• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it true that cheating is more accepted in Latin American culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I work with a lot of guys from Mexico, El Salvador, Colombia, and the Dominican Republic, and from what they've told me and from what I've observed, cheating seems to be more socially "accepted." For instance, this one Mexican guy (who is married) flat-out told me that Latinos love their wives/girlfriends and take care of them, but they have other women that they fuck on the side.

Obviously, this is a bizarre concept to me, and I was hoping some of you could elaborate for me and describe your experiences.

nemesun

I wonder how they would feel once they realize their wives/gfs are fucking/taking care of other men behind their backs also.

Dennis

Banned
I am totally sure that macho men from Latin America are totally fine with their wives taking it all the way to Sunday from other guys.

No hypocrites they.

inky

It's part of macho culture, but I wouldn't say it is socially accepted. In fact, I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Africanus

Latin America is a very large area, spanning two continents and 588 million people. As such, be wary of generalizations based on anecdotes.

jerry1594

Not to my knowledge. But I don't really involve myself with my family. I will say ive found some incriminating searches when using google on a couple relatives' phones.

SimleuqiR

I work with a lot of guys from Mexico, El Salvador, Colombia, and the Dominican Republic, and from what they've told me and from what I've observed, cheating is a socially accepted phenomenon. For instance, this one Mexican guy (who is married) flat-out told me that Latinos love their wives/girlfriends and take care of them, but they have other women that they fuck on the side.

Obviously, this is a bizarre concept to me, and I was hoping some of you could elaborate for me and describe your experiences.

Yes. Very common.
Not to say that their wifes are OK with it. But depending on the man's social and economical status some wifes do put up with it.

Socially acceptable? That could be argued.

entremet

It's not socially acceptable at all.

Cheating isn't something that any culture has a monopoly on either. It's all over the place.

I wouldn't say it's socially acceptable, but a lot of those cultures are also very religious (particularly catholic) and marriage is a one time deal so they (the women mostly, let's be honest) sort of have to put up with it.

I would say it is about the same as it is here in the States. Usually the guy gets away with it if he is the sole breadwinner and is making quite a bit of money.

Oooohhh boy.

A few decades ago women were almost 100% depend on their husbands, mostly because few of them had jobs and they tolerated "la casa chica" (a term used to describe the husband's lover house)

Things are different, today a lot of women have jobs and because of that they're less depend of their husbands, also the number of divorces in Mexico at least has skyrocket due this.

I think he's talking about "Iberoamerica"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
As a Colombian, it's not socially acceptable. When it was my grandparent's time, it was common and even if the wives knew it, they accept it because of being together until death do them apart.

Now? I don't think there are many women who will endure through that. Many will just drop the guy like they deserve it.

Az

Don't think it's a Latin American thing. It's more the macho-bro crowd who feels that way, regardless of where from.

I work with a lot of guys from Mexico, El Salvador, Colombia, and the Dominican Republic, and from what they've told me and from what I've observed, cheating seems to be more socially "accepted." For instance, this one Mexican guy (who is married) flat-out told me that Latinos love their wives/girlfriends and take care of them, but they have other women that they fuck on the side.

Puerto Rican American here.

My great grandfather was like this. He was a serial adulterer, fathering 22 children among 4 wives(according to my dad at least).

I don't think most women want to or do put up with it, but there's the whole "til death do us part" of marriage that just puts a strain on things.

A lot of Latin America culturally is very religious and a lot of it is patriarchal. I know generalization is frowned on, but this is a generalization I'm confident making.

There's some concepts called Machismo and Caballerismo that attest to the whole issue of Latin American men being unfaithful.

Dai Kaiju

In Colombia, from what I observed in the 2 summers I spent there, it seemed more common for the guys to cheat on the girls but that didn't mean the girls were okay with it. Here in the U.S. I feel like it's the other way around with girls cheating on guys more often, but the girls get a lot more shit thrown at them from the opposite sex when they do it. See gamergate. All of this is anecdotal of course. I'm sure it makes a huge difference what part of Latin America you're in.

When I was in Mexico with my wife visiting her father, I was chatting with him and he started telling me all about "casa chica" and how it wasnt that big of a deal. My wife's dad was telling me how cheating wasn't all that big of a deal and I was super weirded out by it.

When I was in Mexico with my wife visiting her father, I was chatting with him and he started telling me all about "casa chica" and how it wasnt that big of a deal. My wife's dad was telling me how cheating wasn't all that big of a deal and I was super weirded out by it.

What part of Mexico? I've never heard "casa chica" before. I was born close to Juarez.

As a Colombian living in Colombia (Medellín, no less), I can tell you that's it's not that it's socially acceptable (though that might depend on the specific social circle that each individual is a part of) but that a number women wouldn't be surprised from certain men doing it, due to the machismo culture that's very prevalent in the country.
Im Colombiano, its not accepted.
Far better, shorter answer than mine.

Nander

Yes (compared to the US), but not close to the extent it is accepted in France:
FT_Hollande_Affairs.png

Ishida

Banned
Mexican here. It is not accepted here on either of the sexes.

For instance, this one Mexican guy (who is married) flat-out told me that Latinos love their wives/girlfriends and take care of them, but they have other women that they fuck on the side.

This happens on every country and culture.

Latin America is a very large area, spanning two continents and 588 million people. As such, be wary of generalizations based on anecdotes.

This is probably the best, most measured route to take here, similar to others making assumptions about all people in the USA with its similar size and large population

NeOak

North and South America.

Central and south america. Some people separate them.

To answer your question OP, no it isn't true. Cheating is viewed as shitty behavior everywhere and rightly so.

Mexico is part of North America. Surprised it took so long for somebody to explain this correctly.

Apparently "the Americas" is the combination of the two in U.S. English.

"America" is a single continent in Spanish, pretty much the rest of the world, and considered the second biggest in the planet.

Sigh.

Former Miami-residing Latin American here, I can confirm this has little to do with race. It probably has more to do with upbringing and socioeconomic status.

TDLink

"America" is a single continent in Spanish, pretty much the rest of the world, and considered the second biggest in the planet.

Sigh.

Uh, I'm fairly certain that recognizing North America and South America as separate continents is not exclusively a United States thing.

I'm Puerto-Rican/Dominican with many friends who are Hispanic and I've never heard this.

My father was a notorious cheater but he's just a rotten human so I don't think that's applicable.

Nander

Sigh.

Wikipedia says:
  • The seven-continent model is usually taught in China, India, the Philippines, parts of Western Europe and most English-speaking countries, including Australia and England
  • The six-continent combined-Eurasia model is mostly used in Russia, Eastern Europe, and Japan.
  • The six-continent combined-America model is used in Spanish-speaking countries and in some parts of Europe, including Greece (equivalent 5 inhabited continents model – i.e. excluding Antarctica – still also found in texts).

Sigh.

Why would you consider it one continent? It has two clearly distinct continental shelves and is only connected by a tiny silver of land. Do you consider Africa and Asia to be one continent?

Edit: Because of this I view Asia and Europe as one continent, so there's:
North america
South america
Eurasia
Africa
Australia
and Antartica (?) Apparently under the ice its a cluster of small islands, so maybe not Antartica.

Valhelm

contribute something
Machista culture encourages guys to be promiscuous, but I would guess that it was a lot worse a century ago.

TDLink

No?

"L’Amérique est un continent de l'hémisphère ouest de la Terre."?

Looking into it, it seems that in most Spanish speaking countries it is indeed taught that "America" is one continent. It most certainly is not taught that way in "pretty much the rest of the world" though. Nor is it taught that way in very many non-Spanish speaking countries. Most of the world identifies North and South America as two separate continents. Latin America, however, is recognized as a region that spans part of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom