Man's Sky.

christmas money doesn't expire. if you're "scared" you can always wait 24 hours after the game is released to see how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom