• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony kinda lost with the PS5?

Is Sony kinda lost with te PS5?

• Total voters

Aion002

Heads up: This is an reactionary opinion thread, few facts, mostly feelings.

So, first of all: The PS4 is killing, closing the generation with a bang.... But it feels like all of this momentum was made by other people, like Andrew House, Layden and many others who already left Sony and now, the new people in power, are completely lost or, maybe, they just don't care at the moment.

Why? Well, MS is fighting hard to get gamers attention for next gen, they are showing all their weapons and honestly, they are quite strong, while Sony, appears to be in another reality when it comes down to PS5.

Series X just had a "Deep Dive" and everything was great: features, tech, bc and promisses.... Then, Sony decides in the same week to also have a "Deep Dive".... and shows Cerny talking about technicalities and, when we think the stream will be like a hour long, it ends abruptly in 20 minutes!

It feels that Sony is not even trying to compete with MS, like they don't care about it.

It's weird, we are in the third month of the year and everything we have to hype was known since last year.

No news about an reveal event, price.... heck even when the next state of play is coming.

I am a Playstation gamer and this is the weirdest PS moment ever. It feels like Sony doesn't even know where to go with the PS5 and that they are being extremely dodgy/vague with it. On PS3, when everythin failed, they at least had a goal, a message, today I don't know what to expect from Sony.

The PS5 might not be even released this year, so this opinion might be dumb... but Sony surely is giving all the clicks to MS.

Grinchy

Banned
They should not have hyped up what they showed today. That could have just been a video they put up and let news outlets write up articles with highlights from it.

This was their break from a very long silence about what the PS5 would be and it was a confusing mishmash of numbers consumers can't take anything away from.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
So far, they are the first ones to make a pretty big mistake.

It was a mistake to tell the specs in the way they did, and cerny trying to defend lower cus and tflops was as embarrassing as Microsoft blunders at the start of this gen.

If I were sony I would had the first unveiling be far more straight forward and I would of been more upfront and less bullshity, i would of shown how the gpu scales frequency and not just of said it highest peak tflop count, that is just disingenuous.

I would of shown some amazing game footage in order to lessen the disappointment of weaker specs and I would of announced the price $449 + 6 months of PSN NOW + PS PLUS.

This is chess and sony just made a terrible move , of course they will recover though, but they need to hit it out of the park with there next showcases.

TTOOLL

On the contrary. Had you paid attention to the presentation you would see that a lot of research and talk with people who make the games went into account when designing de machine.

If you wanted to beat MS to the TFLOPs you can feel disappointed. People who remember the PS3 fiasco and how Sony learned with it to make the PS4 are pretty confident that the PS5 will be a great console.

The ROAD to PS5. The name tells you a lot. It brings price, performance and easiness do develop to the table. Trust the Soothing Cerny.

Vol5

Well, they've lost me as a customer. I suspect many others will follow suit.

Priceless. And if XBOX continues to have averages games while Sony continue to knock it out of the park with exclusives you'll still play on XBOX because of a TF advantage?

It's like saying I'm not eating that sandwich, I'm having this one instead, but you don't know what's in either of them.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
not lost but they gonna have to work way harder next gen to win gamers away from a more powerful console. we may see this gen Sony being the first to do more consumer friendly things like xbox did this gen

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Depends on what is deemed a success.

No doubt SeX is a better system, but Sony fans and for sure PS5 will be cheaper by a good $100. So combine those and there is no way SeX outsells PS5. It'll probably be a 2-1 ratio again.

Aion002

No games from either company shown yet..... yes now is the time to declare the winners of the generation. LOL for fucks sake people, breath!
This thread is not about winners or losers, just about how different and confusing Sony approach feels compared to the straight foward way of MS.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Hardware wise MS just handed them the win last gen. And with Xbox SEX MS seems really to be on top of their game. I even posted a few days ago I doubted Sony could match that level of expertise MS has.

Now we all know it's more about games than hardware, so PS will still be number 1. But the race will be a lot closer.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
PS1 and PS2 were also weaker than their counterparts. Having the weaker console hurts Microsoft more than Sony, because Microsoft intially positioned the Xbox consoles as the tech leaders, so falling behind PS4 at a higher price was terrible. PS5 being weaker than XSX (and probably cheaper) does not mean Sony is fucked.

Priceless. And if XBOX continues to have averages games while Sony continue to knock it out of the park with exclusives you'll still play on XBOX because of a TF advantage?

It's like saying I'm not eating that sandwich, I'm having this one instead, but you don't know what's in either of them.
Haven't really been impressed with games lately either

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
saying facts is not presented as a lost approach .. you may raise your expectations to the bar where power is only matter and by saying power I mean NUMBERS.. but that talk was more than specs , Sony does know that MS is doing their best and that is good for gaming but that doesn’t mean Sony is letting that go just like that .. I know here more are angry because PS5 numbers are weaker than XSX ..

But some are blinded to the point where he can’t see the big picture as Mark Cerny wanted everyone to know .. you don’t have to put more higher numbers to reach greatness in gaming , there is other factors beside big numbers which make the whole package great and deliver what you expect.. from base PS4 to PS5 that is a fucking huge leap btw and if you can’t imagine that then go and scream with others and cry

Did you think Mark Cerny reveal everything at that stage ? .. this is a strategy they know games are important to gamers and other features they didn’t say but in our community we want everything to be at higher number .. that is wrong imo

XSX and PS5 will present a huge leap in gaming in every aspect .. specially PS5

Last edited:

Alphagear

It wasn't a reveal. Just a tech deep-dive and the tech is amazing.
Well it was underwhelming whatever the case. Not that it matters to me. Nothing will push me to buy a more powerful console with no games. Always PS as primary with Nintendo secondary .

Reactions: CJY

Durask

The way I look at it it will be like having a PC with a RTX2070 Super vs 2080Ti with all other things being more or less equal - sure there is a difference but it is not THAT much of a difference.
Games, ecosystem, marketing will be the deciding factors.

Stuart360

You do realize 95% of games released are multiplatform right?, and the XSX will run them much better. Besides 'exclusives' shouldnt be a problem for Microsoft next gen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They know that all that really matters is the big reveal with the launch date, games, and price. That's going to determine everything for the launch.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm disappointed, not much though. It's still confusing, he explained some strange things of how he approaches GPU, we need games to understand though. Overall, it's a 14.8% GPU gap, much less than PS4 vs X1 and PS4 Pro vs X1X. I'm very happy that MS have pushed the bar high, it's good for gaming in general. But let's not forget: No exclusives for 2 years, and don't expect much if tied to Lockhart. Multiplats will look identical overall with slightly better performance on XSX (fps).

CJY

Banned
Well it was underwhelming whatever the case. Not that it matters to me. Nothing will push me to buy a more powerful console with no games. Always PS as primary with Nintendo secondary .
Totally. They should have no hyped this up to the public whatsoever. They should have thrown it up on their YouTube and be done with it. I really didn't expect it to be a GDC presentation. Missed opportunity.

Alphagear

PS1 and PS2 were also weaker than their counterparts. Having the weaker console hurts Microsoft more than Sony, because Microsoft intially positioned the Xbox consoles as the tech leaders, so falling behind PS4 at a higher price was terrible. PS5 being weaker than XSX (and probably cheaper) does not mean Sony is fucked.
So true. People need to spend less time watching DF and more time enjoying gaming.

Aion002

saying facts is not presented as a lost approach .. you may raise your expectations to the bar where power is only matter and by saying power I mean NUMBERS.. but that talk was more than specs , Sony does know that MS is doing their best and that is good for gaming but that doesn’t mean Sony is letting that go just like that .. I know here more are angry because PS5 numbers are weaker than XSX ..

But some are blinded to the point where he can’t see the big picture as Mark Cerny wanted everyone to know .. you don’t have to put more higher numbers to reach greatness in gaming , there is other factors beside big numbers which make the whole package great and deliver what you expect.. from base PS4 to PS5 that is a fucking huge leap btw and if you can’t imagine that then go and scream with others and cry

Did you think Mark Cerny reveal everything at that stage ? .. this is a strategy they know games are important to gamers and other features they didn’t say but in out community we want everything to be at higher number .. that is wrong imo

XSX and PS5 will present a huge leap in gaming in every aspect .. specially PS5
Honestly... I just wanted more, more of Cerny talks, maybe toss in some developers videos there talking about the console and stuff. Then, end it saying something like: PS5 Reveal Event on June or something...

I have no idea what they're thinking. The first look at the PS5 is the most boring presentation I've ever seen from a console maker, there were like over 200k people watching and you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. This should have been something they do AFTER properly revealing the thing. And wtf was this bizarre lifeform even talking about? 3d audio? Like who even cares about that kind of horseshit. And they strapped dudes to what essentially looks like this
latest

I just... Okay then?

Vol5

You do realize 95% of games released are multiplatform right?, and the XSX will run them much better. Besides 'exclusives' shouldnt be a problem for Microsoft next gen.

Your making assumptions. And very big assumptions based on XBOX's output over the last 5 years.

Instead of getting all upset about numbers, why don't you take a considered approach and wait to see what the games are and how they look on both systems. Then if your not happy and PS5 really is a POS like you say it is, you have every right to spit the dummy.

Entroyp

I’m impressed by the SSD subsystem but underwhelmed by everything else. A first for any PS reveal for me.

Last edited:

MHubert

They should not have hyped up what they showed today. That could have just been a video they put up and let news outlets write up articles with highlights from it.

This was their break from a very long silence about what the PS5 would be and it was a confusing mishmash of numbers consumers can't take anything away from.
That is basically what they did. Do you think they overhyped the event today by announcing it yesterday?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Your making assumptions. And very big assumptions based on XBOX's output over the last 5 years.

Instead of getting all upset about numbers, why don't you take a considered approach and wait to see what the games are and how they look on both systems. Then if your not happy and PS5 really is a POS like you say it is, you have every right to spit the dummy.
Its not really an assumption, they didnt buy all those studios to have them making dashboard backgrounds. It doesnt mean quality games of course, but that works on both machines.
As for waiting to see what the games look like on both, there is literally no way multiplatform games will be better on PS5, it has slower cpu, slower ram, 2+tf less powerful gpu. It will load games a few seconds faster, but for actual game performance, something will be VERY wrong if multiplatform games arent better on XSX.

chinoXL

Some of these people are hilarious. I'll be getting the 5 day one and will get multi on my PC of there's a huge difference

Dargor

I wouldn't say lost, they certainly seem to know what they wanted out of the ps5.

I would say they just focused on things that dont matter for gamers in general.

Grinchy

Banned
That is basically what they did. Do you think they overhyped the event today by announcing it yesterday?
It was a livestream of the first concrete info they had ever given about the PS5 since a random Wired article forever ago that barely mentioned the use of a SSD. They knew it would be hyped and knew a lot of people (not just a handful of developers) would be watching.

And they showed...whatever the hell that was. It was a really bad move. It didn't need to be a public showing in a live format to just give information that only developers would care about with the only real takeaway being that it's theoretically less powerful than the Halo machine.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What we have learned, that reveal matter and this was terrible way to do that. Because this was for the developers.

Reactions: GHG
I have no idea what they're thinking. The first look at the PS5 is the most boring presentation I've ever seen from a console maker, there were like over 200k people watching and you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. This should have been something they do AFTER properly revealing the thing. And wtf was this bizarre lifeform even talking about? 3d audio? Like who even cares about that kind of horseshit. And they strapped dudes to what essentially looks like this
latest

I just... Okay then?
😂😂😂

Have no idea who gave the greenlight for such a presentation. In 2020 who still does stuff like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom