• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Valhalla (at this time), the most beautiful open world?

cormack12

Gold Member
Got to be honest, it's up there with a shout for me. In the Valhalla OT, Exentryk Exentryk has been doing the lord's work and posting some excellent screenshots. Probably Tsushima comes close for me but leans heavily on its art style for it whereas Valhalla is going for the ultra realistic look. Warlords of New York blew me away as well (just the city).

uXK83Rb.jpg

I5zbP3J.jpg

APG82xv.jpg

TriSuit666

Banned
Been playing SOTR, and despite the utterly boring story, the visuals with raytracing has absolutely blown me away.

Try the St Juan crypt level to see what I mean (no pics, as it's a bit spoilery if you've not played the game).

Currently playing it on the XSX and it can be beautiful at times. At other times, it looks somewhat bland though. That's the issue with dynamic time of day open world games. Raytracing would really help.

EDMIX

Got to be honest, it's up there with a shout for me. In the Valhalla OT, Exentryk Exentryk has been doing the lord's work and posting some excellent screenshots. Probably Tsushima comes close for me but leans heavily on its art style for it whereas Valhalla is going for the ultra realistic look. Warlords of New York blew me away as well (just the city).

uXK83Rb.jpg

I5zbP3J.jpg

APG82xv.jpg

They both use realism to seek a certain look but it will simply come down to personal taste. "Most Beautiful" is simply subjective. Would be like saying who has the most beautiful wife or husband or something disregarding that individual people will find different people attractive.

They both are amazing looking games that use many of the same concepts to drive home the main idea of their worlds. Sir, its not like lighting, texture, composition, placement, form etc exist in 1 game and not the other or something. They have different settings, but they are using the same technique for the same reasons, simply for different settings... If you asked Ubisoft to make a game set in Japan or Suckerpunch to make a game set in England or Norway, you might get very similar results. They both have amazing environmental artist and imho some of the best in the business.

Roufianos

It can look amazing in certain places (on PS5) but looks very bland most of the time.

I was much more blown away by RDR2 and GoT, despite them being a generation behind.

Roberts

Not all the areas look the greatest, but western England at certain times of the day are second to none when it comes to visuals. Obviously, it is all subjective, but no game in recent times has made me stop and just look around so much.

buenoblue

Origins and odyssey looked just as good if not better maxed on a high end pc. Dat 60fps makes all the difference imo. Playing valhalla on ps5 at the minute. Got it on ps5 cause needed something to play on it but I kinda wish I'd gone pc. Though good looking I miss the impeccable picture pc can give. The water on ps5 for example has some weird jaggy dithering effect and I notice far more pop in than I did on odyssey on pc.

One thing I do love is the location. Having lived in the Northamptoshire in the midlands in the uk I can pretty much pinpoint where my small town should be. In 40 years of gaming I've never played a game set where I live. Awesome!

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
It looks bloody amazing in HDR on a good high end PC and TV, thats true.
I think for me it would be tied between this and RDR2, but if forced to choose I will go with Valhalla.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Playing the game at 4K on the ps5 was certainly a visual experience.

I think Tsushima is more aesthetically pleasant but if realistic looking is your jam, Valhalla is tough to beat.

Haggard

Banned
RDR2 and CP2077 (especially if you have RT capable hardware) are clearly superior.

Valhalla has its moments but those 2 are in a different league overall.

If we forego the objective technical level and add subjective artstyle preference to the mix then GoT also becomes a strong contender for me personally.

Last edited:
nah man it's called valheim!
and everything you basically see can be destroyed or altered build on etc,

absolute beautiful game
the game is also only like 560MB big.

Thanks for that. Someone mentioned it at work the other day and was gushing over it. Couldn't remember the name.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Its an amazing looking game on series x. Hard to believe such a richly detailed open world runs at 60 fps as well on consoles. Too bad its boring though.

TonyK

I finished it today and I'm doing the last trophies (that damn fishing trophy, arghh) and it's really really beautiful. 130 hours on it and almost all days I had a Stendhal moment with it. I need to say I played it in PS5 in Quality mode in a LG CX, it looks outstanding.
It's a shame NPCs are not at the same level as environments.

Garibaldi

I still don't think AC Unity has been beaten. Beyond the meme bugs and bad performance, that game looked absolutely amazing. The environmental modelling, effects and crowd densities were breath taking.

nkarafo

Dunno, i personally like the way forests look in Kingdom Come. And even though the villages look a bit empty, the sense of scale seems very realistic. It's the only game where a crappy shack can look interesting.

SinDelta

Valhalla's England is amazing in its own way, though Origins being Egypt is very, very hard to top.

Along with Ghost of Tushima these are some of the most beautiful games this gen.

mxbison

I think Ghost of Tsushima looks prettier.

Technically it's Cyberpunk on a high end PC.

Last edited:

Shumafuk

Yes NPCs, and specially kids, are horrendous. It's like the difference between male Eivor and Layla (the character you control in the present time, the one that uses the Animus). They seem done by totally different studios.
Many more AAA games has child NPC with wired faces (Witcher 3 for example). Or don't have children at all (KCD). It looks like technical limitations for mimics/motion capture?

Sygma

Its a toss up between RDR 2 and Warlords of New York imho. The later is sheer insanity when taking in account that its an online game, honestly I just dont understand why Ubisoft isnt using Snowdrop in everything

Top Bottom