• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the age of awesome tv over?

TrainedRage

Banned
I think people forget how different the non-binge, weekly release format was, it must sound like a nightmare to people who grew up after it was gone.

I'm watching Buffy on Amazon prime right now and it's weird to blast through seasons of a show that I remember watching over the course of several years. Things actually benefit from a slow burn, we've just had our desires catered to for so long that it sounds like torture now to have to wait for episodes of a show to release weekly, but I firmly believe that experience was the better one, it made the shows feel more important, there was no social media and you actually talked about the shows with people IRL and probably watched together often.
Don't even get me started on Buffy. During my late elementary days I remember there were like these two hot girls who also liked Buffy and EVERY Wednesday after the show we would chat for a long time about the episode. All the guys were like WTF do you keep talking to them about? Good shit. So fun.

NahaNago

I never had the greatest taste in tv. My age of awesome tv was hercules, xena, sliders, stargate, buffy, and dark angel.

edit: I really wish Dark Angel had a movie to close out that series.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It's not really over. Many newer writers and directors lack ambition. Production companies and sponsored actors are running the show for Western TV and they aren't really being directed or written well. It can get better but headline actors need to get out of the way, cast more veteran actors, hire writers who are worth more than 1 season, let the Directors take back control. Only use producers for money...don't Make them part of the creative process.

The Wire was better than The Sopranos.

It's pretty good, but not anywhere near on the same level as The sopranos.

Rewatchability of Sopranos is endless, in fact it just keeps getting better with every rewatch. The Wire is just irritating to rewatch even once. That's the difference between the two. It is two dimensional by comparison.

I liked the Frank Sobotka season the best, they should have kept doing different themes like this each season but they reverted after S2.

Astral Dog

Still plenty of awesome TV shows to me 😋
Riverdale, Sabrina, Castlevania, The Boys,HBO shows well these are oldies but BigBangTheory, Parks and Recreation, TheOffice, etc.

I have plenty to watch on TV

However im sad about the cancellations, The Dark Crystal was too good for this world 🥺

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I would say that the age of the awesome cinema/music/comics has been over for many years, TV is in a very bad shape lately and gaming is starting to take the hit.

I have no idea about books.

Remember to consume product and get excited for next product, you don't need quality, just consume a lot.
Idk what you like but gaming is better than ever imo, and there is plenty of quality still on movies, books, TV etc

dcll

Banned
I started watching Yellowstone and just finished season 2 last night. I really like the show but the Beck brothers plot and the way it ended was pretty rushed or tacked on it seems.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
In some ways it is worse, in many ways, it is better. For as much SJW shit Netflix has (man did they fuck OITNB), they've also had quite a bit of TV that I really enjoyed.

johntown

Banned
I hardly watch any current TV. I have a huge Vudu collection of all the great shows and usually re-watch them if I watch anything.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Cobra Kai is legit good. The Mandalorian is decent. Locke and Key is good, too. But since it's premise hinges on it being a huge mystery, we'll see if it can keep my interest going. I can't bring myself to finish Agents of SHIELD but the first 4 seasons were really good and worth watching. After that the quality took a nosedive.

The Walking Dead is an absolute travesty. Great show the first 4 seasons and then... ugh. I don't even want to talk about it.

Punisher, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil were all good (not great, but good) TV. It's too bad that Luke Cage and and Iron Fart and the Defenders pretty much ruined it. Not to mention Disney shenanigans.

Right now I'm watching The Wire. Never seen it and I'm almost finished. It's so damn good! Whatever happen to their writers?

teezzy

Banned
When I first started working in an office, the absurd amount of TV my coworkers seemed to watch was one of the first things I'd noticed. Just full blown lists of recommendations for different series and the like. I dont understand it. Especially since they spend all day sitting on their ass staring at a screen at work. Why on earth would you just go home and do that?

T8SC

Gold Member
Awesome TV ended in 1999 when this finished:

MV5BZDBlZTU3ZTQtMWI0YS00YTJkLTk2YTQtYTQzMTBmODZkZTA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU0MzY0MjE@._V1_.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
There is certainly a lack of clear focus and single vision. A lot of TV these days feels very committee driven. The huge budgets make for good looking shows but limit risk taking and creativity IMHO. For every Mandalorian that needs that fat $$$ there are a dozen shows with beautiful sets, gorgeous actors, and fancy effects but lack any soul or voice.

I miss the heyday of Starz with real adult shit. Spartacus, Black Sails, etc. Stuff that justified itself.

fatty

You guys have gotten me to try Yellowstone. Looks like Paramount is doing a marathon this weekend so I will record it and see how it goes.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
TV at this point is better but there’s this weird belief that everything has to be a TV show. Btw TV has never been great just acceptable.

Last edited:
I saw Matt Berry in person. I wanted to ask to take a picture but he looked like he was chatting to a mate at a pub. Didn’t feel right interrupting him.
I don’t know how that guy can go anywhere without getting mobbed! Two of the best comedy television characters ever on his resume.

cryptoadam

Banned
Yes it is.

The age of awesome enterainment is over.

80s-2010s was basically peak. Movies and TV were at their top form. And its been downhill ever since then.

Network TV peaked in the 80's/90's. Cable was dominate mid 90's to 2010's. You will never get NBC's Thursday night line up again, or TGIF. Then forget about LOST or Sopranos/Wire style amazing TV.

Hollywood is too woke, to devoid of original ideas and creativity. The people growing up now are not being influenced by the classics. Instead they are being influenced by CGI woke crapola.

dcll

Banned
Every time I search best x movie, tv of 2020 etc I get the same damn big sites and I just ignore most because I’m assuming and maybe wrongly so most will be lists written by whinny and sensitive millennials that I don’t relate with. I just want to be able to find good recommendations and not lists that are woke/sjw tilted or inspired, any good sites I should check out?

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
The Third Day is horror-ish and fantastic

Yoboman

Jimmy Carr walked past me outside a pub in London, not a hope in hell I'd even shout "hello!" to him.

He looked like he was on a mission so he would have ripped me apart.

Was kinda cool though, he blessed my hair of the dog morning.
I saw Jimmy Carr at a grocery store in Los Angeles. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly

Top Bottom