• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batman: Arkham Knight season pass worth getting?

Lasty95

No bigger fan of the Arkham series than me.

The main AK campaign is a masterpiece, but single player dlc sadly is not really up to scratch.

The skins and batmobiles are really great fun though. Driving the 89 around Gotham was worth the admission charge footer me.

The base game has fun to be found if you've enjoyed the past games for sure. Although, the season pass is right next to being completely worthless. 90% of the content should have been free. It would be a waste of money.

Do you like paying too much money for costume skins, challenge maps that should have been part of the main game and small nuggets of story that are super shot but much better then anything the main game has as standard?

If so go for it.

Season of Infamy DLC is a must buy, wraps up so many characters and should have been in the base game.

Also 89 Batsuit & Asylum Batmobile(twice as fast as others)

Arttemis

Arkham Knight is flawed. They turned the Batmobile into a tank, and shoved too many tank sections into the game as mandatory story segments. That said, it has the best combat and gadget variety at your fingertips. I really wish they had focused more on creating engaging sections to use those elements instead of a tank that shouldn't have been in the game at all.

The season pass is way over priced. The stand-alone missions are pitifully small, with Batgirl's being the only one worth even playing... and that's still too small. The side missions DLC added to the campaign are the only part worth getting, and they're better than the tank parts, hands down.

If you can get the season pass for no more than $15, I'd say get it. You get the cool side missions, some cool skins, some one-off mini-missions to play around in.

Freeman76

The game is great but the season pass doesn't add enough to warrant the cost. I bought it 50% off and even that felt a bit too much. I really enjoyed the game though and wanted to extend its life as much as possible.

If you can get the game + season pass for the price you were willing to play for the main game alone, then it's worth it.

It's just more of the same type content that you find in the main game — if the pricing for getting it piecemeal is really cheap, you can get only the things you want (challenge maps, throwback costumes, retro Batmobiles, side-missions, etc.). Which is ... okay. Nothing about the season pass content holds up that well on its own — none of it feels like another "episode" of Batman, outside of the Batgirl DLC (which is pretty barebones without adding any substantially new gameplay or stories).

And therein lies the real tragic part of the way DLC has been treated in this series. Having the best video game adaptation of Batman's abilities, arsenal and movement be locked to essentially one big, yet straightforward story with only tiny tidbits of other stories being thrown in is a missed opportunity. In all Arkham games, the experiences are pretty much the safest, most straightforward type of Batman stories that rarely go anywhere unexpected, both gameplay-wise and from a story perspective.

Episodic content for a Batman game where each villain or storyline gets its due diligence could be amazing. The side-missions in City, Origins and Knight feel like challenge maps strung together at best — most of them in City and Origins barely reach on that level. The gameplay is great, yet the depth of the player moveset is rarely ever explored in the main game, and it only ever gets pushed to its limits in abstract challenge modes. The gameplay could be pushed to its limits within interesting and contextualized scenarios, but it's hard to do that within the framework of a larger game.

The side-content has its moments throughout Knight and the series overall, but rather than one attempt at an "end-all, be-all," Batman story that packs everything into one overall straightforward experience, I'd much prefer three-to-four very distinct games (from thematic, story and gameplay perspectives) that are comparable to Origins' Cold, Cold Heart DLC (which was a story lifted directly from Batman: The Animated Series, naturally), each having some new spin on the gameplay experience with a succinct story arc.

It seems that's been the nature of AAA games for a while now — the mentality and/or reality of "this is the only game we're making for five years, so we can't pass up on the opportunity to have these 20 different storylines in the game, but they have to coincide with one another." I'd still love to see future Batman games that mimic the comic origins and consist of multiple individual storylines that wrap up nicely, which might have overarching stories linking it all together.

Xav

I'm not sure if NeoGAF is the best place to ask for opinions on anything Batman Arkham Knight related. This forum is full of shit and hyperbole when it comes to that game.

In my opinion (for what it's worth), the season pass is alright. You get a bunch of stuff and it all ultimately adds up. The "story" content is a letdown and the skins are "meh" but the challenge maps are awesome if you're into that kind of stuff.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
If you are really into challenge maps, maybe

But even then it's hard to shake the feeling that you paid too much

Pretty big letdown IMO

Banned
I was one of the suckers who bought it. It's not worth it. The Arkham episodes are all less than an hour long. The costumes are ok I guess, at least the batman beyond one was epic.

But no. Don't buy it.

Gurish

I'm not sure if NeoGAF is the best place to ask for opinions on anything Batman Arkham Knight related. This forum is full of shit and hyperbole when it comes to that game.

In my opinion (for what it's worth), the season pass is alright. You get a bunch of stuff and it all ultimately adds up. The "story" content is a letdown and the skins are "meh" but the challenge maps are awesome if you're into that kind of stuff.

Yea, I mean Batmobile wasn't anything amazing but the hyperbole that goes around it like the game is now "shit" because of a couple of annoying sections? c'mon.

This game had some of the best moments in the entire series, I would argue it even had the best moments, it just lacked some consistency, some side stuff were pretty weak as well, finishing 100% to get the ending wasn't a good decision either, but still, it's an awesome and a worthy Batman game, whenever you'd rank it above or below AC and AA, the hyperbole that is going around here like it's bad is pretty much bullshit, if you like the Rocksteady's series you would love this one as well.

Arkham Knight is awesome, probably my most played game on PS4. The only things worth getting are The Season or Infamy and Batgirl DLC, otherwise the season pass is not worth it.

Looking at all the DLC as a whole i think you could make a case for the season pass, but Season of Infamy is by far the best of it...id say buy that and be done with it

Frozone

I loved AK -- but only because I played it in small increments. The DLC is very appealing because it has some bad-ass costumes, but no content worth anywhere near as much as the main game's story. They did release some side missions but they seem like the typical stuff.

In the end, if you want the costumes bad enough then go for the Season pass. If not, then pass on it.

Jedi2016

I would just buy the content you want. All I ended up getting was some of the costume packs, only spent a few bucks.

The game's enjoyable, I put a lot of hours into it (PS4 version).

I like the racing , enough to where i got a top 100 time on my favorite mission.

also like the batgirl and robin episodes a lot (not sure what pack they are a part of though) batgirls mission is one of the top 3 best. the game was really good imo adn it looks fantastic. Some of the main missions are great even if the later third is a bit eh

I bought the deluxe edition for $20 from a gaffer about a month ago and have enjoyed it thus far, though I haven't delved into the extra content yet. I do agree that the puzzles involving the batmobile have run its course, but I'm invested enough in the story to see it through to the end.

I would have liked if there weren't restrictions on the batmobile use during the main story. Using the classic 89 movie batmobile kind of goes in hand with the Keaton skin.

Just get the season of infamy dlc which is only ten bucks. It's integrated seamlessly into the campaign, and since you're on new game plus it won't feel weird playing it post game. None of the other dlc is worth the price. At least with this you're paying $2.50 per villain. Mad Hatter sucks but the rest are good.

JTripper

I got the ultimate edition that cost $17 during a price error

Still regret even downloading the season pass. It was awful compared to their other efforts

I got it through the same means and yeah, the season pass is definitely disappointing unless you're a trophy/achievement completionist or a fan of the challenge maps. The racing ones are particularly kinda cool. It adds a ton of trophies and challenge maps but the pieces of DLC that should have been great (the character ones) are easily the worst. Season of Infamy is the best piece of story-related DLC but it's not even that significant. It's basically more Most Wanted side-missions added to the campaign.

I earned every trophy so I got my fun and money's worth from the season pass at $17 but if I paid more than $25 for it I would have been pretty severely disappointed.

This is probably the most level-headed and reasonable response you'll get in this thread tbh. Not only Gaf, but there seems to be an unreasonable amount of hate for Arkham Knight as a whole that I do not understand.

Top Bottom