• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It bums me out that both next generation consoles have mandatory installs.

Mlatador

Banned
I dont think that OP had the intention to either actively or passively "trolling" WiiU. Dont be so insecure and start debating on semantics because for 99,99% of people clicking this thread its clear that "both next gen systems" means PS4 and xbone.

It's not about whether people get that "both next gen systems" is refering to "PS4 and Xbone", it's about the obvious trolling that the term "both next gen consoles" implies, namely that there are only 2 next gen systems in existence (which is factually wrong). My critisim is not about a subtle semantic difference - it's a pretty obvious one.

Jack cw

I miss a PlayStation boot sound and logo though. I know that many people would even pay money to have it back.
It's not about whether people get that "both next gen systems" is refering to "PS4 and Xbone", it's about the obvious trolling that the term "both next gen consoles" implies, namely that there are only 2 next gen systems in existence (which is factually wrong). My critisim is not about a subtle semantic difference - it's a pretty obvious one.

Pls. Dont feel offended by trival semantics you misinterpreted. OP isnt wrong in its message, that both PS4 and xbone have mandatory installs and excludes WiiU because its not the case there. This insecurity is pretty sad and unecessary as the topic is about mandatory harddrive installs that leave no option for the consumer and has nothing to do with Nintendo. Dont start a war where there is no reason to do so.

Caayn

Install on the PS4 are pretty fast and runs in the background for the majority. The Xbox One however takes ages depending on the game.

USC-fan

Banned
No way!!! Just put a ssd in my ps4... it super charged it.

Ps4 install are crazy fast. I dont see how its a problem.

Eusis

Higher quality assets, streaming from HDD is much quicker than optical disc. Disc drives are probably one of the most likely parts to break down so reducing overall wear helps there as well as noise, too.
It's actually not necessarily higher quality assets (though it basically is that or more assets at once): there's more RAM, and the speed of the blu-ray drive just didn't keep up. If Wikipedia is to be believed (they did cite Eurogamer) the PS4 BR drive is 3 times the speed of the PS3's, but the PS4 has 16 times the RAM. Even if we were to cut off a whole half off for the OS (which isn't what happened) it'd be 8 times the RAM versus 3 times the read speed, and if you're going to fill up that RAM the blu-ray drive just couldn't keep pace and so it's either yet longer loads, or installing the game.

So, yeah, the way the PS4 handles installs is really as close as we'll get to plug-and-play with current technology while sticking with optical. There's always solid state storage, but that's just too small for what we need, or too expensive anyway.

I don't see how anyone on ps4 can see this as a negative. You honestly don't even have enough time to make a sandwich that's how fast the installs are. I didn't even notice it for second son.

Eusis

I don't see how anyone on ps4 can see this as a negative. You honestly don't even have enough time to make a sandwich that's how fast the installs are. I didn't even notice it for second son.
I imagine it's actually much longer, but since you're playing the game that's not a concern for most people. Not that some people aren't satisfied, but they're the ones who WANT to let the system sit and fully install first, rather than the OP who basically wants the opposite.

Mlatador

Banned
I miss a PlayStation boot sound and logo though. I know that many people would even pay money to have it back.

Pls. Dont feel offended by trival semantics you misinterpreted. OP isnt wrong in its message, that both PS4 and xbone have mandatory installs and excludes WiiU because its not the case there. This insecurity is pretty sad and unecessary as the topic is about mandatory harddrive installs that leave no option for the consumer and has nothing to do with Nintendo. Dont start a war where there is no reason to do so.

You may have noticed it, but I am not talking about the OP, I'm talking about the OP "title". There is no misinterpretation on my end.

Shin-Ra

Meh, I took the option to fully install if it was there, and the alternative isn't very pleasant.

Honestly the XB1 and especially PS4 did the next best thing: partial install, let you play ASAP, then it'll finish installing while you play. So I didn't have to wait a long time when, say, renting AC4, I could just get going, then quit out when the patch was done, let it install, then get back to it. It's smoother and faster on PS3, so it ends up closer than the PS3 was (and the last major game I played without a real install, TLoU, took so long to load that I kind of hated that Naughty Dog didn't just force a damn install anyway.)
TLoU loads nice and quick from an SSD. The dust particles barely get a chance to fill the screen.

edit: that's the PSN download version of the game though. Or the GoW: Ascension demo. The PS4 download and Blu-ray versions should be speedy from HDD or SSD.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
In installed every game for the 360 as soon as I could and never bought any for the PS3 only had PS+. I like the installs.

It's just yet another reason why consoles are just devolving into bad PCs. These companies forget the simplicity of consoles is why I want a console.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying mandatory installations are difficult. But it's another step toward PC behavior.

I'd say this is a step back from that, the installs on the PS3 certainly felt as though consoles were moving towards a PC experience, but it's managed in such a way on the PS4 that it feels more like a console experience again. Installs don't feel much different to popping in a disk and playing a game on the PS2.

Starving children bum me out, game installs are a minor annoyance.

PCs have always require the game the be installed and disc be in as well so it happening on consoles is not surprising.

What sucks is that 500GB is not enough anymore. At least you can swap HDD on PS4 and the install times are quick on PS4.

News Bot

Banned
Sometimes install times can be fucking atrocious (Metal Gear Solid 4). But normally I get by with:

Masturbate.
Make a sandwich.
Get a drink.
Call buddy.
Masturbate.
Watch a 20 minute TV show.
Work out.
Masturbate.

Sometimes install times can be fucking atrocious (Metal Gear Solid 4). But normally I get by with:

Masturbate.
Make a sandwich.
Get a drink.
Call buddy.
Masturbate.
Work out.
Masturbate.

Have you tried installing GT5 or GTA5? Those games took about 40 minutes each to install, MGS4 only took 16 minutes in comparison. Thats what i call atrocious. The PS4 is a god send compared to the PS3, even installing a gig of data takes much longer on the PS3.

omonimo

Banned
Am I the only one bummed out over this? I was always a console gamer growing up and I'm use to instant action, you put your game media in and it plays. Now it looks like those days are long gone, and never coming back. I don't know, there's just something incredibly sad about it and it's kinda keeping me from jumping in.

Anyone else feel the same way?
I was of the same advise before to try on ps4. I have to admit I was completely wrong. Loading are so fast, you can delete your game installed if you not have enough space but it's exactly the same issue of the ps3. Big hdd is no more optional. The good thing is you don't have to wait more even if you want to reinstall a game.

MilkybKid

Neo Member

I think all hes doing is pointing out that the phrasing should of been "of the three" instead of both, as the topic is "next gen consoles having mandatory installs" it is quite important to point out that one of them does in fact not have them.

Even tho in some cases I would like to be able to at least put some data onto the flash memory it has as i imagine it would speed up some loading times but i digress.

My main issue with the PS4/XBO installs is the displaying of how long its going to take. Now while you think the PS4 install is quick it can be ... deceptive. Infamous was a case of this. The install bar for the game on the PS menu went by quick, but then I loaded into the game and was treated to a second install screen, so it wasn't as quick as i expected.

The Xbox One is even worse, with its percentage complete sometimes having sod all to do with how long its going to take (reports of the first "percent" taking a long time as its actually downloading patches)

I am mostly OK with it because of the benefits it brings, even if it does eliminate of the advantages consoles have over a PC. But i think both companies should do more on the reporting of how long things are going to take, and be truthful about it, that would go a long way to helping people be more ok with the installs.

Have you tried installing GT5 or GTA5? Those games took about 40 minutes each to install, MGS4 only took 16 minutes in comparison. Thats what i call atrocious. The PS4 is a god send compared to the PS3, even installing a gig of data takes much longer on the PS3.

The first full gran turismo release on the PS3.... god that was a painful install process.

omonimo

Banned

Masturbate.
Make a sandwich.
Get a drink.
Call buddy.
Masturbate.
Work out.
Masturbate.
Jeez give a break to your penis.

I'm fine with it. I just wish you could choose not to download the 20 gigs of uncompressed audio.

Same here. I wish there were more options. I wouldn't mind compressed audio and streaming video off the disc, especially if it's the case where the disc has to be in the system for the game to play even if it's installed.

Carl

As has already been said a million times, PS4 does it so quick it may as well be non-existant. In fact, it's easy to forget that it actually installs.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Thread of the future: "I miss load screens"

Damn straight:
xdyaEit.jpg

vqPX6Mr.jpg

2UN4RJO.jpg

I have a Wii U and a PS4, and I definitely know which approach I prefer. The Wii U might get me into a game straight away, but it runs its noisy disc drive constantly and ends up wasting more of my life through longer load times. The PS4 might make me wait a minute or so to begin with, but then it installs in the background and when it's done I never have to hear the drive again.

LAA

Hmm I thinks its for the best really. Means faster loading and etc.
It does make me concerned for memory issues though. I don't think 500GB will be reasonable enough, maybe not even 1TB, I think 2TB is a more resonable size.

Like for me already, I think just over half of my 500GB is used up already, and the bulk of the used space is retail games, which I only have like 4 installed, whereas compared to PS3, I have like 130GB and I've never had a need to really delete stuff.
I think it can be manageable if you delete games regularly, I think I'll be upgrading to 1TB eventually though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Lack of mindshare alone is enough to explain a good chunk of these comments.
It's not just that a lot of people don't think of Wii U as current (next gen is five+ years out) gen. A lot of people don't think about Wii U at all unless someone specifically brings it up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm actually always disappointed by ps4 install times. I usually put the disk in and sit down with leftover pizza or something and it's done before I can even smear the grease all over my face.

With ps3 I usually had time to savor a nice chianti.

geordiemp

I'm actually always disappointed by ps4 install times. I usually put the disk in and sit down with leftover pizza or something and it's done before I can even smear the grease all over my face.

Maybe you cant afford the nice wine after buying the Ps4 (LOL)......Ps3 you had fine wine and maybe nice dinner, Ps4 times and its last night's Domino's...?

Seriously,..When we get a game on Ps4 we always rush to turn on Ps4 put it in the tray, and then dither around for the cup of tea ...(no wine for me)

So I never notice the few minutes required, its nota problem.

I don't have a Xone but it reads like its allot more painful, hopefully they will get a fix...

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Gir_and_pizza.gif

Hasney

I think mandatory installs are the stupidiest shit ever.

Well, they're not. If a developer knows that everyone is running from a hard drive rather than some slow ass disc, they can make better decisions regarding development. One example would be optimizing the texture streaming as you enter new locations knowing that they don't have to facilitate an inferior medium.

Mandatory installs just make sense, especially the way PS4 does them.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So you'd be okay with 4x longer load times? That's what you'd get if you tried to stream everything from a Blu-ray vs a hard disk.

Of course nobody would be ok with that. If that were the case we'd be in a thread asking why there isn't a mandatory install of games to speed up load times.

NewGame

Banned
The WiiU does a great job of avoiding this all together and generally is the fastest to 'get to a game' from the start menu. However the PS4/Xbone are not consoles as we know but rather a sort of semi-PC media device. This is what you all wanted.

Clearly OP doesn't own a PS4. It's nearly instant. Yes, managing it will be a bit inconvenient but that's why I'm sticking to discs on major PS4 games. Deleting and installing is pretty quick. It's downloading that takes a while - though that too isn't so bad because the install system works on digital games, too. Still, at some point I'll need a bigger HDD.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The other good thing about installs, is that it means no noisy spinning disc when playing a game.

The only thing I wish they had was some way to not need the disc in the drive - just use it like a steam works disc for installing.

psychotron

Install is no issue on PS4, and I actually kind of prefer it with my new hybrid drive, because games load extremely fast. XBox, on the other hand, is not so good. It took me nearly an hour to play Ryse from the time I put the disc in. I know they're making progress, but that's just brutal.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The WiiU does a great job of avoiding this all together and generally is the fastest to 'get to a game' from the start menu. However the PS4/Xbone are not consoles as we know but rather a sort of semi-PC media device. This is what you all wanted.

Pop in Lego City Undercover and get back to me.

Majanew

Banned
As others have stated, PS4 install times are quick and it doesn't bother me thanks to how quick it is. XB1 is very slow with installing. Hopefully MS can improve it.

MJLord

Eh it's a one time thing when I put the game in for the first time. I find it hard to be annoyed about it, I just browse Reddit or Gaf till it loads.

Games install pretty quickly, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not going to go away, it is definitely going to be the norm going forward.

Top Bottom