• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isnt it ironic that the best FF this gen was its online spinoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucius

I liked FFXI more than FFX/FFX2, I put way too much time into it. I liked playing with most the Japanes players. Some people though were way to into it cursing out people that make any mistake you gotta take games like these in stride sure it's important to level up fast but some where just out of control with how serious they took the game.

Pellham said:
Because the game sucked, though was marginally better than 7 and 8.

That's really debatable, because the game did not "suck." People just didn't like the voice acting, character design, and some were not found of the seamingly simple battle system. Oh well, but that doesn't make it "suck."

the best FF last gen was FF X-2
What can I do for you?

What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
I can’t hear you!
What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?

Proudly in the hazy borders of my heart
I can see it pace,
It’s something like this.
Every now and then I don’t know what to do
Still I know that I can never go back.

Everything I’ve seen
In those hazy dreams
Can’t compare to what I’m seeing now
Everything’s so different,
That it brings me to my knees

And though I know the world of real emotions has surrounded me,
I won’t give into it now
I know that forward is the only way my heart can go,
I hear your voice calling out to me,
You’ll never be alone.

Lain

Segata Sanshiro said:
Um, you can solo in FFXI. It's just a lot slower than grouping. I solo'd a metric shit-ton on my DRG when I couldn't find a party, and I even solo'd a few levels on my PLD from 50-60 when I couldn't be arsed to party. You just have to equip yourself properly and be smart.

And I fail to see how skillchains take any less skill than anything in an offline RPG. Skillchaining at least gives you something to do, and knowing which one is the right one to use on which mob requires some knowledge of strategy.

Soloing in FFXI is like pulling out teeths, it's annoying, painful, and not fun at all. I soloed a bit with my rogue as well around 60 (which required some planning), but killing a decent con didn't bring all that much exp (it was 72 or 75, i don't remember), was time consuming, and became boring by the third kill for the time wasted fighting/resting up.

And skillchains require as much strategy as looking up a printed chart which tells you exactly what element each one is and which element each one is stronger/weaker against (a printed chart you need to have and know unless you want to be laughed at by the "elites"/get dragged down by newbies who insist on executing theirs alone even at higher levels). At most what is required is to know which element a monster is aligned with, but then again FFXI has had a limited amount of monsters people used to exp on regularly that repeated themselves all over the world, and so the skillchains used were mostly the same most of the time until they switched to light/dark skillchains in the end. Sure they give the players something else to do in fights, but so does every other MMO in a form or another without locking the player in a repetitive cycle fight after fight that tends to become tedious and annoying when you're doing it for hours on end (people don't like to split up when they finally find a good party).

Buggy Loop

Teknopathetic said:
I hate doing this but...

:lol

This is the Buggy Loop I miss.

Haha, <3

Yes yes, FFXI had a lot of grinding, i dont know if its because i came to that MMO after EQ but, its a freaking BREEZE compared to playing a paladin (or shadowknight since hybrids had XP penalty) in EQ. In less time it took to level my paladin to lvl 55 in EQ, i had a lvl 69 Red mage, a lvl 38 white mage, lvl 37 black mage, lvl 20 ninja/warrior/thief/dark knight/blue mage and a lvl 27 beastmaster. When things "click" in FFXI and your party becomes as efficient as a ferrari, its really really fun, best PVE out of any MMO in fact. Just as it can be frustrating, especially for melees, waiting hours to get a party going, but playing RDM as a main, that wasnt a problem, even had to go anonymous to not be bothered.

Steroyd

Xeke said:
Whats with the lack of FFX love?

Because it was horrible compared to their FF's the previous gen you know?

It may have been revolutionary with the characters having a voice you know, but god damn did i wish that they couldn't speak to find out that SE's needs to do better dialogue for their games... you know?

I liked the Sphere grid you know, but the lack of exploration was a step down from what i liked about FF's in the first place you know.

I havn't played FFXII yet you know, but i swear to god i hope that they get some damn writers you know, they've had a habit of repeating certain phrases throughout the whole game you know, and it pisses me off.

Like Kingdom Hearts 2 for example

It's that type of thing that makes me cringe if i play through the game a second time thank god for skippable cutscenes.

I guess the last thing I'll say on this is that FFXI is what you make of it, no more or less. It's a really well-done framework for an MMO, and as an example of its genre, it's one of the better ones. I had fun with it for a while, then when it didn't suit me anymore, I quit. I don't regret playing it at all, and it owes me nothing in terms of entertainment value for my dollar.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Steroyd said:
I havn't played FFXII yet you know, but i swear to god i hope that they get some damn writers you know, they've had a habit of repeating certain phrases throughout the whole game you know, and it pisses me off.

Like Kingdom Hearts 2 for example

It's that type of thing that makes me cringe if i play through the game a second time thank god for skippable cutscenes.
Maybe you should play FFXII before you complain about it. If there's one thing nobody can complain about in FFXII, it's the game's awesome script (I'm talking dialogue, not overarching storyline) and voice acting (though I'm sure someone out there complains about this not being Japanese anyway).

Some of the best you'll see/hear in a game, at least to date. Very unlike FFX's horrific VA work.

Anyway, I enjoyed FFXI a great deal and all, but putting it above FFXII is pretty laughable, to say the least.

Shanks

I enjoyed FFXII the most, by far. I just liked the setting more for some reason. Although, it would be neat if they made a single player FF RPG in FFXI's world...

Man, they need to do another online FF with a similar gameplay system, just more sidequests/other things to do, and the license system from FFXII instead of a plain old leveling system. That would be a great MMO.

Buggy Loop said:
I sure would like peoples saying "it sucks ass" also mention how far they went into the game. Just saying suck ass doesnt cut it, you're immediatly a valkurn dunes noob in my eyes.

Well that shouldn't even be a problem. Sure it might have some great end-game stuff, but every damn MMO has that. It's making it fun getting there that is the hard part. WoW is the one that has done it the best. FFXI is one of the worst.

I've played several of the biggest MMOs and FFXI falls on its face there. The quest system is crap. It takes way too long to actually feel like you have freedom of exploration and the grind is just horrible.

I don't see why I should have to play a game for 500 hours to see the good stuff anyway.

In most every other FF in less than fifty hours I can see almost everything and have a generally entertaining experience.

Just because you put forth the investment doesn't mean everyone should follow suit and bad on you for claiming it's the best FF of this gen just because you're one of the few who made his way through it.

LevelNth

Banned
Segata = absolutely correct about XI.

It's a great game with an awesome battle system and incredible world/story, but it really is quite flawed. Some of that is due to the inherent problems within the MMO genre (long investment required, community that is 80% retarded, etc.), and some of it is specific flaws within XI (strict party requirements, suspect job balancing in the first couple years of release, lack of varied end game content).

I adored the ~2500 hours I put into it for the 13 months or so I played, but I'd never go back, and I likely won't play an MMO again. It's not a love or hate it game, it's a love and hate it.

genjiZERO

Xeke said:
Whats with the lack of FFX love?

because it's still trendy to hate on it
just as at one point it was trendy to hate on FF7
. Don't worry once FFXIII comes out people will magically love it again.

Anyway, this thread it dumb and completely unconstructive

Xeke

Banned
XI shouldn't have been a numbered game. It should have been like FFOnline or something. My beef with XII is that when I am playing a FF game I am playing it to chill. XII's battle system doesn't allow you to chill and wait for your turn, also I'm not very fond of the Gambit system...

Teasel

well i haven't played ffxi because while i think mmorpg work on paper,(that's it... a multiplayer rpg that requires teamwork to pull trough with it) i'm also pretty aware that the reality is quite different besides i hate the entire idea of pay per play...
that said,i loved ffx to the point of beating all the dark aeons,to gaf hate against ffx i say "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH"
ffx-2 was pretty much an useless game
as for ffxii,there is nothing in that game that impressed me,the story is almost non existent and the game itself it's just a matter of walking around,the fact that they created a spell that make you invincible it's also really stupid even if it last for only a single turn (hell at least ff8 had the decency of putting those hero drinks and the zero spell near the end of the game)

Blablurn

this thread is amazing. i never expected to see a person who calls Final Fantasy XI the best FF in this gen. This is so crazy!!! This has to be some kind of bad dream.

leehom

FF11 rocked. The difference between ff11 and WoW really shows off the two different cultures (america and japan). Ff11 requires brains (which most americans dont have) and it was alot of fun chilling with Japanese players who knew how to play.

leehom said:
FF11 rocked. The difference between ff11 and WoW really shows off the two different cultures (america and japan). Ff11 requires brains (which most americans dont have) and it was alot of fun chilling with Japanese players who knew how to play.

Oh shit, here we go.

leehom said:

Oh that's great. Glad to hear it.

bluemax

Banned
"XP chain which required a lot more skills than just killing the same goddamn enemies over and over,"

You lost me right here. All I remember from my experience of FF11 was sitting in parties and camping the same boring enemeis for hours on end. First it's Valkurn and Lizards, then you get a little stronger and you can fight the things by the beach, then it was off to that other sandy place and fighting the one enemy there. Then I quit playing because even though there were tons of quests and lots of awesome locales I couldn't convince anyone to do anything besides level grind.

Also trying to say players are smarter in FF11 is dumb. I saw just as many Red Mages who thought they were melee characters in FF11 as I saw Paladins in WoW who thought the same thing. Morons are universal.

Red Scarlet

I haven't played 11 (won't play MMORPG's), so I'll just have to chime in that I found the International 10 to be my favorite new FF this past generation. I hope you have fun with 11 if you still play it a lot, Buggy.

Gruco

Banned
firex said:
FF5 GBA isn't a spinoff and it wasn't online.
Haha, awesome.

I came in here planning to say "I'm pretty sure the best FF of this generation was the GBA remake of FF5, because the PS2 installments were all boring." Or, you know, something similar.

The second best FF of the generation being a toss-up between FF4: Advance and FF3: DS

Avalon

I agree with Buggy and the game is not a spin-off... do you see another Final Fantasy XI running around?

Game had far more depth, customization and was easily far more challenging then anything else the series has ever produced, I don't mean grinding either... story based missions involved a lot of strategy and endurance (CoP especially) and there was never a moment when every party member wasn't giving it all they had. The games in-game economy was second to none. The entire sever had to work together to keep it running.

Unfortunately, the games biggest downfall is the time that had to be invested (though I hear it has gotten a lot better).

Ynos Yrros said:
FFXII is a revolutionary jRPG.

:lol

I didn't realize non-instanced battles made a game revolutionary.

Buggy Loop

bluemax said:
"XP chain which required a lot more skills than just killing the same goddamn enemies over and over,"

You lost me right here. All I remember from my experience of FF11 was sitting in parties and camping the same boring enemeis for hours on end. First it's Valkurn and Lizards, then you get a little stronger and you can fight the things by the beach, then it was off to that other sandy place and fighting the one enemy there. Then I quit playing because even though there were tons of quests and lots of awesome locales I couldn't convince anyone to do anything besides level grind.

Also trying to say players are smarter in FF11 is dumb. I saw just as many Red Mages who thought they were melee characters in FF11 as I saw Paladins in WoW who thought the same thing. Morons are universal.

Point was that FFXII's system is just killing the same species over and over, while FFXI you can kill ANY shit thats even match+, as long as you do it fast. In FFXII i can take a 1 hour break, come back and kill the same shit again and the chain wont even be lost, just plain stupid system.

Those red mages you're talking about dont get past the jungles. Thats what i love about FFXI, the first 3 main areas are hell, dunes, qufim and jungles, it trims out the weak sauce.

Avalon

Buggy Loop said:
Thats what i love about FFXI, the first 3 main areas are hell, dunes, qufim and jungles, it trims out the weak sauce.

The level 40+ area is far better for trimming out the weak players. At that level, everyone has to know their place. Red Mages should be spending all their time spellcasting, Black Mages should not be nuking monsters like crazy, Warriors should be toning down their damage to let the tanks keep the monster focused, and the other stuff. So many people I knew switch professions at that level. :lol

Kusagari

FFXI is the biggest example of why people hate MMORPGs. The grind is absolutely insane, you fight the SAME EXACT MONSTER for 10 levels(I'm not sure if this changed but when I played to get to from 50-60 all people did was grind the same crabs for 10 levels. This gets so insanely boring compared to a MMORPG like WoW that has constantly different monsters), to do pretty much anything you need to be in a full party. I'm sorry but when I'm a lv 50 and I can barely kill lv 20s thats just stupid as hell.

FFXI was horrible (seemingly endless level grinding...yay!). While FFXII didn't have a great story it did have fantastic gameplay. Surely this thread is a joke, right?

Chichikov

leehom said:
And yet someone as obviously brainless as you are managed to play such cerebral game.
Wonders never cease.

If this statement was said about any other nationality/race he would’ve been banned.

Avalon

WickedLaharl said:
FFXI was horrible. While FFXII didn't have a great story it did have fantastic gameplay. Surely this thread is a joke, right?

Surely your comment is a joke. I can't believe anyone would consider combat that basically involves no player input for most encounters is better then something as involving as FFXI's.

Avalon said:
Surely your comment is a joke. I can't believe anyone would consider combat that basically involves no player input for most encounters is better then something as involving as FFXI's.

Nope. I loved the gambit system. Hell I'd even go as far as to say that FFX-2 was better than FFXI.

Kusagari said:
FFXI is the biggest example of why people hate MMORPGs. The grind is absolutely insane, you fight the SAME EXACT MONSTER for 10 levels(I'm not sure if this changed but when I played to get to from 50-60 all people did was grind the same crabs for 10 levels. This gets so insanely boring compared to a MMORPG like WoW that has constantly different monsters), to do pretty much anything you need to be in a full party. I'm sorry but when I'm a lv 50 and I can barely kill lv 20s thats just stupid as hell.

My memory is fuzzy but weren't there "Crabs of The Apocalypse" towards the endgame? They were basically different-colored crabs but with really evil sounding names.

Buggy loop said:
Point was that FFXII's system is just killing the same species over and over, while FFXI you can kill ANY shit thats even match+, as long as you do it fast. In FFXII i can take a 1 hour break, come back and kill the same shit again and the chain wont even be lost, just plain stupid system.

I can't believe you're actually comparing those completely different systems.
The only benefit you gain from chaining in FFXII is a better chance at getting drops + hp/mp bonuses while chaining in FFXI is at times essential to level.

I give FFXI the nod for having a better battle system and a better story than FFXII but that's about it.

In the end I don't even understand why these games are being directly compared in the first place. They are quite different from each other.

Most of the challenge in FFXII comes from the bosses/marks, usually gambits are for wiping out trash mobs as they can be taken out in a couple of hits. If you wanted to fight every single encounter exactly like the typical FFXI battle I imagine FFXII would be crossed off most if not all GOTY lists.

Avalon

WickedLaharl said:
Nope. I loved the gambit system.

Well, some of actually enjoy involving RPGs. You had to put a lot of thought in just about everything in FFXI. Your race, your job(s) and even all your non-battle skill. Sometimes I would go months without even touching a monster. Crafting, mining (in dangerous locations), fishing (on the boat watching newbies getting owned by sea horror) or just questing was a lot of fun.

I definitely agree with Buggy when he said it has the best story of any FF this generation too. All the story segments were so involving and a lot of them were really emotional (not to mention, EPIC). First MMORPG I've seen were they've really put a lot of time into the story and giving NPCs a lot of personality.

WickedLahar said:
Hell I'd even go as far as to say that FFX-2 was better than FFXI.

FFX-2 could have been a better game then FFXII if it wasn't boggled down by terrible setting, characters and story.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
In the end I don't even understand why these games are being directly compared in the first place. They are quite different from each other.

Your right, but they are always being compared for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom