• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is standard wireless the only real revolution in control we need?

Barnimal

Banned
Sitting here playing RE4 in beautiful HD, surround sound and the GC is tucked away beside the TV. I dunno what it is about wireless but i do feel part of the game when playing wireless. I dont really feel like i'm attached to some box pumping out a game but more immersed in an interactive feature. All this hype about what the revolutions controller will be...why does it need to be something all crazy? a wireless controller with tilt functions and a small screen or touchpad may be all that is needed as simple as it sounds.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Barnimal said:
Sitting here playing RE4 in beautiful HD, surround sound and the GC is tucked away beside the TV. I dunno what it is about wireless but i do feel part of the game when playing wireless. I dont really feel like i'm attached to some box pumping out a game but more immersed in an interactive feature. All this hype about what the revolutions controller will be...why does it need to be something all crazy? a wireless controller with tilt functions and a small screen or touchpad may be all that is needed as simple as it sounds.

I used to think I couldn't live without rumble until I got a Wavebird. Blew holes in that theory real fast. Wireless is what I can't live without. I have Logitechs for my Xbox and PS2 and a couple of Wavebirds for the GC

Amir0x

Banned
Why, I don't know Barnimal. Back in NES/SNES days, I didn't really know I would want wireless controllers until I played them. I suspect that whatever the next controller revolution is, I might not really think about it until I play it. Certainly, wireless is not the last or "only real revolution" in controls we'll ever have or need.

For me, the next revolution in console control is ALLOWING ME TO USE KEYBOARD+MOUSE IN ALL CONSOLE FPS. Yeah, you heard me Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. I better be able to do that shit at some point.

koam

The keyboard and mouse is the stupidest mode on control that has ever been invented (well, cellphone controls on certain phones beat it). Well maybe it was okay back when Doom was the shit, but it is WAY too outdated.

The mouse part, is awesome. It gives you far more precision than a analog stick. But the keyboard part irks me. Why is this still accepted? There's no analog and your using a device that was not designed with gaming in mind.

I know there's FPS controllers but I've never tried any. I just really hate using a Kb/m combo.

The DS is a good step into bringing solid FPS controls to a console. The stylus is infinate times faster that a mouse and if it had an analog stick instead of a DPad it would have rocked.

Digital controls should die.

I like the convenience of wireless control, but only when I have wired control as a backup.

I'm hoping I won't have a problem for another gen or two

Amir0x

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
wireless is a revolution?

only if you're so rich that you have to sit back 20ft from your 100" tv or so idiotic you tangle wires up...

Man, no. I'm so glad to be done with wires.

Just the other day my dog was running around the house chasing the cat or something, and then he ran past the TV when my friends were playing GC and pulled the entire fucking system off the rack so it slammed upon the floor. Not only did my GC break and I had to replace it, but it also pulled off some of my other equipment in the process. That's just one small anecdotal example, but fuck wires.

koam said:
The keyboard and mouse is the stupidest mode on control that has ever been invented (well, cellphone controls on certain phones beat it). Well maybe it was okay back when Doom was the shit, but it is WAY too outdated.

The mouse part, is awesome. It gives you far more precision than a analog stick. But the keyboard part irks me. Why is this still accepted? There's no analog and your using a device that was not designed with gaming in mind.

Thank God you're speakin' for your fucking self. Keyboard+Mouse combo is indispensable for FPS/RTS games. Nothing better.

koam said:
The keyboard... is the stupidest mode on control that has ever been invented Why is this still accepted? There's no analog and your using a device that was not designed with gaming in mind.
It's obvious why the keyboard came into play, but I agree that we should have moved on by now. I have, by using a N52, but it's just a device made to emulate a keyboard in specific applications.; there's still no analog movement.
Digital controls should die.
No. As long as we use gamepads, they'll always have a place. Makes my electronic projects easy too.

Shao

I've never liked keyboard/mouse combo for games, its totally flawed yet people continue to swear by it, mainly because they've not had any better options. But improvement is definately needed. Hate using keyboard for games so I only play point and click/adventure games on PC. Dont think I will ever get into FPS games until they become more immersive, like I hold something and can aim and shoot as if im holding the gun and walking around in the place. Sometimes technology has to catch up to what I want in that sense.

Amir0x

Banned
Shao said:
I've never liked keyboard/mouse combo for games, its totally flawed yet people continue to swear by it, mainly because they've not had any better options.

Because we haven't had better options, or because people like me have become so brutally efficient with it that no other control option comes close?

The purpose of controls, besides comfort, is functionality. And Mouse+Keyboard proves to always be the way you can become the absolute best at the FPS and RTS (like Rise of Nations) genres, so until something comes along that does find a better way there is no replacing it. ESPECIALLY not typical console controllers. And I can't really think of something that can be used to hotlink literally dozens upon dozens of weapons or magic to an instant button, or something that provides the level of precision as mouse for FPS.

Amir0x said:
I can't really think of something that can be used to hotlink literally dozens upon dozens of weapons or magic to an instant button
Haven't pimped this in a while, but I always keep it at the ready.

N52.jpg

Course, it's not a new control paradigm or anything; just a sort of alternate, programmable keyboard.

Amir0x said:
Man, no. I'm so glad to be done with wires.

Just the other day my dog was running around the house chasing the cat or something, and then he ran past the TV when my friends were playing GC and pulled the entire fucking system off the rack so it slammed upon the floor. Not only did my GC break and I had to replace it, but it also pulled off some of my other equipment in the process. That's just one small anecdotal example, but fuck wires.
sounds more like a common issue with having pets/kids/idiot friends or whatever that dont ave the ability to not trip over shit

Amir0x

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:

Course, it's not a new control paradigm or anything; just a sort of alternate, programmable keyboard.

I'll try it out sometime, although I can think of games that use way more keys.

sounds more like a common issue with having pets/kids/idiot friends or whatever that dont ave the ability to not trip over shit

No wires, no chance of it happening. I want my dog (or kids or idiot friends) to run around whenever they want without worrying about it. I have my little cousins visit sometime and they're 5, 4 and 2 respectively and they nudged the system like eight different times due to the wires. They're not idiots, they're just young and they need to be told not to walk in front of the TV when people are playing games. But being young, they forget or do it sometimes without thinking. It happens. Why worry about it? This is a problem very specific for certain people, but it's one example of why no wires are awesome.

koam

ArcadeStickMonk said:
It's obvious why the keyboard came into play, but I agree that we should have moved on by now. I have, by using a N52, but it's just a device made to emulate a keyboard in specific applications.; there's still no analog movement.No. As long as we use gamepads, they'll always have a place. Makes my electronic projects easy too.

They should have a place, but they should be secondary not primary (see PS2, PSP and DS).

koam

only if you're so rich that you have to sit back 20ft from your 100" tv or so idiotic you tangle wires up...

You need friends, seriously. Have you ever played 4 player split screen with 5-6 people over. Do that and then do the samething with a 4 wavebirds and tell me you don't see a difference.

Amir0x said:
I'll try it out sometime, although I can think of games that use way more keys.
If you sacrifice one key for a shift state you get all the buttons -1 back again, with a maximum of 3 alternate shift states.

So with 3 shift states you get 20 X 4 inputs.

Or, 3 shift states with one shift state toggle button: 22 x 4 inputs.

If you know how to use it, you will not fill it up. I play nearly every PC game with it, I bind everything I'll ever need, and I've never filled it up. I rarely need more than one shift state either.

My Planetside config was a work of art; I love it when you can map Shift or Control as a command button that can also be a shift for any other input including on your mouse.

Amir0x

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
If you sacrifice one key for a shift state you get all the buttons -1 back again, with a maximum of 3 alternate shift states.

So with 3 shift states you get 20 X 4 inputs.

Or, 3 shift states with one shift state toggle button: 22 x 4 inputs.

If you know how to use it, you will not fill it up. I play nearly every PC game with it, I bind everything I'll ever need, and I've never filled it up. I rarely need more than one shift state either.

My Planetside config was a work of art; I love it when you can map Shift or Control as a command button that can also be a shift for any other input including on your mouse.

Gah @ Shift states.

I'll still give it a try when I have a little extra cash. How much is it?

oh yeah, the #1 revolution we need in control we need has nothing to do with the controller

WE NEED PROPER AND TOTAL CONTROLLER CONFIGURATION MENUS FOR EVERY GAME

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I just hope Twilight Princess doesn't have any of those hidden secrets that you need rumble to find, cause I'll be using my wavebird the whole time. :O

Amir0x said:
Gah @ Shift states
I usually assign the one shift button to where my pinkie finger rests, and never moves. This means that I can access the entirety of my mapped commands (which is everything available, more often than not) without my fingers ever leaving the "home" area. So there's less travel involved; could very well equate to faster response.
How much is it?
Under $40. $35 usually.

Look me up when you get it and I can hook you up with my configs. I use all default bindings most of the time so I never have to config the actual game.
One warning, though, I use the D-pad as my WASD and it does take a little getting used to; but it's by far the smartest way to use the device.

EDIT: Oh I forgot! Macros! I've made some sweet macros with the N52.

BTW, what mouse are you using?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
ArcadeStickMonk said:

N52.jpg

I bought one of those brand new for 10.99. I use it for photoshop shortcuts mostly :p

Well, in my living room my sofa is 4 meters away from the TV. My GC and even Xbox cables aren't enough for this. Add to this the fact of having one dog and four cats wandering in the house and messing with the cables (sometimes disconnecting them while I play), plus the fact that a living room without cables all around from one side to the other of the room is much better to see, and my point of view is that I don't really need "to sit back 20ft from my 100"" to welcome wi-fi pads ;-)

WindyMan

I totally believe that if the Revolution controller has a perfect gyro setup, it will replace the mouse/keyboard combo (or at least the mouse part of it) as the ultimate FPS control setup. A lot of you probably can't comprehend anything beating the mouse in FPS games, but a lot of people can't think of a better implement for RTS games, either. The touch screen on the DS is the reason all of these publishers are scrambling for PC-to-DS ports of RTS and Tycoon-type games. (I would kill for C&C Red Alert on the DS.)

The only thing bad about a mouse for first-person shooters, especially fast ones, is that if you need to turn around in a hurry, you need to pick up the mouse and drag it to the side again. You get the quick accuracy, but it's still not a perfect system. If Nintendo can get a gyro system working, you can just tilt the controller to the side, then tilt to where the target is, sort of in the same way as sight shooting with a light gun. The simplicity of a stick, with the precision of a mouse.

That's just my opinion, of course. It's pending what exactly the controller is, and how well the gyro feature is implemented, if there is one.

WindyMan said:
The only thing bad about a mouse for first-person shooters, especially fast ones, is that if you need to turn around in a hurry, you need to pick up the mouse and drag it to the side again.
You aren't wrong, however, I just recently switched to a high sensitivity Razor mouse. I play with a 7 out of 10 sensitivity and I rarely need to pick up the mouse. I can turn 360 degrees just by moving the mouse to one side.

So, that particular point isn't a concern with the right equipment.

Jesus H. Christ, you would think these idiots trashing keyboard and mouse never played an FPS on the platform they originated on.

Here's a hint: If you don't like the keyboard, there are gobs of PC game pads you can use in conjunction with the mouse! That's the combination I prefer to use, and I own a fucking Mac which is notorious for it's lack of games.

You weenies should be well adjusted to this by now.

Henceforth, any person declaring that aiming with a mouse in an FPS in an unsuitable means of control is welcome to the fold of my ignore list, and I hope fate quickly removes you from the gene pool to prevent further retardation. :lol

Neex

Banned
I for one think that people who can't handle a console FPS with a controller are sissies, and never thought it was such a bad downgrade that I needed to complain about it.

But then again, maybe I just have awesome thumbs.

Wow talk about being narrow minded.

I sit about 8 feet from my TV. Only the Xbox cable is decently long enough to sit comfortably back on the couch. The PS2 will reach if I'm sitting up but not sitting back, and that's just barely reaching. Forget about the GC controller as it has the shortest length cable. Going back to older systems? You might as well forget about it as only recently have we been getting longer cords.

So now I have a Wavebird, a Logitech wireless PS2 pad and a Logitech wireless Xbox pad and I couldn't be more happier with the exception of the Wavebird which leaves a bit more to it. Before I go on, my issue with the wavebird is the power switch and the lack of rumble. Anyways, there's nothing nicer than reaching into the drawer of the coffee table which has one of each controller in it and being able to pull them out and just play. No need to plug anything in. It's just completely convient. Even better, with my PS2, all I do is hit Play PS2 on my Harmony Remote(fucking godly device which everyone should get) and it switches my TV to the game input, my receiver to the right input, and turns on my PS2. All from the touch of a button. No need to get up to turn on the console and all I do is pick up the controller. Add in the fact that I've got a HDD loader and I've got a virtual library at the tip of my finger. The Xbox is almost the same way but I can't power it by remote yet. I'm about to change that when I move to my new place. But hey, if you like to plug in and unplug your controllers all the time, turn on the power, put in the game, swap games, switch your tv to the right input, and switch your sound system to the right input. You can take all those extra steps.

Finally, one of the really good usage of wireless is playing games like Singstar and Karaoke Revolution. When people sing, it's just nice to be able to pass around a wireless controller so that they can pick their songs without having to worry abuot a cable going all over the place and even getting tangled up with the microphones. I used to do that, but this works so much better.

Tarazet

Wireless that doesn't eat batteries like popcorn would be the best, I think (though I'm saying this without experience with a Wavebird).

Top Bottom