• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Wii HiFi" Nintendo's next console?

selig

Banned
lets just say: it would makes sense.

this would be exactly matching apple´s style of new hardware iterations. "Wii HiFi" doesnt sound like a successor system, yet all gaming enthusiasts will know it is, while the big casual audience won´t feel betrayed, thinking "oh, now we have an outdate, old console, this sucks".

Also, skipping the typical console circle would be great, too. And a Wii 2, what that would basically be, would pwn the whole competition.

This, together with the fact that we dont know about any games for Wii for 2011 (except for DQ10) makes it likely that this rumor is true and not a fake.

But, of course, this is pre-E3-time, the time of fakes, so it could be all bs.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I do think its likely we see something new in Japan in 2011 at the very least.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope it's true so that graphics could start mattering again for Nintendo fanboys. Would make at least one part of the arguments I frequently have much easier.

Vinci

Danish
Amir0x said:
I hope it's true so that graphics could start mattering again for Nintendo fanboys. Would make at least one part of the arguments I frequently have much easier.

People claim that graphics don't matter at all? That's nuts.

Twig

Banned
selig said:
this would be exactly matching apple´s style of new hardware iterations
Apple doesn't announce a new iteration and then release it over a year later.

So, you're wrong.

fernoca

As long as it's backward compatible, and the upscaling of current games is well done, not that "play with a small-ass screen with black borders"..thing..I'll get one......well, I'll probably get one in any case. :p

Amir0x

Banned
Vinci said:

Absolutely all the time. Since it's one of the things that matter to me most (gameplay 1., graphics 2., etc), I would know since I'm always expressing my frustration about it (DS visuals, Wii games looking terrible on my TV, etc). And I always get the same arguments.

But I'm happy. I'm not a hypocrite so if they do join the HD era and bring a healthy online component (FREE FROM FRIEND CODES), I'll be somewhat more optimistic about Nintendo's new console. I'm consistent. I play games, not companies :)

Other than HD and better-than-360 power (360 is settling for last gen again, no thanks), I just want them to bring over my downloads to the Wii HiFi or whatever it is. I'm going to be super pissed if I can't. And I pretty much won't purchase anything for the platform in that case.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Don't we usually have a Japanese business newspaper leak by now?

Azrael

Amir0x said:

Can't wait for Nintendo fanboys to troll PS3 graphics next year when the Wii HiFi is marginally more powerful.

Mikey Jr. said:
Would the average Joe really predict another Wii console already? Also, I dont think he meant it was marginal. I think he meant an upgrade to match 360/ps3, which would not be marginal at all.

You're really defending Michael Pachter's prediction? Are you his son or something?:lol

I'll give you many people here may have misinterpreted him to be speaking of mere upscaling, although I don't know if he ever made himself clear. He definitely said it would launch this year (maybe even earlier as he seems to like redacting his statements over time) Recently, he even said that PS Move was Wii HD! :lol

Plenty of people on these boards could have predicted a Wii2 for release in 2011. Some developers (perhaps Wada of Square Enix if I recall correctly) even said they expected this time frame a couple years back. 5 years is the de facto standard for a console cycle, and with the Wii's current hardware (and third party support) to try and push it longer may end up costing them mindshare.

selig

Banned
Amir0x said:

oh, graphics matter a lot to me. which is why I love SMG2. Which im about to start now.

Amir0x

Banned
selig said:
oh, graphics matter a lot to me. which is why I love SMG2. Which im about to start now.

Glad to know you're the diplomat for Nintendo fanboys everywhere. But at least you admit it! :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Amir0x said:

I'm sure you'll miss saying shit like this too much... but then, the next PS/Xbox will come out and you'll be back at it.

BowieZ

Banned
Just call it a Funtendo Zii and be done with it.

tumblr_kx7bj2dL4L1qzwtdlo1_500.jpg

selig

Banned
Amir0x said:
Glad to know you're the diplomat for Nintendo fanboys everywhere. But at least you admit it! :lol

nah, but it´s obvious which people you´re pointing at. anyways, if france uruguay ands in a draw, too, that´s a pretty shitty first world cup-day, don´t you agree.

The easiest thing to say would be 'wait and see'.

Question is, is releasing a new console when nobody else is a good way to disrupt the market?

CoLaN

I think Miyamoto said a while ago that hes very interested in the concept behind little big planet.

Maybe the whole Play/Create/Share concept will have an important role in the next Wii

Twig

Banned
Vinci said:
Most people just mean that graphics are not as important to them as gameplay.

But there are enough fucking morons out there to make it seem like no one should ever care about graphics ever.

fernoca

Azrael said:
Can't wait for Nintendo fanboys to troll PS3 graphics next year when the Wii HiFi is marginally more powerful.
That's will also depend.. :p
With current "old tech" hardware they barely spent time, money, effort or just didn't care in making good looking games. If anything, the "extra power" would mean multi-platfrom releases on the same day and ports of a year old; or two games...with the usual problems and glitches of quick ports on the PS3 that they sometimes fixed through patches...later.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just in time for Zelda

ew, I feel dirty. fucking e3.

Twig

Banned
szhred said:
Meant only that it was a "bad name".
Used bad words for it.

I have no problem if anyone is gay or anything.
But "szhred" is a totally fucking rad to the maximum awesome name, of course.

Well, I just got my Wii this year so it feels too soon for me. But then again, the Wii needs an upgrade.

As long as there's b/c, which I'm sure there will be, I guess I'm cool with it.

Maybe Dragon Quest X and the next Zelda game can be pushed back for this. I would be willing to wait if it means playing those games in HD and with better graphics.

WillyFive

It's too early for a new console anyway.

The next-gen handheld is using this E3 to be revealed.

That leaves about a year or two before the next home console comes out.

fernoca

Willy105 said:

The next-gen handheld is using this E3 to be revealed.

That leaves about a year or two before the next home console comes out.
If anything, if it ends being true..it seems mostly on a way for Nintendo to counter attack the "5-10 years plan" of the other console,s now that those are also releasing their own "gimmicks" to compete with the Wii.

So, if the current generation is extended 3-4 years more, all 3 systems would be on par..by the time that the other consoles arrive.

Combine

Banned
"Hi-Fi" does seem like a name Nintendo would come up with.

I certainly was not expecting it to be called "Wii-HD" or something like that.

It it wouldn't be too early for a console if it's release date is in Fall 2011. That's 5 years after the Wii launch (IIRC) and the console cycles in the past were 5 years.

Amir0x

Banned
levious said:
I'm sure you'll miss saying shit like this too much... but then, the next PS/Xbox will come out and you'll be back at it.

I am nothing if not consistent. My standards will evolve, and if others don't rise to meet those standards, they will be shat upon :D

szhred

Twig said:
But "szhred" is a totally fucking rad to the maximum awesome name, of course.

Not really. But it fine if you think so :D
BTW
I used the words because i had seen them on youtube.com. There was i guy BreakingNYC that sometimes made fun of "trolls". And he said for example, to the trolls: "Ray, thats just stupid and fake and gay" and that was funny.

CoLaN said:
I think Miyamoto said a while ago that hes very interested in the concept behind little big planet.

Maybe the whole Play/Create/Share concept will have an important role in the next Wii

I think more likely they'll release a follow up to NSMBWii next year with a level editor and a Wii Channel to share.

"Wii Hi Fi" should launch with a Donkey Kong platformer. Lush jungles would be perfect to show off the new graphical capabilities.

Combine

Banned
Nintendo never chooses the name you want.

Gamecube - People wanted it to be called "Dolphin" (I'm pretty sure there were some who were really adamant about that)

Wii - People wanted it to be called "Revolution"

Combine said:
Nintendo never chooses the name you want.

Gamecube - People wanted it to be called "Dolphin" (I'm pretty sure there were some who were really adamant about that)

Wii - People wanted it to be called "Revolution"

I still can't figure out why people actually care what a game system is called.

Jeels

Twig said:
But there are enough fucking morons out there to make it seem like no one should ever care about graphics ever.

Right, I think it's really important, it's not about the look of the game itself, but more whether the console allows the tools for any art style a developer wants to go after to work. Or to make games more dynamic, more alive so to speak. (Bigger set pieces, more populated towns, etc).

TwIsTeD

Willy105 said:

No I think it's about the right time for Nintendo to announce new hardware since MS and Sony are stepping in to stretch their product cycles

Hi-Fi kinda makes sense in a strange way, considering the demographic for Wii scales a lot more with the "older" crowd

Anyway new console yes... Name.... Ehh don't like it

gogojira

Amir0x said:

There are certainly some stalwart defenders that stand by the "graphics don't matter" bullshit, but I've always found the number of people like that to be overstated. As a multiconsole gamer, I still own up to being a Nintendo fan and fuck all if the Wii's graphics aren't an extremely sore point for me.

I'm actually quite the fan of the system, too, but to suggest graphical fidelity can't add to the experience is idiotic. Gameplay rules all, but fancy graphics sure make worlds come to life even more.

There must be ALOT of Wii owners without an HD capable television/monitor.

My reasoning on this is whenever rumors of a HD Nintendo console surface it gets met with hate and/or disbelief like it goes against Nintendos core values or something.

What is it with French gaming press always leaking stuff :lol (if true that is).

Also, Wii HiFi just makes me think of music. Is Nintendo going to shadow Apple even more with some sort of online music store? Did Wii music not fulfill Miyomoto's love for music? Is this going to bring Nintendo up to date in the online gaming/community space?

Good year for E3...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
gogojira said:
There are certainly some stalwart defenders that stand by the "graphics don't matter" bullshit, but I've always found the number of people like that to be overstated. As a multiconsole gamer, I still own up to being a Nintendo fan and fuck all if the Wii's graphics aren't an extremely sore point for me.

I'm actually quite the fan of the system, too, but to suggest graphical fidelity can't add to the experience is idiotic. Gameplay rules all, but fancy graphics sure make worlds come to life even more.

one thing I will give Nintendo, there's no GODDAMN SCREEN TEARING in their games, for that I will always be grateful.

Amir0x said:
You think having 360-ish graphics six years after the 360 is going to do that?

Top Bottom