• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isnt Curiosity Rover now a $2.5B failure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimothy

This is the kind of attitude which would have never got us to the moon after immense failures. Along the way of the failures and eventual success of going to the moon NASA inventions:

CAT scan
Microchip
Cordless tools
Ear thermometer
Insulation
Freeze dried food
Invisible braces
Joysticks
Memory foam
Satellite television
Scratch resistance lens
Shoe insoles
Water filter
Smoke detector

NASA also invented those wing tip things used on jet airplanes. They save the airlines billions a year on fuel costs.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kevlar is strong enough for the job.

No it's not Kevlar does not get you to geosynchronous orbit. You'd still need a chemical fuel rocket to escape earths gravity which means your 95 percent figure is way off on a Kevlar elevator.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
If it breaks you need a system in place that will react accordingly. That's the point of getting to work on it. You could have balloons holding every Xkm of cable in case of a break.

Curiosity is not a waste in a different context, it's a waste in the current context.

A space elevator is a dream with our current technology. It's unproven and there's no way would NASA try to build one with their limited budget. NASA is already spread thin with their current funding issues. What you're suggesting to scrap planetary research, probes, rovers, telescopes, etc. to build an experimental space elevator is not realistic, we don't even know if the yearly NASA budget could cover such a project.

Re-usable rockets are the future and can bring down the cost of going to space much like a space elevator would. Way more practical and SpaceX already has done extensive testing to show that it is possible.

BejGjxU.png

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
A space elevator is a dream with our current technology. It's unproven and there's no way would NASA try to build one with their limited budget. NASA is already spread thin with their current funding issues. What you're suggesting to scrap planetary research, probes, rovers, telescopes, etc. to build an experimental space elevator is not realistic, we don't even know if the yearly NASA budget could cover such a project.

Re-usable rockets are the future and can bring down the cost of going to space much like a space elevator would. Way more practical and SpaceX already has done extensive testing to show that it is possible.

Never said it had to be a space elevator, I said we still need rockets till then.

pulsemyne

For a space elevator the only real hope lies in graphine. Carbon nanotubes may have the strength but there's no certainty. Graphine almost certainly does. Carbyne meanwhile has recently be synthasised and is stronger than diamond.

What are you expecting? Aliens?

This, of course there's nothing in Mars. It's a big empty rock, just getting the Rover there was an achievement. Not to mention getting pictures from there wireless, which is crazy considering that's on another planet.

Log4Girlz

Its a huge failure. Do you know how many drones we would have bought? Like maybe 1 with service contract included. You know how many brown people my government could have blasted from the earth randomly? I mean, that's priceless right? :/

How about we leave the space program the fuck alone.

DogMeat77

"Finding nothing" is indeed learning something. No one said that dinosaur aliens that bare the resemblance of Steve Urkel were running around on Mars. It was a fact finding mission and should be judged on how it compared to the mission goals and objectives.

Also there this this Mars Rat. Believe.
Mars-rat-spotted-by-UFO-enthusiast-is-just-a-rock.jpg

Azulsky

Not to trivialize but in the worst case scenario this is one of the best wastes of 2.5B ever.

Meanwhile in Asia, insane waste of money and lives.

akira28

OP would have crashed Curiousity into a ditch, found out 14 minutes later, and then tried to sneak out of the NASA mission control building.

Slavik81

Its a huge failure. Do you know how many drones we would have bought? Like maybe 1 with service contract included. You know how many brown people my government could have blasted from the earth randomly? I mean, that's priceless right? :/

How about we leave the space program the fuck alone.
Actually drones are dirt cheap, relatively speaking. That's part of why the military loves them.

$2.5 billion would buy ~16 F35 fighter jets. Alternatively, you could get ~600 predator drones. Though, admittedly, I don't think those figures include upkeep.

Culex

Banned
I think the whole Sky Crane system actually being proven to work in low-grav / thin atmosphere is an accomplishment in and of itself. Should prove useful in the future when we potentially land a man on mars.

I can't find any achievements of note from OP. He's been on the board for eight months already and he hasn't produced any scientific breakthroughs or advanced society in any measurable way. What gives?

m3k

What, they shouldn't have landed a working remote control vehicle on another planet to gather information?

small steps till people are successfully sent there, don't be so small minded

I can't find any achievements of note from OP. He's been on the board for eight months already and he hasn't produced any scientific breakthroughs or advanced society in any measurable way. What gives?

You know, them top secret / black projects...

They'll show up eventually.

K and so did space exploration if you want to play that game, since fireworks were invented 2000 years ago.

Now we are at the stage where we can decide to improve technology for long-term planning, not just to leave things as is and just go fish to survive another day.

Now let's see who is really resignated and asking for cuts.

I get the gist of your argument here, but do you not realize the (pardon the pun) astronomical initial investment a space elevator would be? It would be, by far, the largest object ever built by mankind, such that even the maximum savings theorized here would not pay off said investment for somewhere on the order of a few HUNDRED years, have HUGE implications for national, international political and military interests, and before all of this requiring the monumental mass production of a material that must be both the strongest and yet still flexible material in the world and sufficiently strong enough past that to withstand potential attacks/faults, lest we have a 15000km+ long 10-15ft. diameter cable fall and crush everything in its path. This requires a confluence of materials and astronomical sciences, international diplomacy, and industrial mass production and construction yet unseen on this earth.

I get the desire to work towards big picture projects, but you also have to take into account that the US government has continually slashed NASA's budget. Neil Tyson put it best, "I’m tired of saying this but I have to say it again! The NASA budget is 4/10′s of one penny on a tax dollar. If I held up a tax dollar and I cut horizontally into it 4/10′s of 1% of its width, it doesn’t even get you into the ink! SO I WILL NOT ACCEPT A STATEMENT THAT SAYS “WE CAN”T AFFORD IT!" To ask that no other space faring experimentation or exploration happen until such a time is ludicrous and unfair. NASA is stuck using 1940's space designs because that's all the US government allows them to afford.

While we have examples in history of massive leaps in science, the vast majority of research is slow, stepwise, and in the greater context seemingly trivial, but all in all vital to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

EDIT: forgot a 0, honestly could probably do another one given some proposed designs

jadedm17

This is the kind of attitude that holds back the space program and funding. It's only been a year, give it more time. Bean counter mentality is what prevents us from seeing the bigger picture.

This is where we're at though is I think what the OP is getting at.

Its sad - and as a Star Trek and space fan myself I wish we could invest more in space exploration, especially since the Earth (or Sun) won't be around forever- but even Stephen Hawking has admitted that its kinda selfish exploring space when we still have so many problems to fix here still. Thats a lot of money that could go to feeding, housing or ridding people of disease.

akira28

strong enough past that to withstand potential attacks/faults, lest we have a 1500km+ long 10-15ft. diameter cable fall and crush everything in its path. This requires a confluence of materials and astronomical sciences, international diplomacy, and industrial mass production and construction yet unseen on this earth.

It wouldn't hit anything. Well...nothing important. we aren't gonna build the thing in the middle of New York City.

But they do need to work out that whole meta-materials thing, because we really don't want the thing to fall.

Its sad - and as a Star Trek and space fan myself I wish we could invest more in space exploration, especially since the Earth (or Sun) won't be around forever- but even Stephen Hawking has admitted that its kinda selfish exploring space when we still have so many problems to fix here still. Thats a lot of money that could go to feeding, housing or ridding people of disease.
You can do both but govt funding is still organized on archaic gold standard terms and deficit hawks.

inky

Thats a lot of money that could go to feeding, housing or ridding people of disease.

1. It really isn't compared to spending on other areas.
2. You could bring that argument to a lot of things, especially the most frivolous, non-scientifically driven ones, so I think it is kind of moot here.

As a species we could, and should be doing all of those things, while still allowing for scientific research related to space exploration, and NASA does a few things that the budget allows. It is a shame that we can't, because people dictate money is better spent on a variety of other things. What I'm trying to say is, yes, if we got together we could probably rid the world of a lot of those problems, but that is something that you can't hold against a Mars rover project before holding it to a hundred other, much more wasteful and frivolous things.

Batigol

Banned
I agree with you, OP.

Who cares about some rocks and dried ass rivers on mars? Ain't nobody care. Lets get some more rivers on earth.

Until we have the technology where we can send people there and live in space green houses and shit, what's the point?

Just live in the now. Space ain't going nowhere.

Lets build our own rivers

Das Ace

Just to add to everything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindsight_bias

Wikipedia said:
Hindsight bias, also known as the knew-it-all-along effect or creeping determinism, is the inclination to see events that have already occurred as being more predictable than they were before they took place

It doesn't matter if you thought it was obvious that life was on mars thousands of years before, until there's actual proof it doesn't mean anything.

I think your expectations are not in line with what NASA is hoping to achieve, scientific discovery is often a meandering, wandering path with many dead ends and false starts.

The way in that they landed that beast of a machine is a marvel of engineering, we gained a new technique to land heavy equipment on a planet, that alone is worth it, more tools in the toolbox is never a bad thing.

The previous rovers went for years and years beyond their planned operational limits.

Give curiosity some time.

jadedm17

1. It really isn't compared to spending on other areas.
2. You could bring that argument to a lot of things, especially the most frivolous, non-scientifically driven ones, so I think it is kind of moot here.

As a species we could, and should be doing all of those things, while still allowing for scientific research related to space exploration, and NASA does a few things that the budget allows. It is a shame that we can't, because people dictate money is better spent on a variety of other things. What I'm trying to say is, yes, if we got together we could probably rid the world of a lot of those problems, but that is something that you can't hold against a Mars rover project before holding it to a hundred other, much more wasteful and frivolous things.

Yea, my thoughts. Lawrence Krauss has some fascinating things to say about this, the most interesting of which [to me] is how, if the universe is expanding, soon enough it'll be expanding faster than we'll ever be able to explore certain parts of it. The idea is essentially if we don't get the technology to visit these places soon we'll never in the course of human history see them.

Ideally we should be doing a lot of things and all at once, I agree, but I think as Americans we've backed ourselves into a corner that doesn't include $2.5 billion to spend on exploring Mars. We should look at those things too as I'm sure there's far more then $2.5 billion being wasted on less useful things.

Just my thoughts anyways.
I wish life was like Star Trek

It's not NASA's fault that nothing was discovered. If nothing is there then nothing is there. Nobody promised anything and the reason for the mission was out of "curiosity". We needed these things confirmed anyway.

In the future there will be a better even more extensive rover that will probably find nothing as well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sadly, people like the OP are in the majority and the reason the Space Program has been on a downturn.

That's the surface of Venus right there.

Of course, Venera 13 was a big failure because it lasted for 127 minues, right? -_-

Pft, screw that.

300px-Huygens_surface_color.jpg

The surface of Saturn's moon, Titan.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That's nothing, Voyager was launched in 1977, and is now outside the solar system.

They are when you look at the insignificant cost compared to other wastes in other programs such as the military, but from my point of view they are (not my fault the US government is spending so much cash on wars). It's basically saying "well ok I guess we'll do with what we have". To me NASA failed to make their case, and it's not surprising for a government agency. People are just happy to have a job.

Because PR is a magical tool that solves everything, of course.

The reason for NASA to exist to the eyes of most Americans died with the USSR.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.

I don't think it's a zero-sum game in the way you characterize it here. The annual U.S. budget and taxation policies are far from optimized, so there are plenty of places to reassess priorities.

The big problem is that we now know enough about our space neighborhood to make a pretty good guess that there aren't any discoveries that are going to meaningfully alter life for the average citizen in the foreseeable future. Accordingly, the practical benefit of throwing money at NASA for current taxpayers is the possibility that NASA's research will result in some unknown technological advance from which taxpayers may or may not derive any utility. While NASA has delivered in that regard on many occasions, it's not going to mobilize voters.

NASA is really a bet on the future and the Americans who control the purse strings (read: Baby Boomers) have routinely demonstrated that they aren't overly interested in investing in the next generation if it requires them to make a sacrifice. American taxpayers aren't altruistic enough to allocate more funding to NASA on a good-for-mankind basis, so NASA needs to make a pitch for how it's a vital component in the war on terror or make do with minimal funding until China's space program advances far enough to freak out American hillbillies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom