• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the handheld market in the West headed towards collapse?

Most of their handheld games are polygon based 3D games nowadays, next gen has to look significantly better than stuff like 3D Land, MK7 and Pokemon X/Y.

But at the same time (presumably) without any direct competition and perhaps ditching stereoscopic 3D they can achieve a good balance between graphics and pricepoint, without worrying about how an Uncharted game may look on a successor to PSV.

I really don't think they'll get off that easy with their next handheld. A $200 Vita level device should be very feasible in a few years.

Petrae

The dedicated handheld market isn't finished. It's just more of a niche market now, as the mobile sector has made handhelds redundant for a significant number of consumers, but that niche market still makes enough money that it's worth the while of at least one hardware company to keep delivering future platforms.

small44

A lot a people through consoles are dead too just because wii u fail look how xb1 and ps4 are doing now,people make the same mistake they look to fact without looking to reasons.
Wii u fail because it didn have support for third parties,psv is doing poor for the same reasons,3ds in other hand sell less then ds because of casuals.

Paracelsus

The market is dead, but the strength of Nintendo's first/second parties won't let them go down with it, so they're a good anomaly.

sörine

Banned
A lot a people through consoles are dead too just because wii u fail look how xb1 and ps4 are doing now,people make the same mistake they look to fact without looking to reasons.
Wii u fail because it didn have support for third parties,psv is doing poor for the same reasons,3ds in other hand sell less then ds because of casuals.
3DS looked pretty good it's first couple years too. You should prepare yourself for those launch aligned PS4 and One comparisons to not continue looking so flattering in the coming years. I

small44

sörine;143186986 said:
3DS looked pretty good it's first couple years too. You should prepare yourself for those launch aligned PS4 and One comparisons to not continue looking so flattering in the coming years. I

3DS support is not as strong as other years so an drop in it 3DS was expected but ps4 and xbox1 won't get less support then this years and ps4 didn't have any price cut if ps4 sale drop Sony will cut the price.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Didn't realise it hadn't already. Mobiles/Tablets/ipods have already killed off the portable market outside Japan.

The only people still buying them are us really.

-MB-

Didn't realise it hadn't already. Mobiles/Tablets/ipods have already killed off the portable market outside Japan.

GAF doesn't have a 20 million + userbase , so it is still way more then us buying these handhelds.

small44

If i knew that Vita support would be a lot worst then PSP i would not boughT one and millions of people didn't bought a vita because of that.

sörine

Banned
3DS support is not as strong as other years so an drop in it 3DS was expected but ps4 and xbox1 won't get less support then this years and ps4 didn't have any price cut if ps4 sale drop Sony will cut the price.
Support could decline 4 years in for them too. It's already declined from what 360 and PS3 had.

Top Bottom