• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isnt Curiosity Rover now a $2.5B failure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That's the surface of Venus right there.

Of course, Venera 13 was a big failure because it lasted for 127 minues, right? -_-

Pft, screw that.

300px-Huygens_surface_color.jpg

The surface of Jupiter's moon, Titan.

Fucking hell, I had never seen those pictures. Freaking amazing. When I tell myself "That's not Earth's soil", I always have my mind beautifully blown.

vooglie

Ia space elevator has been evaluated to be possible to build for between 8 to 15 billion dollars.

I'm really curious about this -- can you point to some studies which have shown SE are possible with 8 to 15B? From what I understood we don't yet have the technology for a functioning SE. Thanks.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's not resignation, it's putting the foundations before the roof. porquenolosdos? Because it's fucking stupid to not do things in order, and we've never done it that stupid before. Why must we handle space exploration in a stupid manner? The only ones resignated are at NASA. They are the ones unable to make the case.

"Hey Darwin, swim to the Galapagos!"
What are you referring to when you talk about how maritime travel advanced?

Are you referring to the development of the barque? The steamship?

What are you talking about? Because we've been building ships that were 150+ feet long since 500 years before the Giza pyramid was built, a good 5000 years ago at least. Mars is 300x as far away from the earth as the moon on average and we first started flying just a little over 100 years ago.

zerosum

I've been skimming through the thread a bit, and I'm sure it's been brought up, but...

I think that it's a damn shame that knowledge has a monetary budget.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
NASA is on it's way to take back all the technology in your house whose creation was driven by the space race.

Worst opinion ever.

You are thinking of Alaska.

To you and everybody else saying that NASA should not persuit this type of stuff:

http://www.wtfnasa.com/ - Numerous technological innovations.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njonline/no_20100827_1798.php Most likely a large return on investment.

Besides that, we need to take the first step into space somewhere. It is the goal of life to spread around and whether that is a good thing is up for debate. If we are limited to one planet we are always under higher risk.

This is a factually incorrect opinion, I believe.

you guys got it all wrong.

i'm a rocket maaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn

Mars ain't no kind of place to raise a kid.

I find those without a vacuous space between their ears are easily interested in space exploration. Some peoplee are just greedy and its cold as hell in some peoples' hearts too.

Pretty sure davepoobond is fucking around, guys.

You're right. We should have spent it on a couple of cruise missiles to launch at the middle east.

these guys get it.

fallagin

OP, why are you thinking this way? Space research is one of the most valuable things we can do with our money. 2.5 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to how valuable this research can become for mankind.

jerry113

Banned
Fucking hell, I had never seen those pictures. Freaking amazing. When I tell myself "That's not Earth's soil", I always have my mind beautifully blown.

If I remember correctly, on the way down that probe also took terrain pictures of Titan that showed liquid methane lakes too. Coastlines and stuff. In fact, that probe was designed to float in the event it landed on liquid instead of land.

Ponn

Banned
I'm really curious about this -- can you point to some studies which have shown SE are possible with 8 to 15B? From what I understood we don't yet have the technology for a functioning SE. Thanks.

Given he wants to half ass the job with material that doesnt actually work and when it does break just hold it up with ballons i think his numbers are feasible.

andthebeatgoeson

wow, I never realised that thing was so huge
That's what she said.

The op shouldn't be upset the rover only traveled 1 mile over a year. It flew 350,000,000 miles in about 9 months. It's just tired and those martian hunters are getting in a few charged attacks. It just needs to find a pile of bones to get it's stamina up.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Just because you don't understand the science or think it's not exciting enough for you OP, doesn't make is a failure.

FyreWulff

People thinking like the OP are the reason we've only progressed this far in terms of space travel/exploration

From another viewpoint though, it's kind of amazing that we've advanced so far people view landing a remotely controlled car-robot on another planet that can take full color pictures as ho-hum

If you told people this 60 years ago you would have been committed

AkuMifune

Banned
From another viewpoint though, it's kind of amazing that we've advanced so far people view landing a remotely controlled car-robot on another planet that can take full color pictures as ho-hum

If you told people this 60 years ago you would have been committed

Always makes me wonder what humans will be up to in another 60 years. Or 600.

I wish I could find out how we end, but here I am stuck in the middle. With you.

luoapp

Always makes me wonder what humans will be up to in another 60 years. Or 600.

In 60 years, not too much, IMO. And I am not being pessimistic, just realistic. We can already land on other planets with a fairly good successful rate. Manned mission is more and more of only diminishing return. Fly to other solar system (Alpha Centauri) requires a breakthrough in fundamental physics theory. So, what's left? Low-earth orbit tourism?

I wish I could find out how we end, but here I am stuck in the middle. With you.

Hey, nice to see you too.

I'd rather have that 10 dollars. What a waste of time and money. Space is just a huge empty money pit full of pontificating scientists ideas. Who cares about mars? It won't be fun living there. In fact it's cold as hell.

Mars ain't no kind of place to raise a kid.

If anything, this mission proved without a doubt that there's no-one there to raise them if you did.
Haha good work guys.

Let's lay-off the OP.

Maybe it was reverse-psychology viral marketing, or he was a psychic spaceman that came to prime the forum days before the recent martian sponge-dirt announcement.

Nope, still a failure... where are the pics of three breasted Martian ladies?

martianvooql.png

They've been on the internet since Obama's mission there, BEFORE Total Recall.
Forget Kenya. Never mind the secret madrassas. The sinister, shocking truth about Barack Obama’s past lies not in east Africa, but in outer space. As a young man in the early 1980s, Obama was part of a secret CIA project to explore Mars. The future president teleported there, along with the future head of Darpa.
[...]
Obama isn’t just lying about his identity. He’s lying about his military service record, too. While his political opponents in 2008 attacked him for never serving, in truth, he was concealing his participation in a hidden CIA intergalactic program hosted at a California community college in 1980.
[...]
Obama wasn’t the only one making the otherworldly voyage. As “Barry Soetero,” the 19-year-old Obama was one of 10 youths selected to secretly teleport to and from Mars, forming a band of interplanetary Teen Titans. Regina Dugan, the director of Darpa, was another member.

Between 1981 and 1983, Obama is supposed to have visited Mars twice, by way of a teleportation chamber called a “jump room.” Basiago, a fellow chrononaut, told the website Exopolitics that he saw Obama “walk back to the jump room from across the Martian terrain.” To acknowledge his comrade, Obama is said to have told Basiago, “We’re here” — apparently, “with some sense of fatalism.”

It is not known what exactly Obama did on Mars. (Socializing Martian health care, perhaps? Building a birth-certificate printing press?) His mission was a perilous one, according to Basiago and Stillings. The CIA wished to “establish a defense regime protecting the Earth from threats from space” as well as a legal claim to “territorial sovereignty,” making Obama something of a Martian conquistador. Presumably, Obama’s CIA handlers needed him to “acclimate Martian humanoids and animals to their presence” in order to secure the U.S.-Martian alliance. (We’ll bet you weren’t even aware of Martian animals.)
[...]
Wired

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't understand, if we need water on Mars, why not just settle close to the poles? It's full of ice, melting ice.

If anything, NASA should be getting more funding, IMO. Space is the next frontier for humanity and I do believe we should be putting more resources into that area among other things to sustain life on Earth. At our current pace we're becoming an overpopulated planet that consumes more than it can produce. We need more resources that can keep up with the demand. Colonization of other planets should be something on the list as a last resort.

It can't be science fiction if it's happening to our world now. Overpopulation I mean. How do you manage this problem? Space is one of many options but it should be looked at seriously. We are going to have a colony on Mars soon anyway. I believe NASA should be growing at a much faster rate instead of constant budget cuts. It seems like with each new find from NASA they get smaller as an organization. Why? Why isn't governments looking at the cosmos seriously?

Space travel has yielded us many domestic technologies that we take for granted today. Granted, I can only think of Tang, but there's been a shit load and will probably be a shit load because landed a rover on Mars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom