• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Valhalla (at this time), the most beautiful open world?

The new Assassin's Creeds are all beautiful.
assassins-creed-origins2017-10-23-19-26-57-100740108-orig.jpg

aeae0e740d91275e838b64feda3b1d5c.gif

giphy.gif
Granted I only had a base PS4 but I don't remember origins looking THAT good. The second pic (the gif) looks amazing..... Particularly the daytime scene.

Last edited:

Gusy

I dare anyone to take a stroll around Kabuki between 4pm and 6pm and tell me with a straight face that they have seen a more incredible looking open world than the one crafted for Cyberpunk.

I stand by this take even on a PS5..

VFXVeteran

Banned
I dare anyone to take a stroll around Kabuki between 4pm and 6pm and tell me with a straight face that they have seen a more incredible looking open world than the one crafted for Cyberpunk.

I stand by this take even on a PS5..
I would have to agree with this. Valhalla does look awesome though. Cyberpunk is a step up because of it's RT lighting and overall detailed assets.

GymWolf

miles behind of Ghost of Tsushima. platinum both, searched every corner, saw everything. not even a competition.
They have different point of strenght, water in tsushima looks like ps3 water compared to water in valhalla.

Horizon look better than both tbh.

Laptop1991

i love the open world look of Valhalla and i'm biased as well as i'm English, it's just a shame about a lot of the content inside it along with the bugs!, as for the most beautiful, it's one of them, RDR 2 looks great as well, and Cyberpunk, there isn't a lot of competition, if at this time means released recently to be fair.

Andodalf

Banned
Its a toss up between RDR 2 and Warlords of New York imho. The later is sheer insanity when taking in account that its an online game, honestly I just dont understand why Ubisoft isnt using Snowdrop in everything

If I buy warlords can I go straight to NYC in Division 2? I've got the base game but can't get in to playing in DC, NY is what made the first game great.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Red dead Redemption 2 is a more beautiful open world. I think Valhalla is lovely, but I also thought that Odyssey was more interesting to me for the historical context. I just made it to Lunden in Valhalla and it is nothing like visiting the acropolis. I thought the Acropolis in Odyssey and Delphi were highlights. Having been there in person and then seeing them in their prime was beautiful. Going to Lunden, was basically, look at this disgusting town.

Sygma

If I buy warlords can I go straight to NYC in Division 2? I've got the base game but can't get in to playing in DC, NY is what made the first game great.

think you need to be done with the campaign in the base game before being able to get in NY

Its on a smaller scale tho but jesus fuck the details and ALL the main missions in there are a constant visual treat, you really get that urban jungle environment in a devastated city depiction and its pretty spectacular. Honestly I know that a lot of people weren't sold on Div 2's art direction but it really comes together at high resolutions AND with HDR enabled, one of the very best looking open world and its not even a competition as far as online games goes

Phase

God I can't wait to see Stalker 2's open world and it's lighting.

For an answer to this thread I'd like to throw in the Division 1 and 2 worlds. Very beautiful.

I play it maxed out on a 3090...and sometimes load it up on my series x. Looks insane on console

But....after playing through areas like Jorvik and the place Vili lives on my PC?...Yeah its up there for sure

Mossybrew

No. It has its moments but too much of the world is just samey brown English backwoods. It's a rather bleak and depressing world a lot of the time. I wouldn't even put it in my top ten.

Codes 208

While the gameplay was meh at best, rdr2 looks better. But if we’re talking most breath taking in general my vote goes to GoT

Valentino

I was about to ask what on earth they meant by SOTR, it’s not like it’s a commonly used abbreviation.

Also, is it even open world? (I don’t know, I’ve not played it.)
Shadow has a linear/hub spaced world. So it's fun to explore the big open spaces yet your able to memrise and adjust to that space because they aren't unnecessarily big.

Braag

It's up there. During certain moments it looks very beautiful.
But overall I'd rate RDR2 and CP2077 PC versions above it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Valhalla sits in the 80s on MetaCritic but I think it’s better than that, Ubisoft went all in on graphics, and RPG.

Playing through it right now, and I have to say, hell no.

AC Origins, RDR2, Ghost, Cyberpunk. Recent games which imo stomp it.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

what? where does all this praise for this game come from? seriously..its nowhere near the most beautiful open world game let alone a good game. its terrible in most ways.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I liked Odyssey as a game much better, I preferred the setting in Origins more, but for visuals; Valhalla on the Series X is breath-taking. I would say it rivals Gears 5, even G5 Hivebusters as the best looking game I've seen so far.

zcaa0g

Banned
I may be weird in this, but BoTW is still the best looking art style ive seen in a game, a litreal playble studio ghibli film

When referring to "art style" in BoTW, art style is just another name for bad graphics. The lighting, shadows and color arrangement is atrocious. It's like the game was attacked with Clorox bleach.

I'll probably be spat on for this, but I think visually and the in game physics of The Last of Us Part 2 have set the gold standard imo. Ghost of Tsushima is a beautiful game though no arguments there.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I still feel GoT has this beat. Even though the assets are somewhat downgraded from the original trailers, the sense of atmosphere in Ghost is pretty much unmatched. Can't wait to see it on PS5.

Honestly Horizon Zero Dawn probably has this beat too.

Last edited:

TVexperto

RDR2 looks 10000x better, especially the draw distance, details, foliage and lighting.

Even Star Citizen looks better

I still feel GoT has this beat. Even though the assets are somewhat downgraded from the original trailers, the sense of atmosphere in Ghost is pretty much unmatched. Can't wait to see it on PS5.

Honestly Horizon Zero Dawn probably has this beat too.
GoT art design and use of color and lighting makes it shine but on technical level AC doing lot more stuff and has bigger scope.

RDR2 beats em all thoug. On technical level RDR2 is unmatched atm

Top Bottom