• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isnt Curiosity Rover now a $2.5B failure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veezy

que?
Do you, OP, understand the amount of money 2.5B is compared to entire US budget? OR NASA's budget, as a whole, compared to the entire US budget. We spent, collectively, parts of a cent here on amazing research that can be put to use in other ways besides just the rover.

Relax, brah.

Bear

The success of research isn't measured by how many sensational headlines it produces.

The overwhelming majority of research doesn't result in anything groundbreaking, it pushes scientific understanding further in incremental steps. They were able to build and send an unmanned mobile lab to another planet and study it at a level of detail that was never possible. It was a success according to the actual plan, I'm not sure what more you were expecting.

Zeppu

The internet is a complete failure. I don't think it's even moved a millimetre since DARPA sunk all that money in it.

KHarvey16

2. The complex landing (my view: that isnt actually a mission primary result that is a pre-req to a successful mission you could achieve the same sending a 2000lb lead weight to mars and using the same landing technology.

Uh, no. One of the goals of the mission was to demonstrate this technique since it allows for much larger rovers and equipment in the future. Sending a lead weight doesn't tell you if you can send equipment with delicate instrumentation. And why the hell would you prepare and launch an object to fucking Mars and have it only be a bunch of lead? The difference in price between sending a hunk of metal and the actual rover is probably not as much as you think, since the process of getting the stuff there costs a hell of a lot. And you want to talk about waste?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
As usual money is wasted, it should be mostly about how to get stuff in space, heavy stuff, and back. That's what NASA's focus should be. Just put big pile of lead and send them in space, put them somewhere, go back to pick it up and bring it home. Leave the private sector to make drones if they feel like it, they could be put on board. But stop the costly science rovers.

What they learn in 30 years we could learn in 2 years once we have much more advanced technology to put stuff in space, which would make it all much cheaper and faster.

They have cut so much on this that we are now using 1940s concepts to put stuff in space.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Curiosity mission also succeeded in performing a brand-new method for precision landing on Mars.

As the OP said, you could do that without an expensive rover on board. So take the cash spent on making the rover and its mission, and put that to better use, for example more space flight research.

Heck, just dumping a nice "Mars stream cam" camera would have been enough.

As I said before, all the stuff we try to learn today with expensive tech is pointless because we could learn all that with a fraction of the time by actually spending the money on improving space exploration technology, bringing all costs down.

This is the kind of attitude which would have never got us to the moon after immense failures. Along the way of the failures and eventual success of going to the moon NASA inventions:

Wrong, it's the kind of attitude that wouldn't have made NASA rely on Russia's 1940s concepts to send a satellite in space in 2013 (fill up a tube with fuel, fire it, so really a 2000 years old concept), and instead have new generation space shuttles and comet-mining machines in place.

CAT scan
Microchip
Cordless tools
Ear thermometer
Insulation
Freeze dried food
Invisible braces
Joysticks
Memory foam
Satellite television
Scratch resistance lens
Shoe insoles
Water filter
Smoke detector

Oh yes because we would have never invented a smoke detector of scratch resistance lenses otherwise!

I cant find any achievements of note from this expensive mission.

It has only traveled a mile since being on the planet for over a year and had a computer memory failure in March this year. ONE MILE PER YEAR.

If you google actual achievements you come back with the following
http://www.space.com/20396-mars-rover-curiosity-big-discoveries.html
1. That Mars could have supported life in the past but not finding anything there now. (my view there are numerous articles prior to Rover stating that.)

2. The complex landing (my view: that isnt actually a mission primary result that is a pre-req to a successful mission you could achieve the same sending a 2000lb lead weight to mars and using the same landing technology.

3. Radiation Measurement.
There have been numerous missions to Mars and some in orbit, we already know there is radiation there

4. Finding an ancient stream bed
Again nothing new, just more of what we knew already

5. Drilling into the rock
The article says this is a first, but what has come from that, nothing new

6.same as 5 - microbial life could have lived there millions of years ago - but nothing found there now -nothing new

7. engage the public - well I am the public and I need more than one mile from the slow lumbering waste of money, a computer failure and nothing new discovered.
This is the kind of attitude which would have never got us to the moon after immense failures. Along the way of the failures and eventual success of going to the moon NASA inventions:

CAT scan
Microchip
Cordless tools
Ear thermometer
Insulation
Freeze dried food
Invisible braces
Joysticks
Memory foam
Satellite television
Scratch resistance lens
Shoe insoles
Water filter
Smoke detector

Remmy2112

CAT scan
Microchip
Cordless tools
Ear thermometer
Insulation
Freeze dried food
Invisible braces
Joysticks
Memory foam
Satellite television
Scratch resistance lens
Shoe insoles
Water filter
Smoke detector

I get the feeling that a lot of people who bitch about money spent on space exploration and/or these scientific robots are like businessmen who don't believe in the idea of "That's what you did for me before" and instead think "What have you done for me lately?" That and they are incredibly impatient.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
$2.5 Billion amounts to about three days of funding for the Iraq War.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So to you guys, someone criticizing a specific NASA mission = criticizing space exploration, requesting cuts, funding the military instead, and the Earth is flat.

"Progress is never a straight path." Funding progress for the sake of progress is dumb. You need an objective, and think of the best way to get there. What we are doing is the equivalent of sending boats to the New World with an ape on board and ask him to bring us back a report by jumping off the boat and swimming back to Europe, instead of working on ship technology that will get us there, allow us to bring heavy material and lots of people and build new ports and cities.

I don't think any of us are qualified to render a definitive verdict on its success or failure. The mission objectives might seem boring and one mile traveled might not seem like much but the main mission objective is not to impress you.

Karl2177

Progress is never a straight path.

Progress is a dick.
k-bigpic.jpg

So to you guys, someone criticizing a specific NASA mission = criticizing space exploration, requesting cuts, funding the military instead, and the Earth is flat.

You haven't sufficiently provided a well-supported argument that the curiosity mission is expensive (as that is a relative term), nor have you proven the value of 'simply landing a lump of metal' instead of a complicated rover with precision instruments to prove that the technique involved is valid.

Riki

Screw this thread. We should be spending at least half our military budget on NASA. The advancements man kind would make would send us into a new age of enlightenment.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You haven't sufficiently provided a well-supported argument that the curiosity mission is expensive (as that is a relative term), nor have you proven the value of 'simply landing a lump of metal' instead of a complicated rover with precision instruments to prove that the technique involved is valid.

Any money spent on chewing rocks on Mars could be better spent on improving technology that will allow us to put heavy stuff in space and back. Anything the rovers do will be easier to do, faster and cheaper, when we have made significant advancements in space travel. That's simple maths.

People are already making countless types of drones that could explore Mars and give us all sorts of information, but we can't put them on Mars because our tech is too backward to get there easily.

It would also be much more constructive as people would see the tech evolve, and the shuttles wouldn't be some old relic in a museum.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So to you guys, someone criticizing a specific NASA mission = criticizing space exploration, requesting cuts

In this case, absolutely. Curiosity's radiation findings are absolutely instrumental for us to prepare for a manned mission to Mars. Simply criticizing it because "well we already know it has radiation" is stupid. You can't run in blind. You can't just come up with a plan to handle the radiation when you don't understand how much radiation you're going to have to deal with.

Anybody who is not in favor of obtaining accurate data about Martian conditions is a person who is not in favor of a successful manned mission to Mars.

Riki

Any money spent on chewing rocks on Mars could be better spent on improving technology that will allow us to put heavy stuff in space and back. Anything the rovers do will be easier to do, faster and cheaper, when we have made significant advancements in space travel. That's simple maths.

Except that we need probes and unmanned missions first or else we'd just be sending people to their deaths. We need to know what to expect.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Except that we need probes and unmanned missions first or else we'd just be sending people to their deaths. We need to know what to expect.

Except that as I have stated, we already have ALL the probe-making technology to make such probes, and far more than what NASA has made. The reason it's not happening is because it costs a fortune to send ANYTHING there.

So you are wrong: yes we need to send probes, but we have them or can make them already, and they are not getting there because it's too expensive because the tech used to get there is fucking old!

So where the money should go is pretty obvious. That's how it worked with ships and aircrafts; not by putting more and more expensive stuff on the same old ships or aircrafts, but by improving the aircrafts and ships so they could carry more and more stuff.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Like, I'm not very familiar with science or Mars or even space, but it's a pretty big place right? So, how does the distance traveled matter when dealing with a delicately calibrated robot that is sending data back over 208 million miles matter at all? It's not a marathon runner. Is that not the dumbest possible metric to use to measure success? Outside of maybe how many spanakopitas Curiosity did not make?

Riki

Except that as I have stated, we already have ALL the probe-making technology to make such probes, and far more than what NASA has made. The reason it's not happening is because it costs a fortune to send ANYTHING there.

So you are wrong: yes we need to send probes, but we have them or can make them already, and they are not getting there because it's too expensive because the tech used to get there is fucking old!

So where the money should go is pretty obvious.

It would cost far more than a couple billion to send people to Mars. You have to account for months of them living in space, then living on Mars, then actually getting back. We don't have that technology, and likely never will if NASA keeps getting basically nothing for funding.

skybald

OP, I don't think you are versed in the scientific method that well. Adding facts to the book is necessary to make future paradigm shifts in scientific thought. It doesn't happen all at once. Curiosity certainly is not a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

royalan

It would cost far more than a couple billion to send people to Mars. You have to account for months of them living in space, then living on Mars, then actually getting back. We don't have that technology, and likely never will if NASA keeps getting basically nothing for funding.

I agree with the point he's making, tho. Right now, travelling to Mars is such a daunting and expensive task because the technology we're using to get there has been fundamentally stagnant since the 60s.

I do agree with Ether_Snake that there needs to be a shift in priorities. Improve space travel technology and suddenly you openly the floodgates on what we can send to Mars and back.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Who cares about sending people on Mars? How is this some sort of inherent need? We have plenty of stuff to put in space for various reasons, doesn't have to be people, but we don't have the means to do it for cheap because money isn't going where it should go be going and instead is being sunk in projects that matter very little and have very little economic benefits.

Don't tell me being able to put stuff in space and bring it back easily wouldn't have more economic benefits and hence wouldn't attract more public and private funding. That's like saying "let's keep sending more and more important people overseas, on rafts".

It is precisely the advancement of vehicles, propulsion, etc., that are at the very core of defining and maximizing the benefits of space exploration, and it is massively under funded. The "science" stuff is not important at this point. Darwin was able to make his discoveries because getting to the Galapagos was much cheaper than it had been before, because sea-faring was common and highly advanced at that point. Same thing with all other forms of explorations. You need the most advanced tech, the tools, etc., to be able to have the independence to do the research and exploration you want.

You need cheaper space travel, period, and all efforts should be consecrated to that if we want to make any significant advancements at anything else space-related, since anything we do in space is entirely dependent of the advancement of said technology.

iammeiam

I'm trying to envision public reaction if NASA decided to abandon sending rovers to go do sciency things and learn about other planets, and instead focused on making spacecraft be cheaper and more efficient. The public that's pissed off over money wasted on these missions isn't going to want money wasted on making future missions cheaper. "Oh it only costs half as much to go to the moon this time? Big fucking deal, why do we even need to go to the moon anymore? There's nothing there!"

At least the rovers offer something the public can understand; missions should ideally involve both a focus on improving delivery methods and some sort of tangible end-goal.

FyreWulff

We also already have orbiters in orbit

Just sending more orbiters or another lander when the existing orbiters are still function is just reliving past glory, whereas Curiosity is learning from the downfalls of the previous defunct rovers to do it's thing. We couldn't get to Curiosity without launching the previous rovers, the previous rovers weren't possible without the stuff we learned from Viking etc, and whatever comes after Curiosity will need the data and lessons from this mission to do the most potential work.

People are already making countless types of drones that could explore Mars and give us all sorts of information, but we can't put them on Mars because our tech is too backward to get there easily.

It would also be much more constructive as people would see the tech evolve, and the shuttles wouldn't be some old relic in a museum.

The saddest part about this is you've resigned to accept a situation where only one branch of space exploration research is possible. Curiosity's budget is spread out over the 8 years in R&D, not blown all at once on rocket fuel and parts. It's fucking cheap as dirt. I agree we could spend money on round trip planet exploration but why must it come at the expense of something as cheap as Curiosity's mission?

porquenolosdos.gif

royalan

We actually do have that technology.

The Case for Mars

This was a talk given in the 90s about how a manned mission to Mars using pre-existing technology theoretically could work. Pretty fascinating. And this is back in the 90s. I'm sure there are holes that can be poked in his plan, but the point is that we've had people coming up with plans for manned missions to mars that were at LEAST sound on a surface level for decades now. And Robert Zubrin makes the point in his lecture that the main thing holding us back is the miles of self-imposed red tape and this idea that we shouldn't try to send people to Mars until we have a PROVEN way to get them there and back with ZERO risk...which, while nice, kinda goes against how every major exploratory discovery was made throughout human history.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm trying to envision public reaction if NASA decided to abandon sending rovers to go do sciency things and learn about other planets, and instead focused on making spacecraft be cheaper and more efficient. The public that's pissed off over money wasted on these missions isn't going to want money wasted on making future missions cheaper. "Oh it only costs half as much to go to the moon this time? Big fucking deal, why do we even need to go to the moon anymore? There's nothing there!"

At least the rovers offer something the public can understand; missions should ideally involve both a focus on improving delivery methods and some sort of tangible end-goal.

Oh yeah the people will only think about the bottom line, and not:

"We will no longer rely on other countries to go where want to and do what we want in space. We are actually going to do space exploration, Made in America, and will invest in developing new technologies that will allow us to do more in space, faster, for cheaper, while creating jobs, and this starts with significantly advancing our space-vehicles technology" etc. Public wouldn't say shit, except be on board at least as much as they are now or more. And people do no understand the rovers, sorry. But they don't know what a damn space shuttle is, although your kids today might not, because it no longer exists, only giant fireworks are used.

The saddest part about this is you've resigned to accept a situation where only one branch of space exploration research is possible. Curiosity's budget is spread out over the 8 years in R&D, not blown all at once on rocket fuel and parts. It's fucking cheap as dirt. I agree we could spend money on round trip planet exploration but why must it come at the expense of something as cheap as Curiosity's mission?

porquenolosdos.gif

It's not resignation, it's putting the foundations before the roof. porquenolosdos? Because it's fucking stupid to not do things in order, and we've never done it that stupid before. Why must we handle space exploration in a stupid manner? The only ones resignated are at NASA. They are the ones unable to make the case.

"Hey Darwin, swim to the Galapagos!"

It's not resignation, it's putting the foundations before the roof. porquenolosdos? Because it's fucking stupid to not do things in order.

I'm confused why you think landing a 4 ton rover isn't the first step in discovering a way to land and come back, or why spending a few pennies more on making that 4-ton rover useful to science isn't a worthy expenditure.

This may be literally the stupidest thread we've ever had on GAF.
If the mods gave the thread a tombstone, then we could rightfully shit on it but only in our minds' eyes. There is a gap between daily life and an expensive project like MSL/Curiosity, and this makes it hard to see the benefit of paying for such a thing. I am not good at this but it is an opportunity to explain, as citizen advocates for the space program at large, to share the connection between things quite literally Worlds apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom