• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Horizon Zero Dawn going to be the next big gaming disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the game looks great visually, the gameplay videos don't look very good, also it's made by guerrilla, so, if you are expecting much i'd say, yeah, there's a big chance it will disappoint.

I_D

If you're truly worried about a game, just wait until it reviews come out. Or, even better, wait until you can try it out.

It looks, to me, most similarly to a better version of Far Cry Primal. Whether that constitutes a disappointment or not will be up to you.

Zackat

Seen more MA: Andromeda than this game? whaaaa?

I don't want to see anymore from this game until it releases, we've seen so much.

People will get hyped for it, make those "Anyone else super hyped for Horizon?" threads that become a huge echo chamber of positivity, and then the actual game will come out and will like most open-world games, having a diverse environment while you do the same type of quests for 20 hours.

Jeiiya

If I want anything from this game, it's high quality figures (not statues) of the robotic animals you see. If anything, this should just be a Monster Hunter-style game.

If anything they are showing TOO MUCH of the game. Nothing we've seen of the game looks like it is going to disappoint though. The only reason I remain skeptical is because I'm burned out on Open World games. Also, as others have mentioned, it is being made by Guerilla, who have a decent track record but generally aren't considered a top tier developer (which could change depending on how this game turns out)

Wait for reviews, I'm excited but maybe some studios are suited for different game types.

Maybe Guerrilla should of been doing RPGs all along rather than FPS?

I think this upcoming game can be huge for Sony if the reviews are great...

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's from Guerilla, so chances are yes, it'll disappoint just like every other game of theirs. It's what they do.

Disxo

Wait for reviews OP, it indeed looks good, like every other guerilla game.
But
Guess how that turned out earlier!

Debatable, on one hand, I have never heard universal acclaim from a Guerrilla Games title

On the other hand what has been shown has been quite interesting, mechanics look like fun and the story is fascinating to me.

So...maybe?

People will get hyped for it, make those "Anyone else super hyped for Horizon?" threads that become a huge echo chamber of positivity, and then the actual game will come out and will like most open-world games, having a diverse environment while you do the same type of quests for 20 hours.

Well I think the X factor for H:ZD is the gameplay / possibilities... we haven't seen anything quite this wild yet

newjeruse

Debatable, on one hand, I have never heard universal acclaim from a Guerrilla Games title

On the other hand what has been shown has been quite interesting, mechanics look like fun and the story is fascinating to me.

So...maybe?
Didn't KZ2 Metacritic 92 or 93?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
gameplay is the last thing i worry about in a KZ game, its everything else that falls short.

Generally speaking, they have really beefed up their staff and hired new writers, so even if you want to be cautious, i don't think going in expecting the game to fail and be terrible makes sense.

At worst, it'll be a fun game which the big negative is that it is an open world game in an environment that is almost all tired out of open world conventions, even after thinking it was the future of everything a few years ago.

I won't consider it a failure because of that

While the game looks great visually, the gameplay videos don't look very good, also it's made by guerrilla, so, if you are expecting much i'd say, yeah, there's a big chance it will disappoint.

Except everyone who has actually played the game has gushed about how great it controlled, the combat, and the enemy AI.

It looks really good....but I can't trust a game from a company that hasn't made a good in over 10 years. Sorry it's true.

"Sorry it's true" ?

Your OPINION isn't objective fact.

Lots of people liked Killzone Liberation, Killzone 2, and even Killzone 3. Those are not bad games, by any stretch of the imagination. Liberation is often in the top ten PSP conversations, and Killzone 2 is one of the greatest FPS campaigns ever.

So, don't be sorry, because it's just your opinion and not much else. It's not "true" at all.

So...maybe?

Not being a smartass, but:

VpuBqTP.png

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/killzone-2

Also - Killzone 3 and Mercenary were no slouches, and this game looks way better than any of them (all differences aside)

Venfayth

KZ2 and 3 both did well, shadow fall significantly less so. You might be heartened to hear that Horizon Zero Dawn is being directed by the same person who did KZ2 and 3: Mathijs De Jonge.

Again, wait for reviews and impressions, but I don't think we have reason to expect this game to be a disappointment outside of general anxiety caused by No Man's Sky.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Horizon is going to be excellent but there will be a few negatives because of it's open world structure but not to where you would want to stop playing the game. My two negatives based on gameplay videos is 1) no mini-map which to me, for an open world RPG is a must have and 2) climbing the big dinomechs which appear to be side quests and is what are used to open up all the stuff on the map.

I can easily accept 2 if it's only for a few times in the entire game. No mini-map is my big negative. Fucking hate RPGs with a fucking compass instead of a mini-map. Just ugh.

Nah, gameplay-wise it looks great.

That said, it doesn't mean that it's 100% a surefire hit.

This is Guerrila's first open world game, with that , we don't know how they'll address everything to make sure it's fun. Writing, characters, and storytelling aren't also their strong suit so if you're looking for that you probably won't find it here.

We've seen quite a lot of gameplay though, and like I said, it's all looking great, so if what you see in the game looks good, then I see no reason to worry. It might not be GOTY, but I don't think it's going to be NMS level of disappointment.

I just really hope they hit locked 30fps on the Pro.

Which is why you hire people who ARE strong in those areas, like former Obsidian and CD Projekt Red writers, and that's exactly what Guerrilla did. Based on what information we have, there's no reason to make major assumptions like that.

So...maybe?

I've never heard universal acclaim for any game.

Anyway, this has to be like the third or fourth thread on this exact (ridiculous) question, right? Seems kinda concern trollish.

Loxley

All of the impressions I've read so far have been nothing but glowing. I also feel like Guerilla have been surprisingly reserved when discussing the game - meaning that they haven't been out there over-promising or talking a big game about Horizon and then not showing any footage of it - there's plenty of gameplay out there to dissect.

N° 2048

Except everyone who has actually played the game has gushed about how great it controlled, the combat, and the enemy AI.

Pretty much why I know I'll like it. Every person I follow in gaming that has tried it says it's great.

I'm pretty sure I will enjoy Horizon for many hours.

Where did the narrative that Guerrilla makes bad games come from? The first Killzone is the only game from them you could really call bad.

Tagyhag

Which is why you hire people who ARE strong in those areas, like former Obsidian and CD Projekt Red writers, and that's exactly what Guerrilla did. Based on what information we have, there's no reason to make major assumptions like that.

Right, but I like my way of assuming, keeps expectations on check.

Thinking "Well, they hired some people that worked at other companies, now there's zero chance the writing will be bad" is a good way to set yourself up for disappointment.

Where did the narrative that Guerrilla makes bad games come from? The first Killzone is the only game from them you could really call bad.

Yo, Shellshock suuuuucked.

I still want a really good Vietnam War singleplayer game.

Only a tiny minority actually really liked the 4 Killzone games.

The fact that Guerrilla never figured out over 4 games that an FPS is from the perspective of the character, not their gun, which is why you always appear to be 3 feet tall in Killzone, is still one of the most baffling design decisions in gaming.

Nah, the game will be good. It is more a question of how good at this point. That will come from narrative design, quest design, overall structure, etc...

Black_Red

Probably, I know they hired some new people. But this is still a guerrilla games RPG. Even if they made some right decisions with some of the killzone games, I dont think they can keep a game (and its story) interesting for more than 6 hours.

Only a tiny minority actually really liked the 4 Killzone games.

The fact that Guerrilla never figured out over 4 games that an FPS is from the perspective of the character, not their gun, which is why you always appear to be 3 feet tall in Killzone, is still one of the most baffling design decisions in gaming.

What on Earth is this

KZ2 was amazing, and I only even found out about it after buying KZ3 and loving it (played with the move + gun.. aw yiss) .... I thought both were well-loved

And KZ: Mercs on Vita is unanimously praised anytime Vita games are discussed btw (loved it)

plidex

The most important question to answer... why preorder?

You have some sort of addiction that you are afraid you are going to spend the money? Otherwise I don't know why you wouldn't wait until the game releases. Especially if you have doubts about it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The most important question is :

What is the barometer for disappointment? What would they need to do or not do to be considered that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom