• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batmobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory?

Batman fighting physically large opponents isn't a rarity in the comics.

I don't think I'm in the minority. A lot of people who don't have a problem with the Bat-Tank sections just think they are passable. And in a game of great elements passable taking up so much precedence in the game is, for me, not a good thing.
Batman using weaponry from the Batmobile isn't a rarity in the comics either :p But there was no Titan in the comics!!

And you certainly seem to be haha. There's a few people who post over and over how much they hate it, but the rest either don't understand how to control the Batmobile (why can I never hack tanks? Why can't I change the controls?) or enjoy it.

Were you also complaining when Batman had to fight a lot of monsters in the first game? I don't remember Titan being in the comic books at all!.

Wow, great logic there.

I feel like Batman during tank sections because this is a reaction the character could have if faced with this scenario.

The character I know would look for other ways to disable the drone force, maybe with some kind of virus, or piece of technology that overrides or disables them. Or maybe he'd try and take them down at the source. He'd try and use his brain first, before he tried to destroy each drone individually with the batmobile.

Also, if Arkham Knight knows Batman so well, he'd have known that all he'd have to do is have the drones be manned and Batman couldn't destroy them.

The reality is the drones are just a poor excuse for including a completely unnecessary shooting component in the game.

Zakalwe

Banned
The Bat-Tank gameplay is dodging lines, occasionally dodging circles, and shooting at enemies or incoming missiles. There are some wrinkles, like the
hacking
, but there really isn't a lot of depth or difficulty to it. No real level design to speak of. No real strategic difficulty, other than "Now you're dodging more lines". It's quite a mindless shooting gallery, imo, and there was not a single time in the game where I was excited that one of the Bat-Tank sections were upcoming.

It's not mindless at all, simplistic doesn't mean bad.

It's a reflex and precision game, the skill is in making critical hits, keeping your combo up for as long as possible, prioritising targets, knowing when to use which secondary weapon, knowing where to dodge to when the lines appear and judging which drone is going to fire next...

I found it engaging as I tried to better my performance each time, just as I did in hand to hand. Both modes reward you the amount of effort you put in, or you can make it through both modes without caring about your score but that sounds incredibly boring to me...

The character I know would look for other ways to disable the drone force, maybe with some kind of virus, or piece of technology that overrides or disables them. Or maybe he'd try and take them down at the source. He'd try and use his brain first, before he tried to destroy each drone individually with the batmobile.

That's one approach, but the same could be said of any fight with a group of thugs. He could devise a piece of technology that takes them out without the need for physical altercation, but he doesn't and one important reasons is because he's a little bit twisted and enjoys getting his hands dirty.

Alienous

And you certainly seem to be haha. There's a few people who post over and over how much they hate it, but the rest either don't understand how to control the Batmobile (why can I never hack tanks? Why can't I change the controls?) or enjoy it.

There are even fewer posters who talk about how much they like the Battle-Mode.

Also, if Arkham Knight knows Batman so well, he'd have known that all he'd have to do is have the drones be manned and Batman couldn't destroy them.

The reality is the drones are just a poor excuse for including a completely unnecessary shooting component in the game.

lol, you might be on to something there.

Zakalwe

Banned
There are even fewer posters who talk about how much they like the Battle-Mode.

Not if this thread is anything to go by.

lol, you might be on to something there.

Only if you ignore the fact Batman could do this in almost every physical altercation he gets into, but he doesn't.

He likes to fight, he likes to hurt criminals and show them how capable he is, the fist have always been a part of the theatrics, explosions are an extension of that. It's all in keeping.

He doesn't always find the most intellectual way, and this is absolutely true throughout cannon.

ghibli99

Is the Batmobile actually objectively bad? It seems like the Batmobile was the one thing the vast majority of Arkham fans have wanted to see in the series for years, and now that it's here, maybe a vocal minority is making it out to be a bigger (negative) deal than it actually is. I don't know, judging by the responses here, most people seem in favor of it. I cancelled my order after the PC fiasco, but I might pick up the PS4 version soon so that I can actually play it (I need to for competitive analysis reasons anyway).

Zakalwe

Banned
Is the Batmobile actually objectively bad? It seems like the Batmobile was the one thing the vast majority of Arkham fans have wanted to see in the series for years, and now that it's here, maybe a vocal minority is making it out to be a bigger (negative) deal than it actually is. I don't know, judging by the responses here, most people seem in favor of it. I cancelled my order after the PC fiasco, but I might pick up the PS4 version soon so that I can actually play it (I need to for competitive analysis reasons anyway).

It's obviously not objectively bad, too many people in favour and and the split seems pretty even on like/dislike.

It's a divisive feature for sure.

Alienous

Not if this thread is anything to go by.

Only if you ignore the fact Batman could do this in almost every physical altercation he gets into, but he doesn't.

He likes to fight, he likes to hurt criminals and show them how capable he is, the fist have always been a part of the theatrics, explosions are an extension of that. It's all in keeping.

He doesn't always find the most intellectual way, and this is absolutely true throughout cannon.

1. Count it up, we'll see. Note, Battle-Mode, not the Batmobile entirely. People who like Battle-Mode vs people who dislike it. People who are ambivalent towards it don't count. I'll take pages 7-14, you take 1-6. One opinion per poster.

2. Theatrics don't count for shit against an AI controlled tank, haha.

A vote in favor of the tank gameplay.

If your guys' tally included the Batmobile in its entirety, it'd be in favor of its supporters. And the thread's about the Batmobile as a whole being "the worst thing in AAA games."

Blowing them all up and making the operator freak out is theatrical and might lower enemy morale, though.

It feels a lot like the Mako from Mass Effect 1.

I don't love the driving but the combat is okay. I just use the grapple and gliding to travel as much as I can so it doesn't feel like an overwhelming amount of Batmobile.

I think you are thinking of the vehicle from Mass Effect 2.

Zakalwe

Banned
1. Count it up, we'll see. Note, Battle-Mode, not the Batmobile entirely. People who like Battle-Mode vs people who dislike it. People who are ambivalent towards it don't count. I'll take pages 7-14, you take 1-6. One opinion per poster.

1. No, if you really want to prove how many more people dislike it then feel free. That won't change the fact I like it, and it won't really prove anything. :)

2. People control the drones. People are affected. Honestly, at this point you seem like you're not even thinking, just instantly trying to find a way to back up your reasoning...

ghibli99

It's obviously not objectively bad, too many people in favour and and the split seems pretty even on like/dislike.

It's a divisive feature for sure.
Thanks. Even though I read through most of this thread, maybe the thread title makes me think that the majority hates it.

That's one approach, but the same could be said of any fight with a group of thugs. He could devise a piece of technology that takes them out without the need for physical altercation, but he doesn't and one important reasons is because he's a little bit twisted and enjoys getting his hands dirty.

You're reaching now. Batman does love beating up bad guys. He trained for years to be able to do it. But there's no suggestion that extends to shooting things with the batmobile.

Mentok

Banned
Worst? I'd say these were more annoying:

-Scanning planets in Mass Effect
-The plank sections in TLoU. Really seemed pointless to me.

Generally:
-I also hate it where I have to press a button when scavenging (i.e. press a button to scan what the body/object has, then press a button to select each item).
-Human bullet sponges. Why does it take me half a clip to kill some guy not wearing any armour?

You're reaching now. Batman does love beating up bad guys. He trained for years to be able to do it. But there's no suggestion that extends to shooting things with the batmobile.

Batman has blown shit up forever. TDKR Bat-tank, animated Justice League Batplane missiles, explosive batarangs ...

The situation here calls for that. Those tanks could blow up cops, so Batman's blowing them up first. How is that incongruous with the character? And by "character," I don't mean your personal interpretation of it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It's divisive. I'd say the root of the Batmobile problems is the tank mode. The vehicle itself controls very well, is smartly designed on a gameplay level, and is integrated seamlessly into the flow of exploration and movement throughout the city. When it's integrated into quests that have you speeding along the city streets, tailing opponents, and side swiping, it feels fucking amazing.

Tank mode, while I might enjoy it, slows the pacing down significantly to become a fairly a rudimentary third person shooter. I figure they wanted it to be the "combat mode" equivalent of Batman's, but it has none of the variety or flair that on foot combat has, and is used surprisingly frequently throughout the main quest.

Zakalwe

Banned

It's not a reach at all, here's a breakdown:

1. Batman likes hurting thugs and showing bad guys how capable he is. Installing fear is a weapon.

2. Batman likes to be prepared, he has proven in countless cannon scenarios that he has a piece of tech for some very extreme situations.

3. He has almost limitless access to technology.

4. He doesn't always take the most intellectual route. Remember, this is a supremely damaged man who dresses up as a bat and enjoys hurting people.

5. Batman has used live rounds an explosives previously in cannon.

So, while there might not be a specific scenario where Batman has driven a tank and shot down a large amount of unmanned drones, if this scenario occurred (and it's perfectly plausible in his crazy, comicbook universe) this is a perfectly reasonable reaction for the character to have.

It's divisive. I'd say the root of the Batmobile problems is the tank mode. The vehicle itself controls very well, is smartly designed on a gameplay level, and is integrated seamlessly into the flow of exploration and movement throughout the city. When it's integrated into quests that have you speeding along the city streets, tailing opponents, and side swiping, it feels fucking amazing.

Tank mode, while I might enjoy it, slows the pacing down significantly to become a fairly a rudimentary third person shooter. I figure they wanted it to be the "combat mode" equivalent of Batman's, but it has none of the variety or flair that on foot combat has, and is used surprisingly frequently throughout the main quest.

Had "pursuit mode" been better integrated into combat and advertised as a feasible tactic, there'd be less of an immediate negative reaction. As it is, you can just ram straight through drone tanks and immediately blow them up (there's an upgrade for it), but you get targeted and shot much faster, despite the enemy tanks being unable to track their shots while you're in tank mode, somehow.

Alienous

1. No, if you really want to prove how many more people dislike it then feel free. That won't change the fact I like it, and it won't really prove anything. :)

2. People control the drones. People are affected. Honestly, at this point you seem like you're not even thinking, just instantly trying to find a way to back up your reasoning...

Ok.

Using Page 7.

10 good vs. 16 bad, ruling out ambivalence (so "I didn't mind it"), counting comments favourable to the Batmobile as a whole as 'good' even without Battle-Mode mentioned.

Using that as our sample you are indeed in the minority.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ok.

Using Page 7.

10 good vs. 16 bad, ruling out ambivalence (so "I didn't mind it"), counting comments favourable to the Batmobile as a whole as 'good' even without Battle-Mode mentioned.

Using that as our sample you are indeed in the minority.

Wow, you actually did it...

I wonder what you think that proves...

Batman has blown shit up forever. TDKR Bat-tank, animated Justice League Batplane missiles, explosive batarangs ...

The situation here calls for that. Those tanks could blow up cops, so Batman's blowing them up first. How is that incongruous with the character? And by "character," I don't mean your personal interpretation of it.

The post I was replying to was suggesting he was shooting the drones because he specifically enjoyed it. There's no evidence he enjoys that in the way he's often been shown to enjoy beating up bad guys.

And the situation doesn't automatically call for it. The situation calls for being contained. There are other ways to do it.

Alienous

Wow, you actually did it...

I wonder what you think that proves...

That most people didn't like the Battle-Mode, judging from the sample, which would put you in the minority, not me.

I'm not saying you're wrong for liking it, but you seem to have this idea that only a small number of people disliked it.

Loxley

I understand getting tired if it, but "the worst AAA mechanic in recent memory?" Huh? At it's worst, it's overused and the combat sections can get repetitive. But it's not like it's a broken mechanic or anything. The controls are tight and the encounters themselves are well-balanced. Personally I found just blasting around the city to be fun as hell (even better if you blast the Danny Elfman theme in the background).

The Batmobile combat sections are at their worst when you're just fighting the regular tank drones, because it's just not terribly exciting. They're at their best when the game tosses a wide variety of drones at you towards the end of the game. You really have to mind your surroundings and make good use of that boost-dodge mechanic. I will say that the game should've made it a little more clear to you that, hey, you're going to want to upgrade your Batmobile and its weapons before the last third of the game otherwise you might get frustrated. But if you've got a fully-upgraded Bat-tank, I think those last few encounters are pretty exciting.

The Riddler courses I could completely do without, those did feel arbitrary. But stuff like the Firefly or Intel chases through the streets I found to be really fun.

eot

Banned
Scanning planets for shit in Mass Effect 2 is the worst mechanic ever in a AAA title.

If you played it with a controller pre-patch I guess I could see that, but with a high sensitivity mouse it was quite enjoyable and not particularly time consuming. Plus if you imported a save you started with a lot of resources.

Oh, and it had this.

Nick

I looooooooved the Batmobile sections, but on Hard mode they can seriously test your patience. Upgrade your weapons early! You'll thank me later.

NastyBook

Tank mode bumper cars against rioter jelopies and tasering goons in the street is more fun that running peds over with impunity in GTAV.

I always wanted the Batmobile to be in one these games, but Rocksteady exceeded my expectations.

Trose

Neo Member
Is this the worst click bait thread title in recent memory? The OP doesn't justify their title at all. Pure hyperbole.

Zakalwe

Banned
Right.

Hmm... yeah, I guess.

Right, so you agree with me: I didn't ever say "only a small number dislike it". Even if the majority like it, there could still be a large amount of people who dislike it. I was suggesting it appears more equal.

How does language work?

Besides, you haven't fully accounted for those who just said "I like the BM" you haven't proven anything. Why don't you PM those people and find out for certain, you seem to enjoy this a lot, may as well be thorough. :)

joshcam19

I think the Batmobile is fantastic, it feels good, adds a nice variety to gameplay and above all else is fun. There's a few late game missions that get tedious but it's a minor gripe.

void666

Banned
If they ever make another batman game i hope they add the batmobile again. As long as it's an option for traversal and not a requirement for every aspect of the game.

And please, more pursuit mode and less tank mode.

Worst mechanic in recent AAA memory? Seriously?

I didn't read much of the thread because I'm not done with the game yet and I'm afraid of getting spoiled but you have to be kidding with that title.

I was one of the people that was against the idea of the Batmobile, but so many people wanted it, so many people said the game needed to move forward and that you needed the Batmobile, so Rocksteady gives gamers what they want and now it seems like they're getting shit on for it.

I love the Batmobile and think it's an absolutely fantastic addition to the series, a series which I can't imagine going forward without the Batmobile as a playable mechanic.

Norse360

The Batmobile itself is great IMHO and it's a great new way to get around Gotham. My issue is the amount of tanks I have to battle, it's just too much IMHO.

Is the Batmobile actually objectively bad? It seems like the Batmobile was the one thing the vast majority of Arkham fans have wanted to see in the series for years, and now that it's here, maybe a vocal minority is making it out to be a bigger (negative) deal than it actually is.

This is exactly correct.

I'll admit that the tank mode combat feels very out of place and stretches your "Batman does not kill" suspension of disbelief to ridiculous amounts, but it's not poorly done and is a nice change of pace from the main game now and then. I even like the Cobra fights a lot. Though I will agree that the Cloudburst tank fight is fucking annoying.

I would have liked it a lot more if it was optional to use, but the fact that a good portion of the game (so far, not done) revolves around using it really makes me dislike it and it's making me enjoy the game as a whole a lot less.

Recently the worst mechanic I've seen is the war table in Dragon Age: Inquisition -- it necessitated fast travel + long load time back to the home castle on a regular basis, when I'd otherwise be out exploring. Should have been made accessible from the menu, or maybe just be a tablet companion app.

No. I bought the game a few days after launch and heard about some of the concerns, but having played it, I think they've done a good job in the way it handles. However, I felt that they forced it into too many situations and that's my only gripe about it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I would list "the combat" from Witcher 3 as the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory.

I am not a fan of Bat-Tank though. They really just over-used the crap out of it.

Top Bottom