• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it legal and/or moral to buy games and then pirate them without ever opening them?

BibiMaghoo

so you're basically just dumb, since the point of piracy is to play games for free but you just went out and bought it.

That is a very narrow view.

People pirate games for lots of reasons. Many do it to remove DRM, others might because a game cannot be purchased in their country, or is an edited / censored version. Some do so to use a disc free version of the game, others still as backups.

It is not always about being stingy with money, far from it, though many do so for free games.

Kyoufu

image.php

I have no idea what this is but it made me laugh.

JeTmAn81

I did this with a bunch of DS games. Since I had a flashcart, it was much more convenient to just play the downloaded version, but I didn't want to rip off the developers so I bought a new copy and let it sit in shrink wrap.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To clear up to everyone what it is, here is the original image i made that it's from.

isnihbRM8MxNe.gif

I feel like that avatar as ambiguous enough that it wouldn't really be NSFW.

I think there's nothing wrong with lending a game to your friend. But when you lend a copy of a game to a friend AND they have purchased the game through retail but haven't opened it...that's when it starts to get a bit fishy.

So wait. Leding a game to a friend is moral only if they DON'T already have a physical copy of the game?

Good to know, I guess.

Is this from this thread? News to me. I want to be clear and say I've not come to Ronito and done one of those anonymous confessions in that thread in the OT. So bringing that up is in parallel but is also neither here or there. We're not out here to go on witch hunt so let's just keep it as concise to the points in the OP as we can. I don't want to branch out too far from that but it would be a good separate discussion but not for the reasons of looking to go on a hunt for those who have downloaded illegal copies of a game.

It was a joke. I just read Ronitos post and then I saw this thread.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
That is a very narrow view.

People pirate games for lots of reasons. Many do it to remove DRM, others might because a game cannot be purchased in their country, or is an edited / censored version. Some do so to use a disc free version of the game, others still as backups.

It is not always about being stingy with money, far from it, though many do so for free games.

i am unsympathetic to all of those. games with bad DRM shouldn't be supported at all, piracy or not.

Game can't be purchased in their country? Import it if it is that important. Or use a proxy.

Edited/Censored version? Guess you're just out of luck. Buy the game on Steam through a US proxy, i'm sure thats easy enough.

I might be able to understand backups, but it really isn't something to be supportive of either when you have services like Steam, and if you are really apprehensive about that sort of thing, Steam is there for you.

Top Bottom