• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it true that cheating is more accepted in Latin American culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no objective definition of what a land-mass requires to be a continent. They're not based on continental plates or oceans other than insofar as the way plates or oceans formed shaped cultural perception of areas - and largely European cultural areas as the continents as we know them are from European literature. As such, they're largely terms defined by frequent useage. South America and North America are fairly frequently described as continents.

I was just explaining why Conmebol talks about South America, in many parts of the world America is considered one continent and North , South and Central subcontinents .

Slayven

Toxoplasmosis might have something to do with it, if it is true. It's said to affect a high % of the population in countries like Brazil. Men become more aggressive/confrontational (the famous latin american "temper") and women become promiscuous, because that is what the host parasite wants... It spreads by social interaction.

I read somewhere that it "proves" that men are more natural violent and women are prmiscuous or polymonogamous by design, but there was not a shed of evidence to confirm that.

Some more about it; http://www.viewzone.com/toxo.html

The key thing here is that you can get this brain parasite and not be affected by it. The effects are also subtle. you can have it your entire life without knowing, and since it spreads from cat shit, millions of people are walking around with it. It's pretty crazy stuff. But also interesting!

EDIT:

Yeah, according to wiki its big in Latin America;

"T. gondii infections occur throughout the world, although infection rates differ significantly by country.[63] For women of childbearing age, a survey of 99 studies within 44 countries found the areas of highest prevalence are within Latin America (about 50–80%), parts of Eastern and Central Europe (about 20–60%), the Middle East (about 30-50%), parts of Southeast Asia (about 20–60%), and parts of Africa (about 20–55%).[63]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis
What next, phrenology ?

Joeytj

Banned
It's not acceptable, even though it happens more in some parts of Latin American culture.

A lot of the Mexican immigrants U.S. residents will bump into come from certain rural, more conservative areas of Mexico that are very different to the urban population that doesn't emigrate out of the country. Most of the young, middle class and even lower middle class Mexicans that reside in the country view cheating just as bad as Americans, although I wouldn't say it's exactly the same of course.

Sometimes, as a middle class Mexican living in a progressive city (Tijuana), I learn more about Mexican rural customs by watching portrayals of Mexican immigrants in American TV.

By watching American TV, you would think that all of Latin America practices "santeria" or "brujería", lives in the dessert or is the exact shade of brown in the face.

Dai101

Banned
My latin bros make me proud here(los que no traicionan a sus esposas)

HJu9Jqk.jpg

"Esta es mi cuba y se toma en florero"

Felipe del Sagrado Corazon de Jesus Calderon Hinojosa
- 2004 - 2012

Siempre sale uno ... , poro me recordo otro.

"Perdi, pero va a haber violencia"
Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador

It is not, and considering a good portion of men are afraid of making their wives angry (at least in Mexico), is far from it.

Metroxed

I'm not Latin American but I have lived in Latin America, and I'd say it is not that it's accepted, but that it is common.

I mean, people will not talk about their affairs as if it were a normal thing, but they're certainly there, they're not exceedingly rare.

Probably not. But what i see and hear from it on tv, maybe yes. At least, for men. Even the mothers want their sons to have lots of women.
This ofcourse is what i see on tv. In fact, it seems in latin america, men will just about fuck anything that has a heartbeat,
Donkeys, ugly old hookers, women, men, whatever is nearest. But again. Just from watching tv.

See, you don't need to visit countries or talk to people. There is plenty you can learn about countries and cultures just from watching tv.

If you like to know more about other cultures, just ask me. I've seen a lot on tv.

Lautaro

Common != accepted. Though my people seem to give less of a shit every day...

¡Malditos latinoamericanos arruinaron Latinoamérica!

AfroMW

Toxoplasmosis might have something to do with it, if it is true. It's said to affect a high % of the population in countries like Brazil. Men become more aggressive/confrontational (the famous latin american "temper") and women become promiscuous, because that is what the host parasite wants... It spreads by social interaction.

I read somewhere that it "proves" that men are more natural violent and women are prmiscuous or polymonogamous by design, but there was not a shed of evidence to confirm that.

Some more about it; http://www.viewzone.com/toxo.html

The key thing here is that you can get this brain parasite and not be affected by it. The effects are also subtle. you can have it your entire life without knowing, and since it spreads from cat shit, millions of people are walking around with it. It's pretty crazy stuff. But also interesting!

EDIT:

Yeah, according to wiki its big in Latin America;

"T. gondii infections occur throughout the world, although infection rates differ significantly by country.[63] For women of childbearing age, a survey of 99 studies within 44 countries found the areas of highest prevalence are within Latin America (about 50–80%), parts of Eastern and Central Europe (about 20–60%), the Middle East (about 30-50%), parts of Southeast Asia (about 20–60%), and parts of Africa (about 20–55%).[63]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

bHpHoRU.gif

From Economist;

All of these suggested effects are obviously bad for the individuals involved, but some researchers go further and propose that entire societies are being altered by Toxoplasma. In 2006 Kevin Lafferty of the University of California, Santa Barbara, published a paper noting a correlation between levels of neuroticism established by national surveys in various countries and the level of Toxoplasma infection recorded in pregnant women (a group who are tested routinely). The places he looked at ranged from phlegmatic Britain, with a neuroticism score of -0.8 and a Toxoplasma infection rate of 6.6%, to hot-blooded France, which scored 1.8 and had an infection rate of 45%. Cross-Channel prejudices, then, may have an unexpected origin.
http://www.economist.com/node/16271339

So France has an even higher rate of Toxoplasmosis, so at least that would make sense why France are so much less indifferent.

Of course I mean.. Look. Over 6 billion people have the parasite. It's quite possible that both you and me have it. It's immune in most people. It's weird though.. To think that so many people have a brain-altering parasite that you can have your entire life.

A patient co uk site says to wash your hands throughly after dealing with cat litter;

Prevention
Hygiene measures, particularly for pregnant women and seronegative immunocompromised patients:[39]

Wash hands before handling food.
Thoroughly wash all fruit and vegetables, including ready-prepared salads, before eating.
Thoroughly cook raw meats and ready-prepared chilled meals.
Wear gloves and thoroughly wash hands after handling soil and gardening.
Avoid cat faeces in cat litter or in soil.
Some countries - eg, France - routinely screen pregnant women for toxoplasmosis. This is not done in the UK or USA, where prevalences are lower. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) antenatal care guidelines and the UK National Screening Committee (NSC) concluded that there was insufficient evidence to recommend screening.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/toxoplasmosis

It was common in the more rural areas of our countries (speaking from experience in Dominican republic)

my grandfather had 16 kids with 4 women. at his funeral they all sat together and took a family photo.

my great grandfather was a dog too. Which is peculiar given his Jewish background.

There's a joke in the town my mother grew up in that if they ever did a paternity test, everyone within the city limits would be related.

But nowadays it's extremely harder to do and to be accepted since the internet keeps people connected and it's harder to keep things like this hidden and out of sight.

Plus economic situations and infrastructure have leaped greatly in the last couple of years, so people are not "forced" to become someone's side dish due to their living situations.

bionic77

There is a freakin website in the US and Europe for cheating on your husband or wife.

I don't think this is just a Latin American problem.

JDSN

Banned
From Economist;

http://www.economist.com/node/16271339

So France has an even higher rate of Toxoplasmosis, so at least that would make sense why France are so much less indifferent.

Of course I mean.. Look. Over 6 billion people have the parasite. It's quite possible that both you and me have it. It's immune in most people. It's weird though.. To think that so many people have a brain-altering parasite that you can have your entire life.

A patient co uk site says to wash your hands throughly after dealing with cat litter;

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/toxoplasmosis

Im expecting Nicholas Wade articles at any second now, maybe some pdf on The Bell Curve to consolidate your comically racist shit? Piss off.

-Eddman-

It's not acceptable, even though it happens more in some parts of Latin American culture.

A lot of the Mexican immigrants U.S. residents will bump into come from certain rural, more conservative areas of Mexico that are very different to the urban population that doesn't emigrate out of the country. Most of the young, middle class and even lower middle class Mexicans that reside in the country view cheating just as bad as Americans, although I wouldn't say it's exactly the same of course.

Thousand times this. In my mexican opinion, Americans should stop thinking Juanito the gardener represents the opinion or ideology of a country of more than 100 million.

Mexicans from rural and poor areas often sell or trade their women for pigs, doesn't mean the country is like that. Lots of people cheat and are macho assholes, but doesn't mean it is accepted, in the same way lots of americans are racist, but doesn't mean it is accepted.

Im expecting Nicholas Wade articles at any second now, maybe some pdf on The Bell Curve to consolidate your comically racist shit? Piss off.

I don't know what any of those things mean. Also comically racist shit? You're gonna have to explain to me why that is so?

Also could you cut back, just a little on the hostile passive-aggressive tone? Makes it nicer to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom