• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the handheld market in the West headed towards collapse?

small44

sörine;143130895 said:
These are issues for core gamers but not really the markets that actually drive handhelds (casuals, kids). If anything mobile is worse than handhelds when it comes to localization delay.

Casuals leaving isn't the big issue. It's kids.

Kids will always bough Nintendo handheld because of it's first parties games

Dedicated handheld gaming is dead.

Didn't you get the memo?

There is no way any sane developer or publisher that is not locked into agreements with a platform owner would even consider releasing a title on a handheld rather than a mobile/tablet. Successful games on mobile/tablet are making daily profits that handheld titles can only dream about,

Dedicated handheld gaming is finished, Nintendo may blunder on for another generation or so but we're never going to see it return to it's previous glory days. Dedicated handheld hardware and software is too expensive to compete with mobiles and tablets.

Opt1kon_

i think phones and tablets have become a bigger factor in the handheld market as of late, but i'll definitely be contributing to the *new* 3DS next year i love playing pokemon games

Pricey software and smartphones. Nintendo would be in Samsung level if they had have the foresight of transforming the 3DS into a smartphone with a Google or Nokia parternship.

Bowl0l

Expected since Nintendo is being delusional that NA still has sales potential for 3DS and delayed New 3DS. Nintendo is incredible to believe that everyone will buy older inferior version of dedicated gaming hardware instead of a newer one....

Expected since Nintendo is being delusional that NA still has sales potential for 3DS and delayed New 3DS. Nintendo is incredible to believe that everyone will buy older inferior version of dedicated gaming hardware instead of a newer one....

I don't think that's anything to do with delusion, do you really think they have a special place in their heart for Australia?

Altima

sörine;143130895 said:
These are issues for core gamers but not really the markets that actually drive handhelds (casuals, kids). If anything mobile is worse than handhelds when it comes to localization delay.

Localize delay is the worst problem so far.

We barely have any game to play on 3DS and they refuse to put little afford to translate and release their game for western players.

It's not dead at all here. Its just that Nintendo isn't the only sheriff in town anymore. Apple and android are here to stay and have taken a huge piece of the pie for the young market.

It's so easy to give kids a tablet or phone now especially hand me downs. We have a spare iPhone 5 because the wife upgraded...that's an iPhone 5 that's still relevant and fully capable for use. It'll be my daughter's whenever she's capable of using it. It's that easy and many people do it...why buy a gaming handheld if you already have hand me down iPhones for free? Plus the youth love it. Its super portable and does more than just game.

Nintendo will be fine with handhelds here in the us, but they finally have fierce competition and its reflected in their same numbers

Eusis

Dedicated gaming handhelds have reached niche status at this point.

Hopefully this doesn't compound problems with niche genres, some of which see much of their success on handhelds, but it probably will.
That's my biggest problem with this. Had the situation been more or less the same as with the original Game Boy (a few interesting games, but most genres had similar but bigger, more fleshed out games on consoles) then it'd be disappointing but not something I'd lament or desperately want held on to. As is, consoles have become lame for JRPGs, strategy games rarely show up (though they've become more a PC genre in general), and handhelds had been an outlet for a certain type of middle ground game between AAA and small indie/cheap digital titles, and unfortunately that spot's been vanishing too.

EDIT: Although, I'd be kind of curious about the numbers for software versus before, and where. It has been speculated most of the casual audience has left and so we might be seeing similar software numbers, if not stronger outside of the casual stuff. Problem being that unlike consoles that dedicated base may not be large enough to justify continued development, except maybe into a digital-only approach. :/

sörine

Banned
Kids will always bough Nintendo handheld because of it's first parties games
Except they're not. You can look at Nintendo's own metrics, a good example being the average age of Pokémon buyers is rising while overall sales are slowing. They're not bringing in new kids and replenishing the audience.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's already dead

In a few years the handheld market will barely exist, solely occupied by a cheap, first party supported only Nintendo / Pokemon device . I don't see Sony doing another handheld after PS Vita. And no publisher in their right mind will support a portable console.

The world has changed. Tablets have taken over the portable console use case. With games like Walking Dead, TWAU, Clash of Clans, Best Fiends, Vain Glory, Banner Saga and Spy Master tablet gaming is finally much more exciting than portables are, even for a more demanding gamer like myself. Add to that the ability to have all your games one touch away, integrated social networking, lower cost of games, bigger screens, better graphics... Tablet gaming is bound to flourish.

Like many gamers I will miss console style controls on the go, but something has to give.

Eusis

sörine;143135800 said:
Except they're not. You can look at Nintendo's own metrics, a good example being the average age of Pokémon buyers is rising while overall sales are slowing. They're not bringing in new kids and replenishing the audience.
Yeah, that Pokemon/CoD picture is pretty close to reality, though I'd imagine it's actually more that Minecraft would fit in where CoD does given that seems to be THE big thing and it wasn't explicitly made for children in the first place, just happened to explode among them.

Its dead jim. The literal only thing that doesn't make mobile gaming as good as handheld gaming is tactile controls.

I can see a tru 3ds successor, but its going to be a niche device and will be abandoned by the the market at large within 2-3 years of launching. The majoriy of will not be gaming on handhelds by 2020.

Eusis

Nearly everyone disagrees with this viewpoint, which is why nobody is buying the things.
Admittedly I wonder how much of that is due to the selection offered so far. We're mostly seeing crappy controller add-ons that are grossly expensive and seemingly not marketed all that much, of course they won't take off in sales.

small44

sörine;143135800 said:

But Youkai watch is growing and if Youkai watch slow down there is always possibility to another kid game on Nintendo handheld to be bocome succesfull.

SmokyDave

It's not just the west. The smartphone / tablet gaming market in Japan is larger than the dedicated market (hardware and software combined).

It was astonishing to watch the speed at which smartphones took hold and then dominated.

Thank god for that or else we will be stuck with touch screen controls only and shallow adobe-flash quality games.
Some of the most original and creative games being released nowadays are smartphone games.

sörine

Banned
Localize delay is the worst problem so far.

We barely have any game to play on 3DS and they refuse to put little afford to translate and release their game for western players.
I don't feel that way at all but then in the past several months I've bought Smash Bros, Persona Q, Fantasy Life, Theathrhythm CC, Legend of Dark Witch, Mighty Gunvolt, AA Trilogy, Harvest Moon LV, Pokémon AS, Picross e5, KORG DSN-12 and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. YMMV obviously but a lot of content for 3DS (and Vita!) is still localized. I'd even say outside two key franchises (Dragon Quest and Kunio) pretty much everything I'm interested in on 3DS makes it's way over.

But Youkai watch is growing and if Youkai watch slow down there is always possibility to another kid game on Nintendo handheld to be bocome succesfull.
Perhaps you missed my original caveat, but it was outside Japan. Things are still okay(ish) in the Nihon.

Altima

sörine;143138176 said:
I don't feel that way at all but then in the past several months I've bought Smash Bros, Persona Q, Fantasy Life, Theathrhythm CC, Legend of Dark Witch, Mighty Gunvolt, AA Trilogy, Harvest Moon LV, Pokémon AS, Picross e5, KORG DSN-12 and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. YMMV obviously but a lot of content for 3DS (and Vita!) is still localized. I'd even say outside two key franchises (Dragon Quest and Kunio) pretty much everything I'm interested in on 3DS makes it's way over.

Perhaps you missed my original caveat, but it was outside Japan. Things are still okay(ish) in the Nihon.

Last games I bought for my 3DS is bravely default in February then Pokemon in November. (9 months with no interesting game(for me) to play)

I bought only 2 3DS games this years while I bought a lot of games for my console.

MilesTeg

Banned
Nintendo needs to hit it out of the park with their next handheld in this climate, that's for sure.

Price: Needs to launch at $199 tops, preferably $149.

Looks: Needs to look sexy, like the DS Lite did at the time. A decent screen, hopefully 720p.

Support for modern game engines: Needs to be decent under the hood and be able to easily run modern game engines, so mobile developers can bring their software to Nintendo device with minimum effort and minimum hassle.

First party software: They need big games day one, and a consistent release schedule after launch. The 3DS really failed in this regard which hurt sales potential significantly long term in overseas markets. The new development philosophy should help with this. Also, potentially lowering first party software prices.

eShop: Must be ready day one, support F2P games and heavy DLC, so must have adequate storage capacity.

Basically Nintendo needs to release a great machine day one. It can't have features missing like the eShop. Can't have features only fully realized two remodels later (3D). Must have consistent software output; the current 3DS release slate would be unacceptable for a new machine. Big first party titles day one, ideally launching in holiday season with stuff like Pokemon and 2D Mario. Must fully support F2P games and mobile software. Sleek design, an HD screen, and a price no higher than $199 day one.

Good luck Nintendo.

I really hope dedicated handhelds live on. I'm sure Nintendo will be more or less fine since they still have first party titles, Pokemon, etc, but the market for them has definitely shrunk since Gameboy and DS days.

VegiHam

If dedicated handhelds go away I want super competently done, good control, convenient remote play to become standard for home consoles. I can't do the whole 'stay looking at a TV screen' thing, love handhelds for the ability to move around the house, lie in bed, sit in different chairs etcetera.

...or, alternatively, more of the kind of games I like on phones. Or a phone designed around games that doesn't crash frequently or overwhelm me with adds and IAPs.

Handhelds will always be around as long as companies learn to market them properly and don't expect sales similar to those of home consoles if the company's not willing to provide a reason to buy said system.

Sony not marketing the Vita is the primary reason why it hasn't been selling well, not because nobody wants a portable. That's why nearly everyone with a Vita is happy with it, and anyone without one thinks it's a dead system. Contrarily, Nintendo's still releasing great first-party titles on 3DS and more importantly, advertising, so their sales are still doing pretty well.

The handheld market will never be as big as the home console market again, since smartphones have given the average person a way to play a $0.99 game when their bored instead of having to buy a $200 system with $40 games. But because video games will always be an existing market, I don't see any reason a portable system won't be able to survive in the future.

Also a little side-note, I feel like cross-buy and cross-play will be a big factor with the next generation of handhelds. Being able to keep my Binding of Isaac save with me across my PS4 and Vita, and using my 3DS as a controller in Smash Bros, were game-changers for me.

small44

sörine;143138176 said:

Isn't smartphones very popular in Japan too,if they can attract Japanese child despite smartphone they can do the same in west with child games that attract west child

Duxxy3

Systems cost too much, so don't the games. Market would be healthier if 3ds never existed and ds was dropped to $99 and then lower. High end graphics are not needed for handhelds.

nkarafo

Some of the most original and creative games being released nowadays are smartphone games.
I'm willing to bet that the games you have in mind are restricted to the only genres that can work well with a touch screen only interface. Strategy, card games and point & click adventures.

Sony not marketing the Vita is the primary reason why it hasn't been selling well, not because nobody wants a portable. That's why nearly everyone with a Vita is happy with it, and anyone without one thinks it's a dead system.

It boggles my mind that people still believe this nonsense.

Vita failed because it was conceived and designed for a market that no longer exists (teen/adult males who want to play complex, console-style 3D games on the go). Sony could have spent five times as much on advertising and it wouldn't have mattered much in the end.

The bolded may well be true, but that tends to be true of niche products. Which is what Vita is, not something that could have ever been a mainstream hit had Sony tried harder to awaken the ignorant sheeple to its magnificence.

TSM

I think the bigger issue isn't even whether another dedicated handheld can move units. It's what kind of third party support you can reasonably expect. The hardware is pretty pointless without compelling software to play.

cheetodust

Neo Member
Thank god for that or else we will be stuck with touch screen controls only and shallow adobe-flash quality games.

This sums up how I feel too. Imo most of the people asserting that the market is dead and gone probably haven't picked up a 3DS or any dedicated handheld recently. The games available for it are outstanding and the quality of gameplay on a 3DS is not in any way comparable to mobile games you can play on your phone/tablet.

And anyways I'm not convinced that people would honestly embrace the death of games like Pokemon as we know them now, replaced with a cheap watered-down version for tablets. The market has changed for sure but that doesn't mean there isn't still a large amount of people who prefer deeper, higher quality portable games.

I'm willing to bet that the games you have in mind are restricted to the only genres that can work well with a touch screen only interface. Strategy, card games and point & click adventures.
Well yeah you got that right but I don't see how that disputes Dave's claim.

Nintendo needs to push for western support too.

Japanese games can only take you so far, PSP had a great start thanks to all the western developed games.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nintendo needs to hit it out of the park with their next handheld in this climate, that's for sure.

Price: Needs to launch at $199 tops, preferably $149.

Looks: Needs to look sexy, like the DS Lite did at the time. A decent screen, hopefully 720p.

Support for modern game engines: Needs to be decent under the hood and be able to easily run modern game engines, so mobile developers can bring their software to Nintendo device with minimum effort and minimum hassle.

First party software: They need big games day one, and a consistent release schedule after launch. The 3DS really failed in this regard which hurt sales potential significantly long term in overseas markets. The new development philosophy should help with this. Also, potentially lowering first party software prices.

eShop: Must be ready day one, support F2P games and heavy DLC, so must have adequate storage capacity.

Basically Nintendo needs to release a great machine day one. It can't have features missing like the eShop. Can't have features only fully realized two remodels later (3D). Must have consistent software output; the current 3DS release slate would be unacceptable for a new machine. Big first party titles day one, ideally launching in holiday season with stuff like Pokemon and 2D Mario. Must fully support F2P games and mobile software. Sleek design, an HD screen, and a price no higher than $199 day one.

Good luck Nintendo.

So, basically a $149 Vita?

This sums up how I feel too. Imo most of the people asserting that the market is dead and gone probably haven't picked up a 3DS or any dedicated handheld recently. The games available for it are outstanding and the quality of gameplay on a 3DS is not in any way comparable to mobile games you can play on your phone/tablet.

And anyways I'm not convinced that people would honestly embrace the death of games like Pokemon as we know them now, replaced with a cheap watered-down version for tablets. The market has changed for sure but that doesn't mean there isn't still a large amount of people who prefer deeper, higher quality portable games.

I feel it's the other way around - people who dismiss mobile / tablet games as shallow Flash games haven't clearly played Walking Dead, Vain Glory, Banner Saga or Spymaster. All of them are rich and deep games that are more immersive and deeper than many 3DS games.

RedSwirl

I've been thinking. Maybe the future of hardcore handheld games really is as just an extension of core console gaming.

Nintendo's been implying its next cycle of hardware is just gonna be a handheld and console form factor that share the same library of software, so they'll be able to make games that run on both. This would be an answer to the problem of audiences with diverging preferences in where and how they play games. Nintendo right now is trying to simultaneously please an audience in Japan that mainly plays games on portable systems, and audiences in the west that prefer consoles. It's already having to make basically two versions of every game to satisfy these demographics. With this unified ecosystem approach they could simply make games people can play wherever they want, whether that be at home on a big TV or on a device they carry with them. It wouldn't be handheld games and console games anymore, but just games.

TSM

The fact people haven't grasped yet that there's a mid-ground between "DS levels of success" and "market collapse" in three years is concerning.

The breaking point is when 3rd party developers won't make compelling software for the machine. It becomes a chicken and an egg situation.

mstevens

My niece and nephew, who are both huge Nintendo fans and always ask to play my 3DS and Wii U, are getting crappy tablets for Christmas instead of 2DS/3DS. Their gaming fate is sealed.

Delio

I know when it does go away I will miss games like Pokemon. Also they will need to release more games on android.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm not surprised 3DS numbers are down the month before the New 3DS launches, people are gonna hold out for that revision once it was announced.

My niece and nephew, who are both huge Nintendo fans and always ask to play my 3DS and Wii U, are getting crappy tablets for Christmas instead of 2DS/3DS. Their gaming fate is sealed.

Well shit, if only they had a cool uncle to buy them a couple of cheap 2DSes.

MetalSlug

I believe in europe things are much much worse.I can see that from the people I know no one except me has a handheld, while about 10 years ago about 40 of those had at least one of GBA/GBAsp.

I'm from the UK and I don't think I've seen a single person with a 3DS or Vita. Out of all my friends, I'm the only one with a 3DS.

I've been thinking. Maybe the future of hardcore handheld games really is as just an extension of core console gaming.

Nintendo's been implying its next cycle of hardware is just gonna be a handheld and console form factor that share the same library of software, so they'll be able to make games that run on both. This would be an answer to the problem of audiences with diverging preferences in where and how they play games. Nintendo right now is trying to simultaneously please an audience in Japan that mainly plays games on portable systems, and audiences in the west that prefer consoles. It's already having to make basically two versions of every game to satisfy these demographics. With this unified ecosystem approach they could simply make games people can play wherever they want, whether that be at home on a big TV or on a device they carry with them. It wouldn't be handheld games and console games anymore, but just games.

This is a great summary of what their stated strategy is. I'm not sure if it will work but I think it's the best possible path forward for them.

I won't believe the handheld market has collapsed until Nintendo puts out a good handheld that flops.

If even they can't manage decent sales at their best, the whole segment is as good as dead and buried.

Ansatz

Systems cost too much, so don't the games. Market would be healthier if 3ds never existed and ds was dropped to $99 and then lower. High end graphics are not needed for handhelds.

Most of their handheld games are polygon based 3D games nowadays, next gen has to look significantly better than stuff like 3D Land, MK7 and Pokemon X/Y.

But at the same time (presumably) without any direct competition and perhaps ditching stereoscopic 3D they can achieve a good balance between graphics and pricepoint, without worrying about how an Uncharted game may look on a successor to PSV.

Top Bottom