• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is It Worth It to Buy a PS2-Backwards Compatible PlayStation 3?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sure, if money isn't an issue. There's input lag, but iirc even good scalers like the Micomsoft stuff have input lag, and god knows how much TV scalers lag if you plugged it straight into an HDTV's component input. If you can get a nice CRT I'd go with a real PS2 instead.

You can prolong its life by having it reballed.

Wagram

I have one, but it's still better to buy a PS2. The emulation is pretty bad sometimes. $80 isn't a bad deal either way though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I own a 60GB (and 60GB > 80GB), and I'd rather play PS2 games on my PC these days.

If that's not an option, it's a really neat machine, but the reliability isn't great these days.

DrPreston

I feel like my 80gb h/w b/c unit was worth it, but only because:

• I found it non-functional and sans-HDD for $5 in a secondhand store.
  • I reballed the solder on both the RSX and the CPU.
  • It had a <= 3.55 firmware version, allowing me to put custom firmware on it.
  • The CFW makes it easy for me to rip PS2 disks to the hard drive and launch them from XMB.

If you can not or will not do these things, then there really is no benefit to a b/c PS3.

I bought a refurbished/retooled fat PS3 60GB from Gamestop a few years ago and it works like a charm. Couldn't be happier with it.

Note that they actually had a tech open the unit and repair each faulty piece. I'm not sure they do this with every used PS3, so you'll want to check with them before you buy.

Bolivar687

Banned
$80's a good deal just know they fail. I had to have mine repaired and was told Sony used cheap soldering on years early models. Guess they had to cut down costs somehow.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Probably already mentioned but the BC PS3s get so hot its a matter of time before they fail. I've had mine fixed several times and won't do it anymore. If they would just release FFXII, Valkryie Profile Silmeria, DQVIII (I guess I can get the 3DS version) and a few other games, I won't need my BC PS3 anymore and I can buy one of the more reliable slims.

Ryne

New Playstation 2s are so expensive :(. I want a backup.

Trying to get the scph-90001 version, but the average price is 300+ on ebay canada.

I have the launch Ps3 with the 60gb hdd that is backwards compatible with Ps1 and Ps2 and it works perfectly. I've sold my Ps1 and Ps2 recently because of the all-in-one Ps3. Shame the Ps4 didn't continue the trend.

I would buy one in a heartbeat, I'm still salty that I missed this version because at the time I wanted to save a few bucks and did not know about the PS2 BC.

Shenmue

Banned
Yes its worth it. To me its the only PS3 to have. Its the one I have had since launch, and whenever it does mess up, I make sony fix it for free every time, and they do it. I tell them I paid $600 for a product to work at all times. They honor it every time.

Woah this really works? Can you share your process? I would like to know if my 60gb ever dies.

I have a 60 GB launch PS3. 8 years later and it still works fine for me, though at this point you might be better off buying a PS2 separately since they're pretty cheap at this point, or you can always emulate.

As someone who actually still has a 60gb model PS3, I would say it has its ups and downs.

Pros:

• Native, near-perfect backwards compat with PS1 & PS2, upscaling looks noticeably better. Stretching to letterbox looks odd for some games, but it can be turned off for them.
  • Unlimited Virtual memory cards for save data >>>>> rare physical ones that you might lose. Copying data across PS3's or from computer to PS3 is really easy.
  • 4 player games like CTR or Twisted Metal work with just the console, no PS1 or PS2 multi tap required.
  • Downloading other people's save data from sites like GameFAQs (for PS1 or PS2 games) is super easy. Not Possible on PS1 or 2.
  • Memory card slots (SD, Mem Stick, CF): really convenient if you're a frequent photographer like myself, or transfer tons of content btwn a PSP & PS3
  • Four USB ports built in.
  • Much, MUCH nicer looking than the ugly plastic slim.
Cons:
  • If you plan on playing it as a main console, it WILL need a repair at some point. PS3's been my main console of use since early '07 and I practically babied the thing (sprayed out dust, didn't leave it on too long), but still have had YLOD twice. A good repair (reball, do NOT get a reflow) cost around $70-90 with warranty. And as launch PS3's become rarer, those prices will go higher. I know you said price isn't a factor, but you might be better off buying a YLOD'd PS3 from someone on eBay for cheap ($50 or less), and then paying for a reball. Not sure if the ridiculous $1200 prices are worth it.
  • Finding a GOOD PS3 repair service can be tricky. DO YOUR RESEARCH. For example, I would NOT recommend FixMyPlayStation.
  • Uses nearly twice as much power, though certain merchants online can replace your PS3 with a more energy efficient power supply.
  • Slightly louder than slim PS3 (though again, power supply & fan replacements can change that).
  • Touch sensitive buttons instead of real buttons

Overall, I'd say go for it. Literally the only two reasons you might not are 1) price and 2) failure rate. You already said 1 isn't a factor, and PS3 slims fail too. You most likely won't be playing your PS3 as much as I did from '07-now since we've all moved on to PS4, so failure rate is hardly worth worrying that much about.

Just my 2 cents!

G0523

As someone who actually still has a 60gb model PS3, I would say it has its ups and downs.

Pros:

• Native, near-perfect backwards compat with PS1 & PS2, upscaling looks noticeably better. Stretching to letterbox looks odd for some games, but it can be turned off for them.
  • Unlimited Virtual memory cards for save data >>>>> rare physical ones that you might lose. Copying data across PS3's or from computer to PS3 is really easy.
  • 4 player games like CTR or Twisted Metal work with just the console, no PS1 or PS2 multi tap required.
  • Downloading other people's save data from sites like GameFAQs (for PS1 or PS2 games) is super easy. Not Possible on PS1 or 2.
  • Memory card slots (SD, Mem Stick, CF): really convenient if you're a frequent photographer like myself, or transfer tons of content btwn a PSP & PS3
  • Four USB ports built in.
  • Much, MUCH nicer looking than the ugly plastic slim.
Cons:
  • If you plan on playing it as a main console, it WILL need a repair at some point. PS3's been my main console of use since early '07 and I practically babied the thing (sprayed out dust, didn't leave it on too long), but still have had YLOD twice. A good repair (reball, do NOT get a reflow) cost around $70-90 with warranty. And as launch PS3's become rarer, those prices will go higher. I know you said price isn't a factor, but you might be better off buying a YLOD'd PS3 from someone on eBay for cheap ($50 or less), and then paying for a reball. Not sure if the ridiculous $1200 prices are worth it.
  • Finding a GOOD PS3 repair service can be tricky. DO YOUR RESEARCH. For example, I would NOT recommend FixMyPlayStation.
  • Uses nearly twice as much power, though certain merchants online can replace your PS3 with a more energy efficient power supply.
  • Slightly louder than slim PS3 (though again, power supply replacements can change that).
  • Touch sensitive buttons instead of real buttons

Overall, I'd say go for it. Literally the only two reasons you might not are 1) price and 2) failure rate. You already said 1 isn't a factor, and PS3 slims fail too. You most likely won't be playing your PS3 as much as I did from '07-now since we've all moved on to PS4, so failure rate is hardly worth worrying that much about.

Just my 2 cents!

Uh, wow. Those pros really outweigh the cons IMO. I hadn't thought about downloading save files and putting them on PS3. That's kind of a nifty feature if I don't feel like unlocking everything. Lol. And I never knew about the multiplayer aspect! That's awesome! Now I can play Guilty Gear Isuka with 4 people without any multitaps! If all I need to do is have the solder reballed, that's not that big of a deal since I have a few connections and could probably get that done for cheap or free. Thank you very much! This makes me feel much better about diving in and having an all-in-one console.

Now if I can get all of my games to run on my PS4, THAT would be amazing. But that's not anywhere in the near future. Lol.

I had one, but sold it to someone who was looking for a backwards compatible PS3. This was several years ago, though, and I wonder what the price has gone up to.

I never used the BC function, and got enough to buy a Slim with a good hard drive, so I was more than happy.

Conveniently enough, when I put Gran Turismo 3 into the PS3 to demo it for him, it glitched. He still bought it anyways, and never emailed a complaint. I'd never had a single issue with it, and took great care of it/didn't use it too much.

Squalor

I'm still rolling with my 60GB Phatty from 2007.

I've yet to have to repair it.

I must be a lucky one. I also still make regular use of the backward compatibility for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games.

I'm extremely happy to have a single plug-and-play machine that plays (almost) the entire catalog of PS1 to PS3 games with HDMI output. I would be pretty upset if mine ever broke because I imagine they are fairly expensive to replace?

Mine is the 80 gig MGS bundle console (so it's emulated PS2 rather than Emotion Engine, but honestly, I have never seen a difference) and I have never had to repair it. It even survived a move from the US to Japan and back.

PC emulation is well and good but I always find I spend more time tinkering with the settings than actually playing the game I want.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'd kill to have one, but I'd absolutely hate to pay the premium price only to have it die on me. Why oh why is my PS2 collection doomed to stay on an analog signal forever...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Another 60gb PS3 thread.

Another warning about YLOD.

Yet my 2007 model keeps on trucking ;) No YLOD. No repair. No slowdown... it's pretty much like the day it was new.

I often stick to my softmodded phat PS2, though. All my ripped games on an hdd > wireless controller. Plus I have the XRGB mini to upscale it nicely to HD.

ddikxela

If youre worried about reliability you can always look for a modded slim ps3 wjich are less of a lottery. PS2 compatibility isnt as good as the hw compatible models but just google search for a cobra cfw PS2 compatibility list and see if your ps2 games work flawlessly.

Squalor

It's $80. That's nothing.

If he's a friend, ask for some sort of "warranty."

Try it out to make sure it works and sounds good. If you're happy with it, tell him you'll but it for $80, but want your money back (or at least half) if it fails in the first month or two.

b3b0p

I have an original 60 GB. I think it was used once for a few minutes, if that.

Then I moved and packed it up in its original box and it hasn't been touched since.

No idea if it works as I no longer have a TV or monitor that excepts the proper inputs.

I'm not trying to shill,
but I'd be more than willing to let it go if anyone is interested at a reasonable and fair price of course.

Even though they supposedly fail the parts are a plenty on eBay and Craig's List to fix them yourself.

BocoDragon

I'd be curious to know the actual fail rate of launch PS3s.

In the early part of the generation, they were considered widely indestructible - failure was virtually unheard of. Then a few YLOD's hit, and all of a sudden core gamers started considering them "ticking time bombs".

But I wouldn't be surprised if it were a few understandably pissed people making noise about a relatively small fail rate. I certainly see enough "my 60gb unit is okay" posts in these threads.

Just get a PS2 with a component cable, it's cheaper and safer.

The first gen PS3's have very high failure rate. 360 caught all the flack for RRoD but the first gen PS3's were just as bad if not worse. I've had 3 of those PS3's, all died either from overheating or blu ray drive packing up.

BocoDragon

Just get a PS2 with a component cable, it's cheaper and safer.

The first gen PS3's have very high failure rate. 360 caught all the flack for RRoD but the first gen PS3's were just as bad if not worse. I've had 3 of those PS3's, all died either from overheating or blu ray drive packing up.

That is not true, though I can see why you'd feel that way after 3 PS3s.

In terms of frequency:

360 RROD >>>>> PS2 Disc Read Error >>>>> PS3 YLOD

Uh, wow. Those pros really outweigh the cons IMO. I hadn't thought about downloading save files and putting them on PS3. That's kind of a nifty feature if I don't feel like unlocking everything. Lol. And I never knew about the multiplayer aspect! That's awesome! Now I can play Guilty Gear Isuka with 4 people without any multitaps! If all I need to do is have the solder reballed, that's not that big of a deal since I have a few connections and could probably get that done for cheap or free. Thank you very much! This makes me feel much better about diving in and having an all-in-one console.

Now if I can get all of my games to run on my PS4, THAT would be amazing. But that's not anywhere in the near future. Lol.

No problem! Hope it all works out for you.

And haha we can only hope! Maybe Sony will finally get the message that we want BC in future PS consoles if we keep sending them our YLOD 60gbs instead of just buying Slims, no matter how low the price.

I used to think so until my 60GB PS3 died in 2013. The amount of times I went back to play the older games were pretty slim. Now I just emulate all of my PS1/PS2 games I own and the PS3 games I really want to play have either been remastered/ported for PS4 or I just watch a playthrough on YouTube.

That being said, it is nice having a machine that can play almost the entire PS1/PS2/PS3 library through HDMI with save game file support and a Dualshock 3.

Morts

I had a backwards compatible PS3, but all the PS2 games I was interested in ended up getting remastered before I got around to utilizing BC.

Also those slim PS2s are way sexier than original PS3s.

jaxpunk

Still rocking my 60gb launch PS3. Obviously upgraded the hard drive but haven't had any problems with it. It does sound like a jet engine is taking off at times though.

Top Bottom