• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is MS publisher of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After Halo seems to be doing well and we can assume will finish with a MC above 85 MS has pretty much produced quality games all year in good quantity.

• Psychonauts 2 (89 OpenCritic)
  • Forza Horizon 5 (92 OpenCritic)
  • Halo Infinite (87 OpenCritic)
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator (92 OpenCritic - Came to PC last year but Xbox this year)
  • Age of Empires IV (83 OpenCritic - Currently only on PC)
  • Deathloop (88 OpenCritic)
Is this enough to net them a publisher of the year? Something that seemingly they haven't had since the 360 days.

Lokaum D+

recoil what GIF

After Halo seems to be doing well and we can assume will finish with a MC above 85 MS has pretty much produced quality games all year in good quantity.

• Psychonauts 2 (89 OpenCritic)
  • Forza Horizon 5 (92 OpenCritic)
  • Halo Infinite (87 OpenCritic)
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator (92 OpenCritic - Came to PC last year but Xbox this year)
  • Age of Empires IV (83 OpenCritic - Currently only on PC)
  • Deathloop (88 OpenCritic)
Is this enough to net them a publisher of the year? Something that seemingly they haven't had since the 360 days.
They certainly should be in contention. At least no one can say they have no games and the TV TV TV era is over. They have been delivering fantastic games and value so far this generation for sure.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They definitely have an argument for it this year. Sony had Returnal, Ratchet and MLB the Show I guess. Nintendo had Dread and some smaller titles.

For me personally, I'd pick SQEX: Guardians, Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards, Actraiser, Bravely Default 2, FFXIV Endwalker, Life is Strange, Outriders, The World Ends with You 2, FFVII Intergrade. People just kind of forget that they put out a ton of stuff every year.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

They’ve published Returnal and Ratchet only in terms of original games this year. Please don’t make yourself look like a pillock.

MS had no hand in the development of Psychonauts or Deathloop (and hell didn't even publish DL) but sure. . .get in a tizzy over them publishing releases of previously released games (both of which had their new versions extensively reviewed by the gaming press).

Pillock indeed.

Mr Moose

Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

They’ve published Returnal and Ratchet only in terms of original games this year. Please don’t make yourself look like a pillock.
Flight Sim is included, even though its a game from last year. They also didn't publish Deathloop.
81PxKXYO3BL._AC_SX385_.jpg

You are also forgetting this *cough* gem:
81-qW9FB9DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

reksveks

Not on open critic afaik, I have adapted a scraper to download this info from MC and the reviewer information.

tryF5S0.png

This is for 2020 but i will try and do something for 2021 but currently my scraper is going through 2015-2020. I need to fix the scraper slightly to fix a small issue where MC has the wrong publisher first.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
MS had no hand in the development of Psychonauts or Deathloop (and hell didn't even publish DL) but sure. . .get in a tizzy over them publishing releases of previously released games (both of which had their new versions extensively reviewed by the gaming press).

Pillock indeed.
No hand in Psychonauts? They acquired Double Fine 30 months prior to release. Tim Schaffer said they were able to add more content, bosses and polish due to daddy Microsoft’s cash.

No shit XGS didn’t publish Deathloop, they’ve literally explicitly stated that Bathesda Publishing will still operate (however, if it really needs to be explained to you: Xbox own Bathesda Publishing).

‘New version’ to describe those re-releases is comically disingenuous. Oh shit man, Microsoft have just released the ‘new version’ of Skyrim which is a 96 rated game on Metacritic - wow that’s fucking amazing.

Mr Moose

Last edited:
XBGS will win Metacritic Publisher of the year. Deathloop won't count though because I don't think they include Bethesda games with XBGS. But like I said it doesn't matter they will still get Publisher of the Year.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes. If you're jumping through any sort of hoops to pretend that's not the case then there's a good chance your inherent bias is showing. Doesn't matter what their recent years have looked like or how much money they've thrown around, the answer is the same no matter how many logic hoops you wanna jump through.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

Pillock indeed.
They actually did have a hand in psychonauts II. Full on interview about it on Google and everything. And Deathloop is from a first party studio.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
No hand in Psychonauts? They acquired Double Fine 30 months prior to release. Tim Schaffer said they were able to add more content, bosses and polish due to daddy Microsoft’s cash.

No shit XGS didn’t publish Deathloop, they’ve literally explicitly stated that Bathesda Publishing will still operate (however, if it really needs to be explained to you: Xbox own Bathesda Publishing).

‘New version’ to describe those re-releases is comically disingenuous. Oh shit man, Microsoft have just released the ‘new version’ of Skyrim which is a 96 rated game on Metacritic - wow that’s fucking amazing.

DS and GOT literally added content to their games (and for the better in both cases) and - again - had these version rereviewed based on this. However sure, MSFS deserves to be in the OP's list.

. . .and disingenuous? Really? It's not disingenuous to try and paint Deathloop (and yes, even Psychonauts) as some game with MS DNA in it and not just a direct impact of them scooping up Bethesda within the last year? Meh.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Yea, been that way for couple of years now. You also forgot about DLCs, updates and more content for all the other titles which are in a lot of ways the better titles. Also they are just $$$, they have nothing to do with creativity, none.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom