• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Kotaku in danger of shutting down?

The US lawsuit system is completely ridiculous

Kotaku have so much talent and just fucking got unionized writing and this fucking shit happens? 115 million US dollars? Are you kidding me? To some white dude celebrity wrestler who already has more than he needs?

Darkest timeline indeed

This is about an abuse of the freedoms of the press, and if Gawker had actually taken the angle of "Hulk Hogan is a racist prick" instead of "Let's watch him fuck a woman" they would not have lost

entremet

If Gawker were told by a Judge to take the video down and they didn't then of course they would end up getting sued.

Sure hope that the clicks were worth not taking down the video.

So then by their logic a sex tape of a 5 years old is okay? :|

No wonder they lost if they tried arguing with that logic.

That's how obsessed with clicks they were. Forget journalism and ethics, let's just chase the clicks no matter what.

RE_Player

I'm so happy Gawker lost but I hate that the one aspect I do like of them, Kotaku and its staff, is caught up in this. It's a shame but everyone there is talented and will find new jobs.

The Klepek curse again?

Guy can't catch a break. He should have stayed with Giant Bomb as that was the most solid spot for him in years and he really carved a niche there. There are other circumstances I am unaware of that makes someone leave to get another job though so perhaps it was unavoidable.

rhandino

Banned
While I feel sorry for all the good people that work in some of their sites Im kind of glad that Gawker lost after this case and that one time they went full vile when they outed that poor man.

Nanashrew

Banned
wow some people are just.....
Cd3m_Tkf_Us_AAh_Gv_Y_jpg_large.jpg

She's an awful individual who, despite working in a field to help people, also distances herself and refuses to help people. She's sided with GamerGate a number of times even though she says she's "neutral."

She's also been wrong a number of times and instead of researching something, just goes on this rampage on Twitter listening to he said she said. She's even admitted to being wrong in these cases too.

Hupsel

Ugh some of the replies, people fucking suck. Sometimes I wish you had to use your real name online, I doubt people would post shit like this all the time.

Lime

Let's ignore the fact they put up a sex tape for hits and traffic, and ignored a judge telling them to take it down.

Don't paint this so one sided.

Oh you misunderstood. I agree that their practices were deplorable if not illegal and they should be fined and punished for this. Not sure that 115 million US dollars is fitting the crime but that's another discussion.

I am really sad that kotaku is getting hit from this considering that

1) they have some of the best voices in games media
2) they just got decent pay for their labor

Draxal

While I feel sorry for all the good people that work in some of their sites Im kind of gald that Gawker lost after this case and that one time they went full vile when they outed that poor man.

I have no sympathy for Gawker employees when Nick Denton was in the right for saying that they were wrong there.

They probably are gonna sell Kotaku as one of the high value properties to combat this huge ammount of bones they have to give, I wonder who would buy Kotaku tho and for what price.

nynt9

Denton said on twitter that they are going to appeal:

https://twitter.com/nicknotned/status/710973280308559873

mMIX7mz.jpg

This is the witness, which was shown to be a liar:

Y0W23ub.png

They probably don't have a leg to stand on.

Also:

The Gawker editor AJ Daulerio also said, and this is on video in court, that the only way they'd not post a sex tape of a celebrity on their site is if they were a child under four years old.

1:15 -

http://money.cnn.com/video/media/2016/03/10/hulk-hogan-vs-gawker-trial-in-under-two-minutes.cnnmoney

jurgen

I don't get why people hate Gawker this badly, they're hardly a Breitbart or a Mail Online.

Ehhh... They aren't nearly as slimy as Breitbart or Mail Online, but their overall arrogance, pretentiousness, and self-righteousness is pretty up there.

For example, they are bold enough to spend a good portion of the 2012 US Presidential election railing Mitt Romney and Bain Capital for the same offshore tax dodges that Gawker Media uses.

True Fire

Kotaku have so much talent and just fucking got unionized writing and this fucking shit happens? 115 million US dollars? Are you kidding me? To some white dude celebrity wrestler who already has more than he needs?

Darkest timeline indeed

Gawker was a piece of shit company with zero integrity. It was only a matter of time before a judge got them, whether it was over outing people, posting sex tapes, or releasing illegally obtained emails

jett

D-Member
FYI, for people wondering what happened

https://twitter.com/Gawker/status/327537977922318337

Gawker was ordered to take down the video by a judge when they first posted it and refused. Surprised they didn't get contempt of court.

Schreier lost my sympathy when he posted about losing sleep over a non-editorial member forcing Gawker to stop taking part in a blackmail scheme rather then, y'know, the actual blackmail.

I guess they thought were being all journalistic and shit when they pulled that idiotic stunt.

Hopefully the good people associated with this network will land on their feet if it goes belly up.

K.Sabot

They are probably are gonna sell Kotaku as one of the high value properties to combat this huge ammount of bones they have to give, I wonder who would buy Kotaku tho and for what price.

Probably verge or some shit.

Seems like most game bloggers are bleeding money out their ass though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The hacked celeb photo people are guilty of felony hacking. I bet the judge saw that before going ahead with the verdict.

They're a knowledgable group of people with all the right contacts, but who knows if everyone wants to chip in and kickstart (if that even happens).

An appeals court is not a trial by jury. It'll be a judge and most times judges do not want to set precedent against the first amendment.

Hulk is still getting money but the appeal will squash a lot of that cash judgement, if not most of it.

RE_Player

They are probably are gonna sell Kotaku as one of the high value properties to combat this huge ammount of bones they have to give, I wonder who would buy Kotaku tho and for what price.
Does Kotaku really bring in that much money? Who would want to take something like that off their hands? Sounds like more of a headache than anything.

How many employees are we talking about for Kotaku? I always assumed it was a rather small operation in the Gawker family.

Protann

Darkest timeline indeed

Famous people don't deserve privacy now? Also, Gawker 100% brought this on themselves by not removing the video.

AColdDay

I'm so happy Gawker lost but I hate that the one aspect I do like of them, Kotaku and its staff, is caught up in this. It's a shame but everyone there is talented and will find new jobs.

Guy can't catch a break. He should have stayed with Giant Bomb as that was the most solid spot for him in years and he really carved a niche there. There are other circumstances I am unaware of that makes someone leave to get another job though so perhaps it was unavoidable.

Yep. I love Patrick, and it broke my heart that he left Giant Bomb because GB is one of the only safe spots in the industry.

True Fire

Does Kotaku really bring in that much money? Who would want to take something like that off their hands? Sounds like more of a headache than anything.

How many employees are we talking about for Kotaku? I always assumed it was a rather small operation in the Gawker family.

They'll probably have to sell off everything they've got in order to pay off that bond. Kotaku will probably be the first to go.

Malygos

I thought the god awful double standard of gawker posting that sex tape of hulk hogan, thinking it was fine, then posting articles about how it was disgusting someone leaked nudes of Jennifer Lawrence. How ridiculous it is to think it's fine to post it if a man made a sex tape, but if you're a female celebrity it's just wrong and evil. What morons.

winstano

Darkest timeline indeed

Not in the slightest. This is a case of someone's private video being pushed out to the public because of who they are. In the process it absolutely ruined their career (mainly due to unforgivable racist remarks that were made on the tape). Hogan is practically unemployable right now, and this case is the reason why. It's not a public interest case, it's an organisation waving their dick around and claiming free speech.

The fact that Klepek, Totilo, Keza and Jason might lose their jobs as a result of this is horrible, but it's not their fault. It's the fault of an idiotic decision to publish something, then not comply when ordered to take it down.

Gary Whitta just posted "just because something is interesting to the public, doesn't mean it's in the public interest". Best quote I've heard in a while.

Tl;Dr - Fuck Gawker, but I feel for Kotaku staff.

LowSignal

I hate kotaku in its current form, they used to be ok, I feel kotaku is a tabloid version of video game news. I don't wish anyone to loose their job but no big loss content wise in general IMO.

Axass

I left Kotaku after the 13th awful redesign and having witnessed that prick, Joel Johnson, being editor in chief. That said, I sympathize with the guys and gals writing at Kotaku, because they're not at fault in this.

Though Denton brought this upon himself and he frankly deserved this.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They don't have the assets to appeal. They need to liquidize 50 mil.
If they don't have 50 mil. to appeal, how are they expected to pay the result of the lawsuit, though?

In other news, clicking this twitter account showed me that she's working on a Dark Souls book? That's kinda cool.

People gloating to her and Klepek are fucking scum, though. The fuck is wrong with these people?

Top Bottom