• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Phenomic

entrement said:
No, not for now. I wouldn't rule it out, though.

I would.. Why would they port this game to a console? They just announced Final Mix on the PSP. It's designed like a PSP game, meant to be on portable, zones can be played and completed in short small bursts, and it's not even available as a digital download on the PSN.
Like Stump said if you want to play this game just get this system it's not going anywhere.

entrement said:
No, not for now. I wouldn't rule it out, though.

I suppose, in the same way that given the vastness of space you can't rule the existance of other life.

Don't be giving people false hope. The same thing was said about both Crisis Core and Dissidia and where are the PS2/3 versions of them?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Made all the ice creams with Terra, nice of the Prize Pods to be easy to spawn and deal with (I wish there was a mushroom-type unversed though, maybe in BbS FM). The Sweetstack keyblade looks terrible but it's so strong, it will be funny to fight
Vanitas Remnant
using it.

Tailzo

So I started up Kingdom Hearts a couple of days ago. I choose the hardest difficulty level and died pretty early on. (Yeah, stupid me.)

Is it that important to play on a hard difficulty level in this game? The warnings of not being able to change the difficulty level later made me belive I should go for a tough challenge. But This is my first KH game, so I guess I suck.

Also, I really don't like the kinda smooth skin look on all the characters. And well, none of them seem interesting. If I only play through the game once, what main character gets the most interesting party members? (Or do they differ at all?) I'm kinda dissapointed I didn't like it better. I even had the game on preorder.

Tailzo said:
So I started up Kingdom Hearts a couple of days ago. I choose the hardest difficulty level and died pretty early on. (Yeah, stupid me.)

Is it that important to play on a hard difficulty level in this game? The warnings of not being able to change the difficulty level later made me belive I should go for a tough challenge. But This is my first KH game, so I guess I suck.

Also, I really don't like the kinda smooth skin look on all the characters. And well, none of them seem interesting. If I only play through the game once, what main character gets the most interesting party members? (Or do they differ at all?) I'm kinda dissapointed I didn't like it better. I even had the game on preorder.

Smooth skin look? Have you ever played a JRPG?

But anyway, all 3 characters are meant to be played. Each one plays differently and have different stuff happen to them. There really aren't any party members outside of small event fights.

I guess if I HAD to pick only 1, Ventus was probably my favorite.

But yeah, you probably should've at least tried the other ones before diving head first into this one. You could probably get the first game for 5 bux somewhere. Not much of a loss if you don't like it.

Tailzo

^Thanks for the reply.

Since english is not my first language, I find it difficult to explain this. But none of the 10+ other rpg games I've played this year have the same look that this game has. (except maybe the faces of the characters in Star Ocean 4) By "smooth skin look" I actually meant that the game looks kinda sterile. But forget it, it's not that important.

Yeah, it's my fault for blindly jumping into this game. But now that I have it, I want to make sure it's as enjoyable as possible :)

Well, 'sterile' is certainly a criticism I can get behind, especially after Cinderella's ball in which all of 5 people were present.

But that's more the environments than the people, and it's a longstanding issue of the KH series.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Or after you win that certain battle at the Coliseum and all the rows of nonexistent people cheer profusely and throw confetti. The camera even pans around. I understand the team can't be bothered to model differently clothed generic NPCs for every world but the Coliseum is always a joke in the games with no one watching and monsters signing up for every match for some reason. It deserves better!

What's the overall consensus on preferred commands/setups for each character? I mean, Faith and Salvation are basically a given for Ventus, and you can't really go wrong with Megaflare, but what about Terra and Aqua?

badcrumble said:
What's the overall consensus on preferred commands/setups for each character? I mean, Faith and Salvation are basically a given for Ventus, and you can't really go wrong with Megaflare, but what about Terra and Aqua?

Chaos Blade for Terra.

Magic Hour and Seeker Mines for Aqua.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
PLEASE tell me that I'm close to the end ot KH1. Finished Halloween Town, Winnie the Pooh, and Neverland last night. I'm still missing half or more of the Ansem Reports and 2 of the Trinity colors, but it seems like I'm just about out of worlds to explore. Going to get Cid to upgrade my ship again, and perform another sweep of beaten worlds now that I have more powers and Trinities. But I've got to be almost done, right?

20 hours on the clock. Character in low to mid 40s for levels.

Peff

Mejilan said:
PLEASE tell me that I'm close to the end ot KH1. Finished Halloween Town, Winnie the Pooh, and Neverland last night. I'm still missing half or more of the Ansem Reports and 2 of the Trinity colors, but it seems like I'm just about out of worlds to explore. Going to get Cid to upgrade my ship again, and perform another sweep of beaten worlds now that I have more powers and Trinities. But I've got to be almost done, right?

Still a handful of hours to go, but you are close.

If you've finished Neverland, then yeah, you're in the home stretch.

The next dungeon world is loooooooooooooong and remains one of my all-time favourite videogame locales.

Mejilan

Hollow Bastion is the next and final area, I take it.
The OST had some of the best songs pegged for that location.
Am I supposed to have more Ansem Reports by now?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
At Terra's part

Master Eraqus is fucking cheap, he does a lot combos continuously. Anyway to beat him?

Mejilan said:

There's one point where you get a whole bunch.

Also, Hollow Bastion is not the final area.

At Ventus' part

Master Eraqus is fucking cheap, he does a lot combos continuously. Anyway to beat him?

Wait, Ventus fights that boss? Did I miss something?

Peff

Mejilan said:

You get several reports in Hollow Bastion, but you'll still be missing one in the Hades Cup.

ULTROS! said:
At Ventus' part

Block.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Pureauthor said:
Wait, Ventus fights that boss? Did I miss something?

Sorry, wrong name. I mixed up the names. :X

Fimbulvetr said:
Chaos Blade for Terra.

Magic Hour and Seeker Mines for Aqua.
Chaos Blade and Seeker Mines both own, but what's Magic Hour? :eek:
Mejilan said:

You're close to the end, kinda, but also you're at the part where suddenly the game becomes REALLY FUCKING AWESOME (a ton of great boss fights, you become really fucking powerful, you'll have some great stuff to compete in at the Coliseum, and also the music for basically the rest of the game is going to be really really good).

And you're kind of almost-done and kind of not, but it shouldn't matter because you're about to get a good deal more powerful and also start having a ton more fun. <3

Just remember to use Tinkerbell (regenerating health until you die, at which point you get resurrected) and Aero magic if you're having trouble with the boss fights. Also, dodge roll.

Mejilan

Sounds great, thanks. Looking forward to wrapping this up and moving on to better KHs. Including BbS, eventually.

ULTROS! said:
Sorry, wrong name. I mixed up the names. :X

In that case, you can

1) Reflect his light orbs back at him. They take off like a 3rd of a lifebar.

2) When he does the flying sword attack, prep a charging type attack to use as soon as he releases them. That lets you avoid the swords and hit him at the same time.

3) When he does the stabbing slide thing, just avoid. Blocking isn't worth it.

4) Try to use Commands over standard combos, because Eraqus can teleport out of it and counter.

5) If you need a quick session of invincibility, Shotlock. Eraqus doesn't zip about much, so you can lock on pretty easily.

Also, if this guy is giving you trouble you're going to cry at the Final Boss. :/

Mejilan said:
Sounds great, thanks. Looking forward to wrapping this up and moving on to better KHs. Including BbS, eventually.
I hope you like it more by the end - the remainder of the game is the best part of it, and good enough (in my opinion) that it might turn your opinion around.

By the way, unless someone would care to correct me on this, you can probably play 358/2 Days between RE:CoM and Kingdom Hearts 2.

badcrumble said:
I hope you like it more by the end - the remainder of the game is the best part of it, and good enough (in my opinion) that it might turn your opinion around.

By the way, unless someone would care to correct me on this, you can probably play 358/2 Days between RE:CoM and Kingdom Hearts 2.

In terms of plot, those 3 games can be played interchangeably but the impact of several scenes are going to be way different.

Pureauthor said:
In terms of plot, those 3 games can be played interchangeably but the impact of several scenes are going to be way different.
Well, I'm just saying that CoM follows fairly well from KH1, but I don't think that KH2 is necessary to understand 358/2 Days, but playing 358/2 Days (even though it came out LATER) will actually really really help the first several hours of KH2 actually make sense.

badcrumble said:
Chaos Blade and Seeker Mines both own, but what's Magic Hour? :eek:

Aqua teleports above random enemies(or the same enemy if there's only one) and does a downward thrust.

I think she does 8 hits at max(you have to hit triangle to make her go again).

Urban Scholar said:
Double exp? I think D-link has officially been justified for myself.

Aqua's link has Auto-Life when maxed out. Just putting that out there.

Fimbulvetr said:
Aqua teleports above random enemies(or the same enemy if there's only one) and does a downward thrust.

I think she does 8 hits at max(you have to hit triangle to make her go again).
Well that sounds about a million times better than the one where she casts Stop on enemies and combos them (mainly just eats up time, plus it's interruptible and fairly useless against bosses).

I really wish Raging Storm were worth a damn against bosses, it pumps out such crazy damage but you also get the shit beaten out of you if the enemies don't stun or get killed :(

badcrumble said:
Well that sounds about a million times better than the one where she casts Stop on enemies and combos them (mainly just eats up time, plus it's interruptible and fairly useless against bosses).

I really wish Raging Storm were worth a damn against bosses, it pumps out such crazy damage but you also get the shit beaten out of you if the enemies don't stun or get killed :(

Triple Firaga, Triple Blizzaga, and Thundaga Shot are also pretty good.

Duckroll, by the way, the one thing I do still really like from the first Kingdom Hearts game is the MP system - I seriously prefer it to the one in KH2.

badcrumble said:
Duckroll, by the way, the one thing I do still really like from the first Kingdom Hearts game is the MP system - I seriously prefer it to the one in KH2.

First, wrong KH thread. :p

Second, neither system was particularly good to me. I think the general shift away from the MP mechanic has been a good thing for the series.

Pureauthor said:
First, wrong KH thread. :p

Second, neither system was particularly good to me. I think the general shift away from the MP mechanic has been a good thing for the series.
Whoops!

And yeah with regard to literally anything battle-system related in the KH series you can always correctly say that BbS does it better.

Mejilan

badcrumble said:

I'm a sucker for just about any ARPG, and I definitely have played and enjoyed some that are way worse than KH1. The biggest reason I want KH1 over with isn't that I'm hating it, just that I know it's the most dated game in the series. I'm ready for smoother controls, better platforming, more developed gameplay, and a better camera.

I think it's heavily flawed, but I'm still having a good time bashing and leveling.

I played the GBA CoM through till the very end, but didn't quite beat it. So my Re CoM run (which I plan on doing right after I finish KH1) is going to be something of a retread. Well, a retread of a retread. Haha.

I'm about 60 days into Days so far. Still enjoying it. I'll finish the story mode, but I doubt that I'll touch mission mode.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Just finished Terra's story. Is there any point playing the other two's stories or would I essentially get the same experiences watching them on youtube?

duckroll

Mr_Brit said:
Just finished Terra's story. Is there any point playing the other two's stories or would I essentially get the same experiences watching them on youtube?

What does that even mean? You beat 1/3 of the game, why wouldn't you beat the remaining 2/3?

Mr_Brit said:
Uh... what?

Each character is rather different.

Mejilan said:
I'm a sucker for just about any ARPG, and I definitely have played and enjoyed some that are way worse than KH1. The biggest reason I want KH1 over with isn't that I'm hating it, just that I know it's the most dated game in the series. I'm ready for smoother controls, better platforming, more developed gameplay, and a better camera.

I think it's heavily flawed, but I'm still having a good time bashing and leveling.

I played the GBA CoM through till the very end, but didn't quite beat it. So my Re CoM run (which I plan on doing right after I finish KH1) is going to be something of a retread. Well, a retread of a retread. Haha.

I'm about 60 days into Days so far. Still enjoying it. I'll finish the story mode, but I doubt that I'll touch mission mode.
Yeah... about that better platforming thing. It won't really get better than KH1 when it comes to that. KH2 just has less of it, if that counts.

Princess Skittles said:
Birth by Sleep doesn't have Tech Bonuses.
Pish. It does a much better job of encouraging blocking/guarding than the other games, measly experience bonus or no.
Mr_Brit said:
Each character plays completely differently, goes through a completely different story, and fights a (nearly) completely different set of bosses.

Mejilan

badcrumble said:
Yeah... about that better platforming thing. It won't really get better than KH1 when it comes to that. KH2 just has less of it, if that counts.
Honestly, an improved (or at least more pulled out) camera and less platforming DO count as 'better' IMHO. I'd imagine that the general controls are better and less clunky as well. Heck, Days controls better than KH1, IMHO.

Mejilan said:
Honestly, an improved (or at least more pulled out) camera and less platforming DO count as 'better' IMHO. I'd imagine that the general controls are better and less clunky as well. Heck, Days controls better than KH1, IMHO.
KH1's controls themselves are okay in open spaces, but the camera is just beyond atrocious (see: the grillions of times it bumps up against a wall in Wonderland and just refuses to let you see what you want to see) and can't really be separated from the controls in any fair evaluation.
Fimbulvetr said:
KH2's level design isn't just less platforming focused. It's entirely bland.
Also, this. For the most part, they're (basically) rooms with decorations on the walls.

Mejilan said:

You don't understand.

KH2's level design isn't just less platforming focused. It's entirely bland.

Hell I can say that about any aspect of KH2 other than the graphics and camera.

Mejilan said:

You can tell which worlds were cribbed from which game pretty easily in 358/2 by seeing how many jumps you need to traverse the place. :lol

Hell I can say that about any aspect of KH2 other than the graphics and camera.

And the music. Stop forgetting the music. :mad:

Fimbulvetr said:
The original version of the Hollow Bastion and Hikari orchestral say hi.

Sinister Shadows, Vim and Vigor, and Rowdy Rumble stick their tongue out at you!

Also, Roxas, Rage Awakened, and The Other Promise.

Pureauthor said:
Sinister Shadows, Vim and Vigor, and Rowdy Rumble stick their tongue out at you!

Also, Roxas, Rage Awakened, and The Other Promise.

Monstrous Monstro, Night of Fate, Scherzo Di Notte, Destati, and Kairi are having a party.

You're not invited.

Mr_Brit

Banned
duckroll said:
What does that even mean? You beat 1/3 of the game, why wouldn't you beat the remaining 2/3?
I meant that they're not really new experiences as you're still visiting the same worlds and same characters just seeing it from a different viewpoint and in the end the ending is still exactly the same, isn't it? I'll probably still play through them,I'm just not looking forward to leveling the other two up again.

Top Bottom