• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is There Any Fanservice In Western Games For Straight Men Anymore?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
seems like namco still doesn't care.

Namco is a Japanese company

tbh this is one of the reasons i mostly play Japanese games. currently i'm playing Bayonetta 1 & 2 on Nintendo Switch.

feel like they have less hang ups. in the USA violence is more ok in marketing than sex. just look at how many Law & Order spin offs there are. we even have the uber popular "Special Victims Unit". sex is fine to show in primetime so long as it is being ritualistically punished.

I find it really funny that NetherRealm devs are covering all the women just to protect the feelings of Female gamers and to fight the toxic male "gaze"

DxKa3lMUwAAwLMe.jpg

While at the Mortal Kombat 11 reveal event Female gamers showed the devs what outfits they want in the game

DxIjPc3VAAAHT2s.jpg

Helios

I find it really funny that NetherRealm devs are covering all the women just to protect the feelings of Female gamers and to fight the toxic male "gaze"

While at the Mortal Kombat 11 reveal event Female gamers showed the devs what outfits they want in the game

DxIjPc3VAAAHT2s.jpg
And yet the female that shows the least skin has the most interesting design. Bear in mind that these cosplays from what I understand were commissioned by NR. If they went full SJW, why would they allow the cosplayers to dress up as something they don't want?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And yet the female that shows the least skin has the most interesting design. Bear in mind that these cosplays from what I understand were commissioned by NR. If they went full SJW, why would they allow the cosplayers to dress up as something they don't want?

Maybe they put these bland designs in as the base shit, and the DLC will be the designs that were inspired from the old games and cosplayers. ;)

Last edited:

These cosplayers are also gamers, if you see their twitter pages you will know that. i dont think they can force these cosplayers to wear something they dont want to wear, it will be a PR disaster.

Helios

Maybe they put these bland designs in as the free shit, and the DLC will be the designs that were inspired from the old games and cosplayers. ;)
I'm not saying that I would be surprised if they started selling them as DLC but previously these were unlocked from playing the Tower or by opening stuff in the Krypt.
These cosplayers are also gamers, if you see their twitter pages you will know that. i dont think they can force these cosplayers to wear something they dont want to wear, it will be a PR disaster.
There are obvious PR-friendly ways to "request" certain costumes. They are also not forcing anyone to cosplay.
At most, they just wouldn't host a cosplay event if they didn't want people to showcase what they did in the past.

Last edited:
I can gaze at women in clothes just as easily as women half naked. Hell, have you see yoga pants? Gawd damn. And girls just wear those out, like it was normal everyday clothes for them. You're in line at a Five Guys and the girl in front of you is wearing yoga pants, and you're like, I can see the entirety of your ass crack. How do they make clothing that goes so far up there without it being uncomfortable? Personally, I like my ass cheeks to be bridged by my clothing of comfort, not invaded. The only time I've ever worn clothing that tight was to prevent blood clots in my legs.

I know she's a real person, with hopes and dreams, with money problems and family emergencies, and that she has autonomy and spirit and internal beauty, and all that, but holy crap, I just want to stick little green army men in there and reenact the trench warfare of France during WW1.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Personally I am not a fan of "sexy" out of context.
Have no issues with nudity or sexuality in a game, as long as it fits.
Having a warrior woman wear armor that looks sexy but would offer no protection feels like an immature move, and doesn't work for me.
Devs should be allowed to do what they want, but if the point of adding "sexy" is just for the "Ooooh, BOOBIES!", it more then likely won't appeal to me or my wallet

This is how I feel. I don’t have a problem with Aloy wearing clothing that covers her up. It’s suppose to be a more realistic sci-fi story so it makes sense. There is nothing about that character that screams “sexy”.

But, an unsexy Black Cat and a homely looking Mary Jane is stupid. There’s already character history with these two in the comics that you suddenly change for an obvious political agenda.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can gaze at women in clothes just as easily as women half naked. Hell, have you see yoga pants? Gawd damn. And girls just wear those out, like it was normal everyday clothes for them. You're in line at a Five Guys and the girl in front of you is wearing yoga pants, and you're like, I can see the entirety of your ass crack. How do they make clothing that goes so far up there without it being uncomfortable? Personally, I like my ass cheeks to be bridged by my clothing of comfort, not invaded. The only time I've ever worn clothing that tight was to prevent blood clots in my legs.

I know she's a real person, with hopes and dreams, with money problems and family emergencies, and that she has autonomy and spirit and internal beauty, and all that, but holy crap, I just want to stick little green army men in there and reenact the trench warfare of France during WW1.

I just can't, lol. But I feel you, hahaha.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm so offended! how dare these developers dismiss my feelings and rights!

i'm glad that there is no fanservice! if any developer dares to repress or misrepresent me then i will boycott them.

wait...*record scratch* this ain't ResetEra.

give me all the Overwatch, Witcher fanservice pls!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I really hope for some freedom in the customization mode.

People are starting to ask Ed Boone on Twitter if he is scared of sjws, of course those tweets are going unnoticed but there seems to be quite a few complaints about the faces and the uninspiring outfit designs.

I may be the minority here, and this is a shocker, but... I honestly think that the new Lara is more attractive.

Please don't come with the pitchforks and torches!

Yeah I miss that too. I love me some sexy women in my games, I just love them.

But you know what, gayness is a thing in gaming nowadays. Not that I have a problem with it, not at all, but enter in whatever discussion on Discord or any platform and be eloquent to a sexy woman tits, you'll be immediately ramped down. Sucks.

RedVIper

Banned
I may be the minority here, and this is a shocker, but... I honestly think that the new Lara is more attractive.

Please don't come with the pitchforks and torches!

I don't think anyone thinks she's unattractive (Although her face sometimes falls unto the uncanny valley). But they complexly changed her design to be way less sexual.

Javthusiast

Banned
Just like it happens with blockbuster movies. Not necessarily from Sony and Microsoft but also WB in this case. Games stopped being a venture of just a small group of individuals and just like with movies, producers also have a big say in how things will turn out.

Well at least the dceu so far hasn't shied away from having sexy costume designs. We have Wonder Woman, Harley Quin, Mera. Way sexier than anything mcu does.

Last edited:
With regards to Nu-Lara and the topic of this thread, while I also don't find her unattractive, like with many of the female characters designed by--or geared towards--the West, I also wouldn't say there's anything "fanservice" about her design, which at least in spirit is in pretty stark contrast to the original version of the character.

Javthusiast

Banned
Get the fuck over it already, gamers like sex appeal, that's all there is to it.

This exactly. What they are trying to do is basically supress people being attracted to sexy things, which just will never happen. You can't erase that shit from our fucking dna.

Last edited:
This exactly. What they are trying to do is basically supress people being attracted to sexy things, which just will never happen. You can't erase that shit from our fucking dna.
What we find attractive changes over time due to social and physiological changes. For instance, large and in charge women used to be sexy because it meant they were getting fed enough, while now we like girls that spend more time jogging by a library than going into one. And there was this dark time called the 70s when unshaven armpits were... you know what, let's just not go there.

It can even change within one person's lifetime. Like for example, I never once gave ankles a second though. My mind really went straight for the good stuff, and I think I missed out of a lot of quality stuff there. Ears too. I mean, ears can be sexy. Never thought they were sexy, but here we are. I mean, it's not like I can spank to just an ear. I've tried. It doesn't work. It's more like my tastes have broadened as I've grown older, and I've come to appreciate the less traveled body parts. My palette has become more refined with age. Kids may like the Lucky Charms, but I'll take Raisin Bran any day. That's got fiber. It's good for the bowels. Women are the same way. You can't just go for the sweet stuff. You have to think about the fiber too. You want a woman with good marshmallows AND is good for the bowels. That's the wisdom of age talking there.

I guess what I'm saying is that tastes change, but here, they are trying force this change on unwilling people. It's like trying to get a Lucky Charms kid to eat Raisin Bran. Regardless of whether it is good for him or not, the only thing that kid is thinking is, "What the fuck is this? Raisins? Mother fucker took my marshmallows." You can't expect him to thank you for it.

Nymphae

Banned
And there was this dark time called the 70s when unshaven armpits were... you know what, let's just not go there.

I'm kind of curious what caused the drastic change in societal views on this. It was everywhere, then all of a sudden everyone hated it, and it's never made a comeback.

I'm kind of curious what caused the drastic change in societal views on this. It was everywhere, then all of a sudden everyone hated it, and it's never made a comeback.
What happened is that third wave feminism started to die down and men no longer had to pretend to like hairy armpits to get laid.

Let's hope the fourth also dies in a fire and soon.
It will die when guys stop pretending to like hairy armpits, but unfortunately, there's still a lot of guys out there who think the only way they'll get laid is if they allow themselves to be used and abused by very angry women.

Let's boil down the reason as to why this is happening.

A meme has been spread that sexy is offensive to female gamers so developers go out of their way to avoid it for fear of offending female gamers.

When you look at it that way it makes sense why even the MK devs will kowtow to this, nobody wants a big PR disaster, but the thing is, it's all a lie, the people who complain about sexy characters do not play video games or at least definitely don't play games like Mortal Kombat, they're just trolls intentionally trying to make video games worse because they hate gamers and see us as "the enemy"

Real female gamers like sexy character designs, as evident by the countless cosplay you see as sexy characters, a normal, sane woman does not see sexy as an attack against them, they like it, they like to live vicariously through these characters, they find it cool.

Devs need to learn to just ignore the vocal minority of SJWs, they do not represent their audience, the world will not end if they choose to simply ignore them.

I have a feeling Cyberpunk 2077 is when this trend will end, the game will be sexy and is sure to be a big hit, that will send the message that sexy is fine to have in a AAA game.

petran79

Banned
When you look at it that way it makes sense why even the MK devs will kowtow to this, nobody wants a big PR disaster, but the thing is, it's all a lie, the people who complain about sexy characters do not play video games or at least definitely don't play games like Mortal Kombat, they're just trolls intentionally trying to make video games worse because they hate gamers and see us as "the enemy"

I agree. Eg no matter how I like a sexy character in a fighting game, if I were to train and play for hundreds of hours with the same character, it would kill any kind of stimulus and I'd focus on other things like strategy, hit frames, defense and offense tactics etc But they can not grasp that because they only played a few minutes just to rage and foam. Even if I hated a character due to the design, even if it was oversexualised, I'd be interested in them if they had interesting gameplay.

CatCouch

Just watching his stream and he starts talking about this thread around the 52:30 mark

Jaffe gets it. I hate the way that you're pushed to conform with a narrow definition of what art is (often enough it's a political view) or face backlash. It doesn't feel genuine, Some people tell me my art is too sexual so it's bad. Art is art, it can be many things, people who define art by what it isn't and not what it can be annoy me to no end.

It used to be people who were not artists that did it (along with newbie artists who would claim digital art is "cheating") but now I see it increasingly coming from artists who appear to want praise for stepping on artists they deem beneath them. I see it most common with artists who criticize Japanese games and animation like the whole country is just not "art" anymore. It's sad.

From my experience I see men more often than women who criticize sexy women. It feels like men speaking for women some of the time thinking they are helping, you know? It's weird to watch videos of two or three dudes talk about how disrespectful art in a game is to women. I hated that back when sites like 1up started doing it and I still see it now in Japanese game reviews.

Glad he brought up the double standard with Dragon's Crown. Fantasy Dudes are okay but fantasy women are a problem? There's a good point that Mortal Kombat 9 women all had similar body types and outfits but I don't think the right fix for that is to remove all of the sexy outfits. It's weird how they flip from all sexy to very little sexy. Find the middle ground to please the actual consumer! (They did a fairly good job with Injustice 2, actually).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In that stream one of the callers said he liked Soyna's new look more because she is now looks more "realistic". Is MK series ever been about "realism"? MK series has crazy and over the top gore and violence but characters having sexy design is consider too "cartoony"?

Like I said, THANK GOD for Japanese games. Without them I would have quite gaming long time a go.

KOMANI

KOMANI
It kind of has, hasnt’t? At least it started off that way, using digitized sprites for their characters.

Deuterion

Don’t be so disgusted with the far left and its outrage culture that you cannot see the nuance in the discussion. Having games where everyone has full body armor but the one female character’s armor has a cutout to show her cleavage is immature and ruins the immersion for me. Since everyone is also mentioning Lara Croft, I think the new design is infinitely more sexy than previous versions. My all time favorite was the Lara from the Tomb Raider reboot she was like a first year Rachel Ray level of sexy and this new one is still sexy as well but she’s dirty and fucking raiding tombs so of course she isn’t gonna always look cute. But that model cleaned up in a dress with those curves would be ultra sexy but the game is about her exploring not about her being dolled up...hence her looking a hot mess sometimes. Sexy does not mean lewd or skimpy...be real and just admit that your aim is not for sexy women in games, it’s for underdressed women.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Best solution would be to add both sexy and normal costumes for both genders, leaving it to the players to choose.
Not excluding one side over the other

Last edited:

Deuterion

The first picture below is from Shadow of the Tomb Raider and if she isn’t sexy to you then I question if you know what sexy is. The problem I feel people have with depictions like this is that they’re too realistic, they don’t play into people’s fantasies. Lara (in the picture below) looks just like the rock climbing chick you saw at Whole Foods who declined when you asked for her number. She reminds a lot of gamers of what they can’t get in the real world they are trying to escape which is why they want as much exposed tits and ass as possible. If this applies to you that’s fine but don’t try to mask your argument using the word sexy.

This is realistic sexy...if you’re ever lucky enough to have sex the woman is gonna look like this:
lara.jpg

This is fantasy and doesn’t look anything like a real woman:
latest

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Don’t be so disgusted with the far left and its outrage culture that you cannot see the nuance in the discussion. Having games where everyone has full body armor but the one female character’s armor has a cutout to show her cleavage is immature and ruins the immersion for me. Since everyone is also mentioning Lara Croft, I think the new design is infinitely more sexy than previous versions. My all time favorite was the Lara from the Tomb Raider reboot she was like a first year Rachel Ray level of sexy and this new one is still sexy as well but she’s dirty and fucking raiding tombs so of course she isn’t gonna always look cute. But that model cleaned up in a dress with those curves would be ultra sexy but the game is about her exploring not about her being dolled up...hence her looking a hot mess sometimes. Sexy does not mean lewd or skimpy...be real and just admit that your aim is not for sexy women in games, it’s for underdressed women.

So uglification in women doesn't exist? Thanks for notifying us, we will be sure to take those words to heart when the next Tomb Raider developer loudly proclaims that they purposely made Lara less attractive and gave her a lesbian personality.

CatCouch

I think the best solution is to let different artists make the games they want for the audiences they have (seriously, game devs/publishers need to stop rejecting audiences they already have in hopes of gaining that mythical "wider audience").

The issue isn't necessarily what people do or do not find sexy, that's in the eye of the beholder. I personally want furry and anthro sexy back. That's the kind of art I love both male and female sexy in. I'm loving how hot Wolf and incineroar are in Smash Ultimate! I find anthro males super attractive, even characters like King in Tekken!

The issue as I see it is the obvious lack of freedom to design what you want. Different people have different tastes and there is nothing wrong with that.

I typically don't buy into the idea that characters like Lara reminds gamers of women they can't have so they want to escape into fantasy games. Western realism and anime are just different styles, they are no meant to be pitted against each other. One is not superior to the other. I also don't buy into the idea that wanting more representation for gay and minority characters means the player is insecure or is pushing an agenda. I hear those things all the time and while it may be true for a minority of people it's definitely not a majority.

I think people tend to forget that games are art as well as entertainment. Artists design the characters, they spend their lives working on their craft so I don't think it's fair to expect them to all create the same type of designs just to fit a current social climate. It's definitely not fair to chastise them for creating what they want.

I really feel as if people over-analyze this stuff. Not all art or creations are meant to be deeply analyzed. They are not flawed if they don't have a deep meaning. You can't pigeon-hole people who like things one way or the other, it leads to ridiculous stereotypes and bullying (like calling people incels or harassment campaigns).

People are way more complicate than we give credit for.

Top Bottom