• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel plans to demolish 17,000 Arab buildings in West Bank, UN says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
3. It doesn't grant building permits because the correct legal procedures are not followed. Do you suggest Israel relax these procedures for West Bank Arabs only?
You want the people of the West Bank to follow the same legal procedures as Israeli citizens when Israel won't actually make them citizens despite occupying their land?

M.D

when did i say israel is responsible for any of that?

so other bad things happening in the world suddenly makes the palestinian conflict ok now?

i've already posted my reasons why i think they're the biggest problem in this very thread, u can keep thinking they're saints, as it is obvious you're not gonna be changing ur mind any time soon

how u gonna mention russia and crimea when the palestinian conflict is basically that but on a bigger/longer but on more subtle level thanks to western propaganda?

like i said before, it isn't always about the number of deaths, the biggest problem is the conditions the conflicts create on the people living in palestine

sometimes people rather die than live in such conditions, open ur mind a bit rather than concentrating on raw numbers

I am asking you to explain how ""israel is the biggest problem we face in the modern era"" and you can't explain it, because it couldn't be more far from reality.

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict could be resolved tomorrow and the the world would be the same, except for (hopefully) better lives for people on both sides.

Even ignoring that blatant whataboutism, considering that a member of the Likud party just doxed the head of the opposition for having the audacity to suggest that Israel might want to help some Syrian refugees (something that is fully rejected by Israel by the way), maybe you shouldn't go there?

Never mind the refugees,how about the over 250,000 killed by Assad? Or those killed by ISIS.

What some "member of the Likud party" says is irrelevant.

You want the people of the West Bank to follow the same legal procedures as Israeli citizens when Israel won't actually make them citizens despite occupying their land?

They agreed to it under the Oslo Accords.

I'm personally not happy that Israel doesn't officially annex Area C and give full citizenship to the Arabs there, but that's another issue.

Chichikov

Why the fuck are we playing that "is Israel worth than the 2008 financial collapse" game?
Does this type of weird ass ranking serve any purpose other than distract this thread from talking about the issue in the OP?

goomba

Banned
the two state solution is now impossible, its time for Israelestine . a true democracy with equal rights for all.

goomba

Banned
Then how will there be a Jewish state?

"Jewish state" implies that Israel is, or should be, either a theocracy (if we take the word "Jewish" to apply to the religion of Judaism) or an apartheid state (if we take the word "Jewish" to apply to the ethnicity of Jews), or both, and in all of these cases, Israel is then no longer a democracy - something which has rightly been the pride of most Israelis since the country's founding in 1948.

kmag

Problem is that Palestinians build literally anywhere without any form of permit that is required by Israeli law.

Israel has control of Area C as agreed by the Oslo Accords. Should they relax their building laws in the area? Ah but then more Jews will build there too. Ok so relax the law only for Arabs then. The Supreme Court would come down on that decision like a ton of bricks.

It's literally impossible for Israel to win in this situation.

For what it's worth, Israel really isn't reliant on US support and would continue to act in it's best interest regardless.

Is that you, Hassan Nasrallah?

Sorry Syrians, we don't really care that much about your plight. Israel might demolish houses built without planning permission.

According to Israeli Civil Administration data, Palestinians submitted 2,020 applications for building permits in Area C between 2010 and 2014 and only 33 (1.5%) were approved.

The report found the planning and zoning regime applied by the Israeli authorities, including the way land is allocated, “made it virtually impossible for Palestinians to obtain building permits in most of Area C”.

Less than 1% of Area C had been planned for Palestinian construction – even basic residential and livelihood structures, such as a tent or a fence, required a permit.

Try again.

params7

Banned
I don't understand why they don't just go and massacre all Palestinians and take over the whole region.
I mean, that seems to be what they want so they should step up and show their true face. Maybe that way they will get a slap in the hand or something.

What's the reactions from Israel people regarding this crap? Is the media in Israel controlled by the government? Are there any gatherings of Israelis against this or do most of them agree?

Israel is doing that, albeit slowly. That way they grab land unnoticed. A systematic approach to invasion. Meanwhile they do everything in their power to make Palestinian lives hell with extreme sanctions.

Jonm1010

Banned
I expected at least some discussion on how this will impact Palestinians and Palestine-Israel relations and yes, I expected a quite a bit of discussion about America. This one was only about America and it was a conversation we have had countless times.

Like I said, it gets annoying seeing every discussion in basically every non-american news thread revert back to America. Hell, the Japanese work and abortion thread I created discussed America for like 1/2 the time.

As for my complaint post, that was me simply giving up. There was really no point to try to gently lead it back to a topic we havent discussed a billion times before then since I already decided to stop trying. Perhaps that was indulgent and petty, but whatever, I felt a need to express it.

Israel is has a modern economy and isnt dependent on the US for economic or military assistance. I am not sure how the US not backing Israel will force them to change.

I do agree that we should certainly stop suipporting them, and only international condemnation will end it, but that is going to take a long fucking while, and it will only end with either economic sanctions forcing Israel to stop or Israel listening to that condemnation and slowly realizing that they better stop.

This is an overwhelmingly American forum. When a topic has an angle that is relatable to Americans it will be brought up. It's just how it is. Often times that does lead to more nuanced and distinct conversations outside of the American influence sphere of discussion.

By way of making such a big fuss you pretty much just ensured that which you didn't want to happen. You derailed the thread and made it completely about America complacency in this.

Next time just make a point that is about what you want to talk about and see if it sparks a conversation. When you try and force people not to talk about something they are going to talk about it. And if you had stuck around you would see how the thread eventually did move on from the American angle.

Mr Git

Ugh. Israel still being a massive cunt and no one will do anything about it because it's Israel. If there's any justice in the world Netanyahu will get a rocket in the bollocks considering legal proceedings will never work for any of them.

genjiZERO

Israel is the Malfoy of the Middle East. A little douche who gets away with being a shit because daddy (America) has money and influence.

the two state solution is now impossible, its time for Israelestine . a true democracy with equal rights for all.

I agree, but this is going to require a considerable amount of reparations for the property stolen from Palestinians over the decades. This will never happen unless there is a dramatic cultural shift amongst Israelis.

kess

Huh, wasn't the West Bank held up as an example of how Palestinians and Israeli's can live side by side during the Gaza war?

It seems like this is often ignored -- Gaza, bloody and beaten preserves some kind of autonomy, but the West Bank is slowly and passively dissolved. Obviously this takes away the motivations for peace but but the Israeli far right doesn't want peace on Palestinian terms, anyway.

Jonm1010

Banned
It seems like this is often ignored -- Gaza, bloody and beaten preserves some kind of autonomy, but the West Bank is slowly and passively dissolved. Obviously this takes away the motivations for peace but but the Israeli far right doesn't want peace on Palestinian terms, anyway.

And people wonder why those in Gaza haven't exactly been enthusiastic about embracing non-violent resistance. Look what it has done for the West Bank. Israel just moves the goal posts and takes advantage of their weakness all the same.

Edit: for instance just look at the farce that is occurring right now with this and simultaneously the arson victim who just died at the hands of Jewish extremists and the little effort that has been put toward seeking justice. Or the price tag attacks by Jewish settlers in Palestinians for the actions of the Israelis government.

Uncle

Area C covers 60% of the West Bank, which was temporarily divided into three parts – A,B and C – under the 1995 Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, signed by Israel and the Palestinian Liberation Organisation (PLO). Area C was supposed to be transferred to the Palestinian Authority by the end of 1998 but Israel has maintained military control of the area.

Why are they still controlling the area?

Never mind the refugees,how about the over 250,000 killed by Assad? Or those killed by ISIS.

What some "member of the Likud party" says is irrelevant.

They agreed to it under the Oslo Accords.

I'm personally not happy that Israel doesn't officially annex Area C and give full citizenship to the Arabs there, but that's another issue.
Assad, ISIS, and Al Qaida will be gone tomorrow, a footnote in history just like many other bloodthirsty groups. Israel will still be here, still bulldozing Palestinians and still be dropping bombs in Gaza indiscriminately. Israel has been doing that for past decades, and this will be the source of animosity and conflict in the region for decades to come. Lets not deflect the crimes of Israel, of which there are many.

This.

US foreign policy needs to change.

Here we go again...

I think it is probably a good thing that I am not a mod since I would start banning everyone who brings up America without bothering to actually engage with the main story. I am getting really tired of wanting to discuss non-American news topics, but it always coming back to America and America dominating the discussion.

Well, there is one thing that I can do, and that is I learned my lesson and I am not going to bother creating international news threads since there clearly isnt any point.

Needs to become a bannable offence. Even as a non-American its starting to really get annoying.

Jonm1010

Banned
Here we go again...

Get over it. America is going to be in the conversation of Israeli/Palestenian affairs for as long as we continue to be Israel's shield from any sort of international action toward Israeli atrocities.

Doubly so because this is an American centric forum. Again, get over it. You and pie cake are making this thread more about American policy in the area than anyone else by not just moving on or participating in the non-American centric discussions going on.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Here we go again...

Needs to become a bannable offence. Even as a non-American its starting to really get annoying.

When the US is basically forcing the hands of all its trade partners, what do you really expect? The US is probably the sole reason why Israels action have been tolerated for so long. It is also constantly vetoing any UN resolution to amend the situation.

You cannot talk about modern Israel's political circumstances without inclusding the US.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Problem is that Palestinians build literally anywhere without any form of permit that is required by Israeli law.

Israel has control of Area C as agreed by the Oslo Accords. Should they relax their building laws in the area? Ah but then more Jews will build there too. Ok so relax the law only for Arabs then. The Supreme Court would come down on that decision like a ton of bricks.

It's literally impossible for Israel to win in this situation.

For what it's worth, Israel really isn't reliant on US support and would continue to act in it's best interest regardless.

Is that you, Hassan Nasrallah?

Sorry Syrians, we don't really care that much about your plight. Israel might demolish houses built without planning permission.

Yeah, how dare they build whatever they want on their own fucking land. Such gall!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
What's the reactions from Israel people regarding this crap? Is the media in Israel controlled by the government? Are there any gatherings of Israelis against this or do most of them agree?
The media isn't controlled by the government, and depending on who you ask, the media either has a left- or right-wing bias (guess which is which). There are many media outlets, including a version of FOX or whatever. The biggest one (I think) is ynet which I guess has a centerist-right viewpoint.

Like every democracy, there are people are divided on many issues. The majority in Israel, as could be seen in the last election would probably support this (citing rule of the law, illegal settlements by Palestinians etc.). I would say support for Jewish settlements in the West Bank is probably about ~60%.

Remember that Bibi got a quarter of all votes recently. The Jewish/Orthodox parties also have some major weight in the government as they're the only ones willing to form a coalition with Bibi's party.
He basically must cave to any demands they have if he wants to stay PM.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
In addition to my previous guesstimate (why does chrome not correct that?), here is some poll data from June '14 (taken by 550 Jewish Israelis):
2753264681.jpg
Translation:
59% believe that the settlers harm Israeli-US relations (ha!).
52% believe that Palestinians are not "partners" in peace (you can not make a lasting peace with them).
40% believe that the Jewish Settlements in the West Bank are a waste of the country's money.
52% support withdrawing partially or completely as part of a peace agreement.
71% say that the confrontations the settlers have with the IDF makes them difficult to support/empathise with.
31% support partial or complete annexation of the West Bank.

http://www.haaretz.co.il/news/education/.premium-1.2350037

In a more recent poll from June '15:
Do you support or oppose the dismantling of settlements in the West Bank?
Support - 38%
Oppose - 54%
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Society_&_Culture/isposettle.html (unfamiliar with the source)

Kar

The media isn't controlled by the government, and depending on who you ask, the media either has a left- or right-wing bias (guess which is which). There are many media outlets, including a version of FOX or whatever. The biggest one (I think) is ynet which I guess has a centerist-right viewpoint.

Like every democracy, there are people are divided on many issues. The majority in Israel, as could be seen in the last election would probably support this (citing rule of the law, illegal settlements by Palestinians etc.). I would say support for Jewish settlements in the West Bank is probably about ~60%.

Remember that Bibi got a quarter of all votes recently. The Jewish/Orthodox parties also have some major weight in the government as they're the only ones willing to form a coalition with Bibi's party.
He basically must cave to any demands they have if he wants to stay PM.
ynet in centric-left/left.

ApharmdX

Banned
Nothing really gets done about this bullshit though, I've kind of given up on the idea of Israel answering for its fuckery. You see a news story like this every few weeks and its pretty sad.

Thanks AIPAC and others. The US/Israel relationship is a clear-cut example of "tail wagging the dog". It sucks but there's hope- support for Israel is lower among liberals and younger voters. In 20 years we might divest ourselves of that apartheid state.

Exactly how does the US benefit in this relationship?

We don't.

The world is turning against Israel. Soon leaders across the world will turn against them. That land belongs to the people, not jews, christians or muslims, share the land. Its important in all those religions. But the Zionists are pure evil.

Dai101

Banned
Obama literally can't do jack shit. He hates Netanyahu and opposes settlement construction. That much is certain.

He can't do much as the gop and some dems will never touch nor do anything against israel since thats pretty much political suicide.

Dai101

Banned
For what? Making a bad argument that got exposed several posts later?

Not bad per se, but certainly an incomplete picture.

Since i can't post it anymore (or else, get banned) look for the Hasbara Bingo Card. You know what i mean.

Jonm1010

Banned
Since i can't post it anymore (or else, get banned) look for the Hasbara Bingo Card. You know what i mean.
Haha. I read your post. Read it again. Then a third time! Still wasn't following. Then I re-read Bingo again and it finally clicked!

...Long day

Kadayi

Banned

Indeed. The entire mentality of that post was hilarious. I mean we're talking about land which as far as the international community (bar the US) is concerned is under an illegal military occupation that in simply a cover story for a sustained land grab. The very fact that settlements are being built on the land is proof positive of the Israeli governments intention to never withdraw from the region, versus continue to expand until they push what remains of the Palestinians into the sea.

It's frankly shameful that so many who are in a position to actively do something to address this issue in Washington do absolutely nothing about it. In a few hundred years people will look back on the politicians of now and marvel at their cravenness to address the injustice that they allowed to perpetuate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom