• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it true that cheating is more accepted in Latin American culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

Wikipedia says:
  • The seven-continent model is usually taught in China, India, the Philippines, parts of Western Europe and most English-speaking countries, including Australia and England
  • The six-continent combined-Eurasia model is mostly used in Russia, Eastern Europe, and Japan.
  • The six-continent combined-America model is used in Spanish-speaking countries and in some parts of Europe, including Greece (equivalent 5 inhabited continents model – i.e. excluding Antarctica – still also found in texts).

Oh. Thanks for the info. I'll read that.

Anjelus_

Uh, I'm fairly certain that recognizing North America and South America as separate continents is not exclusively a United States thing.

It's not. The 7-continent model is standard in geography. Some geographers a 6-continent model, but that combines Europe and Asia. The Americas are considered two continents in most of the world, although my understanding is they're (incorrectly) taught as one in some Latin American countries.

Africanus

I think he's talking about "Iberoamerica"
North and South America.
Central and south america. Some people separate them.
Mexico is part of North America. Surprised it took so long for somebody to explain this correctly. Spain could never be considered part of Latin America.

To a point, most of you are correct. Although, a few corrections. I'm not in the mind of separating Central America from the North America. I would simply say North America. Of course, even if one does, Mexico and Puerto Rico are surely part of Latin America.
Also Ibero-America refers to countries of the Americas that are former colonies/territories of Portugal and Spain (of the Iberian peninsula).

Altazor

There is no single "latin american culture". And as a chilean, no, it isn't accepted. Cheating sucks.

despite the "macho" elements still prevalent in each society in varying degrees. Some people still believe that a male philanderer is a "winner" and a female one is a "slut".

EDIT: Not taking part in the "2 or 1 continents" debate.
EDIT 2: Cheating in Chile is widespread but still frowned upon. It's kind of a weird clash between libertine attitudes and (catholic) traditional morality. Pretty much "it's OK to cheat until you get caught, but don't mention it to anybody"

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yes (compared to the US), but not close to the extent it is accepted in France:
FT_Hollande_Affairs.png

I'm kind of curious about France and Germany now. I imagine people there get jealous and typically trend towards monogamous relationships like everyone else. Is it the wording of the question including the word "morally" throwing it off? Like they're more okay with polyamorous relationships as long as those are the terms of the relationship?

Avixph

To a point, most of you are correct. Although, a few corrections. I'm not in the mind of separating Central America from the North America. I would simply say North America. Of course, even if one does, Mexico and Puerto Rico are surely part of Latin America.
Also Ibero-America refers to countries of the Americas that are former colonies/territories of Portugal and Spain (of the Iberian peninsula).
What about Dominican Republic?

ZiZ

I don't think it would be acceptable in most cultures.
Though, It could be more common in some than others.

Jeff-DSA

Living in Chile for a couple of years, it always blew my mind how common men cheating on their wives and girlfriends was. It felt like the norm rather than the exception. I kid you not, most men cheat down there.

Nander

I'm kind of curious about France and Germany now. I imagine people there get jealous and typically trend towards monogamous relationships like everyone else. Is it the wording of the question including the word "morally" throwing it off? Like they're more okay with polyamorous relationships as long as those are the terms of the relationship?

I don't think most people would classify relations part of a polyamorous relationship "affairs", though.

society is okay with men getting away with it while women cannot, women get more scrutiny

but then you get those news stories of a woman getting revenge on her man by chopping off his wee-wee

Africanus

What about Dominican Republic?

It's very odd what is considered as "North" versus "Central" America, which is why I would just say North for the entirety of it. I believed North America to be Canada, U.S.A., and Mexico, however it appears I was incorrect in considering Caribbean islands as Central America.

spekkeh

Banned
Yes. Mostly northwest Europe considers it a private matter. They wouldn't allow it themselves, but what others do in their relationship is their business.

Edit: in France it's kind of culturally accepted with power though. So many presidents have had extramarital affairs it comes with the territory.

bengraven

Not going to be examples for all of course, but where I came from there was a very large percentage of Mexican immigrants.

Men came to America to work and would cheat on their wives who were still in Mexico all the time. I would hear about this frequently and sometimes even heard that the wives knew about it. I knew a guy who was cheating on his wife who was still in America and she was okay with it (because the other woman was white and she bought her "Latin lover" as she said, gifts that he would then share with his wife).

Kreed

Latin America is a very large area, spanning two continents and 588 million people. As such, be wary of generalizations based on anecdotes.

Exactly. Especially when you're only taking into account 4 countries with anecdotal evidence.

Wikipedia says:
  • The seven-continent model is usually taught in China, India, the Philippines, parts of Western Europe and most English-speaking countries, including Australia and England
  • The six-continent combined-Eurasia model is mostly used in Russia, Eastern Europe, and Japan.
  • The six-continent combined-America model is used in Spanish-speaking countries and in some parts of Europe, including Greece (equivalent 5 inhabited continents model – i.e. excluding Antarctica – still also found in texts).

I learned something new today. Thank you for posting this.

Somewhere around 50-70% of the people in the US also cheat on their spouse, but they just don't admit it as freely. Cheating is very common in every culture.

Raptor

That was probably some dude that thinks he is all that for fucking with another women.

Is not accepted but is very fucking common that is not strange to see it everywhere.

spekkeh

Banned
Not going to be examples for all of course, but where I came from there was a very large percentage of Mexican immigrants.

Men came to America to work and would cheat on their wives who were still in Mexico all the time. I would hear about this frequently and sometimes even heard that the wives knew about it. I knew a guy who was cheating on his wife who was still in America and she was okay with it (because the other woman was white and she bought her "Latin lover" as she said, gifts that he would then share with his wife).
I don't think that's a Mexican thing. Lowly educated (season) workers, fishermen and soldiers have been doing that pretty much everywhere throughout history.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
White people do it so I guess it's ok for us minorities to do it as well

RM8

What. What what what. What. Nope.

Mexican here. So many GAF experts in Latin American culture (which is clearly very homogeneous, we speak Spanish and stuff).

More modern latinos, no. No way. Especially those in the US and modern latin areas. But in more traditional culture it gets more complicated.

In a lot of traditional latin families, a woman is raised to serve her future husband and have children. The man has a lot more power in the relationship and the woman is basically not allowed to leave him, or she will be faced with a significant amount of persecution from family. Even widowed women could be mistreated by their family for remarrying years later. Depends on the family and their roots but it is not uncommon.

This leads to situations where the man is cheating and the woman can basically do nothing about it but angrily and begrudgingly accept it. Knowing this, some women were even raised to not think of it as a huge deal and to think of it as more of a party foul but I think that line of thinking has become pretty rare in recent times.

So no, it isn't really accepted on a cultural scale and is still going to piss a lot of people off, but it is kept much more quiet and sometimes not much is done about it if it happens. This makes it much more common sometimes simply because people can get away with it easier.
Women do cheat as well but if they get caught then shit goes down hardcore.

And just in case, please don't take any of this as my personal support of any of it. I'm just relaying what I've learned from being in relationships with people from families like this. It's old outdated belief leftovers from 50 years ago and I think the majority have started to leave them behind.

Ivieto

Banned
50 years ago? Maybe.

I am a Costa Rican that just move to the US, and I think the rates of cheating are about the same.

bengraven

I don't think that's a Mexican thing. Lowly educated (season) workers, fishermen and soldiers have been doing that pretty much everywhere throughout history.

That's kind of what I was thinking and was going to mention that. Have been watching MASH a lot lately. :p

jerry1594

Why would you consider it one continent? It has two clearly distinct continental shelves and is only connected by a tiny silver of land. Do you consider Africa and Asia to be one continent?

Edit: Because of this I view Asia and Europe as one continent, so there's:
North america
South america
Eurasia
Africa
Australia
and Antartica (?) Apparently under the ice its a cluster of small islands, so maybe not Antartica.
There's a landmass under antarctica. Were the ice to melt it would rise above sea level

Colombian here. Never have I ever heard that my culture is more accepting of cheating. Colombia is like largely catholic and has a lot of conservative values. Cheating is a no no.

Cuyejo

In lower classes it definitely is, I think it also has to do with the rampant machismo that's associated with latino culture. But then women also do it. I don't understand, I think sometimes my culture sucks and people are for the most part stupid, dunno, lots of free time I guess.

jerry1594

In lower classes it definitely is, I think it also has to do with the rampant machismo that's associated with latino culture. But then women also do it. I don't understand, I think sometimes my culture sucks and people are stupid, dunno.
Uh, no.

Zoolader

Somewhere around 50-70% of the people in the US also cheat on their spouse, but they just don't admit it as freely. Cheating is very common in every culture.

Is there some type of data to support that or are those just percentages that dropped from your butthole?

Cuyejo

I live in a rural part of Costa Rica during vacations, so that's what I got while talking with the people around here... and also some first hand experiences, so yeah, it's true at least here. Also gossip is a way of living here too.

akira28

So I've heard. It's kind of expected, or at least suspected a lot. But then again them gals like to cut your dick off so....

This is not to do with Latin America, but my friends from Hungary tell me that if a married man doesn't have a girlfriend on the side, he's probably gay. They're only partially joking.

sestrugen

As a Guatemalan, cheating is prevalent, like in many cultures around the world. Machismo culture is rampant and boasting about your conquests is something that causes admiration (disgusting).

Socioeconomic and educational circumstances are a common cause for this problem. In my observations I have find that men who are well educated and have good jobs tend to cheat a lot on their companions but the women (who are mostly the ones being cheated on) decide to stay with them due to financial security, social status and religious beliefs.

Nobody talks about it but everybody knows that it happens.

Toxoplasmosis might have something to do with it, if it is true. It's said to affect a high % of the population in countries like Brazil. Men become more aggressive/confrontational (the famous latin american "temper") and women become promiscuous, because that is what the host parasite wants... It spreads by social interaction.

I read somewhere that it "proves" that men are more natural violent and women are prmiscuous or polymonogamous by design, but there was not a shed of evidence to confirm that.

Some more about it; http://www.viewzone.com/toxo.html

The key thing here is that you can get this brain parasite and not be affected by it. The effects are also subtle. you can have it your entire life without knowing, and since it spreads from cat shit, millions of people are walking around with it. It's pretty crazy stuff. But also interesting!

EDIT:

Yeah, according to wiki its big in Latin America;

"T. gondii infections occur throughout the world, although infection rates differ significantly by country.[63] For women of childbearing age, a survey of 99 studies within 44 countries found the areas of highest prevalence are within Latin America (about 50–80%), parts of Eastern and Central Europe (about 20–60%), the Middle East (about 30-50%), parts of Southeast Asia (about 20–60%), and parts of Africa (about 20–55%).[63]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

JDSN

Banned
Toxoplasmosis might have something to do with it, if it is true. It's said to affect a high % of the population in countries like Brazil. Men become more aggressive/confrontational (the famous latin american "temper") and women become promiscuous, because that is what the host parasite wants... It spreads by social interaction.

I read somewhere that it "proves" that men are more natural violent and women are prmiscuous or polymonogamous by design, but there was not a shed of evidence to confirm that.

Some more about it; http://www.viewzone.com/toxo.html

The key thing here is that you can get this brain parasite and not be affected by it. The effects are also subtle. you can have it your entire life without knowing, and since it spreads from cat shit, millions of people are walking around with it. It's pretty crazy stuff. But also interesting!
...sigh.. I have no words.

Latin America is a very large area, spanning two continents and 588 million people. As such, be wary of generalizations based on anecdotes.

You're my new favorite poster, Africanus.

And no, OP, it is absolutely not acceptable. You should know better than that.

So if Puerto Rico became a State would that make America part of the Latin American community of nations?

Zoolader

Uhh I just see a poorly written article with the same butthole numbers you gave. Where are the studies or polls she was referring to? You know what never mind, I know it's bull anyways.

Edit:

The data from the National Opinion Research Center's General Social Survey shows that U.S. women who admit to infidelity is at 14.7% and men at 21%. Seems credible but even if the numbers are not correct it's still a far cry from what you posted.

That's a very thinly veiled advertisement though for some other website. I don't see sources or anything.

There are sources out there if you search for how many people cheat in the united states. The thing is it varies wildly by polling method. People don't usually admit that they cheat themselves to strangers. Anonymous polls have shown to have a much greater number of people admitting to cheating than ones done in person.

I live in a rural part of Costa Rica during vacations, so that's what I got while talking with the people around here... and also some first hand experiences, so yeah, it's true at least here. Also gossip is a way of living here too.

It is prevalent behavior in lower class societies all around the world, not just in Latin America.

Leynos

I've posted the story about my grandfather here before, but it is relevant.

He was from El Salvador, and was a wealthy man. And bought the whole machismo thing hook-line-and-sinker. He was highly respected, somewhat feared (refused to visit the US as they would not allow him to bring his gun that was glued to his hip in a holster,) and more than a bit of an asshole. He only married once, to my grandmother, with whom he had six children. That didn't stop him from fathering at least eighteen other children with other women. He wasn't discreet about it either, everyone knew. Especially my blessed grandmother. He would canoodle with women then bring them home to meet his Little Don. Then in the morning, his wife (my grandmother) would have to serve them breakfast. My grandmother was not allowed to leave him, and he warned her that he would kill her if she ever did, and most people take him at his word on this matter as that was the type of person that he was.

He used to line up his legitimate children then beat them with a belt. The reason?

"So that you remember that you still have a father."

My grandfather was eventually killed by his nephew so that my grandfather's niece could get out of a debt to him.

From all the stories told of him, I'm glad that I never met him.

Jeff-DSA

You're my new favorite poster, Africanus.

And no, it is absolutely not acceptable. You should know better than that.

But...you're generalizing as well, just the other direction.

Based on my experience, especially in the rural areas in Chile (I'm speaking ONLY of Chile right now), the men cheated like crazy. It wasn't something that women were happy about, no, but it was something that the majority (yes, the majority) of men were either doing or had done.

Chile was unique though, because getting a divorce was practically impossible. Men would be married, but living with another woman quite often. A lot of that could be blamed on poor laws, which have changed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom