• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It bums me out that both next generation consoles have mandatory installs.

pixlexic

Banned
I buy everything digitally anyway so its not a issue for me.

on that note:
Dynamic installs are good but preloading would be better.

Alkanida

Neo Member
Wow, so you'd rather go back to playing games from disc?

BluRay Disc reading will never touch the speed of an HDD.
Like others said, on PS4 you're waiting not longer than 2minutes and you can start playing it.

if the quality gets better i would even wait an hour before i can play.

give reasons why you're not liking it.

is it the space on HDD? Cant you wait a few minutes for more quality textures etc.?

Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are NOT next generation.

Wii U, 3DS and Vita are also current generation and none of them have mandatory installs.

Terra_Ex

Considering my original PS1 + PS2 consoles both died of laser related issues, no, I'm quite happy that they are both easing the burden on the laser and transferring the data to the hdd.

Jburton

Banned
PS4 has the best of both worlds in terms of its way of dealing with installs, really quick but with all the benefits ........ and with preloading rumoured to be coming in a FW update it seems it will only get better.

I don't see what the big problem is?

PS4 does it so well that it becomes a huge advantage at the end.

Xbox One on the other hand reminds me of the PS3, so slow... how roles have changed...

Am I the only one bummed out over this? I was always a console gamer growing up and I'm use to instant action, you put your game media in and it plays. Now it looks like those days are long gone, and never coming back. I don't know, there's just something incredibly sad about it and it's kinda keeping me from jumping in.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Huh... You haven't playing a console game since when?

Because over PS1/PS2/PS3 generations starting a game is not "instant" at all.
Loading times, splash screens & updates all over the place.

PS4 is the most "instant-action" console I've ever seen.

It installs really fast. You leave it on standby and It's always updated. There's almost no loading...

antibolo

Banned
I still think it's dumb that the PS4/Xbone games install everything. Stuff that could be streamed just fine from the disc (movies, music) should still be accessed from the disc directly, and not wasting storage space. You need to disc to be in the drive while you play anyway.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
When its as fast as PS4 then I have no issue. I also have a 1TB 7200RPM HDD and am in great shape when it comes to storage.

Alkanida

Neo Member
I still think it's dumb that the PS4/Xbone games install everything. Stuff that could be streamed just fine from the disc (movies, music) should still be accessed from the disc directly, and not wasting storage space. You need to disc to be in the drive while you play anyway.

But what if the mandatory install is enhancing the lifetime of your disc drive?

as far as i know the disc is not needed anymore (only to start up)

bro1

Banned
It's a pretty minor inconvenience IMO. It speeds up load times and allows the disc drive to last longer

It would bum me out if they were not so incredibly fast on the PS4. I mean hell I was playing Infamous maybe a 20 seconds after popping the disc in. In all honesty I haven't even noticed an install yet besides NBA 2K14 and only because of the play as it installs ability. Was funny starting a game with no announcers or crowd sounds and then slowly hearing th crowd sounds load in along with the announcing.

So far so good.

suikodan

PS4 installs in the background while you play? Dunno about xb1 but there's no issue with one console. Unless I am radically mistaken. I've never waited to install on ps4.

^this

I could understand if you were talking about PS360 installs but for me as well, PS4 games are accessible "almost" instantly the first time I boot them.

Petrae

I understand the "why", but the fact that installs rapidly fill a hard drive and inevitably force users to delete data for new installs is a problem. Not enough hard drive space means tough decisions: What game(s) do you delete? If I get this game, how much HDD space will it cost me? Do I have to spend money on a bigger hard drive instead of that game I really wanted?

That's a big reason why I'm staying away from PS4/XBO. Memory management is a pain in the ass to keep considering. I had to do it constantly for the last couple of years for PS3. I'd rather deal with the access time and be able to play as many games concurrently as I wish, just like I did for every console I owned before Gen7.

antibolo

Banned
But what if the mandatory install is enhancing the lifetime of your disc drive?

Not using something does not "enhance its lifetime". You can't "enhance" a lifetime, you're just using less of it's "lifetime" when you're using it less. And what's the point of owning anything if it's for not using it because you're scared of burning up its lifetime? Might as well never turn on your PS4 (or any other piece of electronics) then, they will last forever! Best cost/lifetime purchase ratio ever!

a916

Am I the only one bummed out over this? I was always a console gamer growing up and I'm use to instant action, you put your game media in and it plays. Now it looks like those days are long gone, and never coming back. I don't know, there's just something incredibly sad about it and it's kinda keeping me from jumping in.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I hope you realize that installing games on the PS4 (and probably X1) means the game starts up faster than starting up from a disc... the disc is just there to confirm you have the game.

Have you thought about going all digital and skipping the step of "putting in your game media"

Alphahawk

I still hold that it 's a bad precident, I mean 20 sec installs on PS4 aren't horrible, but what about with PS5. Will devs say "ok well it's more impressive so we can get away with 2 mins", what about late model PS4 games?

MercuryLS

Banned
It's the best thing, I hate console seeking noise. It's one of the reasons I loved Xbox 360 optional installs. I'm glad it's mandatory now. There was no other choice, discs are too slow to keep then hardware fed.

For some reason, I totally get what you mean. On my 360 I love the option to just stick my games in and have them play...but 99% of the time sitting there and manually installing a game, for me, is part of the fun! It's just nice not to have to if for some reason I don't want to.

Thanks for getting me. The good thing about it being optional is that if you just want to play, you can put the disc and play; if you'd rather install first, you can do that. It's better to install, yeah, but sometimes you aren't willing to wait nor free up HDD space.

Well, they're not. If a developer knows that everyone is running from a hard drive rather than some slow ass disc, they can make better decisions regarding development. One example would be optimizing the texture streaming as you enter new locations knowing that they don't have to facilitate an inferior medium.

Mandatory installs just make sense, especially the way PS4 does them.

Devs would make their game considering the worst possible situation, AKA slow-ass disc, and just make sure the game is functional when installed. They have been working on slow-ass discs for a long time now, they are able to do it. I myself avoid long loading screens as much as possible, but the success of the PS1 showed people don't care about waiting for loading.

Eusis

TLoU loads nice and quick from an SSD. The dust particles barely get a chance to fill the screen.

edit: that's the PSN download version of the game though. Or the GoW: Ascension demo. The PS4 download and Blu-ray versions should be speedy from HDD or SSD.
Yeah, I know it's going to be better with the PS4 unless something went completely wrong, I brought TLoU up as kind of highlighting what happens when you DON'T have an install.

Which is probably what you didn't realize due to having the PSN version: the blu-ray doesn't do a hard install. It seems to cache a lot of data to the hard drive similar to an install, and if you shut off the system immediately afterwards without exiting to the menu or whatever it'll load snappy, but if that cache isn't there for whatever reason you're in for a grotesquely long wait to play the game.

That does seem to imply the "correct" way to play the game is to just shut the system down when you're done or at least quit to the XMB, but I think I ended up selecting "quit game" each time and presumably it emptied its cache in case I went to the MP, and so every time I play again it's like the Morrowind save. At least it didn't do this every time I died and restarted from a checkpoint, that's the difference between annoying and unplayable.
Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are NOT next generation.

Wii U, 3DS and Vita are also current generation and none of them have mandatory installs.
Yeah well it sounds kind of stupid when people refer to upcoming games as "current generation" when they're the next gen experiences we are STILL waiting for. When the current library is mostly a few launch exclusives that won't likely stand out for the long run and a lot of cross gen titles it comes off as talking about a baby just learning how to walk as the "current generation" when the real current generation is in their teens at youngest.

I suppose we could at least compromise at something like new generation, there's a debate to be had as whether you want to start calling a generation "current" when it launches or when it's actually the standard everyone's on with the prior generation of consoles being mostly unsupported, but there really isn't much ambiguity that it's the newest generation of consoles.

Alternatively, maybe people could just avoid using "current generation" where it sticks out like a sore thumb. Some people sound like they're trying to convince themselves of something they don't actually believe in when they awkwardly put it in places where "next generation" or just not mentioning generation makes more sense.

ElDuderino

Lol what. Yes they did- they have awful DRM. They tie your digital games to your hardware.
M$ wanted to keep gamers from sharing games. Dont think Nintendo has stopped me from loaning or borrowing games with my friends. Bitch all you want about games being tied to hardware for digital but they weren't forcing it down your throat like M$ was planning.

Alkanida

Neo Member
Not using something does not "enhance its lifetime". You can't "enhance" a lifetime, you're just using less of it's "lifetime" when you're using it less. And what's the point of owning anything if it's for not using it because you're scared of burning up its lifetime? Might as well never turn on your PS4 (or any other piece of electronics) then, they will last forever! Best cost/lifetime purchase ratio ever!

wtf?

lets say your disc drive lives for 1000hrs of reading discs...if the mandatory installs make you use the disc drive less then of course it will brick later than using it all the time.

If I only use my PS4 once in week it will definitely live longer than a PS4 used daily

Lo-Volt

I'm not trying to say that they're invincible at all, but hard drives and SSDs are equipped to read and write data a lot more frequently than Blu-ray drives and the like (think about how much punishment they have to endure in computers). My anecdotal experience of which 360 drives die horrible deaths last generation seems to reinforce that. I didn't like mandatory installs in consoles in the abstract, but in practice, I think it's necessary.

Raoh

If I remember correctly devs wanted to do this with the 360 as well but had to take into consideration that not every xbox 360 came with a hard drive. Same with something about not every 360 came with an hdmi port.

Now that all those things are standard its pretty much expected isn't it?

Top Bottom