• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it true that cheating is more accepted in Latin American culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toxoplasmosis might have something to do with it, if it is true. It's said to affect a high % of the population in countries like Brazil. Men become more aggressive/confrontational (the famous latin american "temper") and women become promiscuous, because that is what the host parasite wants... It spreads by social interaction.

I read somewhere that it "proves" that men are more natural violent and women are prmiscuous or polymonogamous by design, but there was not a shed of evidence to confirm that.

Some more about it; http://www.viewzone.com/toxo.html

The key thing here is that you can get this brain parasite and not be affected by it. The effects are also subtle. you can have it your entire life without knowing, and since it spreads from cat shit, millions of people are walking around with it. It's pretty crazy stuff. But also interesting!

EDIT:

Yeah, according to wiki its big in Latin America;

"T. gondii infections occur throughout the world, although infection rates differ significantly by country.[63] For women of childbearing age, a survey of 99 studies within 44 countries found the areas of highest prevalence are within Latin America (about 50–80%), parts of Eastern and Central Europe (about 20–60%), the Middle East (about 30-50%), parts of Southeast Asia (about 20–60%), and parts of Africa (about 20–55%).[63]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis
Oh man. This... I don't even.

Caja 117

Oh. Thanks for the info. I'll read that.

Yeah, In my geography class, like every Year I went to school since first grade they teach us, America as one Continent, and not this North America/South America model, I learned that this version existed a couple of days ago actually playing a trivia game.

Im Dominican, and I think like maybe 25 Years ago, it was sort of accepted for the man to cheat even have a complete separate Family, but this is most based on how the mindset was basically the Man provides for the house and the woman needs to stay at home, Cooking and Raising kids. You can see this still happening in remotes areas of DR, but in Cities is not accepted.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Its not more accepted, but it does happen a lot.

The problem is that some men are brought up thinking that its their duty to maintain their wife, and some women are brought up thinking that it's their duty to maintain the house without working.

What ends up happening as the man pulls in all the money is that the man might feel entitled to some side action because he's working so hard.
The women also end up thinking he might deserve some as well.
But this isn't everyone of course. Its not really "acceptable" but it does happen.

studyguy

Que chingados .................?

quién sabe...

Personally it's been instilled into me that the family is central to everything in life. The old raise the young, the young help the old when they become frail, etc. The idea of cheating is not something I've ever considered acceptable within my family. The idea that a man might have a ton of ladies before he locks down on one... okay, but I mean that's not a unique idea. I don't think Catholicism is big on divorce anyhow... The family comes first and foremost.

Salsa

I live in Uruguay. I've had a Venezuelan, a Chilean and an Argentinian girlfriend and they would have killed me just fine

that said I kinda subscribe to "latin american culture doesnt really exist". I mean no one even thinks of Uruguay when latin america is brought up. I feel like we're a part of europe that got lost or something

what is true tho, at least comparing it to where I live, is that after being in Colombia and Venezuela for a month each, I can say that women there are much more open about sexuality

it's just easier to get laid, really

Producer

Toxoplasmosis might have something to do with it, if it is true. It's said to affect a high % of the population in countries like Brazil. Men become more aggressive/confrontational (the famous latin american "temper") and women become promiscuous, because that is what the host parasite wants... It spreads by social interaction.

I read somewhere that it "proves" that men are more natural violent and women are prmiscuous or polymonogamous by design, but there was not a shed of evidence to confirm that.

The key thing here is that you can get this brain parasite and not be affected by it. The effects are also subtle. you can have it your entire life without knowing, and since it spreads from cat shit, millions of people are walking around with it. It's pretty crazy stuff. But also interesting!

EDIT:

"T. gondii infections occur throughout the world, although infection rates differ significantly by country.[63] For women of childbearing age, a survey of 99 studies within 44 countries found the areas of highest prevalence are within Latin America (about 50–80%), parts of Eastern and Central Europe (about 20–60%), the Middle East (about 30-50%), parts of Southeast Asia (about 20–60%), and parts of Africa (about 20–55%).[63]"

lmao

jerry1594

I live in Uruguay. I've had a Venezuelan, a Chilean and an Argentinian girlfriend and they would have killed me just fine

that said I kinda subscribe to "latin american culture doesnt really exist". I mean no one even thinks of Uruguay when latin america is brought up. I feel like we're a part of europe that got lost or something

what is true tho, at least comparing it to where I live, is that after being in Colombia and Venezuela for a month each, I can say that women there are much more open about sexuality
I agree. Its something hollywood made up.

Couldn't really say if it's actually a cultural thing, but my Mexican side of the family (father and all uncles) were all cheaters, each and every one. Yay.

AlexBasch

Some men take pride on it.

I mean no one even thinks of Uruguay when latin america is brought up
Same, that's how I feel about the whole "Latino culture" in the US.

Like, us mexicans dancing to Gloria Stefan, celebrating CINCO DE MAYO, eating lots of "tamale" and whatnot.

It's fine if people with latin american heritage from the US go like that, but whenever I see the whole "latinos" depiction in the media, it's kinda weird to me.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if some americans believe that anything below Texas is the same and one only country.

On topic though, yeah, it's part of the machismo culture that permeates some parts of our culture. It's bad when women, even the elderly, are aware of their cheating husbands and think it's normal. Even the whole 'side family' thing. My grandfather did that, my dad is part of the "other" family, in fact.

Then again, it's funny to see how some women (in the social circles I know) try to justify their cheating, but that's another story.

SimleuqiR

Well, what "unites" us is the language, and to a lesser degree religion (Catholicisms) which kind of effects your upbringing . So it's somewhat easy to groups us all in this "culture".

It's not morally accepted, just people like to justify their actions.

Like my extremely jealous ex wife, according to her it was 100% my fault that she cheated on me

Salsa

Well, what "unites" us is the language, and to a lesser degree religion (Catholicisms) which kind of effects your upbringing . So it's somewhat easy to groups us all in this "culture".

See, that's the thing: there is almost virtually no religion upbringing here. Generation-wise everyone I know is an atheist and comes from an atheist background, at least in the sense that religion had absolutely nothing to do with their childhood or studies, not exaggerating.

When I took those trips I was very surprised at that aspect, for example. Countries here have very, very different cultures. Fact that you didnt know that about Uruguay kinda proves my point.

I can easily say, and even speaking from experience, that people probably have a very different picture in their head about what Uruguay (and other countries around) are truly like.

studyguy

Also gonna cosign the whole there's no sing latin american culture.
What latin country are you talking about? we're not all one brown hivemind. It's all radically different.

Soph

I don't know how much you guys know about Latin culture (I'm an expert), there's a whole underlying problem of shame and blame going on, where Latin wives would be publicly shamed and blamed if they get caught with another man. In contrast: Latin men get cheered and looked up on in social circles if they breed with as many women as possible.

SimleuqiR

See, that's the thing: there is almost virtually no religion upbringing here. Generation-wise everyone I know is an atheist and comes from an atheist background, at least in the sense that religion had absolutely nothing to do with their childhood or studies, not exaggerating.

When I took those trips I was very surprised at that aspect, for example. Countries here have very, very different cultures. Fact that you didnt know that about Uruguay kinda proves my point.

That's why I said to a lesser degree.
And I'm glad to hear Uruguay has dropped religion altogether. Is a step in the right direction.

That being said, I have never met a "Hispanic" from central or south america that I couldn't find something we could relate about.

How difficult was it for you to date a girl from Colombia, or one from Chile, or one from Venezuela? Did you find it difficult to relate to even things you yourself didn't practice in your country?

AlexBasch

It's not really accepted in Mexico, but the men do like to brag about their conquests among friends.
Ugh, yeah.

I mean, if you're some kind of player dude that doesn't trick/disrespect women or is just a damn asshole, then yeah, I have women friends (or is it female friends? damn English, I can say "amigas" without offending anyone) that engage in that same behaviour of flirting with other guys, one night stands and whatnot. It's fine.

However, knowing someone that goes "dude I just fucked this girl" and then you happen to know the girlfriend of that guy? Yeah, fuck you buddy. Had to walk away of a social circle because of that, it's downright shitty.

Ms.Galaxy

My boyfriend's father, who is Mexican, takes pride on it and even encouraged him at one point. He basically said that it's alright to date other women behind your girlfriend's back and if those dates fail you have someone to fall on. To him women are nothing more than objects. He's a huge asshole.

My boyfriend learned a powerful lesson after he cheated on me for two months and now extremely hates his parents.

Salsa

How difficult was it for you to date a girl from Colombia, or one from Chile, or one from Venezuela? Did you find it difficult to relate to even things you yourself didn't practice in your country?

I didnt really find it hard since what made us different was part of what was interesting, but it was definetly very unlike dating a local girl, probably a bigger difference than say a guy from the US dating a Canadian girl, for example. At least that's the impression I have, and why I mean that I think there's a bigger cultural divide here.

Meeting families was incredibly different than what you'd expect. Very different manners, beliefs, ways of thinking, huge etc.

to be clear: im not saying nothing unites us, but I think the things that do are more akin to what unites almost everyone no matter where they're from, with a few exceptions.

It's hard for me to think of two more different countries than Argentina and Mexico, for example. Having been to both.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Also gonna cosign the whole there's no sing latin american culture.
What latin country are you talking about? we're not all one brown hivemind. It's all radically different.
There is a case to be made that countries from the region tend to see each other as "sister countries", unlike in other major blocks.

Bulzeeb

Apparently "the Americas" is the combination of the two in U.S. English.

"America" is a single continent in Spanish, pretty much the rest of the world, and considered the second biggest in the planet.

Sigh.

this reminded me of this
4YKZ7wC.jpg

anyways, as in almost every other country there are some guys who like to brag and talk about them having affairs and stuff but it is not socially acceptable.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I remember when I went to Nicaragua the girls were a lot finer than the Nicaraguan girls in Miami.

Maybe it was the tourist in me though.

jehuty

In the Latin American world I don't think that cheating is accepted anymore than any other culture. It does happen, and when it's discovered the fireworks that happen are quite the sight to see.

As for the Latin culture thing, language is what unites us (and the inescapability of following some sort of Catholic tradition). I think so called Latin culture is more regional anyways. Us dominicans are pretty close to our Caribbean brethren and sometimes darker Central Americans, columbians, and Venezuelans. Music is also the great uniter for us latinos. Bachata and salsa ( merengue and cumbia to a lesser degree) are almost universally danced to and appreciated in the Latin world! Also our dislike of the seta unites us lol ( unless your from Argentina or Uruguay jaja)

Salsa

To be fair I think there's like cultural "sets", if you break it down to Rio de la plata latin america and such

I mean, we're not that different than Argentina, and what Argentina is to us is similar to what Venezuela is to Colombia, and so forth

what's funny is that Uruguay and Paraguay are really, really different in my experience, but people just assume otherwise cause of the naming

EDIT:

lol wtf

As a Brazilian, I can say that cheating is not culturally accepted here (as the chart below proves and Brazil is still a very religious country) but is quite common, unfortunately. And it seems that the richer the men are, the more they cheat.

FT_Hollande_Affairs.png

No. The guys telling you that it is are immoral people, that fact they're from a country in Latin America doesn't mean we're all like them. Don't generalize OP.

No. The guys telling you that it is are immoral people, that fact they're from a country in Latin America doesn't mean we're all like them. Don't generalize OP.

Your wrong. Cheating is part of our culture, embrace it. Don't be a malinchista

"El que no tranza no avanza..." -Benito Juárez, 1868

RM8

guys, it's "quite common" as it is "quite common" everywhere
No. Cat-shit-powered Latino Heat makes us serial cheaters :(

We often cheat on our partners even while dancing, playing soccer or visiting our huge families. It can't be helped, really.

EDIT:

wut?

tlstls

Banned

Maybe because Uruguay was part of Brazil.. I don't feel part of Latin America ask any Brazilian, the rest of The Americas is so different from us.

Also I know people who cheat (man and woman).

Africanus

So if Puerto Rico became a State would that make America part of the Latin American community of nations?

I refer again to the Ibero-America definition, which accounts for Puerto Rico as a former colony of Spain.
However, the United States of America, although not traditionally counted as part of Latin America, may indeed have valid claim to the title; given the history of Florida and the South-Western states which consisted of the Viceroy of New Spain. As the Latino/Hispanic population of the United States rises, I feel it shall occur.
You're my new favorite poster, Africanus.

And no, OP, it is absolutely not acceptable. You should know better than that.
Thank you haha.

newsguy

It's certainly more openly spoken about. For example, as a Hispanic male I worked in a predominantly white American workplace. Sure, we knew people cheated, but it was still seen as taboo. Now, since working at 2 different jobs where almost everyone is Hispanic or of Hispanic descent, many more males will speak about cheating openly and wear it as a badge of honor.

Sai-kun

Banned

aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

Las plagas is real...
Te voy hacer picadillo

Morir es vivir!

lkjgh;salkdfjs;kdf i'm dead

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
North , South and Central America are considered subcontinents , like the Indian subcontinent

There's no objective definition of what a land-mass requires to be a continent. They're not based on continental plates or oceans other than insofar as the way plates or oceans formed shaped cultural perception of areas - and largely European cultural areas as the continents as we know them are from European literature. As such, they're largely terms defined by frequent useage. South America and North America are fairly frequently described as continents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom