• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Dechaios said:
And one of the best voices in the series!

Seriously. Braig/Xigbar always felt like a perfect blend of an FF and Disney villain to me. His snappy dialogue combined with an awesome voice and well delivered lines really makes me wish he could get his own spinoff. The series needs an anti-hero, and not a brooding one like Riku. Not to mention his awesome guns.

So people who have fought
Mysterious Figure
, is it true about what they're saying now, that you have turn off
all unnecessary abilities to change his A.I. and to make it easier
?

cosmicblizzard said:
Seriously. Braig/Xigbar always felt like a perfect blend of an FF and Disney villain to me. His snappy dialogue combined with an awesome voice and well delivered lines really makes me wish he could get his own spinoff. The series needs an anti-hero, and not a brooding one like Riku. Not to mention his awesome guns.

I'd like to point out that he was playable in 358/2 Days.

He sucked.

Niblet

badcrumble said:
Ventus -> Terra -> Aqua would also be acceptable when it comes to the "main" plot, but generally speaking Terra's the one who shows up first to each of the Disney worlds so he really ought to be played first.

My play order was Ventus->Aqua->Terra and I must say that it was really enjoyable for exactly the reason you mention - Terra gets to those worlds first. You do not have a complete picture because you have not done Terra's story so you are left to ponder if what other characters are saying about Terra is true and if so why? Also there is a good dynamic in regards to the relevance of all 3 characters.

Playing Ventus 1st felt natural because he was easily identifiable by his Sora likeness. His overall relevance to events feels no less important than Terra and his story felt complete.

Aqua is weird for me. I started off feeling she was the least relevant of the 3 in terms of story. Both Ventus's and Terra's stories could standalone, but I don't feel that way about Aqua. But as I progressed my thoughts evolved. Although hers is more of a reactionary role (she almost always arrives last) I began feeling that she was definitely going to play a critical role in the end game. I equate her story to being the glue of BBS. She easily became my favorite KH protagonist and at the end of her story I was very confident in my thoughts of her role and overall importance to the story. I will say that her story is probably an excellent choice to save for last though.

Terra, like Ventus, felt mostly self contained and complete. Playing him last gave me insight that cleared my confusion from A-V playthroughs. I'm still unsure as to my feelings for his ending. At this point I accept that Kingdom Hearts has a terribly convoluted story that is just groan inducing at times, but I'm not sure if I welcome the revelation or not.

Then we have the final chapter. Don't feel like using spoiler tags so I won't discuss now.

Also: This game is so obviously Kingdom Hearts 3 that I know when Square-Enix announces a "Kingdom Hearts 3" I am going to shake my head in discontent.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ferga said:
how do you get the sticker as ventus in the audience chamber in enchanted domain?
Go to the highest point of the stairs before you change areas, jump and keep air sliding to the sticker.

Is there anywhere in the in-game help that actually TELLS you that stickers have different values depending on where you place them? Took me a while to realize it on my own.

badcrumble said:
Is there anywhere in the in-game help that actually TELLS you that stickers have different values depending on where you place them? Took me a while to realize it on my own.

I realized it near immediately.

I just placed the stickers in logical places really(balloons in the sky, flowers on the ground, food on a tree stump because I don't want no damn ants crawlin' on my food, etc.).

Fuu

badcrumble said:
I don't think it outright tells you but it makes a different sound and effect when you stick it at a wrong area (less sparkles), like a character flying or a balloon on the floor. I noticed it quickly because of that.

Fimbulvetr said:
I realized it near immediately.

I just placed the stickers in logical places really(balloons in the sky, flowers on the ground, food on a tree stump because I don't want no damn ants crawlin' on my food, etc.).
I placed them in illogical places and tried my damnedest to make funny scenes out of them (Terra getting run over by Pete, etc.) and thought for the longest time that stickers just had different point values :(

Fuu

badcrumble said:
I placed them in illogical places and tried my damnedest to make funny scenes out of them (Terra getting run over by Pete, etc.) and thought for the longest time that stickers just had different point values :(
:lol

Now I wish you didn't realize just to know what you'd pull with all the ice cream scoops on Ven's picture.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Huge progress in KH1 last night. After Hollow Bastion's 3-boss pseudo-endgame, I thought I was basically done. Clearly not. I spent an additional hour after the fact doing the sweep of remaining worlds in order to wrap up sidequests and Trinities. I'm ready to return to Hollow Bastion for the second time.

I'm also just past 70 days in, in Days. Making great progress on getting myself caught up. Will be moving on to Re: CoM after KH1 is done, not KH2 first as initially planned.

Aru said:
Yeah, I had problems with him too.
And
Braig. After beating him, I pretty much understood that Xigbar is his Nobody (right-eye lost, weapons, and even his face is similar). Also, his name. Xigbar without the X gives Braig if we mix up the letters.
Not sure if you knew, but Nobodies take the names of their Somebody alts, only in anagramed form and with the letter X added somewhere. It's not just that character you mentioned.

darkjedi187 said:
Aqua's story on proud seems way harder than Terra or Ven. She seems very slow.
Just keep melding commands (playing Command Board at the earliest opportunity will help with this) and she'll become outrageously powerful outrageously fast.

badcrumble said:
Just keep melding commands (playing Command Board at the earliest opportunity will help with this) and she'll become outrageously powerful outrageously fast.

Thanks. You know I have barely played the command boards. They don't seem very fun to me. Then again I haven't tried them since the beginning of Terra's story over 30 some hours ago.

darkjedi187 said:
Thanks. You know I have barely played the command boards. They don't seem very fun to me. Then again I haven't tried them since the beginning of Terra's story over 30 some hours ago.
They're not that fun if you're just playing against one AI because you'll beat them very very easily once you figure the game out, but they're pretty great if you play against several AIs since you'll have an honest chance of losing and since they'll last longer and have much more money passing between characters.

Phenomic

What a game! One of the most intense titles I've played in a while man they didn't skimp on hard mode this time around. Sadly I'm still hopelessly lost as to what went on in the ending.
I hope the secret movie is good shouldn't be too long now.

Braig on proud mode...
122kr9f.jpg

My strategy consisted of mashing the square button, and it eventually worked. The boss before him was no joke either. -_-

Jerk

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
My strategy consisted of mashing the square button, and it eventually worked.

This was more or less everyones strategy.

I have (ab)used square more with Terra than I have with the others combined.

Nose Master

ninj4junpei said:
Braig on proud mode...
122kr9f.jpg

My strategy consisted of mashing the square button, and it eventually worked. The boss before him was no joke either. -_-

Wha? Braig is a joke (on Proud). You can literally just run/dash in a circle waiting for Cure cooldown, if you really get hurt. Just don't finish your combos on him, do 3ish hits and back off / get ready to dodge. Otherwise you'll just be swinging at open air and eating bullets.

The move where he just runs around you in a circle spraying bullets is no joke, though. I was pretty much dead anytime I got caught in that. :lol

Is there a way to determine your command synthing boosts, other than "I'll get fireboost with firaga!". I've gotten Air Combo+ about 3 times now, despite it being maxed out, and ground combo still needing two spots. Are the commands I'm making aerial (pretty sure they're not), or is it just random?

Nose Master said:
Wha? Braig is a joke (on Proud). You can literally just run/dash in a circle waiting for Cure cooldown, if you really get hurt. Just don't finish your combos on him, do 3ish hits and back off / get ready to dodge. Otherwise you'll just be swinging at open air and eating bullets.

The move where he just runs around you in a circle spraying bullets is no joke, though. I was pretty much dead anytime I got caught in that. :lol

Is there a way to determine your command synthing boosts, other than "I'll get fireboost with firaga!". I've gotten Air Combo+ about 3 times now, despite it being maxed out, and ground combo still needing two spots. Are the commands I'm making aerial (pretty sure they're not), or is it just random?

Commands have preset skills associated with each gem. You just have to know which get which boosts.

duckroll

I've been thinking. By the time the Sept NPD numbers come in next month, does anyone think this thread will have more views than the number of sales? :lol

duckroll said:
I've been thinking. By the time the Sept NPD numbers come in next month, does anyone think this thread will have more views than the number of sales? :lol

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Seriously, wtf was up with the Demon's Souls thread?

BiggNife

ninj4junpei said:
Braig on proud mode...
122kr9f.jpg

He really wasn't that bad once I got the hang of it. Shotlock is your best friend here; using Sonic Shadow constantly took out a huge portion of his health, and then countering his shots and the occasional melee barrage did the rest.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
duckroll said:
Nah it is Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts sells

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
duckroll said:
Yeah that's what we said about Metal Gear Solid too! :lol
=(

At least BBS is charting in PAL everywhere in the top 10, tha has to mean something, right?

Right?? :O

Nose Master said:

Each ability has a deteremined set of possible auto abilities you just need the right gem to get it. I've been using this guide ,just match the ability with the letter in the table then match the gems. (Easier then it sounds lol)

Hope that helps.

Ventus's story, Vanitas round 3.....this fight is not to favorable on critical. I dislike the notion of having to grind for hours.
keyblade graveyard fight at the end but this is not the final battle though

Also I can't seem to make lighting ray with Ven, it should be thunder + thundara if I'm not mistaken?

Peff

Urban Scholar said:
Ventus's story, Vanitas round 3.....this fight is not to favorable on critical. I dislike the notion of having to grind for hours.
keyblade graveyard fight at the end but this is not the final battle though

Also I can't seem to make lighting ray with Ven, it should be thunder + thundara if I'm not mistaken?

It's a rare command, and one of the rarer ones. It's easier to get it with the Stitch Command Board

Fuu

Urban Scholar said:
There's only a 10% chance for any of the possible melding combinations for Lightning Ray turning into it, imo it's quicker to just try to get it on the command board (the Deep Space one, I think).

edit: beaten.

Honestly, I think the weakest point of this game may be the voice acting. And while Terra doesn't bother me that much, it's more all the Disney characters, who sound like cheap knock-offs of the Disney originals. Snow White and the Fairy Godmother were two of the worse offenders.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Honestly, I think the weakest point of this game may be the voice acting. And while Terra doesn't bother me that much, it's more all the Disney characters, who sound like cheap knock-offs of the Disney originals. Snow White and the Fairy Godmother were two of the worse offenders.
The fact that
the Wicked Stepmother and Ugly Stepsisters actually got killed ahahahaha
made me unconditionally love the Disney side of this game. Also, the voice acting's fairly decent when you consider that the original voice actors for a lot of this stuff have been dead for decades. The cutscene animation, as always, delivers like hell. In fact, I'd say that the cutscenes with the low-quality models are better animated in Birth By Sleep than they ever have been in the previous games - maybe it's just the small PSP screen but they do a much better job of making you not notice when it's the lower-quality model with the texture-mouth because everything else is still being animated so well. Hades, especially, was extraordinarily well-animated this time around.

Peff

^That's easily the weirdest cutscene in the entire series, I wonder how it got past the ESRB :lol It bugged me that the three Evil Women were voiced by the same actress, but that's pretty much it, I think.

Resilient

badcrumble said:
The fact that
the Wicked Stepmother and Ugly Stepsisters actually got killed ahahahaha
made me unconditionally love the Disney side of this game. Also, the voice acting's fairly decent when you consider that the original voice actors for a lot of this stuff have been dead for decades. The cutscene animation, as always, delivers like hell. In fact, I'd say that the cutscenes with the low-quality models are better animated in Birth By Sleep than they ever have been in the previous games - maybe it's just the small PSP screen but they do a much better job of making you not notice when it's the lower-quality model with the texture-mouth because everything else is still being animated so well. Hades, especially, was extraordinarily well-animated this time around.

This pisses me off to no end. I just don't understand why they need to do this with the eyes and mouth.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
duckroll said:
Are there indications that it isn't tracking well in the West?
How did it do in Japan ultimately?

lantus

Can someone help me out with
Terra's last boss battle against Xehanort in your body
I try to dodge and block as much as possible, but it seems pretty ineffective since he just breaks my block almost all of the time. Also, what is the solution for that attack when he pops out from the ground?

Seda

lantus said:
I try to dodge and block as much as possible, but it seems pretty ineffective since he just breaks my block almost all of the time. Also, what is the solution for that attack when he pops out from the ground?

Adding some passive abilities can make things a lot easier.

Seda said:
Here are some useful passive abilities to meld (in order of highest priority to lowest). Many of these are generally useful throughout the game.

Second Chance [Blizzara + Blizzara + Pulsing Crystal]
Once More [Fira + Fira + Wellspring Crystal

3x HP Boost [Fire + Fire + Soothing Crystal]
Leaf Bracer [Fire + Fire + Pulsing Crystal]
2x Dark Screen [Quick Blitz + Sliding Dash + Shimmering Crystal]
2x Fire Screen [Sliding Dash + Fire + Shimmering Crystal]

from the melding section of this guide

(Other elemental screens are also useful, but Fire and Dark attacks seem to be more prevalent, not only for this boss but throughout the game)

Also, you can jump and air dodge the ground attack (IIRC), it just requires good timing.

It seems to work better if you air dodge towards the direction of the attack.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'breaking your block', but insofar as the Dark Impulse Finisher is concerned, when he drops into the ground just Air Dash over it.

duckroll

lantus said:

You can try this strategy which I used (from memory, several months old, might be slightly inaccurate):

- Start the battle by doing a fully locked Shoot Lock attack as he approaches

- After that, wait for him to walk towards you. As he attacks normally, just block and counter.

- The trick is to block and counter twice, and then dash away. Usually after two normal attacks, he'll do a combo attack which might break your guard, or attack again right after his attack is blocked, damaging you as you are about to counter.

- If he pops into the ground, wait and time a dash away from him as he pops up.

- When the meteor attack starts, quickly dash away to the far edge of the map and lock on to him to get a good camera position, then UNLOCK so you're not actually locked on to him. Then wait, and as the meteors fly towards you wait until the last second and mash guard. You'll be able to block most if not all of them. Do not counter (duh) because it's pointless.

- Right after the attack ends, immediately do a fully locked Shoot Lock on him. Make sure you have a full lock and only let go to trigger the attack when he's completely done with his casting animation and is in a weakened "recovery" animation.

Edit: I should note, for this fight don't bother casting any attack commands or magic. Use only Shoot Lock, healing spells, and guard+counter.

hamchan

So after finishing Ven's story I'm more confused than ever about the overall story of KH. Like, Vanitas, what was up with that whole thing? A kinda mind-blowing but confusing moment.

Top Bottom